Machine of my undoing

Posted by Demonblade

Ladies and gentlemen, in a few short months and 7000 dollars this is likely to be the device that brings about my end. Ive wanted one for quite some time now, but just didnt have the funds to acquire it. Im selling my mustang for the infinitely cheaper stratus, and will likely buy this motorcycle for a daily drive, and keep my stratus for grocery getting. I tell myself that i wont break the speed limit or do anything crazy, but...yeah, im really just lying to myself. Thatll last for like two weeks im sure. If you have any comments, opinions or horror stories, please speak now before i purchase this fine peice of vehicular crafstmanship, whether it be good or bad, your input along with the cost of insurance will be a deciding factor on whether or not i want to risk my life.

Posted by higbvuyb

Motorbikes are far more dangerous than cars. You're like 30 times more likely to die if you are on a motorbike than if you are on a car. If you fall off and your gloved hand hits the road at high speed, for every second your hand is in contact with the ground, several centimetres of bone can be ground off. Any small collision can put your bike off-balance at high speeds. The driver is totally exposed against the elements. I'd say that since I don't actually want you to die, you should stick with a car.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

**** you Demonblade! :(

"I gotta get me one of these!"

Posted by Lord of Spam

If this is your first bike, just do yourself a favor. Go to the kitchen, put the 7k into a paper bag, write "funeral" on it, then grab a knife and slit your wrists.

If its your first bike, it is, quiet simply, too much for you. You WILL lost control with that much power. If you're lucky, you'll lose is at a very low speed and only manage to waste thousands of dollars getting your fairings fixed. If you ARENT lucky... well, at least if you do the bag thing, you wont have to worry about paying for a funeral.

You're better off buying something FAR smaller. A ninja 250 is a perfect starter bike. Its smaller, lighter (read: easier to control) and has FAR less power (read: less likely to try to be hardXxXcore and get yourself killed). Honestly, you dont need a 1kcc engine for a starter bike. The 250 does 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, which is Porche territory, to put it into perspective. Not to mention that it only costs 3k for a brand new model, and since its your first bike, and you WILL drop it, you should buy used anyway.

Basically, plan on droping it. Dont buy anything that you cant afford to fix, since in the first year of riding you WILL let the bike fall over at one point. And also, dont you live in florida? Having a bike here is great from like november to march, but once the rainy season starts and it can start to rain with no notice, being on a bike can be a huge hassle. I dont know if you've ever been on a bike in the rain, but even at like 30mph, it feels like needles being driven into you.

So start small, and start practical, or die. Its as simple as that.

Posted by Demonblade

Yeah, thats pretty much how i felt when i first though about getting a bike. I talked to a few guys at work, one of which has been riding for about 20 years and he said for a guy as big as me (215 lbs) id be better off getting the Gixxer 1000. I was going to start off with the 600 because i feel the way you do...though im slowly rationalizing the idea of getting the 1k, which could be a very dangerous thing for me. Im not going to buy brand new, because as you said i will most likely lay it down. Ive done a little looking on ebay and ive seen the 2001-02 models selling for around 6000 which is well within my price range considering im trading my car in. Either way, im not going to get a bike until september/october...and one of the guys at work offered to give me lessons on his cruiser...but the sportbike i want is a whole different spectrum. I dont know, i feel that i have enough repsect for my life to control my urges to punch it...guess ive just got a lot of thinking to do.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Jsut keep in mind that the more the bike weighs and the more power it has, the harder it is to control. You're better off learning on a smaller bike and then moving up.

Posted by mis0

I agree with what LoS said. A machine like that is like giving a drivers ed student a 911 GT3 to learn in. Start small. You're basically re-learning to drive on a much more intimate level with the road. You need to be well aware of every small change in road surface, weather, traffic, and you need to be able to predict what the idiots around you are going to do. You're practically invisible when next to cars because of your extremely small size. And above all, don't show off.

I do understand where you're coming from. If I move downtown, I'll want to ditch my car for a motorcycle too. But I'd rather start small (even if it's gimpy and not as cool) just to be sure that the experience would be as safe as possible until I have a few thousand miles under my belt.

You'll also be saving on motorcycle insurance. Minimum liability can be as little as $250/yr.

Posted by Demonblade

Yeah, i dont care how experienced i become...i dont think i will ever get to the level of confidence to go 150mph popping a wheelie...i value my life much more than that.

