Rock music lounge

Posted by way2dawn

talk about whatever you want.

Posted by Klarth

This THREAD is dedicated to a hideously generalised statement regarding a genre and a terrible band.

Posted by Raptor

I don't like system of a clown, they don't make me laugh, but I think that's because I am such a shadowy impenetrable enigma.

Posted by Lord of Spam

hey guys lets all pretend that music is objective and then further assume that we automatically know what is "good" and then yell about it on an internet forum LOL were so cool we have frostbite.

Seriously, its all subjective. Some of systems material isnt bad, some of it blows. But then again, you can say that for anything.

Posted by Klarth

Mass-whored media crap isn't subjective :)

Posted by Lord of Spam

OH NOES IT WAS PLAYED ON TEH RADIOP MUST BE BAD LOL

Your penis isnt enlarged by the fact that you listen to bands nobody has ever heard of. You realize this, right? Being obscure isnt a bonus, right? You realize that by being OMG SO REBELLIOUS AGAINST THE MUSIC INDUSTRY LOL you're jsut as retarded and moronic as the kids that listen to the mass produced stuff just because its mas produced, RIGHT?

Posted by Raptor

It's a pretty well-known fact that System of a Down sucks, and that is what we are supposed to be discussing in this room!

At any rate, I doubt any of us here are "rebellious against the music industry" and loathe anything and eveything played on the radio just because it's mainstream. Some of us just happen to possess such a thing as "taste," since we actively search for and open our minds to a wide variety of different and unique music beyond what is shoved in our faces by pop culture, which is quite often absolute garbage.

Posted by Mr.Microsoft

**** system of a down! they are just a bunch of 40 somthins trying to prove they can make whiney-metal.

My chemical romance, & Nirvana have already stirped that genre of it's last bit of decent meat, and the left overs seem to be all SOAD want.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Did I just see someone try to say that nirvana was metal? Jesus christ son, reword that AT ONCE.

Posted by Kiyoshi

I like System of a Down. But I live in a different part of the U.S. than most of you. Some are in a different country all together. Our tastes are bound to be different. I also like Disturbed, Metalica, Rob Zombie, Bon Jovi, a little bit of Ozzy, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the Disco, H.I.M, Savage Garden, Green Day, Evanescence, and a whole bunch of others. Now how many of you like what I like?

Posted by Grave Wisdom

I like a couple System Of a Down songs...I admit it! But I don't own a single album or downloaded a single Mp3 by them. It's just not worth it.

Posted by Klarth

Not all music played on the radio is bad - Iron Maiden, Faith No More, Muse, and Coheed & Cambria are getting some decent radio play recently. However, I honestly ****ing hate bands who fulfill the following criteria:

- All over MTV
- All over the radio
- Predominantly enjoyed by angsty pseudo-metal teenage goths
- RIAA-backed (simply because the bands themselves tend to be hopelessly ripped off, and then there's the whole rootkit issue)
- One of those bands whose old material is completely and utterly disregarded upon the release of a new album, because their old stuff is suddenly "aged" and "boring".

As for the "my penis is bigger, I listen to more obscure music" comment - Don't you think I might wish more people listened to the variety of music I do? Don't you think it ****es me off that nobody's heard of Falkenbach, Ulver or Death In Vegas? I'm not rebellious against anything, to be honest - I simply have higher standards than this teen-pop rebellion-through-conformity crap.

[quote=Aida]I like System of a Down. But I live in a different part of the U.S. than most of you. Some are in a different country all together. Our tastes are bound to be different. I also like Disturbed, Metalica, Rob Zombie, Bon Jovi, a little bit of Ozzy, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the Disco, H.I.M, Savage Garden, Green Day, Evanescence, and a whole bunch of others. Now how many of you like what I like?
Disturbed are nauseating gothmagnets, Metallica are tired beyond words, Rob Zombie is tolerable, Bon Jovi is... ugh, Ozzy is good stuff, Green Day are manufactured shit and Evanescence are weepy and depressed beyond words.

Seriously, if you're into all this "nu-metal" crap, listen to REAL stuff instead - [url]www.metal-archives.com[/url]

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Aida: I like System of a Down. But I live in a different part of the U.S. than most of you. Some are in a different country all together. Our tastes are bound to be different. I also like Disturbed, Metalica, Rob Zombie, Bon Jovi, a little bit of Ozzy, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the Disco, H.I.M, Savage Garden, Green Day, Evanescence, and a whole bunch of others. Now how many of you like what I like?

SAVAGE GARDEN :link:

Posted by Klarth

Oh ****--

I didn't notice that. Hell, I somehow missed nearly a whole line.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Soviet Klarth:

Seriously, if you're into all this "nu-metal" crap, listen to REAL stuff instead - [url]www.metal-archives.com[/url]

I'm sure Metal Archives is a top-notch recommendation for Panic! at the Disco/Green Day fans.

Protip (lol trendy): Some music that isn't metal isn't emo or nu-metal.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting s0ul: I'm sure Metal Archives is a top-notch recommendation for Panic! at the Disco/Green Day fans.

Protip (lol trendy): Some music that isn't metal isn't emo or nu-metal.

I was mainly playing on the HIM/Evanescence/Rob Zombie/Ozzy Osbourne/My Chemical Romance/Disturbed/Metallica side of things :cookie:

Posted by s0ul

****, I was hoping you wouldn't think of that.

In any case, it's a long shot from "real" metal, it's pretty effin' far from something you can jump into.

