North Korea Tests Missiles

Posted by Random

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13704198/?GT1=8307

Discuss

We need to take action. We need to stop being UN Pu**ies and kick some f***ing ***. Take em down!

Of course their testing failed, we can't let it succeed.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

LOL...North Korea rocks!!! :D

They'll get it right next time! ;)

Posted by Xenos

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/07/05/korea.missile/index.html

Hur hur, odd. I was reading this article and I was going to post it. Guess I was beaten a bit.

Posted by Kanashuri

Why cant we just eliminate north korea?

Posted by poisonblood

Have you heard of somthing called the KOREAN WAR......

Why dont you look it up?

We already tried to get rid of North Korea, and we failed.

Posted by The Judge

The simple solution, obviously, would be to whipe it off the map. Not like they're living very amiable lives anyways. Put them out of their misery.

Howeeeeever, that's not very humanitarian. We failed in the Korean War, yes, but I'm almost garuanteeing there'll be more than a handful of assassination attempts going on now, if not just an all-out erradication of the country's leaders by multiple other countries who are threatened by them.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You guys realize that the declaration that put us into the Korean war is still active, right? We've still been at war with them since the 50s, we just havent been shooting at them.

But I think its funny that we invade a nation because they MIGHT have nukes, and then ignore a country that IS TESTING A MISSLE DESIGNED TO DELIVER A NUKE TO AMERICA.

Posted by The Judge

Silly willy, they don't have Oil Reserves we can conviently confiscate on the side. :cookie:

Posted by GameMiestro

Clearly, we should cover our coasts with Missle Turrets and Siege Tanks for backup.

Posted by Kanashuri

What if they get battlecruisers, though? WE'RE ****ED!

Posted by Lord of Spam

What if they SHUT THE HELL UP. Why, then they'd be doing what you should do LOL.

I can kind of see the reasoning behind not attacking the man with the nukes, but still. If we attacked someone who we THOUGHT had nukes, why do we suddenly find ourselves without and balls and resorting to democracy? HEll, we even have a standing agression with them, so its not like any pesky declaration would be needed either.

Posted by Kanashuri

Thats why we use our highly advanced Yamato technology against them

Posted by Mr.Microsoft

HMMMM......

lets put this in perspective...

N. Korea launches a hundred Long range missles W/ small nuclear heads -50% fail to even hit us. 30% are Destroyed by STARWARS (no idots not the movie the anti-missile system erected by Regan) and 20% actually hit US. Soil.

In retailiation-

a red-neck US President launches 1 Large ATOMIC "Atom Bomb" From a C-15 Cargo plane. Thus annihilating the entire portion of north Korea and some of china.

Hmmm..... North Korea, We have about 15 MILLION FULL SIZED NUCLEAR WARHEAD and around 60 atom Bombs.

If any of you assualt us...well...you're F-U-C-K-E-D

Posted by Kanashuri

I propose we all move to australia

Posted by Mr.Microsoft

agreed

Posted by Lord of Spam

You are a retard. BJ and Arwon need to get in here and intelligence the place up.

Actually, I'm particularly interested in arwons thoughts, since he is now in nuking range.

Posted by Kanashuri

Whats wrong with Australia? Everyone loves Kangaroos

Posted by Mr.Microsoft

NOTE* THE SPAM: Dude I hope you're not talking to me. I was just casually kidding around. Seriousness is the kinda thing, that if you want it, the news is the place to go.

---------------------

kangaroo's.......they smell, and dont get me started on the mucus in ther pouches. I went to a zoo one time and stuck my hand in a kangaroo pouch, and that stuff wouldnt hardly come off even with water.

Posted by Kanashuri

Those are zoo kangaroos. Nothing like a wild kangaroo covered in blood after it has just killed.

Posted by Arwon

Not much to say really, doesn't appreciably alter the situatuation as far as I can see. North Korea's still a crazy cultish dystopia, kind of a 1984-made-flesh theme park. North Korea can now probably deliver, or will soon be able to deliver, a handful of nukes to various places, especially South Korea and Japan, but the fundamental rules of nuclear strategy still apply - MAD and all that. And they're strategically out-matched and completely isolated. It's a simple equation that hasn't changed--NK starts something nuclear, NK gets glassed.

