Dell are crooks

Posted by Klarth

http://virus.org.ua/unix/keylog/klog.htm

DISTURBING!

Posted by Kit

I've never used Dell, and I'm glad about it now.

I'd hate to be reading this on a Dell right now. It sucks, really.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'm reading this on a Dell right now :cookie:

Anywho, this reminds me of that "you're being monitored when you use an LCD" thing.

Posted by Klarth

http://www.engadget.com/2005/06/16/the-dell-keylogger-conspiracy-hoax/

...never mind

Posted by Kit

Aw, my friend uses a Dell, and he told me to get one, I wanted to prove him wrong. =(

Posted by Kanashuri

I wish that story were true. Then i could laugh at al the dell users because I depise them. Im happy with my toshiba :hugs:

Quoted post: I wish that story were true. Then i could laugh at al the dell users because I depise them. Im happy with my toshiba :hugs:

You make it sound like they're mac users or something...

Posted by higbvuyb

LOL KLARTH TRICKED AGAIN!
Seriously, Dell wouldn't break the law to get some useless data about someone.

Posted by Kit

Except for their credit/debit card number, which they still couldn't get unless they bought something online, otherwise you're right.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

The only thing I ever liked about Dell were the PC cases they use, since they're easy to open. Besides that, the CEO needs to be raped by an army of 12 inch black c0cks.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Maybe you missed the part where it was a hoax, smart guy.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Grave Wisdom: The only thing I ever liked about Dell were the PC cases they use, since they're easy to open.

Yes, but beyond that is a whole slew of proprietary garbage. Actually, it's not really garbage unless you want to make any upgrades. Then, you have to get inventive. I have a Dell Dimension (forgot exact model number) and wanted to switch everything to a clear acrylic case. Simple enough, right? Not as such. Dell decided to make the case fan double as the CPU cooling fan. Cheap much? To do this, they have the cooling fan on the case, and a green plastic piece of duct (for lack of a better description) that connected it to the heatsink. Still shouldn't be a problem, right? Wrong again. Dell has their own proprietary heatsink setup. They have this goofy little plastic frame that is attached to the motherboard, and these goofy little plastic clips that hold the heatsink in place. I had to use a dremmel tool to custom modify the frame so I could put a real heatsink/cooling fan combo on it before I transfered everything.

Basically, I think Dells are great computers for people who don't know much about computers. They are as user friendly as the next PC and they last a good while. I've never had a problem with one in that aspect (other than replacing the cheap factory power supply). But, for anyone into mods, such as trasfering to a new case, they are horrible! At least this is my experience with the Dimension series. I have little reason to believe their other models would be much different.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing some upgrades. Quickly abandoned that thought and decided to wait until I had enough money to make my own or something. Too much of a hassle.

Posted by Raptor

I'm using a 6 year-old Dell desktop. It has been to Arizona and back on several occasions. I have made just a few upgrades, including replacing the video card, sound card, hard drive, and original CD-ROM and CD-RW drives with DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives. The original motherboard still functions perfectly fine, and I am still happily running at 933 MHz. I hope to stick it out with this same computer with another couple years. Dell rules.