Secret Of Mana

Posted by Desperado

Secret of Mana is a Squaresoft action/RPG, released in 1993 for the Super Nintendo. In Japan it came out as Seiken Densetsu 2. This game took everyone's breath away! Before Secret of Mana, the last Square snes games that came out were Final Fantasy II (part IV in Japan), Romancing Saga and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. The graphics of those games were impressive at the time, but not for long. Then all of a sudden Secret of Mana came out with gorgeous graphics, funfactor and animation. The game amazed audiences with its exciting real-time battles and fantasy like world. You get to choose from a wide variety of weapons and magic to use in battle. This game is truly a golden classic of the 16-bit age. It eventually went platinum and sold over a million copies in the U.S alone. This was a big achievment back in the day cause RPG's weren't known to gain alot of attention from the mainstream. SOM did just that and paved the way for other gems such as Chrono Trigger & Final Fantasy VI (not 2 mention an incredible sequel).

[IMG]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3669/secret20of20mana8qk.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/6929/somshot085jo.gif[/IMG]

Posted by Grave Wisdom

To date, i'm still not sure which I like better...Seiken Densetsu 2 or 3. One of the few TRUE classic Action/RPG series.

Posted by Roger Smith

I approve of this thread. Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite RPG's.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Quoting Red Roger: I approve of this thread. Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite RPG's.

Then you have good taste sir!

Posted by Raptor

Secret of Mana was one of the few video games I ever truly became lost in, enough to immerse myself within for hours and lose almost all conscious awareness of the world around me. Everything about the game is classic. So much of the music is beautiful and enchanting, and seems to complement the landscapes flawlessly. Many of the characters, enemies, and bosses are wonderfully unique and memorable. The attention to detail in terms of graphics and character animations was always very impressive. For some reason, I could always lose myself in this game more easily than in any other RPG or adventure game, save for perhaps Link to the Past. I used to spend hours traipsing about the exotic outside areas and palaces and imagining my actual self exploring them. The Ice Forest and the Pure Land were two of my favourite places. Of course, riding around on Flammie was always a fabulous experience. It inspired my imagination like no other game, and was quite simply magical. Secret of Mana was one of the things I lived for.

Posted by Klarth

Secret of Mana never struck me as amazing... At all. It was way too colourful and oversaturated for my tastes, and the characters irritated me. The abundance of boss fights was quite nice, though, but I still greatly preferred Secret of Mana II.

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Raptor: Secret of Mana was one of the few video games I ever truly became lost in, enough to immerse myself within for hours and lose almost all conscious awareness of the world around me. Everything about the game is classic. So much of the music is beautiful and enchanting, and seems to complement the landscapes flawlessly. Many of the characters, enemies, and bosses are wonderfully unique and memorable. The attention to detail in terms of graphics and character animations was always very impressive. For some reason, I could always lose myself in this game more easily than in any other RPG or adventure game, save for perhaps Link to the Past. I used to spend hours traipsing about the exotic outside areas and palaces and imagining my actual self exploring them. The Ice Forest and the Pure Land were two of my favourite places. Of course, riding around on Flammie was always a fabulous experience. It inspired my imagination like no other game, and was quite simply magical. Secret of Mana was one of the things I lived for.

I felt the same

Posted by Zeta

Played this for the first time about two months ago. Got up to the Pure Land, then stopped, as my magic and weapon levels were pretty low, and I didn't want to spend forever getting them up to their current max. I'll finish it someday, though.

Quoting Raptor: bosses are wonderfully unique and memorable.

*Looks at all the recolors*

Posted by Klarth

[url=http://mmxz.zophar.net/rpg/mana2/bosses/bosses.html]However, on the other hand when you look at the sequel...[/url]

Come on, isn't this guy the best ****ing final boss ever? I think he is!

Posted by MottaTheHutt

I started playing it a while back. I mean, a WHILE. Never beat it, and I'm not sure why. I guess it was too hard for me back then... But it's in the basement. Hell, I'm gonna hook up my SNES later...

Posted by Zeta

It gets easier after you get magic. No boss so far has given me as much trouble as that sabre-tooth thing early in the game.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Mao Zeta: It gets easier after you get magic. No boss so far has given me as much trouble as that sabre-tooth thing early in the game.

Quoted for truth.

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Soviet Klarth: [url=http://mmxz.zophar.net/rpg/mana2/bosses/bosses.html]However, on the other hand when you look at the sequel...[/url]

Come on, isn't this guy the best ****ing final boss ever? I think he is!

Yeh he was a hard one but I liked the Mana Beast better tho. Now that was one of coolest SNES villains eva!!

Posted by Zeta

Y'know, Desperado, you remind me of an old VGC member named Chaotix (Or maybe it was a K instead of Ch.) He made a lot of threads for older games also, and kinda typed the same as you.

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Mao Zeta: Y'know, Desperado, you remind me of an old VGC member named Chaotix (Or maybe it was a K instead of Ch.) He made a lot of threads for older games also, and kinda typed the same as you.

hehe

Yup thats me. I was pretty troublesome around here too lol. But things have changed.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

My favorite action RPG of all time, still to this day. I really hope they make a GBA or DS remake, and a release of SoMII/Seiken Densetsu III here in America...

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: My favorite action RPG of all time, still to this day. I really hope they make a GBA or DS remake, and a release of SoMII/Seiken Densetsu III here in America...

It wuld help. Who were ur fav characters in the game?

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

King Truffle, just for the absolute ridiculum that is a talking mustachioed mushroom named after a dessert food, who has a pet dragon.

Maybe the girl next. The game didn't really have much character development, the closest attempt being the thrown-together girl and Dyluck love story.

Posted by Desperado

Yeh, her name's Purim.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Oh man, it's been ages since I've played SoM, it's truely a master piece, with or without friends to play with you.

It's challenging without being frustrating, the action is well paced and there's tons of secrets to uncover: the level 9 orbs, the ultimate armours, the secret Spells. The only problem (as Secret of Evermor shared in spades) is that it could be glitchy at times, mistaking a cure for damage in an intence battle killing you but not killing you at the same time leaving a character as an un-revivable ghost until you go to an Inn... MAN that was an annoying time.:D

But even its glitches add to its charms and I will always love this game.