Browser issues.

Posted by Raptor

I have been experiencing a couple of unpleasant browser-related issues, lately. For awhile, every time I opened a new window in Firefox, the entire browser would freeze up for a good 30 seconds, then resume operating. I managed to alleviate this problem by uninstalling then reinstalling the latest version, but it still freezes up on occasion as soon as I open new windows, only for a shorter duration of time.

Even more perplexing is what Internet Explorer is doing now. When I attempt to save certain images, the image file name always appears as "untitled" in the "save as" prompt, and I can only save it as a bitmap file, no matter which format the actual picture is in. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, or has any ideas what could be doing this anomaly. A spyware scan found nothing harmful.

Posted by Boner

I have been having the same problem with FireFox. I think I still need the updated version as well. As far as IE and the image saving, I haven't noticed that.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Raptor: I have been experiencing a couple of unpleasant browser-related issues, lately. For awhile, every time I opened a new window in Firefox, the entire browser would freeze up for a good 30 seconds, then resume operating. I managed to alleviate this problem by uninstalling then reinstalling the latest version, but it still freezes up on occasion as soon as I open new windows, only for a shorter duration of time.

Even more perplexing is what Internet Explorer is doing now. When I attempt to save certain images, the image file name always appears as "untitled" in the "save as" prompt, and I can only save it as a bitmap file, no matter which format the actual picture is in. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, or has any ideas what could be doing this anomaly. A spyware scan found nothing harmful.

The second problem I have frequently, though I don't know how to fix it.

The first one is similar to what I've experienced in the past half hour. The whole browser seemed to freeze. I just exited, though. Now Firefox won't start up at all, so I'm using Opera.

Try running multiple adware and spyware checkers and restarting. I'll be doing the same soon.

Edit:

How odd! Three people, same problem. Could it be Firefox's new version? I think I still have the old version's install file saved. I'll try installing that again.

Posted by Trigger

I'm still running the first release of Firefox 1.0 and I have not experienced this problem ever since I have installed it. Internet Explorer is fine for me, also. For those of you experiencing the "untitled.bmp" issue, Microsoft has addressed this and provided a [url=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978&Product=ie600]solution[/url].

Posted by Magnum

Raptor,

Addressing the Firefox issue, do you have any extensions, plugins, or themes installed? If so, did you try checking them for updates?

When I had Firefox 1.0 installed, it would freeze when I would try to open a new tab, but would resume within a few seconds. My problem was solved by uninstalling, deleting the Mozilla Firefox folder in "Program Files", and by deleting the corresponding folders in the Application Data and Local Settings folders of the Application Data\User_Name directory. After installing the lastest version, all was well.

EDIT: If by some chance you are using the "Switch Proxy" extension, this link may be useful:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=225232