Super Mario World Glitches

Posted by gamerz

Weird catepillar glitch:

To do this glitch you need to go to the first forest stage, after you beat the fourth fortress. First make sure you have a cape to do this. Beat the stage once and then go back in and goto the halfway point; where the bar is. After that goto the part where enemies break out of their blocks. Now stomp on the turtles but dont stomp on the empty shells, stomp on goomba's only when they can walk, in the mean time stomp on the caterpillars, keep this up until you start getting 1ups from doing this. After a while you'll see it glitching, I managed to get a 5up out of this and also, over 200 coins per yellow caterpillar they also give out tons of points for this. I've gotten over half a million points per yellow caterpillar this way.

Yoshi cloud glitch

You can see a bug on any stage that has a sloping cloud that you can slide down. What you do is; hold down the Y button and the down button as you slide down, now press left or right while going down the slope. You can even make yoshi slide backwards this way.

Posted by Zeta

Sometimes when I have Yoshi eat Wigglers Mario gets hurt/killed.

Posted by GameMiestro

The star road in bowsers world has a secret path that leads to the castle, allowing you to finish the game in 12 min. or less. The only glitch you need, really.

Posted by Dog

it's not a glitch.

And if you beat the boo house on Doughnut island the secret way you unlock a level that gets you either a fireflower or a cape and a yoshi. if you take the yoshi and come back and hit the block you got yoshi from a 1-up will come out. keep doing this to get an huge supply of 1-ups.

Posted by Arczu

While "secret" is in it's name, that level is required to get 96Star full completion. So it's not as secret as it should be... That method is also slow for collecting 1-ups.

Multi-Eating
While it is minor, if when riding yoshi you come across any colour fruit, you can eat it by simply getting Yoshi's mouth to it. But if you lick the fruit before (no, actually right when) Yoshi automatically eats it, either you eat the fruit and a duplicate is left behind (and it doesn't move around either, stays still) or you eat the original and the duplicate at the same time getting 2 coins. The duplicate is always red, even if you use the trick on the green ones.

Similarily, if you approch a spiny and yoshi's mouth is really close to touching it, lick and eat a section. If you are close enough, Yoshi starts to gobble up all the other sections automatically (except the head).

Flying Yoshi?
Quite difficult to pull off, but when you have a cape with Yoshi, try taking off. Then jump off Yoshi holding Y, then then as you fall down, get back on Yoshi as it falls and you will start floating with that "BLIMP" noise. I think it's almost the same as floating with just the cape, but it's hard to control.

P-Switch Recovery
Yoshi again! Step on a blue or grey P Switch then eat it before it dissapears and spit it back out. The switch is returned as though you never pushed it. You can use this little trick to say... get all the coins in the Yellow Switch Place.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Shalien: it's not a glitch.

And if you beat the boo house on Doughnut island the secret way you unlock a level that gets you either a fireflower or a cape and a yoshi. if you take the yoshi and come back and hit the block you got yoshi from a 1-up will come out. keep doing this to get an huge supply of 1-ups.

Easier: One of the first couple of levels has a line-up of Koopa Troopas meant to give you an easy one-up by KO-ing them all with a shell. Do this, leave, and come right back as many times as you like.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting Linko_16: Easier: One of the first couple of levels has a line-up of Koopa Troopas meant to give you an easy one-up by KO-ing them all with a shell. Do this, leave, and come right back as many times as you like.

Easiest: Go to the first illusion forest level. Get to the half-way checkpoint, where there's a glass box with alternating items. Hit the box when it's a cape, so that by the time you get it it's a star. Now run. Get everything in your path.

If you did it right, you should get at least 20 lives. Not hit start + select, and repeat. Because you got the checkpoint, you'll start right at the glass box again.

Posted by Zeta

I thought this was a glitch thread. Getting extra lives and the Star Road shortcut are glitches? >_>

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting GoldenMyr: Easiest: Go to the first illusion forest level. Get to the half-way checkpoint, where there's a glass box with alternating items. Hit the box when it's a cape, so that by the time you get it it's a star. Now run. Get everything in your path.

If you did it right, you should get at least 20 lives. Not hit start + select, and repeat. Because you got the checkpoint, you'll start right at the glass box again.

Illusion Forest is, like, halfway through the game, though. The virtue of the trick I mentioned is that it's an easy way to get lives right at the beginning.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Why would you need lives in the beginning?

Posted by Linko_16

So you have them for the rest of the game?

Posted by MottaTheHutt

You lose them after you save and load again.

Posted by Linko_16

This is Super Mario World we're talking about. You can beat, like, the first three worlds in an hour.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

And then you're at world 4, Illusion Forest.

Posted by Zeta

World 4 is the Twin Bridges. >_>

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Either way, you really shouldn't need any extra lives until world six. I usually end up making more lives than I lose before that.

Posted by Zeta

Eh, it really depends on the player's skill. Some sucky 4-year old would start experiencing trouble long before more experienced players, and thus need extra lives earlier.

And lol @ deletion. :)

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting Shalien: it's not a glitch.

Yes it is... why would they possibly have an extra route to the final level that, unlike every other path in the game, has no image that it's there? Anyways, there isn't any gameplay glitches in Super Mario World, there's just ways to take advantage of the in game mechanics. Glitches are something the developers didn't intend.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I don't think it's a glitch. I think they put a path to the end in the begining on purpose. They did it in Super Mario Bros.

Quoting Zeta: Some sucky 4-year old would start experiencing trouble long before more experienced players, and thus need extra lives earlier.

How many sucky 4-year olds use this site? I've only spotted a few.

Quoting Zeta: And lol @ deletion. :)

Shutup Zeta. :(

Posted by Pit

Not a glitch. Star road leads to bowsers castle, that's the only way i know th egame can be beaten between 12 - 13 minutes.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting GoldenMyr: Either way, you really shouldn't need any extra lives until world six. I usually end up making more lives than I lose before that.

Like Zeta said, it all depends on how good you are. I could beat Super Mario World without any 1up tricks at all (except for the "Groovy," "Radical," et cetera levels), but my sister found this trick very helpful when she wanted to play.

Posted by talentz

Well most of these glitches I've encounterd but Are there one's which give you more life.

Posted by jeffvv16

What happens when the area withe the Groovy & Radical levels are compleated?

Posted by n64 man

thats not a glitch, you just get to fight a new batch of enemies.

Posted by ccrocker58

Quoting jeffvv16: What happens when the area withe the Groovy & Radical levels are compleated?

Some of the enemies like koopas and pirrahna plants change their appearance.