I want a book to move me

Posted by Kamek

I really have been looking for this for a long time. A book to move me, or to inspire me. I want something to make me cry. I want something to make me thing. I want a book to do at least one of these two things for me. I don't post here often, but I definitely would like to check back to see if anyone had any reccommendations for me.

What books moved you, and why did they?

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Look For Me By the Moonlight by Mary Downing Hahn.

It was a tragic romance, but not the cliche kind you see in those Oxygen movies every day when you're flipping through TV channels. I don't want to spoil anything, but the book kept me interested the entire time, and then just kinda made me sad. Depressing. In any case, it was very good.

Another book, that every person on the face of the Earth should read is Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't read Fight Club because of the movie, I watched the movie because I read Fight Club. It is easily one of the catchiest books, it's easy to follow, a very quick read because of the aforementioned reasons, and is very excellent writing. It really makes you think about the world and society's problems, if you care at all that is, and kinda makes you rethink some of the things you do in life.

My suggestions anyway.

Posted by Klarth

Daniel Keyes - Flowers For Algernon.

The plot's a little thick, go find a synopsis. It's easy to follow as it's in diary form.

Posted by Delilah

Flowers For Algernon - BY Daniel Keyes

Fever, 1793 - by Laurie Haulse Anderson (though is kind of a girly book)

The Bluest Eye - by Toni Morrison

The Green Mile - I forgot the author's name lol

All four made me Cry

Posted by Fate

Socrates In Love

A tragic love story. That movie "A Walk To Remember", I believe, was based on the general story. I imagined myself and my boyfriend in the story, which made the idea of death hurt a whole lot more.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Princess Fate: Socrates In Love

A tragic love story. That movie "A Walk To Remember", I believe, was based on the general story. I imagined myself and my boyfriend in the story, which made the idea of death hurt a whole lot more.

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book, and my friends (girls) all said it would move me. I mean I was teary, for sure, but there was no left over magic.

I bought "Siddhartha" today. I heard it was a moral allagory type book. I'm looking foward to reading it.

Posted by Kiyoshi

The Young Wizard's Series. especially number eight. Wizards at War. It had an awesome ending.

Posted by Draxamus

Lost Boys --Orson Scott Card (HINT: THIS BOOK HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT VAMPIRE MOVIE)

Posted by NeXidala

This may sound cliche, but I just finsihed reading the Da Vinci Code, and WHOA! It totally changed my perspective on everything related to that topic. Some of the information they gave was a little mind-blowing, and since I've grown up believing everything that was a lie in the book. I really do think it's a great read, and even if you don't agree with the authors point of view, it's still a really intellectual, interesting book. There's plenty of plot twists, and a busload of things you would never expect. It will have you on your toes the whole way! At least, that is the way I felt.

Posted by Slade

^I personally haven't read it yet, but I've seen loads of things disproving all the "mindblowing facts" it holds. So I'll eventually read it... as fiction.

Orson Scott Card is an amazing writer. Ender's Game is an excellent book he's written. There's a whole Ender's Game series, and each book brings up good questions, so there's lots to think about.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Slade: ^I personally haven't read it yet, but I've seen loads of things disproving all the "mindblowing facts" it holds. So I'll eventually read it... as fiction.

Well, after I finished with the whole thing, I thought of it as fiction, too. But, it was still an excellent book. And I recommend it to anyone who wants a nail-bitter. BTW- HAs anyone heard of the sad attempt when they made "The Da Vinci Code...for XBOX!" Man, I saw a review on it, and from the looks of it.....it blowed!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I don't care what anyone else here says, because their books pale in comparison to the following:

"One Hundred Years of Solitude," by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"The *** of Small Things," by Arundhati Roy
"Five People You Meet in Heaven," by Mitch Albom
"Darkness at Noon," by Arthur Koestler
"Ulysses" by James Joyce

buy these books and be a changed man

the stars are G O D

Posted by Klarth

The Da Vinci code is horribly written. It's travel fiction - Just something to read on a two-hour train journey or so. Still enjoyed it, I guess.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Klarth: The Da Vinci code is horribly written. It's travel fiction - Just something to read on a two-hour train journey or so. Still enjoyed it, I guess.

Have you read Angels & Demons? The book that came before The Da Vinci Code? I don't see how people can think these books were horribly written when they were just so filled with information (whether it's true or not) and has so many plot twisters!

Posted by Shade

I liked the Dante Club by Matthew Pearl a lot more than any of Dan Brown's books. It was kind of like The Da Vinci Code, only with better writting.

Quoting Ladydragonrider: The Green Mile - I forgot the author's name lol

That would be Stephen King.

Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting NeXidala: Have you read Angels & Demons? The book that came before The Da Vinci Code? I don't see how people can think these books were horribly written when they were just so filled with information (whether it's true or not) and has so many plot twisters!

I read Angels & Demons first, and I enjoyed it a whole lot more.

Posted by Delilah

One more book from me: "G.o.d. Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian"
I forgot the author's name, though. It was definately moving- not in the way Algernon or the lost Boys was, but more like the Da Vinci Code sort of moving.