Super Metroid

Posted by Desperado

Easily one of the finest 2D games ever created. It's also one of the most influential ones.

[IMG]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2476/8303336qq.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2293/83031ak.png[/IMG]

Posted by Zeta

<3 Super Metroid. Best game ever.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I find it sad that I've had to argue with younger kids these days that this is so much better than the FPS Metroid games.

Very sad, indeed. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I find it sad that I've had to argue with younger kids these days that this is so much better than the FPS Metroid games.

Very sad, indeed.

It's not that sad. Especially since you can't even compare them. Of course SM is one of the best games ever made, but MP stands on it's own and as a completely different game. So, it's just a tad unfair to say "oh man, SM puts this **** to shame". Apples and oranges.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Emperor Vampiro: It's not that sad. Especially since you can't even compare them. Of course SM is one of the best games ever made, but MP stands on it's own and as a completely different game. So, it's just a tad unfair to say "oh man, SM puts this **** to shame". Apples and oranges.

True, but maybe I should clarify.

These kids said Super Metroid was gay, and that the Metroid series was lucky it made it into the 3D realm or else it should have died. :(

Those are the kids you ignore because they're the type you can't reason with.

Posted by Desperado

It's impact is still felt in the gaming industry. Just look at the newer GBA Castlevania titles, the influence is there.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Loved this game... this is one that would keep me locked in my bedroom all day when I should have been out getting something productive done... like playing sports or hitting on chicks.

Posted by Desperado

First time you stepped into the deserted station, you culd immediatly feel the atmosphere. As if sumthing was lurkin around waitin for ur arrival. And bam, Ridley's jus around the corner. You became part of the game.

Heh, I just liked the fact that Samus could run as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog later in the game (shutting up all the at-the-time Sega Genesis fans who claimed the SNES couldn't do what the Genesis could speedwise)

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: Heh, I just liked the fact that Samus could run as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog later in the game (shutting up all the at-the-time Sega Genesis fans who claimed the SNES couldn't do what the Genesis could speedwise)

Haha very true. Super Metroid was a darker platformer mixed with alot of other genres. Doing what Sonic or Mario had never done before. It owned.

Posted by Reachel

Yeah, I mean Super Metorid will always be one of my favorites. I mean when I used to play it about 10 years ago...well when I first got my hands on it I loved it. Play it sometimes also with emulator but with Metorid Prime series, it is FPS, I really like the side scrolling for some reason...SM also was good with that reason too because things would jump out and at that time people would get freaked out since you didn't know what was on the other side, this game though is awesome and I hope maybe jsut they go retro one time only...sometime probably won't happen but I am hoping.

Posted by Vasioth

Super Metroid was, to me, one of the finest SNES games there was. The Gameplay was Superb, espically the first boss fight. It did kinda have a starting story like its presequel (Or the 1st one) but it was still great.

Some of the Boss fights were really complicating also first time around. Oh, and an off-topic suggestion, could you please change your text colour/color Reachel... it really hurts on the eyes...

Posted by Angerion the Brave

I was just playing through Super Metroid yesterday: Once to get all the items (still only able to get about 98%), again to beat it as quickly as possible (I ended up stoping at Ridley at 47 minutes) and another time to see how far I could get without beating Kraid, getting the Varia Suit... I just beat Ridley in that one!:D

But that leads me to my ultimate point here: Super Metroid is one of the greatest testaments to the splendor of the older video games. Super Nintendo was the best for making games that, though they had a best path, you weren't forced to follow it: you could challenge yourself as far as your imagination would let you. These types of limit testing games pretty much ended with the N64 but were at their best in the Golden Age of the SNES.

Nowadays, you're given everything you need, your lead straight to it, it tells you in length and in idiot friendly details what you must do EXACTLY or else.

Posted by Litbut

Super Metroid is one of the best games ever. It'd be great it they ported it to the DS for more of its original feel. All the SNES buttons and stuff. <3

Quoting Desperado: Haha very true. Super Metroid was a darker platformer mixed with alot of other genres. Doing what Sonic or Mario had never done before. It owned.

Your avatar quote should say "Dog eat dog", not "Doggy dogg".

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: Your avatar quote should say "Dog eat dog", not "Doggy dogg".

Its a Snoop Doggy Dogg quote from the song "Doggy Dogg World". I love that joint.

Posted by Litbut

>_> Um...can we get back on topic of how awesome Super Metroid is?

No. Welcome to the internet.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=BassGS]>_> Um...can we get back on topic of how awesome Super Metroid is?

Who the hell are you, again? Whatever, welcome to the internets..

Posted by Desperado

sorry.

Just how fast could you beat the game?

Posted by Tyler Durden

I've managed to pull out between 3-5 hours. However I've still as of yet, not been able to acquire that special Samus greeting at the end.

Posted by Litbut

Alright. <_< Thanks?

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=BassGS]Alright. <_< Thanks?

MGS: "What was that noise?"

I managed to go through the secret passage on the upper left of the landing zone with only getting the Morph Ball and the MB Bombs the other day.

I love it, but I'm running out of ideas. I'm still working on getting into Deep Norfair without the Spacejump and I'm one energy tank short of getting the Xray scope before getting the High Jump boots or the Grapple Hook.

I've managed to go through the game with beating Kraid last. But that's only a challenge until you beat that Thanatos (or what ever his name is) creep in the wrecked ship and get the Gravity Suit.

I have one file at Ridley at 47 minutes, but I did some dawdling so I'm going to try again.

Man, do I ever love this game.:D

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Angerion the Brave: But that's only a challenge until you beat that Thanatos (or what ever his name is) creep in the wrecked ship and get the Gravity Suit.

Phantoom. >_>

Posted by Buhnz_O'Steele

Quoting Desperado: First time you stepped into the deserted station, you culd immediatly feel the atmosphere. As if sumthing was lurkin around waitin for ur arrival. And bam, Ridley's jus around the corner. You became part of the game.

exactly. *spoiler?* when the metroid baby (now adult) died, I actually cried T_T