This move gives the DPRK more leverage on the world stage, a way to extort eased sanctions or some other concessions from the big players around it. They're a country pursuing their security same as any other and obviously the better weapons they have, the more safe from outsiders they are. It's rational, though very provocative given the scary and odious nature of the regime.

The essential worry of a nuclear North Korea is that the North Korean regime is pretty psychotic and could potentially lash out for little-to-no reason in a way no other nuclear state could. It's a bizzare one-man communist theocracy thing, after-all. This a much more genuine worry than it is with Iran--which is very stable, run by sane if wretchedly conservative Ayatollahs (NOT just by the president), clearly wants nukes for deterrent purposes in an unstable region, and is certain to favour self-preservation in any concievable situation. North Korea doesn't quite have all that going on. Maybe they might a start something to stabilise a collapsing regime or something like that. It's a worry, I admit, but I think the certainty of utter annihilation (and surely the people in charge, at least, are aware of that) must be enough of a deterrent. It has been for 50 years.

Tensions on the peninsula are the main event, and to me, the America-China-Japan show has always been a sideline to the relationship between the two Koreas. The US is only of interest to North Korea as guaranteur of South Korea's existance. America and the rest of us keep acting like this is all about them, but it's actually all about the two Koreas, funnily enough.

As far as I can see, things like the SK'an Sunshine Policy are the way to go. Keep acting friendly and generous with the economic and political links and aid and so forth, placate an extremely improverished and paranoid neighbour as much as possible. Keep the head down and wait and see what happens in North Korea in the future. And hope the outside players don't **** things up for them too much.

As is the case with Iran, the fear and angst is overblown and the calls to invade or nuke from America are, of course, retarded. The biggest danger of a nuclear war occurring is still between India and Pakistan.

Also: Kangaroos are actually pretty bad pests. We make them into pet food.

Posted by The Judge

Beyond all that (nice points btw), I apologize to Hig for having an opinion. I guess if he doesn't agree with it, it's obviously wrong.

Posted by Arwon

Forget the missiles, [url=http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/korea/articles/20060705.aspx]this is just bizzare[/url]. As if the utter bizzareness of North Korea needed further highlighting.

[quote]For example, food and fuel supplies sent to North Korea have been halted, not to force North Korea to stop missile tests or participate in peace talks, but to return the Chinese trains the aid was carried in on. In the last few weeks, the North Koreans have just kept the trains, sending the Chinese crews back across the border. North Korea just ignores Chinese demands that the trains be returned, and insists that the trains are part of the aid program. It's no secret that North Korean railroad stock is falling apart, after decades of poor maintenance and not much new equipment. Stealing Chinese trains is a typical loony-tune North Korean solution to the problem. If the North Koreans appear to make no sense, that's because they don't. Put simply, when their unworkable economic policies don't work, the North Koreans just conjure up new, and equally unworkable, plans. The Chinese have tried to talk the North Koreans out of these pointless fantasies, and for their trouble they have their trains stolen. How do you negotiate under these conditions? No one knows. The South Koreans believe that if they just keep the North Korean leaders from doing anything too destructive (especially to South Korea), eventually the tragicomic house of cards up north will just collapse. Not much of a plan, but so far, no one's come up with anything better.

Posted by The Judge

Holy crap, is he insane? He seems to be doing everything in his power to make everyone turn against him. How could you possibly do that to one of the few countries who's actually aiding you?

Posted by mis0

I don't know why anyone really believes that North Korea has the capability to park a missile on US soil. Japan and South Korea have plenty of reason to be concerned about "stuff" that may or may not contain "nuclear warheads" landing on their cities, but right now, there's no reason to think any of it will work, except for their seemingly unreliable super-SCUDs. Obviously, anyone with a brain will realize that "GO IN THAR 'ND KICK SUM ASSS!11" is a terrible plan. We just need to wait this one out, because as the South Koreans think, the North will eventually crumble.

Posted by Random

Well we can't just jump head first into war with North Korea. However Diplomacy is obviously failing. The UN Sucks horribly and probably should be disbanned because it fails. Now certain countries I could agree with to have nuclear arms. They being allies or even rational nations. However North Korea has one crazy assed dictator who doesn't care about the rest of the world.

