Old/Classic SNES RPGS

Posted by Jimjam8822

Hey all, i was just wondering if anyone knew of some good classic snes rpgs bsides zelda and ff. I hear soem people talking about I think it was elder's quest but I dunno what platform of if I heard the name wrong. GOt ne suggestions or does anyone know if there is a elder's quest? it seemes that the game they were talking about was old so its nothing recent. Thanks

Posted by Xenos

There are many,many other good classic SNES RPGs besides FF, and Zelda, in fact, most of them are better than those.

There are way too many for me to list, but perhaps my most favorite RPG game for the SNES was Terranigma.

Posted by Klarth

Tales of Phantasia is the best game I've ever played, followed closely by Terranigma and Star Ocean.

The FF games were great, too.

Posted by William

I'll use a complete list of the SNES RPGs, and edit it to only show the ones I enjoyed...Hope that helps. Some are only available if you can find a translated ROM, or you know japanese and can get imported games.

Breath of Fire 1
Breath of Fire 2
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
E.V.O. Search for Eden
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Front Mission 1
Illusion of Gaia (Illusion of Time)
Inindo: Way of the Ninja
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
Robotrek
Romancing Saga 3
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Secret of the Stars
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Terranigma
Bahamut Lagoon
Dual Orb 2
Feda: Emblem of Justice
Final Fantasy 5
Live a Live
Magic Knight RayEarth
Rudora no Hihou
Seiken Densetsu 3
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia

Now, for the NES...

Final Fantasy
Dragon Warrior I
Dragon Warrior II
Dragon Warrior III
The Legend of Zelda
Crystalis
Willow
Faxanadu (sort of...)
Startropics I
Startropics II (Both of the Startropics games, are both sort of RPG-adventure type of games)

Posted by Philsdad

Good lists. If you liked the first three Dragon Warriors, then you should really try the 4th one for NES, and DQ6 for SNES (Japanese only, but translated roms available.) The SNES is easily the best RPG system ever, with the PS1 and NES close behind.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Yeah, the Dragon Warrior games are great. Chrono Trigger is up there too.

If you're willing to go as far as early PSX games, SaGa Frontier is the way to go.

BTW, hello Jimmy. Haven't talked to you in a while.

Fei-on

Posted by dark_zero

my fav. rpg for the snes is crono trigger :)

Posted by Inferno

Quoting Fei-on Castor:

If you're willing to go as far as early PSX games, SaGa Frontier is the way to go.

Fei-on

Wow, I forgot all about this game even though I own the second one. Looks like I'm making a visit to eBay after this.

Anyway, The Breath of Fire series is a great series on the SNES, as is Lufia 1 and 2. Secret of Mana is also one of my favorite RPGs.

Posted by Bubblez

What about Actraiser 1, does that count as RPG? You have some side scrolling action levels but you also can build the cities and stuff. Great game btw.

Posted by William

Well, ActRaiser can sort of be considered an RPG. It's more like an action-sidescroller with RPG elements embedded within it. To me at least.

Posted by inequity

Well, if theres any game you must play its earthbbound for SNES. Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread or not but its an excellent RPG. Hard to find though.

Posted by dark_zero

I forgot to mention that chrono trigger came out on the snes and later on the ps
(sony is coming out with a playstation x the x stands for it's crossover capibilitys yay!!!)

Posted by William

No, Chrono Trigger came out on the SNES. Chrono CROSS came out on the PS, which is the sequel to Chrono Trigger.

There's also another "Chrono" series game coming out for the PS2 (I think), called Chrono Break or something like that though.

Posted by Inferno

Chrono Trigger was released on the PS, it was like Final Fantasy Chronicles or something, it came with CT and FF4 I think.

Back on topic, I forgot to mention that Super Mario RPG is also a really fun RPG to play through. The story may not be as ingtriguing as Final Fantasy but the gameplay was ridiculously fun for an RPG, for me at least. Plus there are tons of minigames that add to the whole game. If definitely not the most technical or serious game but everything else makes up for that.

Posted by William

Ah, yeah...Sorry about that. I had forgot that it came along with FF Chronicles :(