Marvel at how we don't care

Posted by Klarth

So, does anyone recall what ****ing happened a year ago yesterday?

Posted by Roger Smith

I swear I just saw this on the big 4. And no, wtf happened a year ago yesterday?

BTW...
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Roger_Smith0/SHOPPED.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Bebop

My goodness I did forget. I do feel bad and I shall pay my respects.

Posted by junior senior

London bombings?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Roger Smith]And no, wtf happened a year ago yesterday?
So a bombing takes place on the other side of the atlantic and everyone in the world mourns - including people who'd otherwise have anti-american sentiment - yet when three trains and a bus, along with the innocent people in them, are decimated, you can feel fine with yourself about not paying attention?

You should be ashamed.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I saw this on CNN yesterday while at work, and considered making a thread, but expected too much of a "lol wut" response and decided against it. :/

Posted by Roger Smith

Well, it's not like I'm jumping up and down for more trains and buses to collide.

But it's funny that you made this thread a day late. Good job caring for the masses Klarth:cool:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lord of Spam again.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I remembered. Frankly, I didn't expect you to bow down on your knees and to sob while clutching an American flag as you praised blue-eyed Jesus that the United States was there and swore you undying support for us in our time of trouble back in 9/11, but I didn't want you to make fun of it either.

Sorry those dudes blew up your buses, bro.

Posted by Roger Smith

I made something for you Klarth, maybe it'll cheer you up some.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Roger_Smith0/Caturday.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Bebop

I'm suprised your minder lets you on the internet.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I didn't know it was yesterday, though I rememered it happened. But it sure doesn't feel like it happened a year ago. More like two or three.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

THAT CAT IN YOUR SIG IS DEAD, SIR

Posted by The Judge

Not to be a jerk, but I never even heard about this until today.

Quoted post: THAT CAT IN YOUR SIG IS DEAD, SIR

NOT IN SPIRIT :(

Posted by maian

It was a tragedy, but you can't expect people to make as big of a deal of it as they did 9/11. 9/11 was two planes crashing into two very important buildings and destroying them, killing thousands, and this is well, buses.

Sucks anyway.

Quoted post:
It was a tragedy, but you can't expect people to make as big of a deal of it as they did 9/11. 9/11 was two planes crashing into two very important buildings and destroying them, killing thousands, and this is well, buses.

Indeed. It's sad that it happens, but this kind of thing happens somewhat often in other third-world countries... yet, no one cares about that.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

hah, I like how you said "other third world" as if offhandedly calling England a third world country :P

Huh, didn't consider that. Fitting nonetheless.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Vampiro: Huh, didn't consider that. Fitting nonetheless.

Thats an automatic win.

But seriously, i didnt forget about it...just didnt really remember it was today. Cant believe its been a year alread, **** im getting old.

Posted by Arwon

Or jaded.

Quoting maian: It was a tragedy, but you can't expect people to make as big of a deal of it as they did 9/11. 9/11 was two planes crashing into two very important buildings and destroying them, killing thousands, and this is well, buses.

Sucks anyway.

So because it was visually spectacular it was more worth remembering?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I totally forgot. All I thought was 'hey, two sevens'.

Posted by GameMiestro

Yes, what happened was bad, but to think were hypocritical for not mourning this is hilarious. Find one person on this forum who mourned on 9/11/05, and you might have a point.

Posted by Klarth

I'm not asking for mourning, I'm asking for acknowledgment.

As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't mourn unless you were personally touched by the incident.

Quoted post: So because it was visually spectacular it was more worth remembering?

9/11 had a way bigger impact overall. It also affected a lot more people on a personal level. But you can't blame North America for not remembering. It had maybe a day of coverage and that's about it. 9/11 is still being talked about here though.

Posted by Raptor

I THINK I SAW THE DEVIL'S FACE IN THE SMOKE.

