Rape blame

Posted by Bebop

Ok can a girl be partially blamed for rape? Yes, but only through deliberetly placing herself in that sitatuion, so in other words if she choses to increase the chances of it happening by ignoring the measures to decrease or prevent it happening.

Heres an analogy. I buy a brand new convertivle Mercedes and drive it around a very rough area which i know has a high grand theft auto rate. So I park it in a very shady back alley and leave it unlocked with the keys inside. If I return later and its been stolen am I not partially responabile for my car being stolen?

However if I was driving the same car. Parked it anywhere and it got stolen I wouldnt be partially to blame. Its bad luck.

Now lets put this idea to females.

If a girl is walking home late and just gets raped shes not to partially blame I say. its bad luck.

But take this ACTUAL EXAMPLE OF A GIRL IN MY SCHOOL.

The woods near our school were off limits. Recently a man in a white van was seen approaching girls and a rape happened in these woods round about the same time. The warnings could not be made clearer and were practically drilled into every students heads. DON'T GO IN THE WOODS BY YOURSELF! RAPES HAPPEN THERE!

A girl walks through the woods by herself late one evening after school. It is winter and is dark. I wont tell you what happened to her, but in this circumstance where she has deliberetly gone against warnings and if she did get raped is she not to partially blame?

Saying girls cannot be partially blamed for rapes when they chose to ignore warnings is like saying drivers cant be partially blamed for killing themselves if they ignore the "DANGER BRIDGE OUT" signs.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The girl isnt any more to blame than the person would be for leaving their car there. Is it a bad idea? Yup. But just because they do it doesnt give you the right to rape/steal. The person still makes the choice to rape/steal, and hence the blame is theirs. Blaming the victim is completely retarded.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: The girl isnt any more to blame than the person would be for leaving their car there. Is it a bad idea? Yup. But just because they do it doesnt give you the right to rape/steal.

Its not a question about whether you can have the right, or less blame for raping someone, but whether a victim, whether rape or any other crime, can be responsible for the outcome. Ultimately the one who committed the crime or wrong doing with always have the most blame, and will have all the blame in the 99% of rape cases.

[quote]The person still makes the choice to rape/steal, and hence the blame is theirs. Blaming the victim is completely retarded.

If a man runs out into a minefield he is aware of, is he not to blame for dying? In your case the one to blame would be the one who layed the mines. Which is true because without those mines the man would have not been able to explode. However, and this is what I dont understand, why is ignoring warnings not a valid reason to have SOME blame?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Thats different. Mines dont choose to be stepped on. A person can just say "oh man she's hot. I need to go fap" He doesnt HAVE to rape her. A mine, however, will blow up. Thats what mines do.

Your argument is bs.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: Thats different. Mines dont choose to be stepped on. A person can just say "oh man she's hot. I need to go fap" He doesnt HAVE to rape her. A mine, however, will blow up. Thats what mines do.

Your argument is bs.

Right, he doesn have to rape her. Like he doesnt have to run into a mine field just because he know its there. Hows it bs?

[quote]Rape is a subject that you can't really just make conclusions based on scenarios, because each case if different.

Disagree. Becuase the only way I think a women can be partially blamed is in extreme conditions, I have to use scenarios. And its only in these extreme scenarios where I think it can work, like the mine field example and like the car example. In reality these scenarios are unlikely to occur but Im deomonstrating how unlikey a women would even receive partial blame. The only reason people cant understand that is because when someones say "yes but only in extremem condtions" they look at it as "yes a women has blame in every case".

Posted by mis0

No. If you stick it in her vagina without her consenting to you doing so, it's rape, you freakin' moron.

Posted by Bebop

What the hell are you talking about? When did I say its not?

Posted by mis0

You're saying it's her fault for having someone force this act upon her. No, it's not. A woman is just as free as a man to dress how she wishes, and go where she pleases, even if it is obviously not such a great idea. It doesn't matter. If she doesn't want to have sex, it is in no way her fault at all that some mother****er when and did so anyway.

You're a stupid, sexist peice of ****, because you suggest that women don't have an equal right to a) wear what they want or b) go where they want if they don't want to be blamed for rape. This would have been locked already if I was moderating.

GTFO.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bebop: Right, he doesn have to rape her. Like he doesnt have to run into a mine field just because he know its there. Hows it bs?

Wow, you cant even follow your own analogy. Woman=guy in minefeild. Rapist=mine. Both the girl and the minfeild guy took a risk. The difference is that if you step on a mine, it blows up, whereas showing some clevage isnt an invitation for a bit of the ol' in-out-in-out.

I wish I could sage this thread.:(

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=mis0viet]You're saying it's her fault for having someone force this act upon her.

Where have I said this?

[quote]No, it's not. A woman is just as free as a man to dress how she wishes, and go where she pleases, even if it is obviously not such a great idea. It doesn't matter. If she doesn't want to have sex, it is in no way her fault at all that some mother****er when and did so anyway.

Which I beleive. I beleive people should be allowed to have their rights, and walk where they want and so forth without fear of harm. However I think in som extreme conditions that it is possible for a victime to be partially resposnabile. That doesnt mean half the blame, that doesnt mean all the blame, or a third or a quatre. Its different with every case, as youve stated. 99% a victime in a rape would not have any blame.

[quote]You're a stupid, sexist peice of ****, because you suggest that women don't have an equal right to a) wear what they want or b) go where they want if they don't want to be blamed for rape.

I've got no real problem with what women wear and I havent said that if a women dresses down shes partial to being blames. And I do beleive women have equal right to go where they want. But Im saying if a women, or a man (because men get raped too) allows themself to get into ANY dangerous situation by chosing to ignore warnings and rules they have to be prepared for the worst.

Its the same if I trespass on a farmers land for whatever reason. If I chose to ignore warnings I have to be prepared to suffer what ever happen.

[quote=Spam]Wow, you cant even follow your own analogy. Woman=guy in minefeild. Rapist=mine. Both the girl and the minfeild guy took a risk. The difference is that if you step on a mine, it blows up, whereas showing some clevage isnt an invitation for a bit of the ol' in-out-in-out.

I wish I could sage this thread.

I'm not saying the women is the man, or the mine is the rapist you utter cretin. I'm saying there are both examples of where a victim can be blamed for chosing to ignore warnings. Where have i stated either that women showing clevage is an example where blame can be shared?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Your own logic doesnt work though. Suppose a female bartender has to work in a bad neighborhood, and needs to dress a little flirty to make money. Knowing the area sucks, she carries a switch and mace with her, but someone sneaks up on her on the way to her car. OH MAN SHE WAS ASKING FOR IT TEH DUMB WHORE.

Its retarded. Even if you ARE prepared, things can still go wrong. The bottom line is that the person who does the raping still makes a choice to rape, and it is therefore THAT PERSONS fault. No amount of "oh but the girl did this which helped" is going to ease that. Following your logic, the girls parents were to blame too. I mean, who the hell has a daughter? THATS JUST ASKING FOR YOUR KID TO GET RAPED AMIRITE?

I have seen bovine feces that contained less bull**** than bebops argument.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: Where have I said this?

Which I beleive. I beleive people should be allowed to have their rights, and walk where they want and so forth without fear of harm. However I think in som extreme conditions that it is possible for a victime to be partially resposnabile. That doesnt mean half the blame, that doesnt mean all the blame, or a third or a quatre. Its different with every case, as youve stated. 99% a victime in a rape would not have any blame.

I've got no real problem with what women wear and I havent said that if a women dresses down shes partial to being blames. And I do beleive women have equal right to go where they want. But Im saying if a women, or a man (because men get raped too) allows themself to get into ANY dangerous situation by chosing to ignore warnings and rules they have to be prepared for the worst.

Its the same if I trespass on a farmers land for whatever reason. If I chose to ignore warnings I have to be prepared to suffer what ever happen.

I'm not saying the women is the man, or the mine is the rapist you utter cretin. I'm saying there are both examples of where a victim can be blamed for chosing to ignore warnings. Where have i stated either that women showing clevage is an example where blame can be shared?
No rape victim is ever to blame for being forced into lewd sexual acts. Period. Your stupid analogies don't apply to rape. Yes, blah, tresspassing can get you shot. That's because it's illegal to tresspass. Dressing in a subjectively "provocative" manner is not. Idiot.

Now, GET THE FUCK OUT.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Lenin of Spam]Your own logic doesnt work though. Suppose a female bartender has to work in a bad neighborhood, and needs to dress a little flirty to make money. Knowing the area sucks, she carries a switch and mace with her, but someone sneaks up on her on the way to her car. OH MAN SHE WAS ASKING FOR IT TEH DUMB WHORE.

Disagree. This is a case where I do not think blame can be shared. Why is it you think I beleive every rape victim gets blame? Its case sensitive but ignoring of rule is the only generalisztion I can give wihtout typing out every possible rape secanrio ever.

[quote]Its retarded. Even if you ARE prepared, things can still go wrong.
No way. i would never have guessed.

[quote]The bottom line is that the person who does the raping still makes a choice to rape, and it is therefore THAT PERSONS fault. No amount of "oh but the girl did this which helped" is going to ease that. Following your logic, the girls parents were to blame too. I mean, who the hell has a daughter? THATS JUST ASKING FOR YOUR KID TO GET RAPED AMIRITE?