Mark my words... HE WILL "TRY" (if not doing so) to nuke either us or an ally. We can't just set off nuclear war or go into war head first. But diplomacy fails. The UN sits on its *** like it did with every war Israel had against Islamic nations. When the Islamic nations invaded the UN did nothing. When Israel fights back and kicked their ***es the UN decided to step in.

Diplomacy sucks. Action must be takin somehow otherwise we maybe looking at something much worse.

Posted by Kanashuri

Quoting SomebodyStalin: Well we can't just jump head first into war with North Korea. However Diplomacy is obviously failing. The UN Sucks horribly and probably should be disbanned because it fails. Now certain countries I could agree with to have nuclear arms. They being allies or even rational nations. However North Korea has one crazy assed dictator who doesn't care about the rest of the world.

Mark my words... HE WILL "TRY" (if not doing so) to nuke either us or an ally. We can't just set off nuclear war or go into war head first. But diplomacy fails. The UN sits on its *** like it did with every war Israel had against Islamic nations. When the Islamic nations invaded the UN did nothing. When Israel fights back and kicked their ***es the UN decided to step in.

Diplomacy sucks. Action must be takin somehow otherwise we maybe looking at something much worse.

I concur with stalin and my previous post was aimed at that in a more dumbed down version

EDIT***** For your info they are having a debate about this on Fox News, just in case anyone else is interested

Posted by Random

I don't fear so much for ourselves as I do South Korea/Japan/China. I believe North Korea would launch at them first. Though i'm sure theyu'd like to take a stab at us I don't believe it'll happen anytime soon. More likely our allies. Still diplomacy sucks and we must do something.

Posted by Kanashuri

I think we need to destroy all of our crazy world leaders like Kim Jong[IMG]http://www.worstworldleaders.com/images/kim.jpg[/IMG]
Omar Al-Bashir[IMG]http://www.axisglobe.com/Image/2005/07/23/belarus/271-3.gif[/IMG]
Than Shwe[IMG]http://www.newint.org/issue382/pics/than-shwe.jpg[/IMG]
and Pee Wee Herman[IMG]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5425/peeweehitler6fn.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Arwon

For all the jumping up and down and paranoia, there's no value of "doing something" that isn't going to be worse. Just because people have a hard-on for wars and no sense of perspective doesn't mean starting something's a good idea. You start something with North Korea, they will **** South Korea up pretty bad, nuclear weapons or no (pretty sure they've got plenty of chemical stuff in range of Seoul). China still might well have something to say about it as well. And FWIW South Koreans would likely blame America for provoking the North.

Get some perspective, please. North Korea is still tiny, starving and isolated and well aware that war=end. South Korea's sunshine policy is still about the best solution there is. They're the ones who have to live with the danger and there's a reason they're not all gung-ho about war or even regime collapse. If you want a war, go invade the Sudan.

Posted by Random

You fail to realize they have a crazy dictator who is starved for war. I garuntee he'd push that red button and nuke anyone he could. He wants to show his power. North Korea is a very powerful nation. Putting a powerful nation with Nukes is even worse.

It could get worse. You seem to think on the small side that world peace will happen overnight. I'm sure the South Koreans would be more supportive to us taking action. Afterall if we didn't, South Korea would probably be the primary target of North Korea's to be nuked.

China isn't the same China that supported North Korea the first time around. That was during the cold war. Modern day China isn't so much for Communism. Nor do they want North Korea producing Nuclear warheads.

I at least say we take out whatever missile silo's we can. Pull a Stealth Fighter Jet into action and take out the Silo's.

Oh so whats going to happen? THE UN WILL SANCTION THEM AND CUT OFF SUPPLIES OMGZ!! As if North Korea isn't already P*ssed off, they'll be even more P*ssed off and starved. They'd probably throw missiles off left and right. Kim Jong Ill isn't your average person.

Anyone who doesn't support some sort of effort (other than gay *** diplomacy which has obviously failed) to rid North Korea of their arms is ignorant. If Fidel Castro was pro nuking the US and honestly wanted to (Which the USSR talked him out of it) i'm sure Kim is no different. Only he's not listening to Russia like Cuba had.