Anyways, shit happens. Pay whatever respects you feel you need to and get over it. If you insist on remembering a tragic day in history and expecting everyone else around you to mourn with you, do it on your birthday.

Har, Raptor fails at getting around the censor.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian]It was a tragedy, but you can't expect people to make as big of a deal of it as they did 9/11. 9/11 was two planes crashing into two very important buildings and destroying them, killing thousands, and this is well, buses.

Sucks anyway.

Hey, just because London can defend itself...

Posted by Ant

If only we had lasers on our buildings, too.

Oh, and I remembered. And it sucked.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Vampiro: 9/11 is still being talked about here though.

Christ! Every time I hear "post-9/11 America" in a debate I punch myself in the nuts.

Quoting Speedfreak: Hey, just because London can defend itself...

By shooting people. In the head.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting s0ul: Christ! Every time I hear "post-9/11 America" in a debate I punch myself in the nuts.

You must have rendered yourself impotent long ago then.

Posted by Klarth

pre-9/11: CAPITALISM! WE'RE INVINCIBLE!

post-9/11: the crying eagle is a symbol of hope and prosperity, blonde aryan jesus cries and smites the evil towel people of the east, waving cornfields beneath a beautiful summer's sky and a flag of glorious leadership and beauty and white bread and trailer parks. bush can do no wrong, god bless the best nation in the world

Posted by Bebop

Quoting maian: It was a tragedy, but you can't expect people to make as big of a deal of it as they did 9/11. 9/11 was two planes crashing into two very important buildings and destroying them, killing thousands, and this is well, buses.

Sucks anyway.

Americans news broadcasters whore out and dramatise everything, carrying it for as long as they can especially if it concerns the well being of a member of public. Had it been buses in America, and the Houses of Parliament back in ol Blighty it's a certainty England's tragedy would still be mostly unheard of, whilsts still making 9/11 films remembering "the loved ones we lost in New York Public Transport". Why? Because American news broadcasters have more concern about what happens in America whilst the rest of the World is secound. Of course this attitude to home news VS out of home news is very common in every countrys news cultrue. However other countries news values arent as selfish as those of the Americans. It doesnt matter which event happend first or how soon apart they happened or even how many people died. If a suicide bomber killed one American in New York it would still receive more news coverage and memrobial crap than, say, the thousands of British folk who died during 19 bombings.

Thouasnds more people die on a yearly basis in other countries including the Middle East compared to the few in 2 buildings and some planes, whatever their importance or significnce. Saying you can't expect 7/7 to be as big a deal because of 9/11 is like saying you can't expect 9/11 to reach as many people or be as big a deal because Pol Pot's regime executed roughly 2 million people.

[quote=Wings]By shooting people. In the head.
If it means Britain is safe then what's the problem?

Oh lord. Spider-man.

YOU MESS WITH ONE OF US, YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

EDIT: And I know at least one person that isn't safe because of it.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

the idiocy in this thread is appalling

Posted by Klarth

Thanks for pointing that out! My opinion has now been reversed because you haven't backed up that statement. The world would be such a terrible place without your advice.

Posted by Sable Wind

No, BJ is actually right. Myself, I think it's rather silly that we're arguing over whether it got enough coverage or not... why? Just remember the day when you can. I'm sure as long as you pay your respects it doesn't matter when.

As for America's over-hype of the day, I really couldn't say so. No matter which way you cut it, people died, and to diminish the importance of that is rather cruel.

Also, just because "this or that" didn't get enough attention does not mean its importance was diminished, either. For those it impacted, they shall remember it, and that's all you can give it. I believe when 9/11 occurred it was the first real act of terrorism in a while and the entire world was shocked. When this occurred in England, it had already been known that terrorism was abound, as such it wasn't as large of a shock and didn't

Posted by mis0

Well, obviously, Bebop, the US focuses on domestic news because we are a large nation and lots of things are going on here. To suggest that 7/7 didn't get coverage here, though, is really stupid, considering that you don't live here, so how are you supposed to know? It was in the news for several days as the top headline, and then for the following weeks of aftermath and investigation, you'd hear about it daily.