The actual rapist is more to blame than anyone. And you're clearly not following by logic. My logic is that in extreme circumstances a victim CAN BE to have SOME blame. My logic is not everyone is to blame. The only example I can think of where blame could be shared with the victime and rapist is the girl at my school example. Of course I've mentioned this before, just like when Ive mentioned it will ultimately be the rapists fault.

[quote]No rape victim is ever to blame for being forced into lewd sexual acts.
Disagree. But Ive already explained that I think it only applies on extreme circumstances. However despite how many times I repeat this your argument against is simply I DISAGREE. Oh snap.

[quote]Your stupid analogies don't apply to rape. yes, blah, tresspassing can get you shot. That's because it's illegal to tresspass.

Unfortunately its the only analaogies I can give at this time to back up my point.

[quote] Dressing in a subjectively "provocative" manner is not. Idiot.

I swear I asked you before you point out where I said women dressing down is enough reason for partial blame. Both you and Spam seem to think I've said this so I MUST HAVE right? Please point it out to me.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: Disagree. But Ive already explained that I think it only applies on extreme circumstances. However despite how many times I repeat this your argument against is simply I DISAGREE. Oh snap.
Go get raped and then disagree with me, you fuck. Oh, and then take maybe just one class on law and try to argue this from a legal standpoint. You'll quickly realise that you're a) wrong and b) insensitive.

[quote]Unfortunately its the only analaogies I can give at this time to back up my point.
There is nothing wrong with analogies, but they have to work, stupid. :cookie:

[quote]I swear I asked you before you point out where I said women dressing down is enough reason for partial blame. Both you and Spam seem to think I've said this so I MUST HAVE right? Please point it out to me.

No, you keep implying that this is why the victim is partially to blame. Your stupid argument is flawed; I mean, have you even read it? Moron.

And for the last time, get the hell out of here. We don't need anymore degenerate drivel from 14 year olds onthis site.

Posted by Xenos

Quoted post: A girl walks through the woods by herself late one evening after school. It is winter and is dark. I wont tell you what happened to her, but in this circumstance where she has deliberetly gone against warnings and if she did get raped is she not to partially blame?

Did she die by any chance?

Either way, the rape laws were always flawed. Recently, a friend of mines had sex with a girl in the library. Somehow, her mother found out and the little whore lied and said my friend had raped her. Despite of the lack of evidence, my chum was expelled from the school and because his father couldn't face him anymore, he ran away from home and no one has heard of him since. If the girl goes as far as the press charges, his life is ruined. Life sucks.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0viet]Go get raped and then disagree with me, you fuck. Oh, and then take maybe just one class on law and try to argue this from a legal standpoint. You'll quickly realise that you're a) wrong and b) insensitive.

No. I dont want to get raped. Quite frankly. And neither does any girl.

I took law once. Only becuase I had to take another subject. It seemed cool at the time but wasnt a career choice I was interested in. In any case Im not going to study it so I can know what I beleive.

[quote]There is nothing wrong with analogies, but they have to work, stupid. :cookie:

Seeing as I beleive it only applies in extreme condtions I have to use a broad analogy. Besides, I thought the one of the girl in the forest was a good analogy of where it can be applied?

[quote]No, you keep implying that this is why the victim is partially to blame. Your stupid argument is flawed:

Where have I said this? The only way I've implyed a female is to blame, is when I clearly said only if they ignore warnings.

[quote]And for the last time, get the hell out of here. We don't need anymore degenerate drivel from 14 year olds onthis site.

I should get out because someone doesnt agree with me? That hurt :chainsaw:

Posted by Lord of Spam

Which has NOTHING to do with the idiocy bebop is spewing.

Granted, the rape laws ARE tilted rediculously towards women. Its pretty much the only thing in america where you are ALWAYS guilty until proven innocent.

edit: ninjas!

And bebop, there arent and "signs" of rape other than f a guy comes up to you and says "i'm going to rape you." Just being in a "bad area" doesnt mean that you will get raped; there has to be a PERSON there to MAKE THE CHOICE to RAPE. Your argument is still retarded.

Posted by Iris

Rape can happen anywhere, and not many precautions are going to actually help some one. I'm pretty sure a woman in a tube top isn't much more likely to be raped than a woman in a parka. As for being aware of the chances of being raped, there's not many resources that can be used besides searching through the newspaper or internet for rapists/rape locations, which would be a large waste of time if it's not somewhere you frequently visit.

The only circumstance I can think of in which the victim is partially at fault is if he or she leads a rapist on.

Rather than arguing, why don't we all carry mace? :)

Posted by mis0

Warnings are not legal barriers to doing something. If it were illegal for her to go in the forest, then she would be partially to blame. But because she legally had the right to be there, she shouldn't be responsible for anything.

Obviously you didn't learn much in law. Implications are everything, and by implying that although she commited no crime, she was technically to blame, that is a very slippery legal slope. If you can't just accept the fact that you're totally wrong, well, you're even more of an idiot than I first thought.

Edit: ninja'd.

Let's take it even further, and all carry automatic small arms, Iris. :)

Posted by Bebop

Actually there is some what a resource availble to women for rape.

Its like a big condom that they put inside which clamps down onto a penis with metal like teeth. its true! Ill try to find the site.

[quote] Warnings are not legal barriers to doing something. If it were illegal for her to go in the forest, then she would be partially to blame. But because she legally had the right to be there, she shouldn't be responsible for anything.

However anyone who received there types of warnings and the amount of them should be intelligent enough to understand them.
What I dont get is how you say it can never be a victims fault UNLESS they break the law? Explain please

[quote]Obviously you didn't learn much in law. Implications are everything, and by implying that although she commited no crime, she was technically to blame, that is a very slippery legal slope. If you can't just accept the fact that you're totally wrong, well, you're even more of an idiot than I first thought.

I didnt learn much. I was there for a week or so. Hardly enough time to learn about British law or how British court cases operate. However slippery this slope may be I think its possible a lawyer has been able to argee my point about being partially balmed as is a lawyer more than likely to do the same for your point. Every rape case is different, as are its court cases including the judges and lawyers. So you cant simply say "your reason is wrong because it wouldnt be able to hold its on in a court room".

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: Actually there is some what a resource availble to women for rape.

Its like a big condom that they put inside which clamps down onto a penis with metal like teeth. its true! Ill try to find the site.

FUCK YOU. Now, you're suggesting that it would be my fault for being raped if I didn't wear some freakish monstrosity? What in the Hell is wrong with your sick, diluded ***?

I'd rather just carry a gun. I mean, at least I could dispatch rapists and idiots with it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wow, are you actually suggesting that women are going to be open to taking some blame if they dont carry bear traps in their vaginas? ARE YOU EVEN READING THE BS YOU'RE POSTING?

Posted by Iris

As hilarious as that sounds, it may not be very effective. A lot of times rape isn't vaginal, and buying a product to prevent it from happening is silly. Not only may it not be available to everyone, but more issues may arise from doing such.

Remember the story about the crook who broke into some one's garage and was locked in? He had to eat dog food and such to keep him from starving to death because he couldn't get out. The owners of the garage were fined and the thief didn't have to do serve time or anything. Now, let's say the thief and garage are male and female genitals. :(

Edit: Stop posting so fast! :mad:

Posted by mis0

Quoting Iris: As hilarious as that sounds, it may not be very effective. A lot of times rape isn't vaginal, and buying a product to prevent it from happening is silly. Not only may it not be available to everyone, but more issues may arise from doing such.

Remember the story about the crook who broke into some one's garage and was locked in? He had to eat dog food and such to keep him from starving to death because he couldn't get out. The owners of the garage were fined and the thief didn't have to do serve time or anything. Now, let's say the thief and garage are male and female genitals. :(

Edit: Stop posting so fast! :mad:

That was actually funny the way you said it, and I guess technically the user of said device could be held responsible, because in cases of self defence, usually you have to warn the perp before taking action (as stupid as that can be) or it may be considered to be a crime on your account.

Posted by Lord of Spam

HEY WATCH OUT THERES A BEAR TRAP IN MY VAGINA

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0viet: No, I'm not. You're the most sexist peice of **** on this site.

You are crazy. Absolutly crazy. All I did was mention an anti-rape device that I was reminded of by something Iris said and you go on some feminist assualt, or something, saying I think women should wear these. You are crazy.

[quote=Iris]
Iris As hilarious as that sounds, it may not be very effective. A lot of times rape isn't vaginal, and buying a product to prevent it from happening is silly. Not only may it not be available to everyone, but more issues may arise from doing such.

I didnt beleive it at first. I saw a topic of it at 4chan so was instnantly suspicious.

However I checked out the site and the women who created it seemed to tackle the device from every angle such as it attaching to women's flesh or hard to remove. As far as availabilty is concerned she said negotations for large distributation are underway.

[quote]Remember the story about the crook who broke into some one's garage and was locked in? He had to eat dog food and such to keep him from starving to death because he couldn't get out. The owners of the garage were fined and the thief didn't have to do serve time or anything. Now, let's say the thief and garage are male and female genitals.

