Slow Frame Rate

Posted by Alastor

Any time I try to play a video with a decent sized resolution, it always lags. The audio plays fine, though. The only videos that won't lag are around 360x240. My graphics card is a crap imbedded one, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I can't get a new one, either, because I don't have any AGP slots. Suggestions?

Posted by Trigger

Try and get a hold of a video card that can fit in a PCI slot. These aren't as great as a display card with AGP (or PCI-Express) but should do the trick and hopefully will be better than your on-board graphics. Otherwise, there isn't much you can do about frame rates, seeing as they're dependable entirely on how your graphics card can handle them. Perhaps it's time you upgrade to a new computer, or at least a new motherboard. At the very least, check the manufacturer's website to see if any drivers have been released that are newer than your current version - it may have performance increasements and other issues fixed.

Posted by Alastor

I've tried upgrading my driver in the past, but it turns out my graphics card isn't even supported by the manufacturer anymore. I'm hoping for the new computer option, since this one's pretty terrible all around.

Posted by Trigger

Yeah, manufacturer support is probably a tell-tale sign. ;)

Posted by Kanashuri

Is it a laptop? Then its probally the integrated graphics card

Posted by Alastor

Nope, desktop.

Posted by Kanashuri

Oh is it old?

Posted by Trigger

I think you should just stop, Kanashuri.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

So, this thing that you're talking about... is it a computer by any chance?

Posted by Alastor

Alright, well, this is weird. My video lag is only in a media player. I have no trouble whatsoever in Firefox. The problem was with anime for the most part, particularly the Tales of Phantasia OVA and the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. Managed to find the FMA movie on YouTube, and it runs perfectly normal. Something wrong here?

Posted by Kanashuri

Youtube it usually easier on the comp cuz its image is reduced when its turned into flash

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Kanashuri: Youtube it usually easier on the comp cuz its image is reduced when its turned into flash

You are very stupid.

Try turning off overlay in WMP, or using a better media player altogether - like VideoLAN.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: like VideoLAN.

a winrar is you. Which was what I was going to suggest.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

GET

MORE

RAM

Posted by Klarth

HIS MOTHERBOARD

ONLY SUPPORTS

UP TO 512

Posted by Trigger

And, as I said, get a new computer.

Anyway, I suggest Winamp as a media player alternative. Less resources and runs better than Windows Media Player.

Posted by Boner

Just to make this thread even more redundant than it already is.....

Get a new computer.

Everything else is just a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

Posted by Klarth

Like suicide!

Posted by Alastor

I use Winamp for all of my media already. Solution for me right now is just to avoid downloading anything and whoring YouTube instead. Birthday's coming up soon, and I'll be able to get a job afterwards, so I'm going to save up some money towards a new computer. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Posted by misogenie

Superfast: Polywell's Poly 939N4-SLI2/FX60 (Left) and ABS's Ultimate M6 Sniper II [IMG]http://images.pcworld.com/reviews/graphics/124760-2404p046-1b.jpg[/IMG]