crappiest subject

Posted by Bebop

Here we debate which subjects and/or courses are a waste of time.

Philosophy amirite? What job can you get with that? LOL YOUR TUENewfs

Posted by Lord of Spam

In america, its pretty much only important that you went to school for most office jobs. That being said, not much requires a philosophy degree, but there are number of courses that are onyl good for becoming an acedemic.

Posted by Bebop

I hate the idea that if you have an art degree your an artist.
Like I say: You can teach someone to paint, but you cant teach someone to make art.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, art and philosophy. Took 'em both all throughout Highshoals. Interesting, yes. Useful, not at all.

Posted by Klarth

Taking philosophy next term, but I'm taking Russian, English, biology and politics to supplement it, so what the hell.

Now, politics is a waste of time.

Posted by Bebop

The only thing you need to become an MP is a photo of your superior with a prostitute. Amirite? :-D:-D:-D

Posted by Linko_16

Classes like those are ones you really only should be taking if you want to try and expand your horizons on it and get perspective for your own, unique understanding. Art and Philosophy aren't like Math and Science, where your lessons are basicly rules about how it works, things you've got to know if you want to work in that field later on.

If you ask me, the problem is English. Too many teachers I've known have grouped it with previously mentioned Math and Science classes, treating it as though the way it's taught is the one, accepted way and too much creative liberty is unacceptable.

Posted by Vagabond

Philosophy isn\'t too bad ... at least from a personal stand point, though I guess it depends if you have a good lecturer or not.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Law Schools look highly upon philosophy majors.

Posted by Fate

I've always thought art classes were pretty useless. Biographies of artists that are important to my future I could have read in my history class. It's weird, though, because I'm really glad I had my art class. Not only was it my break class, it let me see other artists at work, making their magic as I saw it.

Completely disagree on the political science standpoint of Klarth, seeing as how I wanted to major in it just a couple of years ago. Also, I disagree with Linko on the pointlessness of English classes. Perhaps if these English classes were taught less gayly like reading For Whom The Bell Tolls and having stupid weeks-long discussions about the meaning of it all instead of teaching THAT THE REAL USE OF A SEMICOLON IS NOT TO START A TEXT WINK, maybe English wouldn't be seen as so worthless.

I had this teacher a lot of people hated because of her teaching that way. I admired and respected the woman because she was teaching English the correct way.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Law Schools look highly upon philosophy majors.

Really? How come? Do explain. I'm guessing it's about bening taught to learn from differnt perspectives.

Posted by higbvuyb

Much of English where one is required to analyse texts, and describe how this metaphor does that, etc is unimportant. In life, you won't often have to analyse why Macbeth ordered the death of Banquo or something, unless you're an english teacher. English should be focussed more on expanding one's vocabulary, and teaching people proper grammar and spelling, which would help them more in later life.

Posted by GameMiestro

Science (the class, not science in general). Even art is more useful than this stupid excuse for a class. It's way too easy, incredibly boring, and yet has no logical use outside of school. If I had my way, I would stop taking all science classes right now, and do something like Computer Science instead (which is actually a useful science, lol).

That being said, Music and Communications are complete wastes of time, and annoying to boot. English is useful, but loses points for making us read "A Seperate Peace", which even Lisa Simpson thinks is terrible.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, man, science never did anything for anyone. Dumbass.

There really isnt a useless major. There are ways of making anything work if you try hard enough.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting higbvuyb: Much of English where one is required to analyse texts, and describe how this metaphor does that, etc is unimportant. In life, you won't often have to analyse why Macbeth ordered the death of Banquo or something, unless you're an english teacher. English should be focussed more on expanding one's vocabulary, and teaching people proper grammar and spelling, which would help them more in later life.

Analyze the why Macbeth ordered the death of Banquo? What the hell that doesnt make sense? It's part of the narrative. Not some deep linguistical smart *** metaphor.

Posted by Arwon

Linguistics.

No, actually that's not true. Linguistics is great, it's just that most people don't really know what it is.

Creative Writing. Not only was it a joke, I never had a use it for it. I just took it because I liked writing and it was either that in the morning or math.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Bebop: Really? How come? Do explain. I'm guessing it's about bening taught to learn from differnt perspectives.

it's difficult to explain, as I'm not one, but what I gathered from discussing it with advisors and whatnot was that law schools like philosophy majors because they tend to have very good rhetoric and arguing skills, oratory skills, etc. Plus, if I said to joe schmoe "the shirt is red" he'd think "it's red" whlie a philsophopy major (in theory) is more inclined to say "is it red, or off red? are you sure? colorblind? the lighting, perhaps?" etc. Philosophy majors kick *** on the LSAT. Or tend to.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Vampiro: Creative Writing. Not only was it a joke, I never had a use it for it. I just took it because I liked writing and it was either that in the morning or math.

creative writing is a wonderful hobby but a difficult career.

Quoted post: creative writing is a wonderful hobby but a difficult career.

Exactly. Worst of all, I wasn't taught a thing. Which is why I felt it was so useless.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Vampiro: Exactly. Worst of all, I wasn't taught a thing. Which is why I felt it was so useless.

I know what you mean. My 9th grad eEnglish class was creative writing, and our teacher was a stoner. She didn't teach us jack **** about writing. The only other option was to change to the teacher who gave detentions for sneezing. :(

Why must my English teachers always suck?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Bebop: Analyze the why Macbeth ordered the death of Banquo? What the hell that doesnt make sense? It's part of the narrative. Not some deep linguistical smart *** metaphor.

Couldn't think of an example just then, and was doing Macbeth homework at the time, k.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Princess Fate: Also, I disagree with Linko on the pointlessness of English classes. Perhaps if these English classes were taught less gayly like reading For Whom The Bell Tolls and having stupid weeks-long discussions about the meaning of it all instead of teaching THAT THE REAL USE OF A SEMICOLON IS NOT TO START A TEXT WINK, maybe English wouldn't be seen as so worthless.

No, I agree. It's just that I've had, like, maybe one English teacher who did stuff like that. Two, I guess, now that I think about it.

EDIT - Two and a half. Don't ask.

Posted by Echo

This thread basically proves that it's not the subject that bothers people, but the teachers, which I agree with. Any subject I took in high school I can see possibly helping me later, even if it means that I have to major in such-and-such to use it. But when teachers are crappy, the class is crappy.

I had an economics teacher who just plain did not teach us anything about economics. We would do projects and stuff, but I honestly learned very little that I didn't know before. Also, she would never notice if we didn't turn something in, and instead of putting a 0 in her grade book for that assignment, she would leave it blank, so it didn't affect our grade for better OR worse. So just plain not doing your work in that class worked.

And I went to a really small private school, so she knew all the kids personally, so there was also lots of favoritism.

Posted by Speedfreak

Art. Art art art art ART.

Utterly USELESS courses. Zero points for good work, zero points what-so-fucking-ever. You're taught how to work against your intuition, how to research in the most tedious, slow way possible (because they want to see your research presented neatly), the further you get the more abstract, vague and pointless the "assignments" get. And did I mention after all that your creativity counts for absolutely nothing?

All your classmates are total fags, too.

Posted by Raptor

Human origins.