Why do you guys have to argue about everything in such a stupid manner?

Posted by Klarth

I think it's probably an accurate speculation.

I can understand that there are people who were directly impacted, and there are those who will never recover from the effect of the day. The rest of the country was affected to a lesser degree, and I can understand the shocked, paranoid mentality of the states in the context of protecting its people - until, that is, the threat of domestic terror attacks was reduced as near to nil as is possible.

But since when did having American flags on ****ing everything help the war on terror? And why should it take an entire nation five years to recover emotionally from the incident? As I've said, I can wholly understand the reaction of people affected - I know a few of them - but this is ridiculous.

Not covering something sufficiently might not reduce its impact, but hyping an incident every day and leaving all else in its shadow for half a decade is excessive.

I re-iterate myself: I don't want outright mourning and cries of "may jesus pour his beautiful blessings upon glorious britannia", I just wish people wouldn't pretend it didn't happen.

Quoting Misoxeny: you guys

Racist.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

fine klarth, you twit, here goes:

Klarth: I'm not asking for mourning, I'm asking for acknowledgment.
no.
what good would it do? "Hey guys, remember a year ago what happened?"
Will the world progress any because of this? Will people around the world suddenly say "oh yeah, two buses blew up a year ago, let's be friends!" No, they won't. Acknowledging it is purely by choice, and asking people to acknowledge it earns a "suck my balls" from me. I didn't ask anyone to acknowledge 9/11, and if they did, that's okay too, but I don't appreciate them asking me to dig up sentiment for it anymore than I appreciate you doing it.

9/11 had a way bigger impact overall. It also affected a lot more people on a personal level. But you can't blame North America for not remembering. It had maybe a day of coverage and that's about it. 9/11 is still being talked about here though.- - - this is pretty accurate. More people died in ours. If you want to invoke relativism and say that one tragedy is just as bad as another you're fulla **** Klarth. You all ragged Specops for making 9/11 type posts, so I'm doing it to you too, you whiney little fag :D

Americans news broadcasters whore out and dramatise everything, carrying it for as long as they can especially if it concerns the well being of a member of public. Had it been buses in America, and the Houses of Parliament back in ol Blighty it's a certainty England's tragedy would still be mostly unheard of, whilsts still making 9/11 films remembering "the loved ones we lost in New York Public Transport". Why? Because American news broadcasters have more concern about what happens in America whilst the rest of the World is secound. Of course this attitude to home news VS out of home news is very common in every countrys news cultrue. However other countries news values arent as selfish as those of the Americans. It doesnt matter which event happend first or how soon apart they happened or even how many people died. If a suicide bomber killed one American in New York it would still receive more news coverage and memrobial crap than, say, the thousands of British folk who died during 19 bombings.

ah, more intellectual **** droppings from our lovable bebop.
So you say that American news reporters are more concerned about what happens in America?? holy balls, you're an effing genius! You'd better get a copyright for that snippet of brilliance, because I'm sure you'll make tons with such an innovative remark! No, really. YOu mean to tell me that the United States reporters tend to focus on local events and dramaticize them?! OH MY *** I AM LEIK TOTALLY IN SHOCK. Let's compare, shall we??
Here's the basler zeitung newspaper, from Switzerland. Top stories (shortened, obviously :P ) ([url]www.baz.ch[/url])
Cechnian terror guy killed, um, let's see. . . US and Iran atomic stalling story thing. . .Bush and Castro. . . Italy and world cup. . . Israeli air force, OH LOOK LOCAL STUFF ABOUT THE NEWSPAPER'S EX PRESIDENT. . . YOU XENOPHOBIC SONSA*****ES, HOW DARE YOU COVER LOCAL NEWS (anyways) you get the picture. Okay, now, the NY Times. .. chechen rebel killed. . . fighting in Baghdad, Japan ****y at North Korea, HOLY CRAP GAS EXPLOSION IN NY!?!?? FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES?!? WHAT BASTARDS! THE AVERAGE JOE IN AZERBAIJAN CANNOT RELATE TO THIS NEWS! Bebop is right, our news reporters are such *******s :(

