Saikano

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Well, since no one really talks about it, I feel inclined to make a thread about it. This series is incredible. I really like it, and i just finished getting all current-like by reading volume 3 of the manga. I would encourage any mech-anime fan to get it, as well as anyone that likes a story with a wonderful plot and intriuging love story. Get Saikano NOW!

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I actually downloaded it, but haven't watched it yet nor probably will for quite some time. For starters, the animation isn't exactly riveting.

While i agree that the animation isnt the best, its not as bad as FLCL or something like that, but cetainly not the best. it is though, still a really great series.

Posted by Klarth

I'm thinking of buying it on dvd, as a friend recommended it to me a few days ago.

How long is each episode?

Posted by Fate

Standard running time. If you ask me, the manga is better-- not to despair anime-watchers, of course. Magnificently done, I'd say.

Posted by Klarth

Ah, I take it that's what your avatar/signature's from, then.

Manga... eh. You can't really find it in shops in britain too often, and I'm not hugely prepared to shell out five quid on ebay for a single volume unless you know of somewhere I can get the stuff cheaper. How many volumes are there?

And what's the animation like? I have no idea when it was made or anything.

Posted by Average n00b

I like this anime a whole lot, I'm most likely to get the DVD.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Majesty do you have any Rite aids in Britain? Because Im sure you can find it there, thats where it is for me, but I don't purchase it.

Posted by Klarth

never heard of rite aid.

just ordered the entire set off of ebay, woo.

Lucky! I want it....

I'll just have to finish downloading it at some point. I have 1.4GB out of 2.2GB. Takes so damn to download :(

Posted by Klarth

Heh... It was only thirteen quid for the whole four-dvd set. time to hunt down the manga, too...

Posted by Arczu

I have never heared of this series before, and yet I was inclined to seeing it. It must be good since I've heared nothing bad about it. I'm thinking of watching the series, possibly buying it if I like it much.

Posted by Fate

Oh, you must buy it. The DVDs include production sketches and voice actor interviews.

Posted by Klarth

Yay. The two-dvd set arrived this morning, and the packaging is beautiful... I haven't got my laptop yet, so I'll see if I can borrow someone else's on which to watch it.

The two-disc set incorporates everything... Right?

edit: it contains 13 episodes. Is that the whole series or no?

edit the second: yes it does. er, it is. never mind. I'm stupid.

Posted by Fate

I got four DVD cases. I don't know what you're talking about. Geographical complications, perhaps?

Posted by Klarth

Could well be. I own the eight-dvd Evangelion set, and Hyper owns some three-dvd one, so it might be something similar... This is what I bought: [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6393316890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6393316890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT[/url]

It says something along the lines of "complete chapter collection" on the spine, so I'm gonna assume it's the whole thing. No idea if it has the special features, though.

edit - "ALSO contains SPECIAL features". Could well be what you're talking about there. :P Is there anything else other than the seiyuu interviews and sketches?

Quoting Majesty: Could well be. I own the eight-dvd Evangelion set, and Hyper owns some three-dvd one, so it might be something similar... This is what I bought: [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6393316890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6393316890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT[/url]

Illegal non-reigon Korean/Chinese rip 8-)

Posted by Klarth

No wonder it was cheap. As long as it has the eps and english subs, I'm happy.

I agree. I plan on buying the exact same set off of a different site. I care not. And you cannot be prosecuted (to my knowledge) unless you knew that the set was illegal. And I still so not think that I have the authority to say what is what.

Posted by Klarth

Right, I've watched a few episodes so far, and it's already replaced Evangelion as my favourite anime. Not as good as End of Evangelion (so far), granted, but still pretty bloody amazing.

It's quite moving already. I can really see myself enjoying this and watching it endlessly in the future.

After a few episodes, you haven't seen anything yet. You're in for a treat.

Posted by Klarth

I've just started watching episode nine.

You know, this is the first time I've been close to tears while watching something on television... I really don't know why Saikano isn't talked about more often. It's beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.

Posted by Dreadnought

I dunno; it's a good series, but the overwhelming human drama is kinda off-putting.
Love stories, like the thing they portray, are hard to sit through.

Posted by Klarth

Majesty disagrees!

I don't really know why it's so compelling. Things like that are enjoyable to me.

Velvet Nightmare disagrees!

The whole point behind Saikano is the human drama. It's the reason why I watch it, and why I feel it is one of the best series to date.

Only 12 more hours till it's done downloading *celebrates*

Posted by Klarth

You'll love it, I can tell. Seriously-- I haven't read the manga, but the anime is easily the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, beginning to end. It starts off as a simple love story/sci-fi, but it turns into something a lot more when *spoiler!* Atsushi leaves to join the army, and Chise never returns to school. And the ending... The final episodes are absolutely heart-rending.

The animation's not bad, either.

Posted by Fate

The animation is a tad a too soft for my tastes. Still good, though.

I watched the last episode three times to see if I wouldn't cry. Miserable failure.

Posted by Dreadnought

*sigh*

Posted by Klarth

*frustrated groan*

Yeah, you preferred Evangelion. You've told me numerous times. It's getting old. NGE had the element of an incomplete story, leading to speculation. And yes, it was all about the sort of stuff you're into. It had gore. It had giant synthesised humans. It had a crusade of sorts. The characters, while still amusing, were completely lifeless and essentially devoid of personality. Yes, it was excellent otherwise. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But...

I prefer love stories. I prefer characters with souls. I prefer war-based anime. End.

Posted by Kuja

Evangelion is an amazing anime, there is no doubt about that. Romantic stuff is cool I guess, but there is a whole lot more better genres out there.

But, I enjoy watching a few.

Quoting Kuja: Romantic stuff is cool I guess, but there is a whole lot more better genres out there.

Thanks for supporting that observation.

Posted by Fate

I just finished the final volume! Worst ending ever. I mean, it was great, but it was so sad. Best ending ever? =;.;=

Posted by Xenos

sry guys.

I've watched it, on and off, but I just ... dislike it. I dislike the genre, I dislike the story, I resent the characters. Back it up? It's my taste in anime. Seeing that I particularly have a grudge against romantic anime, and the forbidden, "boy meets girl." ordeal. I really wanted to like this, but when I watched it, eh, I wanted to fall asleep and the scenes where Chise just keeps on crying, and crying, is, you know, annoying. The deaths and so on were suppose to be touching, but I just wanted to laugh almost because it seemed too ... dramatic for me. Chise's character annoyed me the most, the stereotypically "dumb" and "clumsy"-ish girl. But that's just my not-so humble opinion. :dunno:

The intro was nice.

Evangelion.

Evangelion was too flat and boring for my tastes. Good, but Saikano was better. Just what I think though.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Velvet Nightmare]Evangelion was too flat and boring for my tastes.
only time I'll ever disagree with you >:O

Posted by Fate

I wasn't a big fan of Evangelion, either. I mean, it was nice and all...

Exactly my feelings. It just seemed like it didn't go deep enough. I mean, yes, I've seen the entire series, and seen all reiterations of the end, but I still can't find something in it to grasp. Just kinda....meh. Not bad, but I still think Saikano is better.

Posted by Fate

I have yet not to cry when I see the ending!

Posted by Klarth

...You two make me sad. :'(

In other sadness-related news, turns out my Saikano disc 2 is scratched. Serves me right for getting a bootleg, I guess.

Posted by Fate

What a coincidence that your disc two is screwed up. My disc two had something wrong with it, so I returned it promptly and got a replacement. Best out-of-my-way move ever.

O.o

Don't pay, download imho.