Posted by Klarth

HIM sounds like Katatonia, Evanescence is pratically Nightwish with rap, Rob Zombie is the industrial equivalent of Devin Townsend. It becomes pretty easy to see the parallels between the metal bands and their pop counterparts after a while.

And hey, pretty much anyone can jump into Nightwish, and everything else from there onwards. Seems to have worked for most of VGC's "met4l 3lit3".

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Ugh, and here I was expecting a decent discussion on rock :rolleyes:

Quoted post:
And hey, pretty much anyone can jump into Nightwish, and everything else from there onwards. Seems to have worked for most of VGC's "met4l 3lit3".

It's better to just jump straight into black metal and work your way down :cookie:

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Soviet Klarth: HIM sounds like Katatonia, Evanescence is pratically Nightwish with rap, Rob Zombie is the industrial equivalent of Devin Townsend. It becomes pretty easy to see the parallels between the metal bands and their pop counterparts after a while.

Sure, but it takes effort to get into obscure music. For instance, every time I want to hear Hips Don't Lie, which is always, I check the pop station and it's always on! Then you also lose your +5 cool factor for not being in the in-crowd which pretends to not be in which makes them even more in.

blah

Posted by G-Sides

SOAD's early stuff was good

and that's where it ends.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Emperor Vampiro: Ugh, and here I was expecting a decent discussion on rock :rolleyes:

Silly Vamp, you should know better than that. :cookie:

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Soviet Klarth: Rob Zombie is the industrial equivalent of Devin Townsend

The pop version of Ministry for the old stuff. Even though KMFDM and Static X are basically that, whatever.

This thread is lame, but there's bickering, so I'll allow it.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Emperor Vampiro: Ugh, and here I was expecting a decent discussion on rock :rolleyes:

It's better to just jump straight into black metal and work your way down :cookie:

What, like down to the stuff that -doesn't- suck balls?

food fight!

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Soviet Klarth: Evanescence is pratically Nightwish with rap

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd love to see someone go into a Nightwish fansite and say that.

Posted by way2dawn

almost all of you on here are idiots.

Posted by Dexter

System of a Down is my favorite Armenian band.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Raptor: HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd love to see someone go into a Nightwish fansite and say that.

Most of Once was practically nu-metal.

Make of that what you will :)

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Raptor: It's a pretty well-known fact that System of a Down sucks

lol irony

Quoting Vampiro: Ugh, and here I was expecting a decent discussion on rock

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXmC9rDykA&search=The%20final%20countdown"]... You want some good rock?[/URL]

Quoted post: What, like down to the stuff that -doesn't- suck balls?

More or less. But I meant, when it comes to extreme forms of metal, black metal is pretty much at the top. Going down would be genres like death, prog, power and so on.

Posted by Ant

I liked System of a Down. Don't really listen to them anymore, but at the time I enjoyed them a lot.

As for what Vamp is saying, I agree!

P.S. NIGHTWISH SUX A[COLOR="lime"]S[/COLOR]S L@L

Posted by Kiyoshi

Some of the bands being mentioned I've never heard of. So Klarth I'm going to check out that link.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Klarth: Most of Once was practically nu-metal.

Okay, let's say the band that represents nu-metal the most is Linkin Park.

Why Once isn't nu-metal:
It has guitar solos.
It has operatic singing.
It has no rapping.
It has an orchestra.
It doesn't necessarily follow verse-chorus structures.
It doesn't consistently use electronic or "modern"-type sounds.
It's not lyrically angsty.
The keyboardist actually does something.
It's not a riff-oriented album.
The drummer plays more than standard bass-snare lines.

I'm sure I can think of more than that. And as far as I know, Evanescence has only one song with rapping.

Go rant about Lacuna Coil or something like that.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Richaod]It has operatic singing.
So does Evanescence.
[quote]It has no rapping.
Listen to the "dead boy's alive but without sense" bit of Romanticide and repeat that.
[quote]It doesn't necessarily follow verse-chorus structures.
Dark Chest of Wonders, Nemo, Wish I Had An Angel, Planet Hell, The Siren and Higher Than Hope all follow said structure.
[quote]It's not lyrically angsty.
"If you be the one to cut me I'll bleed forever" - Ghost Love Score
"Drown without inhaling" - Higher Than Hope
"No more tearstains on the pages of my diary" - Dead Gardens
[quote]It's not a riff-oriented album.
Ahahahaha.
[quote]Go rant about Lacuna Coil or something like that.
Their new stuff pretty nu-metal too :)

Posted by Kiyoshi

I think I like you. I forgot a few bands on my previous list. Three Doors Down, Fall-out Boy, Thrice, Simple Plan, Taking Back Sunday, Hawthorne Heights, and Last Man Standing. Ooh, and while we're mentioning Last Man Standing I'll mention; UnderOath, and Relient K. Almost forgot Blink-182.

Posted by Klarth

Get AIM and I'll send you some stuff.

Yeah, all those bands suck. Klarth can hopefully balance out your fail

/elitism

Posted by Klarth

Maybe I can even tip it over :cookie:

Posted by Kiyoshi

I have AIM. But right now, I'm at my grandma's until Saturday so you can find me on this name: Chihirosen8872, I think. I don't remember. Yeah I'm pathetic like that. But I only use it for a few weeks during the summer. Try that and if it doesn't work I'll get back to you.

Posted by Kiyoshi

My mistake. It's Chihirosen882. Yeah, well we talked so it's all good. And here is one more more band that I forgot: Creed. There ya go. That's about all I know. I'm open to suggestions.