Yeh I dont agree with that. And they are alot of cases like that. All I can say is the theif must have had some amazing lawyer.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: You are crazy. Absolutly crazy. All I did was mention an anti-rape device that I was reminded of by something Iris said and you go on some feminist assualt, or something, saying I think women should wear these. You are crazy.

It's all about what you imply, moron. Don't think that copying your brother will work, because it won't. And you're lying through your teeth if you think that by posting that, you weren't implying that women should have to utilize such devices for a rape to not partially become their fault, because that's what you've been arguing in this thread.

I'm not crazy at all. I just argue and win.

Posted by Speedfreak

I must say, miscocksony is doing a fantastic job of pretending to be an oversensitive feminazi. Good show, old chap.

Women getting raped after not thinking about defending themselves (through avoiding conflict) are just as much to blame as a man dying in a car crash after being hit by a drunk driver because he decided not to wear his seat belt that day.

Blame is different to responsibility. If a woman were to walk home by herself late at night through dark alleys then that is her decision to put herself at a massive risk. Whether she gets raped or not is ultimately down to the rapist, just as the man's death in the car crash is ultimately down to the person deciding to drive over the limit, but they both take on some responsibility when they decide to be fucking idiots. This isn't sexist, this is common sense. Thinking otherwise is completely naive.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0viet: It's all about what you imply, moron. Don't think that copying your brother will work, because it won't. And you're lying through your teeth if you think that by posting that, you weren't implying that women should have to utilize such devices for a rape to not partially become their fault, because that's what you've been arguing in this thread.

I'm not crazy at all. I just argue and win.

What the hell? I only posted that commented about the device because Iris reminded me of it. How is that implying I think women SHOULD wear them? Hell, I'm going to stick one up my arse if I go to prison.

I encourgae a women to take some precaution against rape, whether it be mase or an alarm, just like I enncoruage drivers to lock there cars.

If a women does not have any form of protecting then ok. But I dont think its qualifies as some blame. I'll say it one last time.

Regardless of your sex, how you dress, how old you are, what you are carrying or how you look if you put yourself in a possible dangerous situation AFTER ignoring your own intellignce based on warnings, advice and generall common sense it is possibly for you to receive SOME blame whether that be mugging, murder, theft, insult, assult, flashing or rape.

Posted by mis0

Blame isn't different than responsibility. If people are free, then it is ultimately the rapist who is both responsibile and to blame for any rape. You know why? because, say you were near an occring rape, but you didn't help stop it. That slippery slope of placing the blame on the victim, not the perp, could also allow the blame to be placed on you.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Once again, though, they never jumped up and down and said RAPE ME RAPE ME . People have a legal resonable expectation of safety, no matter where they are. Just because an area is "bad" doesnt mean that she somehow gains part of the blame. Should she have taken a different route to reduce risk? Yes. Does that mean that she somehow CHOSE to be raped? No. It means that she increased the risk. That being said, however, she still didnt cause it. The person who raped her caused it. He made the choice to do it, and hence it is his fault, and his fault alone.

I'll say this again. If you're going to open up blame to everyone who contributed, then the property owner is to blame for not lighting the area well and supervising it. The government is to blame for not providing adeqyate police presence, etc etc. You cant try that sort of idiocy, becuase its... well, idiotic. the simple fact is that someone decided to rape someone else, and they get the blame.

Posted by Bebop

[quote] Blame isn't different than responsibility. If people are free, then it is ultimately the rapist who is both responsibile and to blame for any rape. You know why? because, say you were near an occring rape, but you didn't help stop it. That slippery slope of placing the blame on the victim, not the perp, could also allow the blame to be placed on you.

Well I guess so, if you chose not to stop it. Just like if a dying person needs you to phone an ambulance and you chose not to, you would still be responsible to some degree for their death not matter what the circumstances that lead up to that persons condition were.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: Once again, though, they never jumped up and down and said RAPE ME RAPE ME . People have a legal resonable expectation of safety, no matter where they are. Just because an area is "bad" doesnt mean that she somehow gains part of the blame. Should she have taken a different route to reduce risk? Yes. Does that mean that she somehow CHOSE to be raped? No. It means that she increased the risk. That being said, however, she still didnt cause it. The person who raped her caused it. He made the choice to do it, and hence it is his fault, and his fault alone.

I swear I said in my earlier posts that chosing to increase risk is where partial blame can be introduced. Do you know whats really stupid about the girl in the woods example? Theres a road next to it, with house, speed cameras and street lamps including passing cars. She just wanted to get to the station 5 minutes earlier.

[quote]I'll say this again. If you're going to open up blame to everyone who contributed, then the property owner is to blame for not lighting the area well and supervising it. The government is to blame for not providing adeqyate police presence, etc etc. You cant try that sort of idiocy, becuase its... well, idiotic. the simple fact is that someone decided to rape someone else, and they get the blame.

Its a good thing I clearly stated my logic isnt blaming everyone or trying to blame as many people as possible.

Posted by mis0

You're really good at comparing apples to oranges.

So, grandma can't stop burly lumberjack from raping innocent pre-teen girl, so it's grandma's fault?

Posted by Lord of Spam

"I swear I said in my earlier posts that chosing to increase risk is where partial blame can be introduced."

In that case, if you're sitting at a stop light in your car, seat belts buckled, following all traffic laws etc, and someone in a truck rear ends you at 100mph and kills you, it was partially your fault. I mean, you should have KNOWN that driving was risky, so OBVIOUSLY you're to blame (partially).

You can talk about how the girl increases her risk all you want, but the fact remains that the person who does the raping is still the person who makes the choice. The girl just chooses her location. its the person raping that chooses to break the law.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0viet: You're really good at comparing apples to oranges.

They are both round, high in vitamins, brighly coloured juciy fruits.

[quote]So, grandma can't stop burly lumberjack from raping innocent pre-teen girl, so it's grandma's fault?

No. Thats an example of when its not. What if the burly lumperjakc refused to stop grandpa raping innocent boy? Is it not partially the lumberjacks fault the rpae occurred because it was in his power to stop it but refused to?

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF AN EXTREMEM CONSTION WHICH I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO HAMMER INTO YOU!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

[quote=Spam]"I swear I said in my earlier posts that chosing to increase risk is where partial blame can be introduced."

In that case, if you're sitting at a stop light in your car, seat belts buckled, following all traffic laws etc, and someone in a truck rear ends you at 100mph and kills you, it was partially your fault. I mean, you should have KNOWN that driving was risky, so OBVIOUSLY you're to blame (partially).
Well thats a tricky one. Although driving can be dangerous apparntly in this example I had taken lots of precautions to protect my safety and it was just my bad luck I died. So in this case Im not partially to blame.
However if I had no seat belt on or anything and the truck still hit me I could still have no partial blame. If I would have died with protection than not having it would make no differance.

[quote]You can talk about how the girl increases her risk all you want, but the fact remains that the person who does the raping is still the person who makes the choice. The girl just chooses her location. its the person raping that chooses to break the law.

I havent argued against thi fact. I have stated many times that the fate of the crime is enteriely on the rapists hands and ultimately the blame will rest with him, EXPCET IN THE RARE EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE IT CAN BE SOMEWHAT SHARED.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=mis0viet]Blame isn't different than responsibility. If people are free, then it is ultimately the rapist who is both responsibile and to blame for any rape.

Yes, you are exactly right. Well, except for one small thing.

THAT ONLY APPLIES IN AN IDEAL WORLD.

Wake up! Life isn't like that! Our reasonable expectation of how safe we should be is absolutely nowhere near what it's really like! There are killers, muggers, con artists, rapists, thugs, gangsters and theives all over this filthy planet. If you don't wake up to the fact that not everything is going to be peaches and cream all your life then you are partially responsible for anything bad that happens purely because of your naivety.

It's not nice, it's not fair, it's certainly not safe. Accepting the fact that you are responsible for your own well-being is completely different to accepting to being partially responsible for your rape in a court of law. I'd be willing to bet that Bebop is trying to stress the former and you're just misunderstanding.

If you really do think that you shouldn't ever worry about yourself because any harm that comes to you is absolutely not your fault, then I fear you have a heck of a lot of growing up to do.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Well thats a tricky one. Although driving can be dangerous apparntly in this example I had taken lots of precautions to protect my safety and it was just my bad luck I died. So in this case Im not partially to blame.
However if I had no seat belt on or anything and the truck still hit me I could still have no partial blame. If I would have died with protection than not having it would make no differance.

The point was that if you step out of your door, you take risks. That doesnt always mean that you are to blame for them.

I havent argued against thi fact. I have stated many times that the fate of the crime is enteriely on the rapists hands and ultimately the blame will rest with him, EXPCET IN THE RARE EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE IT CAN BE SOMEWHAT SHARED.

Do you realize that you bascially jsut said "I agree except that I disagree"? Face it, the girl didnt contribute to the rape in any significant sense. All she did was walk by. Its the person who did the raping that deserves the blame.