I definitely agree with what you guys are sayin in respects to starting off on a smaller bike. I just dont want to get to the point of feeling comfortable on it in a few months...then get bored with it. I certainly could trade it in for a more powerful one...but hell, its taken me a year to get rid of my POS mustang...who knows how long it would take me to get a different bike.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Which sounds more appealing:

1)firey, painful death in an accident
2)having problems selling your bike when you want to upgrade

Posted by Grave Wisdom

On second thought...

Maybe I won't get a motorcycle! :D

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Lord of Spam: Which sounds more appealing:

1)firey, painful death in an accident
2)having problems selling your bike when you want to upgrade

As opposed to smelly, rotting nursing home death...ill take option one. otherwise, you make a very good point my friend.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Even going 40mph on a bike is going to feel amazingly fast at first. I wouldn't worry about getting bored with it.

Posted by Axis

Don't sweat it too much. My uncle has had one for like 20 years and never wrecked.

Posted by The Judge

Still, precautions and safety come first. You want to be in the mindset that "it could happen any time," and keep yourself prepared.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Seriously, consider that its making someone like ME say safety first.

Posted by NeXidala

well just be careful my dad's friend died on one.....a truck ran a red light as he was coming and he couldnt stop becasue he was on his motorbike... his body went under the truck but his head didnt make it...he lost half of his face and died instantly....all i can wish u is good luck...as u will need it...ALOT

Posted by Lord of Spam

ProTip: Ignore anything a woman says about motorcycles, as they all see nothign but ZOMG DANGUR ULL DIE LOL.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Lord of Spam: ProTip: Ignore anything a woman says about motorcycles, as they all see nothign but ZOMG DANGUR ULL DIE LOL.

ha i lol'd big time and now that i think about it its tru :D
--------
but still it IS very dangerous.....:crying:

Posted by Raptor

i lol'd'd'd'd!!!111024x768

Suzuki makes a marvelous digital piano.

Posted by Demonblade

Yeah, pretty much not it for getting my face crushed.

I just look at pictures like these and find it so hard to say no to getting a bike. Honestly look at that and tell me that wouldnt be one hell of an adrenaline rush.

http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-gsxr1000-02-bikepics-439108.jpg

Posted by Lord of Spam

Oh, it would. But then again, so would free diving with great whites.

doesnt mean I'm going to do it.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

As I said before - 40 mph is going to be a rush at first. You take a machine like that out and go flat out, even if you manage to hang on to the thing, it's going to get boring quicker than if you get a crap one, tune it or whatever, learn it and then progress.

Posted by mis0

Quoting The Judge: Still, precautions and safety come first. You want to be in the mindset that "it could happen any time," and keep yourself prepared.

The reason why there are so many car accidents is because people don't keep this in mind. You are always supposed to have an idea about how you would react if the vehicles in front of you wreck, or whatever. Always leave yourself an option for escape.

This is much, much more important on a motorcycle, because the margin for error is so unforgivingly small. So, Demonblade, have you decided what to go for yet?

Posted by Xenos

This reminds me about a year ago when I was cruuuiising down LA's highways [crazy, I know] and the ****face from the other side decides to change three lanes at a time and hits a small truck in front of my and pushes the truck aside and his car spins out of control - if my father didn't stop in time, that guy was a goner.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Misoxeny: The reason why there are so many car accidents is because people don't keep this in mind. You are always supposed to have an idea about how you would react if the vehicles in front of you wreck, or whatever. Always leave yourself an option for escape.

This is much, much more important on a motorcycle, because the margin for error is so unforgivingly small. So, Demonblade, have you decided what to go for yet?

Uhh...well, im about 90% sure its going to be this

And theres about a 10% chance ill get this

Posted by Boner

While I condone the buying of a motorcycle, I am very anti crotch-rocket. I think they were invented by Japs to kill Americans.

This is what I have...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bc2412/IMG_0392.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bc2412/IMG_0395.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bc2412/IMG_0409.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bc2412/IMG_0410.jpg[/IMG]
^I love those chrome skull mirrors :D
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bc2412/IMG_0485.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bc2412/IMG_0478.jpg[/IMG]

It's a 2005 Yamaha V Star 1100 custom. I have added a couple more things to it since I took these photos. I also tore the gay plastic/chrome emblem off of the tank so it's solid black.

