Super Mario World

Posted by Desperado

One of the most popular games of all time. To Most ppl who bought the snes during the early 90s, SMW was their very first 16bit mario experience. It lived up to the name. Gamers never saw anything quite like it before.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Not quite on the level of Super Mario 3, but still very very close. SMW was also the last non-portable Mario game i've enjoyed to any great extent. Kinda sad when I think about it :(

But anyway, for a first generation Snes game...it was possibly the best one. The graphics demonstrated the special features of the system, and it also featured possibly the best soundtrack of all the Mario games.

Posted by Zeta

Oh man... so many horrible memories of Tubular... @_@

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Grave Wisdom: Not quite on the level of Super Mario 3, but still very very close. SMW was also the last non-portable Mario game i've enjoyed to any great extent. Kinda sad when I think about it :(

But anyway, for a first generation Snes game...it was possibly the best one. The graphics demonstrated the special features of the system, and it also featured possibly the best soundtrack of all the Mario games.

Hm...I believe SMW expanded the mark once set by it's predecor. Its ur opinion none the less and I accept it.

Posted by wii

it rocks without a doubt.

Posted by Xero

The games were fun. Reminds me of the times I had my SNES. My first game was DK country 1, but the next games I got were all from mario, cuz I wanted to complete them all.

Posted by Kit

Oh man, I loved this game. I remember all of the star stages. Those were fun.

Posted by GameMiestro

Super Mario World >>>>> Super Mario Bros 3

Posted by Arcadios

Super Mario 64 > Super Mario World > Super Mario Bros. 1 > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Super Mario Bros. 2

Posted by Xero

Super Mario 64 > Super mario kart > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Super Mario Bros. 2 > Super Mario Bros. 1

:D

Posted by Pit

Super Mario bros. was more original and had cooler worlds, but as a game as whole, offering more challenge and depth, Super Mario World was easily a better, longer, and larger game a s a whole. If you replay 3, you'll notice how short the levels are and how easy they are compared to those in Super Mario World.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Pit: Super Mario bros. was more original and had cooler worlds, but as a game as whole, offering more challenge and depth, Super Mario World was easily a better, longer, and larger game a s a whole. If you replay 3, you'll notice how short the levels are and how easy they are compared to those in Super Mario World.

I beg to differ... I would have to say that the last 3 worlds were pretty challenging.

Super Mario World was pretty awesome though. I still play it to this day.

Posted by Zapper

SMW was one of the first games I played on SNES. I still play it today :D
It's an awesome game. I've played it through countless times.

I actually tried to hack the ROM and add some extra stuff not too long ago :p:
I stopped eventually out of frustration, i'll give it another try soon maybe.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Zapper: I actually tried to hack the ROM and add some extra stuff not too long ago :p:
I stopped eventually out of frustration, i'll give it another try soon maybe.

Hey, what do you know, so did I.

I couldn't get it to vertically scroll, and some enemy sprites and stuff were buggy. >_>

Posted by Proto Man

I hooked my cousin up with a good ROM editor, and he made up these crazy levels. I haven't played them yet, but from what he told me, they sound pretty tough. I can't wait to try them out!

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I liked SMB3 just slightly more than SMW, but that doesn't mean that I didn't LOVE SMW. I liked how much more there was to accomplish in SMW. You could beat Bowser and still not be even close to the *96.

Which, back then, was quite a feat to achieve. My brother and I were the only ones we knew that had gotten ALL 96. Most people overlooked the secondary ending in the Valley of Bowser Ghost House. And that's understandable, considering how out-of-the-way the ending is. I'm not sure how we stumbled accross it. For the longest time, we figured the game only had 95, because we couldn't find anymore. On a regular level, you can see by the color of the dot if that level has multiple endings. But Ghost Houses and fortresses don't have a colored dot to help out with that, so you just have to thouroughly investigate.

That sort of thing was fun. Plus, the "Special" levels were tough, in places (especially "Tubular", I thought). But the reward was outstanding. I'd always have friends come over just because I knew they hadn't beaten them yet. And they'd see me playing the game with the weird looking enemies and then they'd freak out. Awesome.

Plus, isn't this the first entry featuring Yoshi as a mount for Mario and Luigi?

Posted by Proto Man

I actually picked up on the secret in Valley of Bowser Ghost house right away. Although if I remember correctly, it's because of a book my mom bought me about a year after the game first came out. It's been a while, so I can't remember if I found it without the book or not.

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Plus, isn't this the first entry featuring Yoshi as a mount for Mario and Luigi?

Actually, it's the first entry featuring Yoshi PERIOD. lol

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Wow, I thought he was in an NES game before this. I know there was a game called "Yoshi" for NES, but I think it was some kind of puzzle game. I never played it. But I suppose it could've come out after the SNES.

Posted by Zeta

Yoshi's Cookie was released 2 years after Super Mario World.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

The last great 2D Mario game to come out on a console. I love it. It's just as fun today as it was back then.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: The last great 2D Mario game to come out on a console. I love it. It's just as fun today as it was back then.

I would agree, but then again I haven't played New Super Mario Brothers yet.

Posted by Desperado

Quoting Captain Cleanoff: The last great 2D Mario game to come out on a console. I love it. It's just as fun today as it was back then.

Are you for real? What about Yoshi's Island and Super Mario All Stars (best mario game eva)

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Desperado: Are you for real? What about Yoshi's Island and Super Mario All Stars (best mario game eva)

Yoshi's Island wasn't really a "Mario" game. I mean it was, but it was more Yoshi than Mario. So when he made that statement, I didn't include that game in my thought process.

Super Mario All Stars is a collection of games from the NES, games released in the past. It wasn't much of anything new. IMO I liked them on the NES better anyhow.

Quoting Desperado: Are you for real? What about Yoshi's Island and Super Mario All Stars (best mario game eva)

SMAS was a compilation of pre-existing games. Yoshi's Island was a Yoshi game, not a Mario game.

Quoting Proto Man: I would agree, but then again I haven't played New Super Mario Brothers yet.

That's a great game as well, but that's a handheld game. I was talking about home console only.