"It's not nice, it's not fair, it's certainly not safe. Accepting the fact that you are responsible for your own well-being is completely different to accepting to being partially responsible for your rape in a court of law. I'd be willing to bet that Bebop is trying to stress the former and you're just misunderstanding. "

In that case, if you're always to blame for anything that you dont forsee. Get jumped by 50 guys? Why werent you expecting that? TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY LOL. If you say that someone is taking a risk, thats one thing, but saying that its their fault is going too far.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Lenin of Spam]
The point was that if you step out of your door, you take risks. That doesnt always mean that you are to blame for them.

Yes I know. Whats your point?

[quote]Do you realize that you bascially jsut said "I agree except that I disagree"? Face it, the girl didnt contribute to the rape in any significant sense. All she did was walk by. Its the person who did the raping that deserves the blame.

How have I said that? And my point is she did contrbuite to it when she could have not done. Point is she effectveily chose to contribuite to it.

By ignoring warnings she raised the chance of being raped right? Correct. This is my point. If you CHOSE to raise risks against your own well being than some of that outcome has the possibility of being yours.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Speedfreak: Yes, you are exactly right. Well, except for one small thing.

THAT ONLY APPLIES IN AN IDEAL WORLD.

Wake up! Life isn't like that! Our reasonable expectation of how safe we should be is absolutely nowhere near what it's really like! There are killers, muggers, con artists, rapists, thugs, gangsters and theives all over this filthy planet. If you don't wake up to the fact that not everything is going to be peaches and cream all your life then you are partially responsible for anything bad that happens purely because of your naivety.

It's not nice, it's not fair, it's certainly not safe. Accepting the fact that you are responsible for your own well-being is completely different to accepting to being partially responsible for your rape in a court of law. I'd be willing to bet that Bebop is trying to stress the former and you're just misunderstanding.

If you really do think that you shouldn't ever worry about yourself because any harm that comes to you is absolutely not your fault, then I fear you have a heck of a lot of growing up to do.

Obviously, I, nor do most people in the world take extreme risk. However, even if I did, it doesn't mean that I'm to blame because of the actions of another person.

I mean, the fact that I'm alive, and thusly was raped, doesn't make it my fault. You're saying the kind of risk I'm taking is more like speeding - where I'm doing something that is illegal because of the risk associated with it and the end result of my speeding is a wreck, which the blame can be squarely pinned upon me. Walking around town at night isn't illegal (in most places) and even if there is a risk of rape/mugging, et cetera, it doesn't mean I'm to blame for a crime which is comitted against me. Why? Because I legally have the freedom to do walk around at night.

Posted by Bebop

mis0viet, you never answered my question. Where you said if a girl broke the law to allow herself to get raped its partially her fault, yet if she didnt break the law its not.

I want to know why, after all this, youll admit blame can somewhat be shared BUT ONLY if the victime break the law.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: mis0viet, you never answered my question. Where you said if a girl broke the law to allow herself to get raped its partially her fault, yet if she didnt break the law its not.

I want to know why, after all this, youll admit blame can somewhat be shared BUT ONLY if the victime break the law.

No, even if someone breaks a law it doesn't necessarily place them at fault. A person doesn't allow themselves to be raped, retard. Because allowing a sexual act to take place is consent, and thusly, not rape. You can't say it's a persons fault for not fighting off their assailent for a number of reasons, including disability, the element of surprise, and so on.

In fact, I don't admit that it can be the victims fault at all because they're the victim.

Posted by Iris

Perfect example: Some guy gets hammered for 9 hours in a bar. Bartender keeps serving up drinks. The bartender closes the bar and asks the drunk to leave. The drunk tries driving home and dies in a car crash. Now, is it not partially the bartender's fault that he died? He let him drive home drunk rather than calling him a cab.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0viet: No, even if someone breaks a law it doesn't necessarily place them at fault. A person doesn't allow themselves to be raped, retard. Because allowing a sexual act to take place is consent, and thusly, not rape. You can't say it's a persons fault for not fighting off their assailent for a number of reasons, including disability, the element of surprise, and so on.

In fact, I don't admit that it can be the victims fault at all because they're the victim.

How can I try to debate with someone when they keep putting words in my mouth.

I never said I dont know what a rape is nor did I define it as anything other than it is
I never said people ALLOW themselves to be raped, just some people chose to increase that chance
I never said its a persons fault for not fighting off their assilant. I have never addressed this becasue this is not where I think blame can come in. I have stated I think blames comes from before the situation, not during or after.

Stop making up things, claiming I said them and aruging against them. Seriously, I might just rape you out of spite.

[quote=Iris]Perfect example: Some guy gets hammered for 9 hours in a bar. Bartender keeps serving up drinks. The bartender closes the bar and asks the drunk to leave. The drunk tries driving home and dies in a car crash. Now, is it not partially the bartender's fault that he died? He let him drive home drunk rather than calling him a cab.

Yes. Becuase the law states (in Britain at least) that you cannot sell alchohol to an intoxiacted person. And you cant argue the bartender would have not been capable of seeing the guy was drunk. However it is moslty the drivers fault.

Posted by mis0

[QUOTE=Bebop]How can I try to debate with someone when they keep putting words in my mouth.

I never said I dont know what a rape is nor did I define it as anything other than it is
I never said people ALLOW themselves to be raped, just some people chose to increase that chance
I never said its a persons fault for not fighting off their assilant. I have never addressed this becasue this is not where I think blame can come in. I have stated I think blames comes from before the situation, not during or after.

Stop making up things, claiming I said them and aruging against them.
You're implying all of these factors by making such broad (and stupid) arguments, idiot. It's what you've failed to define that is biting you in the ***, and it's entirely your fault. You're right about not being able to debate, but it's because you don't know how, not because I'm making things up.

That's why I mentioned legalities, and why I encouraged you to study up on them. US law is based more on what is unwritten yet implied, rather than what is written. Why? Because crime usually falls into a grey area, it's not black and white. They argue the implications of laws to determine who gets to blame and who was responsible, and then sentence them. It works this way in pretty much every other civilized nation, too.

[quote]Seriously, I might just rape you out of spite. Enjoy a few years in prison and a gunshot wound to the face. :)

Posted by Iris

[quote]US law is based more on what is unwritten yet implied, rather than what is written. Why? Because crime usually falls into a grey area, it's not black and white.
I believe that kind of applies to what Bebop was trying to say. It's not against the law to go into the woods but it's implied that you shouldn't go in there, since you risk putting yourself in danger of rape/theft/murder/etc...

Posted by Slade

"!=" is different than "=" I forgot how, but it is.

Basically you are doing the "no, it's not all black and white, but a lot of grey area" thing. Instead of just saying "It's the rapists' fault no matter what for committing the act(which is LoS' stance- and mine)," you are saying, "well, there are CERTAIN EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES that merit the blame be shared between the perp and the victim."

So I will say; It's always the rapists fault for committing the act," and kindly ask that you show me these extreme circumstances. Because if you don't give me exact circumstances to think about, then we could each have a different idea of the extremes and might as well be debating two different things.

I use debating because what you're doing with LoS and mis0 is arguing. Let's debate.

Posted by Arwon

OK, so you guys are all arguing as though the correlations with rape occurrences are causes of rape. Have any of you offered any evidence that how a girl dresses and where she goes changes her likelihood of being raped to any great extent? You're all acting like "girl walking alone in the woods" is THE ONLY TYPE OF RAPE.

Let's say this very clearly: The vast majority of rape occurs where people already know the victim. Date rape, spousal rape, rape by various responsible "elders" and such. Bebop's fantasy of a silly little slut wandering through a bad neighbourhood and being grabbed from the bushes is not a representation of rape as a whole. Statistically, this girl is probably actually SAFER walking home through a bad suburb than she is on a date with a coworker or out having a night on the town. She might well be safer walking that taking a taxi.

Secondly, there's a multitude of rape risk factors, of which "being in a bad place" is just one. Being female is a risk factor. Being native American or aboriginal Australian is a risk factor. Drinking is a risk factor. Being young is a risk factor. Being around men is a risk factor. Living in certain suburbs is a risk factor. Blaming people for putting themselves "at risk" is absurd and ignores the fact that you can't help most of these risk factors, the risk factors a person can control are far outweighed by the ones they can't.

Bebop's assertions of controllable risk fall down UTTERLY in the face of the fact that a girl is more likely to be raped elsewhere, despite precautions, even if she never puts herself in a supposedly "extreme" situation. He can't even prove that these stereotypical "extreme situations" ARE A GREATER SOURCE OF RISK.

And even then, since these controllable risk-factors are just one aspect of risk of rape, and they're not the biggest one, I can't see how you could possibly pin blame on a victim in this manner, short of lecturing them for going out or living in certain neighbourhoods at all. Misoxeny's right, this is tantamount to insisting that women can't be equal, can't enjoy themselves, and do all the things men do. This is, essentially, expecting women to hide and be fearful instead of, you know, BLAMING THE RAPIST.

Random anonymous rape attacks are simply not the primary type of rape, and focussing on them in a discussion of rape is disingenious and undermines attempts to stamp out the "blame the victim" mentality that still exists. What's the point of arguing that these marginal controllable changes in risk factors are significant? Why the focus on imaginary "extreme scenarios"? What is the motivation for arguing this line? That's what I'd like to know from Bebop.