I enjoy this topic. Debate some more.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting The Judge: Beyond all that (nice points btw), I apologize to Hig for having an opinion. I guess if he doesn't agree with it, it's obviously wrong.

Oh, what? Crying in a corner because I derepped you once?

Quoting SomebodyStalin: oh noes teh commies are coming!1!!11!

If you just think that the North Korean dictator is a violent irrational psychopath who illogically lashes out and anyone in reach, you're ignorant. If he was such a person, he would have tried to invade South Korea already.

Obviously, he knows that if he tries to actually do anything violent toward another nation, they would be crushed immediately, and he knows that, so he won't. North Korea isn't exactly a threat to anybody right now, and they're just succeeding in making a lot of people scared of a missile that didn't even work.

I disliek the fact that morons who have absolutely no grasp of the situation are posting in this thread.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting SomebodyStalin: You fail to realize they have a crazy dictator who is starved for war. I garuntee he'd push that red button and nuke anyone he could. He wants to show his power. North Korea is a very powerful nation. Putting a powerful nation with Nukes is even worse.

It could get worse. You seem to think on the small side that world peace will happen overnight. I'm sure the South Koreans would be more supportive to us taking action. Afterall if we didn't, South Korea would probably be the primary target of North Korea's to be nuked.

China isn't the same China that supported North Korea the first time around. That was during the cold war. Modern day China isn't so much for Communism. Nor do they want North Korea producing Nuclear warheads.

I at least say we take out whatever missile silo's we can. Pull a Stealth Fighter Jet into action and take out the Silo's.

Oh so whats going to happen? THE UN WILL SANCTION THEM AND CUT OFF SUPPLIES OMGZ!! As if North Korea isn't already P*ssed off, they'll be even more P*ssed off and starved. They'd probably throw missiles off left and right. Kim Jong Ill isn't your average person.

Anyone who doesn't support some sort of effort (other than gay *** diplomacy which has obviously failed) to rid North Korea of their arms is ignorant. If Fidel Castro was pro nuking the US and honestly wanted to (Which the USSR talked him out of it) i'm sure Kim is no different. Only he's not listening to Russia like Cuba had.

I enjoy this topic. Debate some more.

Wait, you're claiming that "the South Koreans would be more supportive to us taking action" with what evidence exactly? The Sunshine Policy of business links and aid and so forth still exists and still has support. South Korea's basically walking a tightrope between North Korea and the US and it seems like they worry that both sides are being provocative and dangerous. There was a BBC poll a couple of years ago that showed South Koreans [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/programmes/wtwta/poll/img/military/graph_50.gif]believe America is a more dangerous than North Korea[/url] and I've seen a couple of other similar polls as well. From a Japanese source: [url=http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/international/news/20060706p2g00m0in014000c.html]Many South Koreans sympathize with North Korea despite missile tests[/url].

While this'll make many people a little more nervous and the SK govt will probably make some sort of symbolic move (I think they're delaying food and fertiliser aid), I dunno that it'll fundamentally alter the politics of South Korea's relationship with North Korea and I can't see them suspending the guts of the Sunshine Policy.

You're also way too quick to dismiss Chinese support for North Korea. They're not big fans of NK, the wacko train-theft thing being just one example, but China's not likely to approve of strong punitive action, and what they will do is a big unknown in the situation. There's every chance China would still throw their weight behind North Korea just because that's what they do. Confrontation with North Korea still has the uncomfortable air of potential confrontation with China about it. Are the stakes really that high that this is a good idea?

Look, North Korea's government is bizzare and crazy and all that, but the fundamental rules of nuclear strategy still apply. Which is that North Korea has a handful of nukes they can only deliver via plane or maybe in a few years, via sh!tty homemade missiles. They're a small small player with a small economy and lack of technical prowess. Compare this to the entire advanced nuclear arsenal of, you know, the rest of the world. They might go nuts and launch a nuclear attack, but then, so might anyone.

Posted by Demonblade

i dont really need another place to be deployed to, i say we finish up in iraq first.

Posted by Arwon

And that just raises the whole "consequences of doing something" thing. For all values of "doing something"

Are you people going to invade? If so, what's the plan... regime change? Unification with the South?