in seriousness, Bebop you're a smacktard. Every newspaper takes their news to the forefront and talks about the other secondly (unless there isn't much going on). Lemme take a look at the BBC for good measure. If you go to their website and click on "UK version" then OMG it's all pertaining to the UK! WHAT JERKS! Bebop, I plead with you to stop being stop being so stupid. Okay? It's really annoying :( Just because you guys got swept up in 9/11 fervor is no reason to blame OUR reporters for doing what YOUR reporters and everyone else's reporters do. I award the "suck my balls" sticker to your post as well

I can understand that there are people who were directly impacted, and there are those who will never recover from the effect of the day. The rest of the country was affected to a lesser degree, and I can understand the shocked, paranoid mentality of the states in the context of protecting its people - until, that is, the threat of domestic terror attacks was reduced as near to nil as is possible. you made absolutely no point witht his paragraph. Minus 10 "not sucking my balls" points

But since when did having American flags on ****ing everything help the war on terror? And why should it take an entire nation five years to recover emotionally from the incident? As I've said, I can wholly understand the reaction of people affected - I know a few of them - but this is ridiculous. having american flags on everything is a freedom and a liberty, stop tryign to take away our liberties, you facist. If it delludes people into thinking they're closer with their neighbor, then that's fine too (but not to you, you're a freedom-stealing totalitarian). Minus 5 "not sucking my balls" points. The reason it's "post 9/11" for you and the other moron who said something about punching himself in the balls before about it is because 9/11 was a major turning point in the world's history. War/occupation of afghanistan? New interest in al-quaeda? War/occupation of Iraq? Not to mention how 9/11 and its consequences are arguably contributors to Palestine/Israel, Iran, North Korea and all that (axis of evil remark!!!). So to pretend like it wasn't a big deal, from a historical standpoint, is yet another step closer towards "suck my balls" stickers all over your dumb, naive little face.

Not covering something sufficiently might not reduce its impact, but hyping an incident every day and leaving all else in its shadow for half a decade is excessive. welcome to news and tragedy. I got sick of that Tsunami ****, but for TACT's sake I kept quiet, but then again I'm not a fascist :P

I re-iterate myself: I don't want outright mourning and cries of "may jesus pour his beautiful blessings upon glorious britannia", I just wish people wouldn't pretend it didn't happen. why? explain to me what good it will do to cry in front of burning incense and a candle every year. If people want to do it, fine, but don't get mad when they don't. Part of "showing respect" is doing it your own way. Some people laugh at funerals, some cry, some sit quietly. I prefer the kind who sit quietly and meditate in their own way, not (hypocritically, I might add, like you) throw it in my face. You got mad about it with the 9/11 ****, so don't start here and don't start now.

Sucks anyway.

It sucks, but let people vent how they want to. I'm not mad at him for making a thread, I'm mad at him for getting mad at us for not being as excited about it as he is. I think they're both tragic, and let people react as they want. . . TO THEMSELVES.

There Klarth. I just wasted 30 minutes of my life that was unnecessary to prove to you that you're acting like a *******. thanks for making me go out of my way to intervene in a thread I didn't want to, and thanks for wasting valuable "lifting heavy ****" time at the gym. Suck my balls (fascist)

Posted by Klarth

Okay. You win. :)

edit: except for this part

[quote=bj]I re-iterate myself: I don't want outright mourning and cries of "may jesus pour his beautiful blessings upon glorious britannia", I just wish people wouldn't pretend it didn't happen. why? explain to me what good it will do to cry in front of burning incense and a candle every year. If people want to do it, fine, but don't get mad when they don't. Part of "showing respect" is doing it your own way. Some people laugh at funerals, some cry, some sit quietly. I prefer the kind who sit quietly and meditate in their own way, not (hypocritically, I might add, like you) throw it in my face. You got mad about it with the 9/11 ****, so don't start here and don't start now.
Take a careful look at what I said: I DON'T WANT OUTRIGHT MOURNING kind of defies your retort.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Wings: Racist.