The problem with saying "yeah, maybe they've increased their risks and maybe that makes them to blame" is that this attitude does real and verifyable damage to rape victims. First and foremost, you're taking someone who's just been through one of the most horrendous experiences possible, and adding to their humiliation and loss of power and control by telling them that they bought it on themselves. These fussy distinctions between "legal responsibility" and "blame" are meaningless... you're telling rape victims they bought it on themselves.

I'm not sure if Bebop and others are fully aware of the extent to which blaming the victim can and DOES occur, and how detrimental this is to justice, let alone the psychology of the victim. Your average rape trial is a harrowing experience that essentially a cross-examination of the victim's character. Things such as "being drunk" or "dressing slutty" CAN BE, AND ARE, used as defences to lessen the responsibility of rapists. This isn't just an idle theoretical exercise, these attitudes and the stigmas attached to them can and do help rapists beat the system. Sure, this sort of cross-examination might be *technically* disallowed in some places, but this is still basically how trials go. Several thousand years worth of racial memory and prejudice and stereotype are hard to break, after all. We've been saying rape victims bought it on themselves for as long as we've been civilised enough to know better.

And that's what this boils down to. Old, old attitudes that need to be stamped out in a civilised society that pays anything more than lip-service to sexual equality. Bebop may not be intending to, but he's expressing an old attitude that very much enables these sorts of things to go on. He's expressing the residual effects of several thousand years' worth of mysogynist, woman-blaming attitudes to rape. And that's not good.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Sladestika: "!=" is different than "=" I forgot how, but it is.

Basically you are doing the "no, it's not all black and white, but a lot of grey area" thing. Instead of just saying "It's the rapists' fault no matter what for committing the act(which is LoS' stance- and mine)," you are saying, "well, there are CERTAIN EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES that merit the blame be shared between the perp and the victim."

So I will say; It's always the rapists fault for committing the act," and kindly ask that you show me these extreme circumstances. Because if you don't give me exact circumstances to think about, then we could each have a different idea of the extremes and might as well be debating two different things.

I use debating because what you're doing with LoS and mis0 is arguing. Let's debate.

I have. Go look earlier in the thread.

But basically no-ne except the rapist will know when a rape would occur right? I dont know. You dont know. The victim doesnt know. The victims dad doesnt know. The rapsists dad doesnt know either.

But what if a women knew she could drastically increase the chances of her being raped through her chose of stupidity? Whats the chance of a women chosing to be raped? Nil of course. I know this and so do you. Im not saying women chose to be raped like misOviet is accusing me of. But this doesnt apply just to rapes.

I'm saying there are some circumstances where a rape can be avoided. I dont mean if a women gets in a taxi, or goes on a date or whatever. Becuase it can happen in any circumstance and at anytime with only on person aware of when it would occur. But the sharing blame idea isnt fixed on different scenarios. I think the blame can be shared before the event occurs (and for some reason people think shared meand 50% or the victim gets it all)not during it like say she couldnt fend him of, or after like she didnt go to the police. I think blame can be shared if a women knows what could happend, can avoid it happening but still ignores being safe over increasing risk for whatever purpose. Heres an extreme example. Lets say whatever I tell you now is what the women will know also to avoid confusion

The newspaper report that Man A has been let out of prison. He is a seriel rapist. Women knows who is is, what he looks like, what he has done etc
Man A raped womens friend.
Womens friend is angry and upset and his release.
Women and friend join protests outside of his house.
A day later women bumps into Man A. He asks her out. She argrees.
Women's friend tries to persaude her not to go and refers her to a passage in a newspaper which reads: "Man A, "I love raping and I'm going to do it again. Yahoo!"
Women goes to Man A's house anyway. Not carrying tazer, knife, gun or any form of additional defense despite knowing shes going to a rapists house whou said publically he loves raping and would do it again.
Man A rapes her.

Surely in this case of complete and uttery unbelievable amounts of stupidity, and neglience of all warnings and common sense her constant choice to go means she gets some blame?

Arown, like mosOviet your putting words in my mouth by impling that I said how drunk a women is or how she dresses is what gives her blame. I couldnt make it clearer otherwise. And im not talking about rapes that occur from a person the victim knows. Becuase I dont put that in an extreme condtion and thus dont think shed get any part of the blame. My belif and view of extreme circumstances doesnt apply to rape alone but any form of crime of injury or anything. I dont think every time the criminal would get 99.9999% of the blame. Im not sexist or anti-women or implying women should not have equal rights. if you feel this way Im sorry. I couldnt make it any clearer.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: "!=" is different than "=" I forgot how, but it is.

!= is "does not equal". The difference is the fact that it's the exact opposite.

Thought I'd throw that out there.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Arwon]OK, so you guys are all arguing as though the correlations with rape occurrences are causes of rape. Have any of you offered any evidence that how a girl dresses and where she goes changes her likelihood of being raped to any great extent? You're all acting like "girl walking alone in the woods" is THE ONLY TYPE OF RAPE.

Let's say this very clearly: The vast majority of rape occurs where people already know the victim. Date rape, spousal rape, rape by various responsible "elders" and such. Bebop's fantasy of a silly little slut wandering through a bad neighbourhood and being grabbed from the bushes is not a representation of rape as a whole. Statistically, this girl is probably actually SAFER walking home through a bad suburb than she is on a date with a coworker or out having a night on the town. She might well be safer walking that taking a taxi.

Secondly, there's a multitude of rape risk factors, of which "being in a bad place" is just one. Being female is a risk factor. Being native American or aboriginal Australian is a risk factor. Drinking is a risk factor. Being young is a risk factor. Being around men is a risk factor. Living in certain suburbs is a risk factor. Blaming people for putting themselves "at risk" is absurd and ignores the fact that you can't help most of these risk factors, the risk factors a person can control are far outweighed by the ones they can't.

Bebop's assertions of controllable risk fall down UTTERLY in the face of the fact that a girl is more likely to be raped elsewhere, despite precautions, even if she never puts herself in a supposedly "extreme" situation. He can't even prove that these stereotypical "extreme situations" ARE A GREATER SOURCE OF RISK.

And even then, since these controllable risk-factors are just one aspect of risk of rape, and they're not the biggest one, I can't see how you could possibly pin blame on a victim in this manner, short of lecturing them for going out or living in certain neighbourhoods at all. Misoxeny's right, this is tantamount to insisting that women can't be equal, can't enjoy themselves, and do all the things men do. This is, essentially, expecting women to hide and be fearful instead of, you know, BLAMING THE RAPIST.

Random anonymous rape attacks are simply not the primary type of rape, and focussing on them in a discussion of rape is disingenious and undermines attempts to stamp out the "blame the victim" mentality that still exists. What's the point of arguing that these marginal controllable changes in risk factors are significant? Why the focus on imaginary "extreme scenarios"? What is the motivation for arguing this line? That's what I'd like to know from Bebop.

The problem with saying "yeah, maybe they've increased their risks and maybe that makes them to blame" is that this attitude does real and verifyable damage to rape victims. First and foremost, you're taking someone who's just been through one of the most horrendous experiences possible, and adding to their humiliation and loss of power and control by telling them that they bought it on themselves. These fussy distinctions between "legal responsibility" and "blame" are meaningless... you're telling rape victims they bought it on themselves.

I'm not sure if Bebop and others are fully aware of the extent to which blaming the victim can and DOES occur, and how detrimental this is to justice, let alone the psychology of the victim. Your average rape trial is a harrowing experience that essentially a cross-examination of the victim's character. Things such as "being drunk" or "dressing slutty" CAN BE, AND ARE, used as defences to lessen the responsibility of rapists. This isn't just an idle theoretical exercise, these attitudes and the stigmas attached to them can and do help rapists beat the system. Sure, this sort of cross-examination might be *technically* disallowed in some places, but this is still basically how trials go. Several thousand years worth of racial memory and prejudice and stereotype are hard to break, after all. We've been saying rape victims bought it on themselves for as long as we've been civilised enough to know better.

And that's what this boils down to. Old, old attitudes that need to be stamped out in a civilised society that pays anything more than lip-service to sexual equality. Bebop may not be intending to, but he's expressing an old attitude that very much enables these sorts of things to go on. He's expressing the residual effects of several thousand years' worth of mysogynist, woman-blaming attitudes to rape. And that's not good.

Correct, however irrelevent.

Bebop asked if a girl could ever be blamed for rape, he's not stating that most rape comes under the circumstances where the woman could shoulder some responsibility. In fact, I don't think anyone here ever implied that the most common form of rape is by a stranger in the dead of the night.

Posted by Bebop

Im arguing that in some cirucmstances a victim of an event can be somewhat responsible/blamed for the events outcome inclduing rape.

Everyoen else seems to be saying the same, as with all the examples, excpet saying rape doesnt apply. Why?

If I can give the most extreme example of when blame could clearly be shared, and you agree with the example than you are agreeing with me.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Iris: Perfect example: Some guy gets hammered for 9 hours in a bar. Bartender keeps serving up drinks. The bartender closes the bar and asks the drunk to leave. The drunk tries driving home and dies in a car crash. Now, is it not partially the bartender's fault that he died? He let him drive home drunk rather than calling him a cab.