Anyway, if you are going to buy a sport bike, at least don't be one of those idiots who wears shorts, a tank top, tennis shoes/sandals, and a helmet. Those people look like total jack@sses. Get some good gear and wear it.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Opeth:
Anyway, if you are going to buy a sport bike, at least don't be one of those idiots who wears shorts, a tank top, tennis shoes/sandals, and a helmet. Those people look like total jack@sses. Get some good gear and wear it.

Thats a really nice bike, although...unless your not single...im really not a fan of the backrest on the seat, but then again thats just me.

Oh, and i would never wear shorts and a tanktop on a motorcycle. For one, im not really interested in getting burns...nor being turned into a 30 yard long skid of human hamburger. No, once i get one, ill probably invest in a matching suzuki leather riding jacket and a full face helmet. Ive got jeans and the air force gave me plenty of combat boots, so ill just need to invest on some riding gloves because im sure paintball ones wont suffice.

Posted by Lord of Spam

They make jeans with kevlar woven into the fabric that are supposed to be essentially drag proof.

I have to still say that a 750 is a bit big, but at least its not a 1k. :/

And rice is the way to go with bikes. Cruisers are so lame and boring. why buy a bike if you cant do mad tYtE cornering?:(

Posted by Demonblade

Kevlar jeans huh? Wow, wonder how much they cost. But, whatever the cost i dont really care...its worth it if it help saves your life. Yeah, i decided to go 750...1k would rape me on insurance. Just called and a 750 would cost me 105 a month for full coverage.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Lord of Spam: Cruisers are so lame and boring. why buy a bike if you cant do mad tYtE cornering?:(

Because people don't buy bikes (or at least shouldn't) for "mad tYtE cornering." Not everyone has a deathwish.

[URL="http://www.fugly.com/videos/5497/motorcycle-double-crash.html"]lol look @ mad tYtE cornering !1!!11!1one[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51jkPqCRBfw&search=check"]The guys are just total morons.[/URL]

You never see people on cruisers acting like total jag-bags to try and compensate for a small cock.

Quoting Demonblade: Yeah, i decided to go 750...1k would rape me on insurance. Just called and a 750 would cost me 105 a month for full coverage.

I have had my bike for a year now. Full coverage for one year on that bike was $450. This year they have dropped it down to $331. Of course, I'm also 26 years old. That may also factor into it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I just dont like the riding position and feel of them. Too big and fat and lazy.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Lord of Spam: Too big and fat and lazy.

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't bring up my ex-girlfriend again.

Kthxbye.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Opeth: I have had my bike for a year now. Full coverage for one year on that bike was $450. This year they have dropped it down to $331. Of course, I'm also 26 years old. That may also factor into it.

Well, im only 20...so i figured thats a pretty **** good deal all things considered. Although, i dont have any tickets/accidents...it is still more than half as expensive as my mustang.

Video #1 is a prime expample of what happens when you wear the proper protective gear...guy got up totally unfazed.

Those other two guys...well, they are just fuggin retarded...you wont see me doing sh!t like that.

Posted by Boner

True. But he still got lucky, as I have yet to hear of any riding gear that prevents your bones from snapping like twigs.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Opeth: True. But he still got lucky, as I have yet to hear of any riding gear that prevents your bones from snapping like twigs.

Truth in that my friend. But it certainly cant hurt to wear it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Opeth: True. But he still got lucky, as I have yet to hear of any riding gear that prevents your bones from snapping like twigs.

Pretty much just a riding jacket can keep you fine if you fall right. The key is to slide. If you roll, you break. But as long as you slide, you're golden.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Lord of Spam: Pretty much just a riding jacket can keep you fine if you fall right. The key is to slide. If you roll, you break. But as long as you slide, you're golden.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Rolling is pretty much bad news, definately broken bones will ensue. Im going to check out those pants though...more on that to follow.

Posted by Demonblade

They are called Draggin Jeans, at least that is one particular brand...and here is the site

http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/productTesting/index.htm

pretty **** amazing if you ask me

Posted by higbvuyb

Yeah, and remember that since you can't really put really really thick gloves on and control a motorbike, just put really thick gloves on and remember to not put your hands down. The only problem is that you just can't go riding in solid, really protective stuff like medieval knight's armour. Because, one, it cost a lot of money, and two, you'd look pretty gay in shining armour on a motorbike. Unless you dress your motorbike up like a horse.