Don't you mean "sexist bint?"

Posted by Speedfreak

I actually told Klarth to make this thread as a joke, with that specific image and thread title (not the rest, though). Ho ho ho.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

oh you cheeky bastard

Posted by Arwon

YOU ALL FORGOT TO MOURN MADRID YOU HEARTLESS DOGS

Posted by Arwon

ALSO BALI AND TURKEY AND CASABLANCA

Posted by Arwon

AND BAGHDAD AND BAGHDAD AND BAGHDAD

Posted by higbvuyb

Well, you, Sir, forgot Kabul.

What are you doing, staying up past 12:30 anyway?[/random]

Posted by Klarth

12.30 AM is very, very late.

Very late.

Very, very, very late.

7:51 AM is even later. Which is the correct time.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Vampiro: 7:51 AM is even later. Which is the correct time.

Actually I'm in the same timezone as Arwon, which is, if I recall correctly, +10.

-5 is the only accurate time zone. Everything else was just created by people who clearly had no idea what they were doing.

Uh. Obviously GMT is the only accurate timezone, as it's the one that all other timezones are measured from.

... you didn't notice the fact that I was clearly just joking?

You didn't notice the fact that I was?!

Nope. The italics make it seem real.

Absolutely.

I completely concur.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Misoxeny]Well, obviously, Bebop, the US focuses on domestic news because we are a large nation and lots of things are going on here.

No. American news focuses on America because it is their country just like French news will focus on goings on in France because *insert shock* it is their country. Size of the country and "what is happening there" is irrelevant. Lots of things happen all over the globe and the US isnt the only big country in the world you know?

You're basically saying American news focuses on America because of what America represents. This is false.

[quote]To suggest that 7/7 didn't get coverage here, though, is really stupid, considering that you don't live here, so how are you supposed to know?

I didnt say 7/7 didnt get coverage here. I was saying in comparison with 9/11 7/7 is nothing. If that meaning wasnt clear I appologize. This was what I was getting at. However it is a fair assumption to say that 9/11 received more coverage than 7/7.

[quote]It was in the news for several days as the top headline, and then for the following weeks of aftermath and investigation, you'd hear about it daily.
I'm sure it was, what with UK being one of USA's strongest and most valuable allies. But what got more coverage though? How often do middle eastern bombings make Americans headlines? In any case the fact some members of this board did not even know 7/7 occurred adds to my point.

[quote=BJ]So you say that American news reporters are more concerned about what happens in America?? holy balls, you're an effing genius!
I know its obvious. I just felt Maian overlooked this because he was saying an event received less coverage and was branded lee importance because it was not as relevant to his countries culture, even though his countries news media will be more interested in his country adn his country's culture more than anyone elses. Why are you freaking out?

[quote]Every newspaper takes their news to the forefront and talks about the other secondly (unless there isn't much going on).

Wow. That sounds almost exactly like something I said.

[quote]Bebop, I plead with you to stop being stop being so stupid. Okay?
It's hard to take advice from a guy whos overreatcing causes typos.

[quote]Just because you guys got swept up in 9/11 fervor is no reason to blame OUR reporters for doing what YOUR reporters and everyone else's reporters do. I award the "suck my balls" sticker to your post as well
What the **** are you talking about? Why are you freaking out, overreacting and becoming hostile over a post that was explaining an overlooked point?

Okay, we've started line-by-lining posts. This isn't an argument, it's a pedantment. Someone lock.