Spell Checker hack.

Posted by Xenos

I was wonder if we could possibly install the spell checker hack I saw on VBulliten the other day? I don't have the link anymore, but it might be useful.

Posted by Xero

Agreed. Since I'm not 100% good with my english, I think it would help me to see where I make mistakes so I can improve on my spelling.

Posted by Iris

I like the idea and hopefully Jesse won't mind installing it. We can ask people to use it if they can't post legibly. It really shouldn't cause any problems.

Posted by Zeta

No. If we type 'Ragnarok' and spell check it'll end up as 'Kangaroo'. That happened in the GBA version of ToP.

'We call the ancient war... Kangaroo.'

Posted by Xenos

Therein lies the answer why I never played the GBA version.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Iris: I like the idea and hopefully Jesse won't mind installing it. We can ask people to use it if they can't post legibly. It really shouldn't cause any problems.

I'm thinking the way most people here type, it would overload the spell checker and cause the site to crash. Or at least cause some major lag, lol. Actually, it isn't a bad idea. Of couse, anyone who is really that worried about their spelling can just use an outside spell checker or something. I usually do this. I just can't see people who typically don't care about their spelling anyway actually using a hack like this.

Posted by Arcadios

It would help newbies be more liked and not be flamed cause of there horrendious spelling, grammer etc. or they might be considered even less intelligent if they don't use it.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Mr.Nintendo: It would help newbies be more liked and not be flamed cause of there horrendious spelling, grammer etc. or they might be considered even less intelligent if they don't use it.

Well I dunno if the spell checker can change this: "I dun no"

That wouldn't work.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Mr.Nintendo: It would help newbies be more liked and not be flamed cause of there horrendious spelling, grammer etc. or they might be considered even less intelligent if they don't use it.

Ha! Please... They can't even find the edit button to prevent from double posting. How do you expect they will use a spell check hack?

Posted by Xenos

I dunno. Some people are too lazy to use a spell checker outside of VGC - it would be nice/convenient to be able to just do it at a press of a button.

Posted by Iris

I doubt a spellchecker would automatically change words, considering it would have no idea what most people say. It might just underline. It'd be a nice feature to have, and we can ask people who can't post legibly to use it.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Iris: considering it would have no idea what most people say. It might just underline.

Quoting Flame ghost: Well I dunno if the spell checker can change this: "I dun no"

That wouldn't work.

yup.

As for the underline part, I guess we'd see a lot of red lines on post. Colorfull threads that would make :rolleyes:

Posted by Xenos

Under in "preview posts."

Posted by lameboyadvance

IIRC the spellchecker hack just underlines the words while in post preview, and then allows you to change one and/or all of the words underlined to suggested alternatives.

...But I also agree that most n00bs aren't even able to find the Edit/Go Advanced buttons, let alone know how to use a checker. :rolleyes:

Posted by Sean the Wicked

If people can't spell they shouldn't be posting here because they'd obviously be under the age of thirteen.

Little errors now and than can't hurt, but sentences that look like a quote out of Arfenhouse should be where the line is drawn.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Sean the Wicked: If people can't spell they shouldn't be posting here because they'd obviously be under the age of thirteen.

Little errors now and than can't hurt, but sentences that look like a quote out of Arfenhouse should be where the line is drawn.

Felt an urge to point that out, despite it being a little error. >_>

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Quoting Zeta: Felt an urge to point that out, despite it being a little error. >_>

I never actually learned the difference between than and then, so I take a 50/50 guess at which one I'm supposed to use.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Sean the Wicked: I never actually learned the difference between than and then, so I take a 50/50 guess at which one I'm supposed to use.

http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/than.html

Then = Time. (Back then we knew what was expected of us.)
Than = Not time. (He is taller than I am.)

Posted by Xenos

So ... concerning the hack, Jesse?

Posted by Slade

Quoting Sean the Wicked: If people can't spell they shouldn't be posting here because they'd obviously be under the age of thirteen.

You change tenses there, but I'm not picky.

It's an alright suggestion, I guess. It'd affect everything, right? Blogs, all that. And it'd just underline stuff you spelled wrong as you were writing it, correct? I'd hate something that'd fix errors automatically, especially if I was purposely misspelling a word. liek, hueg, etc.

Posted by Crazy K

I just use the Google toolbar with spell checker, works very well.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Then = Time. (Back then we knew what was expected of us.)
Than = Not time. (He is taller than I am.)

Owned.

Anyways, I like this idea. Not sure if I would use it, since any word I'm unsure of, I just double-check using dictionary.com. But, it still a good idea nonetheless. Definitely a decent hack to put in place.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Those that can't spell wouldn't even use it!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D There's always Google. If it was on vBulletin, then it might be in the next version by default.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92202

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Sean the Wicked: I never actually learned the difference between than and then, so I take a 50/50 guess at which one I'm supposed to use.

You can't spell. Obviously you're under the age of thirteen so you shouldn't be posting here.

Also, anyone who doesn't know the difference between "then" and "than" is ****ing retarded. Sorry, but it's true.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, at least be confused about something like "who" and "whom" (he, she/him, her for simple use.) That's not as embarrassing.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Also you should do a grammar tool.