Legally, he can be held responsible. That being said, I dont think he should. Once again, its pesonal reponsibility. The person who made the guy drive is the guy who drove. Trying to put it anywhere else is just avoiding taking responsibility for your own actions.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: Legally, he can be held responsible. That being said, I dont think he should. Once again, its pesonal reponsibility. The person who made the guy drive is the guy who drove. Trying to put it anywhere else is just avoiding taking responsibility for your own actions.

Unless the bartender KNEW he was driving home. Knowledge is where blame/responsability come in. Thatd what accessory to murder is right?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Again, legally, yes, he's responsible. At that point he should have tried to stop the guy, but it still really isnt his fault. And even if I said "yeah he's to blame" you cant really use this as a corrolary to rape, since walking in a dark area doesnt mean that you're going to get raped. Hell, I've been wandering around downtown at night numerous times, and I've yet to be violated.

Your arguments dont work, as numerous people have pointed out, Stop trying.

Posted by Bebop

I wasnt the one who came up with the example you know? I never used it as an analogy to rape. i simply answered it. I didnt even get who the rapist was represented by.

As far as dark areas are concerned, since this seems to be ther ape example used, it depends on whether someone knew a rapist was in there. Idiot.

And for ***s sake stop making up crap. I never said walking around dark areas means your going to get raped or thats where rapists hang out. It origintaed from a simple example I gave. Man please dont have kids. If you do grab their ankles and smack their heads over desks to give them a happy life.

Posted by Lord of Spam

A GIRL AT MY SCHOOL WENT TO AN AREA WHERE SOMEONE ELSE GOT RAPED MAN SHE SO DESERVED IT LOL

You dont ever KNOW where a rapist is until you're being raped. Anyone can rape anyone else. And as arwon said, the people most likely to rape are people you know. So once again, by your idiotic logic, if you associate with people you know and get raped, its your own fault, since you KNEW that you're more likely to get raped by them but hung out with them anyway.

Face it, your argument is bs.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: A GIRL AT MY SCHOOL WENT TO AN AREA WHERE SOMEONE ELSE GOT RAPED MAN SHE SO DESERVED IT LOL

I guess thats supposed to be me. Its hard to tell because I clearly didnt say that.

[quote]You dont ever KNOW where a rapist is until you're being raped. Anyone can rape anyone else.

Wow. I swaer I said that.

[quote]And as arwon said, the people most likely to rape are people you know.

Irrelevant.

[quote]So once again, by your idiotic logic, if you associate with people you know and get raped, its your own fault, since you KNEW that you're more likely to get raped by them but hung out with them anyway.

I didnt say that. I never said if you know someone who then rapes you its your fault. However I did say if you chose to hang out by yourself with a guy who is a publicly known rape lover, who raped your friends, and this friend advised you not to go, and you did get raped you are PARTIALLY to blame because youve put yourself in a dangerous situation by knowing exvery possible outcome, with full knowledge yet you ignored that.

[quote]Face it, your argument is bs.

You dont even know what my argument is which is puzzling as I've made it painfully obvious so many times.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bebop: I guess thats supposed to be me. Its hard to tell because I clearly didnt say that.

Its called satire. Learn about it.

Quoting Bebop: Wow. I swaer I said that.

No, you didnt actually. You were trying to make it seems as if there were rape zones where it was assumed that if you go there you get raped, which is idiocy.

Quoting Bebop: Irrelevant.

No, it isnt.

Quoting Bebop: I didnt say that. I never said if you know someone who then rapes you its your fault. However I did say if you chose to hang out by yourself with a guy who is a publicly known rape lover, who raped your friends, and this friend advised you not to go, and you did get raped you are PARTIALLY to blame because youve put yourself in a dangerous situation by knowing exvery possible outcome, with full knowledge yet you ignored that.

No, you didnt expressly say that. Its called taking your argument to the logical ends. If you follow your logic, thats what it says. Besides, since your example is entirely made up and fictional, it doesnt even really matter. Thats like saying HEY GUYS IF I CREATE A GOAT THAT CAN PEE LIQUID GOLD I HAVE THE RIGHT TO CONTROL THE WORLDS GOLD SUPPLY LOL. Yeah, okay, you do get to control it. But guess what? The hypothetical is so retarded and unlikely that it doesnt really matter. What you are proposing isnt anything like the reality of rape, so stop trying to act as if its relevant at all.

Quoting Bebop: You dont even know what my argument is which is puzzling as I've made it painfully obvious so many times.

Yes I do. I think the problem is that YOU havent thought it all the way through, and now that someone has, you're realizing how idiotic it is, but cant just admit it.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: Its called satire. Learn about it.

Its called sarcasm. Learn about it.

[quote]No, you didnt actually.

How about when I said: But basically no-ne except the rapist will know when a rape would occur right? I dont know. You dont know. The victim doesnt know. The victims dad doesnt know. The rapsists dad doesnt know either. STFU

[quote]You were trying to make it seems as if there were rape zones where it was assumed that if you go there you get raped, which is idiocy.

I never said that. And for ***s sake get this through your ****ing head. The only time I can think of where you got that was the woods example. As explained before it was simply an example used. I used woods because its quite a stereoptyped place for rapes to happen. I never said if a women walks through woods shes asking to get raped. For ****s said READ THE POSTS. Utter retard.

[quote]No, it isnt.

It is because to used it to back up your point and counter my point. Problem I never addressed this issue orignially or even argued against it. So its irrelevant see?

[quote]No, you didnt expressly say that. Its called taking your argument to the logical ends. If you follow your logic, thats what it says. Besides, since your example is entirely made up and fictional, it doesnt even really matter.

As I pointed out this is what you THINK my logic is. I explained its not. My *** man every time you type you prove to me more and more how common incest is.

[quote]Thats like saying HEY GUYS IF I CREATE A GOAT THAT CAN PEE LIQUID GOLD I HAVE THE RIGHT TO CONTROL THE WORLDS GOLD SUPPLY LOL. Yeah, okay, you do get to control it.

What are you talking about? STFU.

[quote]But guess what? The hypothetical is so retarded and unlikely that it doesnt really matter. What you are proposing isnt anything like the reality of rape, so stop trying to act as if its relevant at all.

HOLY DOG ****! YOU ADMIT MY SECANRIOS DONT WORK BECUASE ITS SO UNLIKELY EVEN THOUGH IVE STATED THE ACUTAL CHANCE OF A VICTIM SHARING BLAME IS UNLIKEY! I ADMITTED THE POSSIBILTY IS ABSOULTELY TINY AND WOULD BE RARE SO THE CHANCE OF A RAPIST SHARING ANY BLAME IS MOSLTY 100%! IVE JUST CONSIDERED THAT THERE IS A ****ING POSSIBILITY BLAME MIGHT BE SHARED IN EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES SO DONT SAY THE IDEA IS FLAWED WHEN ITS UNLIKELY WHEN THATS THE WHOLE POINT YOU COMPLETE CRETIN!

[quote]Yes I do. I think the problem is that YOU havent thought it all the way through, and now that someone has, you're realizing how idiotic it is, but cant just admit it.

Youve put words in my mouth.
You can udnerstand the simplist post.
Youve constnatly proved you dont get my 'logic'
You dont know what your talking about.

Please, to make it easier, write in a simple sentence what you think my argument is. Maybe that will work.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Your arguement is that under certain circumstances, a victim cn be partially at fault/share blame/however you want to put it. Any way you say it, its bs. When I said "retarded and unlikely" what I meant was "this is one of those things that sounds like it might happen but never will." This is like me wondering what I'd do if Bill Gates put me in his will and then commited suicide. Fun to think about, but pointless.

The bottom line is that you cant give the victim blame, since they didnt CHOOSE to get raped. Its impossible. If they chose it, it would be consenual, and hence not rape. The only guilt lies in the party that chooses to rape them. Since a girl (or guy) that is being raped isnt the one that made the choice, it isnt their fault.

Posted by Kodachi

They might not exactly be to blame, but there certainly is more that can be done to prevent it. It's kind of like if a jeweler were to place his jewels out in the open, then leave them unattended. He's not exactly to blame for the theft, but there's something about his actions that just seems like he should have expected it. It's far too tempting.

Of course, this doesn't apply to all situations.

Posted by cas

She isnt faultless for putting herself in danger. Its like people whining about soldiers dying. They chose to put themselves in a position where they may end up dead. Although I will admit, the army is a much higher risk factor. If this forest is that bad, that a public warning to stay out is made, people should respect that warning and stay out.

Lets use a 10 point must system though. Rapist is still 100% at fault, but she is still around 2% for being stupid.

You are responsible for your actions. They shouldnt have to make it a law and illegal too go into the woods just because someone thinks warnings mean nothing and you are a free individual. There are already laws against rape; it still happens. Making a law against getting raped or wtf is a waste of time at best, intrusive and controlling at worst. It is your responsibility to protect yourself.

You have rights yes, but don't go around like you own the place. There are some places you can't go because they are hazardous. ACCEPT THIS FACT. I don't think bebop was saying the rapist is not to blame, all he is trying to say is she is at fault too for putting herself in an unecessary and avoidable risk.

