Archive board

Posted by gamerz

that way, instead of pruning large threads and deleting the overall post count, you can simply move those into the Archive board. Which I would name something like "the vault".

Posted by Klarth

Jesse's not THAT much of a statistics whore, else he would have done so a very, very long time ago.

Posted by Xero

I've seen many forums with a board like this. I dunno whats the point really. Just takes space and nobody would really check it out.

Posted by gamerz

ok, I'll explain. Ever had this happen to you? You do a search on google or some other search engine only to get a 404 page (page not found) only to send you to the index or some other page? Well, that's what this prevents.

Posted by Klarth

...If they're in the archive, chances are they'd be shitty threads. Why the hell would anyone be looking for them?

Posted by gamerz

It's an seo thing, thats why many sites do it. If you delete the thread, then you delete all of the potential keywords in that thread that could have been searched for. It's like making a keyword rich page and then throwing it away. What help does that do?

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting gamerz: that way, instead of pruning large threads and deleting the overall post count, you can simply move those into the Archive board. Which I would name something like "the vault".

He has a bunch of backups of the boards. You can always just look in those.

Posted by gamerz

Quoting GameMiestro: He has a bunch of backups of the boards. You can always just look in those.

when you back up a board, it backs up everything, it comes a large .tar.gz file, and the only way to use this is through cpanel or phpmyadmin and when that happens, the entire thing is uploaded. That means all posts, members, pm's etc... on this board would be wiped, replaced by the old ones. This means that he would have to make a new directory on the site for the extra vbulletin forum. And thats if he keeps every single backup... most people only keep the most recent one and delete the old ones as they take up huge amounts of space.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Klarth: .... Why the hell would anyone be looking for them?

Quoting Flame ghost: nobody would really check it out.

confirmed.

Quoting Klarth: If they're in the archive, chances are they'd be shitty threads

Yeah nobody really searches for shizit on google gamerz.

Posted by gamerz

Quoting Flame ghost: confirmed.

Yeah nobody really searches for shizit on google gamerz.

flameghost, shutup. It gets billions of searches a day, stupid.

Posted by Xero

Ok here is an example of a thread that would go in the archives: "OMFG free IPOD!!!11"

So if somebody searches for a free Ipod, that person probably wont join anyway.

Posted by gamerz

Quoting Flame ghost: Ok here is an example of a thread that would go in the archives: "OMFG free IPOD!!!11"

So if somebody searches for a free Ipod, that person probably wont join anyway.

knowing jesse, those kinds of threads probably would go in there... But anyways, I'm talking about all of the threads that have content.

Posted by Xero

Threads with content wont end up in the archives.

Posted by Hyper

http://www.vgchat.com/archive/index.php

Posted by Iris

Like Klarth said, an archive board is unnecessary. Most deleted and locked threads aren't contributions to the board, just crappy threads. Rather than saving these, it's better to remove them completely, to keep the board from getting cluttered, and in many cases, keep the threads from being viewed. Besides, most deleted threads were never long enough to catch google hits, and we'd rather not have new members attracted to a thread worthy of deletion.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting gamerz: that way, instead of pruning large threads and deleting the overall post count, you can simply move those into the Archive board. Which I would name something like "the vault".

*Looks at who suggested this.* er, you're trying to destroy all my sites, so obviously any suggestion you make is not a good one!!!! :D

Posted by gamerz

Quoting Jesse Smith: *Looks at who suggested this.* er, you're trying to destroy all my sites, so obviously any suggestion you make is not a good one!!!! :D

I don't have to try. Your sites are already destroying themselves. Well, that's what you get for scraping content.:-D

Posted by Xero

Quoting gamerz: I don't have to try. Your sites are already destroying themselves. Well, that's what you get for scraping content.:-D

I dunno where you got that VGC is on self-destruct mode and It doesn't really have a scraping content. All boards have threads on topic.

Posted by gamerz

I'm not referring to vgchat, he has over 49 others.

Posted by Xero

Holy! How do you know that?

Posted by gamerz

because, I goto SEO forums and unfortunately, so does he... And btw, you ever try following some of the links at the bottom of world-of-playstation.com?

Posted by Xero

I dint even visit world-of-playstation.com...

Posted by gamerz

well, thats another site that's his. Just look at what the link on the "message board" graphic points to...

Posted by Iris

All right, that's nice. I wasn't aware Jesse had that many.

He loves us the most though. :-*

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Flame ghost: Holy! How do you know that?

Correction, around 100 sites!!! :D:D:D:D:D