Are you saying "air strikes" and if so, are you willing to accept the fact that Seoul and much of South Korea will get pulverised by artillery and so forth (thus making them hate you as well as the North)?

Sanctions? Well that's been tried, but South Korea and China will keep trading...

There's no good options here. "We have to do something" is basically empty bluster.

Posted by Dreadnought

[quote=Mr.Microsoft]HMMMM......

lets put this in perspective...

N. Korea launches a hundred Long range missles W/ small nuclear heads -50% fail to even hit us. 30% are Destroyed by STARWARS (no idots not the movie the anti-missile system erected by Regan) and 20% actually hit US. Soil.

In retailiation-

a red-neck US President launches 1 Large ATOMIC "Atom Bomb" From a C-15 Cargo plane. Thus annihilating the entire portion of north Korea and some of china.

Hmmm..... North Korea, We have about 15 MILLION FULL SIZED NUCLEAR WARHEAD and around 60 atom Bombs.

If any of you assualt us...well...you're F-U-C-K-E-D

First of all, get your math/physics straight. STAR WARS is lunacy; it will be like trying to hit a bullet with another bullet before it gets close enough to hear. The US simply does *not* posess the technology necessary to stop/detonate an incoming nuke until it is far too late (I.E close enough for an airburst to eradicate, or at least sufficiently contaminate an area). Given the fact that the standard U-235 derivative nuclear weapon is today 1,000 times more energetic/efficient than the Fat Man dropped on Nagasaki, we are screwed by even ten. Also, we cannot feel safe in 'superior' armaments either; we only have about 6,000 nuclear weapons of any description, total. To fend off an entire world, if it comes to that. Even your optimistic estimate of 20 nukes hitting us is enough to screw the majority of the country into oblivion.

In short, nukes are not the answer, because it would be like lighting a cigarette in a gas refinery. Welcome to the 21st century, child.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Nukes are a deterrent. Thats all they're good for; "Nuke us, and we nuke you 10 times as hard."

Thats the reason that nobody wants them to spread. Let enough people get them, and eventually someone will hit The Button, and the **** will hit the fan on a scale that has never before been known to humanity.

Posted by poisonblood

Nuclear war is a very near future.

Posted by Brandon Heat

Quoting Dreadnought: First of all, get your math/physics straight. STAR WARS is lunacy; it will be like trying to hit a bullet with another bullet before it gets close enough to hear. The US simply does *not* posess the technology necessary to stop/detonate an incoming nuke until it is far too late (I.E close enough for an airburst to eradicate, or at least sufficiently contaminate an area). Given the fact that the standard U-235 derivative nuclear weapon is today 1,000 times more energetic/efficient than the Fat Man dropped on Nagasaki, we are screwed by even ten. Also, we cannot feel safe in 'superior' armaments either; we only have about 6,000 nuclear weapons of any description, total. To fend off an entire world, if it comes to that. Even your optimistic estimate of 20 nukes hitting us is enough to screw the majority of the country into oblivion.

In short, nukes are not the answer, because it would be like lighting a cigarette in a gas refinery. Welcome to the 21st century, child.

Actually we do have the capability to shoot down nukes. There is a missle system called THAAD that can be refitted with kinetic warheads that can destoy a nuke. (We tested it on a Hera) I also believe the Aegis system can be used to intercept a nuklear missle as well. Then there is the sattelite based system called Brilliant pebbles, though I forgot how that one worked.

Posted by poisonblood

The problem with destroying a nuclear wepon is that even though it does not make contact with the ground it will still spred nuclear radiation which will make lots of people very sick.

Posted by Random

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=2172872

Seems as though Japan wants to strike first. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Go Team Japan!!! Take out those Silo's and Reactors!

Posted by Demonblade

Nukes are old news...the wave of the future lies in SBKKV's...those are the heat. Who knew that rebar could do so much damage?

Posted by Arwon

Yep, Japan becoming a military power and attacking Korea. That's bound to go down well. I bet the South Koreans would be thrilled.

Posted by theblobishere92

Kind of off topic, but does anyone think a nuclear bomb could be sent in one of the crates that come in L.A. harbor daily? Are they checked throughly enough to detect a bomb?