Lets change the story from rape to kill. Try walking down the darkest ghetto in LA with the wrong colours on. Are you ****ing stupid for doing it? hell ya. Do you deserve to get gunned down? Probably not, but it could happen. Accept this. Deal with it. Don't taunt the animals. Tempt not thy fate. You cant have mommy and daddy nerf the world of its dangers and you shouldnt have Big Brother watching over 24/7 to control all aspects of life either.

[quote]"!=" is different than "=" I forgot how, but it is.
! is the not sign in some programming languages(c/c++ for example). "!=" literally means "not equal".

In conclusion, rapist is still 100% to blame, foolish victim 2-5% for not using common sense. If she didnt go in the woods, as she was warned not too, she would have been safe and unraped. Thats my reasoning. If there was no warning, then 0%. Walking on the street 0%. If there was anything you can do, within reason, to prevent it from happening, then you are partially at fault.

Posted by Arwon

But the point is that the women-folk are in more bloody danger in other circumstances than ones being presented here. That they're NOT placing themselves at increased risk of rape in these situations. Specifically, I mean they're placing themselves at greater risk when they're around PEOPLE THEY KNOW.

By this logic, a woman is more blamable if she's date-raped than if she's wandering in a bad area and assaulted by a stranger, since she's more likely to be raped in the former circumstance than the latter. Higher risk situation = she should have known better, surely?

The basic suggestion being made here, and I can summarise 4 pages worth of posts in a sentence for you all so you can just copy and paste next time: "knowingly placing yourself in a situation of increased risk situation means you must bear some blame for the consequences". Maybe this is a valid general argument, maybe not. Analogies to other crimes don't work because quite frankly rape isn't like other crimes. I've already argued that the consequences of applying this argument to rape is extremely problematic and damaging to actual rape victims both psychologically and judicially... but the implicit sexism and historically misogynistic cultural basis of the argument is actually beside the point here.

The point is that the argument being made again and again rests on silly stereotypical hypotheticals and isn't supported by actual statistics or the reality of rape. The argument that women can be blamed for putting themselves at increased risk of rape falls completely and utterly flat when you look at what ACTUALLY CONSTITUTES "INCREASED RISK OF RAPE" and that the circumstances are totally and utterly different from what's being presented here.

The crux of it is, unless you're arguing that the silly little sluts shouldn't go out on dates or go out partying or get drunk at all, you CANNOT argue that women bear blame for putting themselves at increased risk of rape, since those are the sorts of higher-risk situations that actually exist.

Posted by Draxamus

I will personally rape every chick at VGChat.

Posted by Fate

If a chick is drunk and her breasts are half hanging out of her shirt and she's trying to go home through a dark alley she knows is a shortcut to it and she gets raped, her personal situation does not matter. She was raped. Rape blame. Psh. What a dumb subject. Whoever does the act against someone's will is to be blamed.

However, I do not approve of girls wanting to have sex, copping out at the very last second as they are being penetrated, the guy pulls out, and she claims rape later.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Kodachi: They might not exactly be to blame, but there certainly is more that can be done to prevent it. It's kind of like if a jeweler were to place his jewels out in the open, then leave them unattended. He's not exactly to blame for the theft, but there's something about his actions that just seems like he should have expected it. It's far too tempting.

Of course, this doesn't apply to all situations.

Well, obviously that's true. I could leave my $120,000 BMW 760 running in a dark back alley where I know criminals steal cars, completely unlocked, windows down, and then just leave it there.

Lo and behold, it gets stolen. And who is to blame? THE THEIF OBVIOUSLY. Sure, it may have been an incredibly stupid thing to do, but luckily for idiots, our society generally protects them from predators who specifically prey on the weak and unassuming. And that's the way it should be, quite frankly.

Blaming victims? I mean, what is wrong with you, Bebop?

Posted by Kanashuri

Rape the *****. She deserves it if shes that stupid or drunk.[IMG]http://vgchat.com/images/icons/jesse-smith.gif[/IMG]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0viet: Blaming victims? I mean, what is wrong with you, Bebop?

Not giving some blame to complete idiots? Whats wrong with you?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Kanashuri: Rape the *****. She deserves it if shes that stupid or drunk.[IMG]http://vgchat.com/images/icons/jesse-smith.gif[/IMG]

curiously enough, I can respect that at least he's willing to say that:cookie:

Posted by Iris

I don't think the victims should be at legal fault at any time, however they're partially to blame if they enable it to happen in certain scenarios. Never should a rapist get away with it by saying "she should've expected it, she got drunk on our date," or such, however the victim should have enough common sense to not let that happen so she may prevent it. Although the victim is free to take risks, she's is foolish if she thinks that there won't ever be consequences.

Of course, it's subjective who you think did something wrong. Most will think it's the rapist, some may think it's the ditz who allowed herself to get drunk, a few might even blame the victim's guardian for letting her go outside. However, no one can know for sure if rape will occur, and it's ultimately up to the rapist. Only a rapist should be at legal fault since only they can make it happen. Different levels of stupidity can certainly raise the chances for it to occur though.

Posted by Bebop

Oh naturally legal fault is entirely given to the rapist as the criminal. But people seem to think that just because someone doesnt have legal fault they are not responsible (fully or partially) or an idiot. This applies to everything, not just crimes. Thats what I'm saying.

Posted by Colonel

Personally, i don't know whos side to lean on because it depends what type of rape it is, because if its armed rape or someone slipped something into your drink, then its the sexual preditors fualt, but if the victim is just a stupid a** then they sure have got balls to go to the police and complain over something they" might" have had controll over. Some of you might say what if it's 2 against one, or what if the sexual preditor is just stronge? Then in this case it is completely the attackers fault. The solution is simple, carry your beverages around at all time, don't drink to much alc., carry around some sort of communication device (i.e cell phone), and have some sort of none-deadly wepon on you (pepper spray). If all else fails make sure you always carry around rubbers. :cookie:

Posted by Bebop

Do you think rape has ever turned consentual during the process?

*oscar*

Posted by Colonel

No. Rape, is rape.

Posted by Bebop

What? That doesnt answer my question.

Posted by Colonel

Oh sorry i thought you said something else.

Umm I think that if rape turned consentual, then it would be totaly legal. But there still is the issue that he/she never wanted it to begin with.

Posted by Iris

Of course rape can turn consentual during the process, but that could just be because they're intoxicated, or "it feels good," or maybe because they think their rapist is attractive. Either way, if it turns consentual, or the victim doesn't want to consider it rape, or the victim just doesn't care enough that it happened to contact any authority, they could just be acting naive about the situation and are trying to deny it. It's just as possible as giving consent before sex, not saying anything during, and accusing the person of rape afterwards.

Posted by Last Fog

Of course you cant blame the victim for the action the aggressor committed. You're all so dense. The argument isnt whether you blame the victim for the action itself. But if she dresses like a whore and walks around by herself in the woods in the middle of the night after being warned not to go there, what the hell is expected? Thats what you call asking for it.

Posted by Colonel

*claps* :cookie:

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: Your arguement is that under certain circumstances, a victim cn be partially at fault/share blame/however you want to put it.

Well I'm glad you finally got it. I just wonder why you refused to understand it earlier or misinterrupt.

[quote=Arwon]The crux of it is, unless you're arguing that the silly little sluts shouldn't go out on dates or go out partying or get drunk at all, you CANNOT argue that women bear blame for putting themselves at increased risk of rape, since those are the sorts of higher-risk situations that actually exist.

Yes I can. Bascially your saying rape blame cants be shared because the reality of when most rapes do occur its with someone a women knows, in a domestic place or during a normal event? Well in this case yes, you cant share blame.
But just because the times rape can have shared blame is extremely unlikey, they do still exisit, have happened in this way and is still a situaion where rape will occur, whether more common or not. This just adds to the point really. The chance of these cases happening,say the woods example, is much more unlikely to happen than at a party right? Well I say that if a victim takes a situation where rape risk is low,e.g. the woods example, and then increases that by choice, to say double that of a random party risk factor, thats where it can be blamed. Not because they encounter high rape risk circumstances on a daily basis. Its all about taking the slim chance and making it huge through stupididty and disregarding your own saftey.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Last Fog: Of course you cant blame the victim for the action the aggressor committed. You're all so dense. The argument isnt whether you blame the victim for the action itself. But if she dresses like a whore and walks around by herself in the woods in the middle of the night after being warned not to go there, what the hell is expected? Thats what you call asking for it.

No, she didn't ask to be taken advantage of, even if she was completely naked. It's about human restraint and sense, for crying out loud.

Posted by Kodachi

Quoting Last Fog: Of course you cant blame the victim for the action the aggressor committed. You're all so dense. The argument isnt whether you blame the victim for the action itself. But if she dresses like a whore and walks around by herself in the woods in the middle of the night after being warned not to go there, what the hell is expected? Thats what you call asking for it.

It's forseeable, yes, but that doesn't make her the blame. You're saying a serial rapist becomes less of a psycho if all of his victims were dressed slutty? You certainly wouldn't charge the victim with a crime just for dressing a certain way and being somewhere, would you? It might be retarded, but she's certainly not to blame.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bebop: Well I'm glad you finally got it. I just wonder why you refused to understand it earlier or misinterrupt.

Yes I can. Bascially your saying rape blame cants be shared because the reality of when most rapes do occur its with someone a women knows, in a domestic place or during a normal event? Well in this case yes, you cant share blame.
But just because the times rape can have shared blame is extremely unlikey, they do still exisit, have happened in this way and is still a situaion where rape will occur, whether more common or not. This just adds to the point really. The chance of these cases happening,say the woods example, is much more unlikely to happen than at a party right? Well I say that if a victim takes a situation where rape risk is low,e.g. the woods example, and then increases that by choice, to say double that of a random party risk factor, thats where it can be blamed. Not because they encounter high rape risk circumstances on a daily basis. Its all about taking the slim chance and making it huge through stupididty and disregarding your own saftey.

You are now officially the most retarded person in the world. If you really think theres any validity to what you are saying, then you have some sort of major defect. The bottom line is that the hypothetical bs you are yammering about is LESS of a risk than the real version of rape. So your argument amounts to "we should blame girls even when thogh theres no way they can see it coming LOL" whether you want it to or not.

Posted by Arwon

All I can say is I hope they never let Bebop on a rape jury...

Bebop, I don't care for the distinction you're making between "blame" and "reduced legal culpability" because in reality there is no distinction. I get that you're not arguing if a girl put herself at risk the rapist is less guilty, but the thing is, the distinction doesn't matter. You're still effectively blaming rape victims for being raped and that's just not on. Lack of a sense of common sense or self preservation is very very different from being blamable.

You can't isolate one risk factor, "being in the wrong place", and lay blame in that situation, without this flowing into blame for other risk factors, be they "being drunk" or "going around unescorted" or "dressing sexy" or "not being at home reading the bible". It's meaningless and spurious to focus so narrowly on a few hyoptheticals involving a lack of common sense and pretend these arguments don't have broader implications. We've SEEN the broader implications of the idea that rape victims can be held responsible for being raped, we see it everytime a rapist escapes justice because a girl was drunk or "a slut", or dressed provocatively, or "led him on" or any of the other character-assassination-based defences that get used.

You are blaming rape victims for being raped, and this isn't the sort of position that contains nuance and subtelty. Rape is rape, and this attitude that a victim must expect to be held responsible for their traumatic experience is damaging and backwards, and it's something society has taken a long time to move away from. You CANNOT isolate this "girls can be blamed for rape" argument to circumstances that you see fit to pick and choose at will, without your arguments being naturally extended more broadly to other controllable risk factors, and this is why people are finding your arguments so repellant. Unless you're willing to straightout say "girls can be blamed for getting raped if they've been dressing slutty or drinking or going out alone" and whathaveyou, your position is utterly untenable.

Again I ask, why are you so fixated on proving that girls can be blamed for being raped? What possible motivation can there be to this?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: The bottom line is that the hypothetical bs you are yammering about is LESS of a risk than the real version of rape.

I said my examples have a less chance of occuring. Which is the point. It's not about which siuation has a higher chance of rape occuring, but when a situation with a less risk is increased on purpose and by ignoring saftey and common sense. Of course walking in woods has a less rape chance than a party for instance. But this woods example had increased public awareness following attempted kidnappings, rapes and attempted rapes in the same isolated area over a short period of time, which surely would have a higher rape chance if anything than a normal party setting because police had made it clear rapists and general shady characters had been making appearances in this area. The risk factor of this woods example had gone from a lower risk facrot to very very high, and although a party setting may have an inital high rape risk setting, the former had increased.

[quote]So your argument amounts to "we should blame girls even when thogh theres no way they can see it coming LOL" whether you want it to or not.

My argument is "idiots should acknowldge their faults and errors"

[quote]All I can say is I hope they never let Bebop on a rape jury...

Just because I can acknowldge a victim can have fault, doesnt mean it gets the rapist off the hook. Lets hope people like you never have children.

[quote]Lack of a sense of common sense or self preservation is very very different from being blamable.

I dont think I said if someone doesnt carry a gun and gets raped its partially their fault for not having any protection, because I dont think thats true and it's not something I beleive. However I have said an anti-rape bear trap like device does exist.

I dont see why lack of common sense should release anyone of any fault, blame, responsabilty or whatever you want to call it. Whether or not its a rape case, a mugging case, a road accident or whatever. Lack of common sense isnt going on a date with someone you hardly know, or walking by yourself late at night. Lack of common sense is walking through woods where you know rapists have been active over the last couple of days and its dark and your a school girl. Thats lack of common sense.

[quote]You are blaming rape victims for being raped,

Now, I'm saying stupidity can give you partial blame. Theres a big difference between that and "LOL EVERY RAPE VICTIM IS GUILTY".

[quote]Rape is rape, and this attitude that a victim must expect to be held responsible for their traumatic experience is damaging and backwards, and it's something society has taken a long time to move away from.

You make it sounds as if I think this of every rape case. I think a victim of any crime should expect to be help partially responsible through stupidity. Again there is a difference between that and "LOL I SAY EVERY VICTIM SHOUDL EXPECT IT"

[quote]Again I ask, why are you so fixated on proving that girls can be blamed for being raped? What possible motivation can there be to this?

Partially blamed. As a more respected and intelligent member on these boards you should be able to understand the differnce between "blame" and "parital blame", especially whens it made such an appearnance on this threa.

As for my 'fixation' its like this. There are some cases where an event is a direct result from the action of one person and one person alone. Like making a sandwich for instance as a simple example. However thats as simple as it gets really.
Are films the sole proudction of an individual (like a directer) or through the entire team from the actors to the writers to the lighters to the sound men?
Was the genocide of Jews the entire sole aciton of Hitler, or could it be linked to every nazi party memeber who followed him and worked in the concentration camps?
Can 9/11 be blamed on the action of a few hijakcers or an entire terroist group?
How about suicide? Should the suicide of a school boy be seen as a solo action or could it be seen as a contribution from all the abusive school bullies detailed in a suice note?
Crime is not a sandwich. It is not simple, just like everthing else in this universe and beyond that. Every crime has to be looked at from every angle, from every person involved and so one. (Another example could be: Man A wants to fight Man B but Man B doesnt want to. Man A starts attacking and eventual a fight breaks out. Man A dies. Is this entirely Man B's fault for fighting? Was it self defense from an abusive Man A? or was it entirely Man A's faults for starting the fight and persisting? Maybe they are both at fault for fighting each other.)

Every situation that has ever occurred, whether criminal or not, has had a series of complications and effects before it that should be viewed from every possible angle and I dont see why rape should be the exception to this rule. Why is it rape is the only case where the result should be examined rather than the process too, when surely that is as significent. If rape is an exception why cant suicide be? Better tell the family of the dead boy thats it's his fault, and the bullies have done nothing wrong. I am merely acknowledging thats its not and that nothing should be. Thats a big difference from "omg every rape victim is lol to blame has some blame lol lolodgdn".

Posted by Fate

I swear to ***, Bebop, if you're blaming me for wearing shorts and a tank top around the horrible men from my youth and saying that I invited their actions I hope you die a miserable death.

The example you gave from Man A and Man B is called "manslaughter". Man B would get time, but not much. It's murder because in the end he still didn't restrain himself enough to keep the man alive during or after the fight.

I can see what you're trying to say, but it seems as if you are ill-advised on this topic. A girl, a boy,-- anyone-- can place themselves in any position they see fit. It doesn't matter. If some black guy walks into a KKK meeting and starts saying "**** you guys i dare you to shoot me" and someone shoots him, it doesn't matter how he got shot, the fact is that he was. Rape is rape.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Princess Fate: I swear to ***, Bebop, if you're blaming me for wearing shorts and a tank top around the horrible men from my youth and saying that I invited their actions I hope you die a miserable death.

Jesus, do you people even read my posts? To prevent you going over the topc Fate I said a womens level of intoxication or the way she dresses is not what a consider valid for sharing blame.

[quote]The example you gave from Man A and Man B is called "manslaughter". Man B would get time, but not much. It's murder because in the end he still didn't restrain himself enough to keep the man alive during or after the fight.

Point is theres many different sides to a situation. How do you know Man B didnt intentional kill Man A either?

[quote]I can see what you're trying to say, but it seems as if you are ill-advised on this topic. A girl, a boy,-- anyone-- can place themselves in any position they see fit. It doesn't matter. If some black guy walks into a KKK meeting and starts saying "**** you guys i dare you to shoot me" and someone shoots him, it doesn't matter how he got shot, the fact is that he was. Rape is rape.

If that black guy wants to do that thats fine. I consider that very stupid though. Although I would need to know if the KKK would have done it anyway. ANd they probably would of. So it wouldnt have made a difference, like Spams (I thinks) seatbelt example. If the outcome will be the same no matter what then theres no room for shared blame.

Posted by Fate

If Man B didn't instigate the fight, his intentions after it started wouldn't really matter.

For the black guy, if I was listening to that in the news, I probably would've said "that ****** probably deserved it" and carried on. But if I was on a jury and had to think of this carefully, I'd think otherwise.

Posted by Arwon

[quote]Partially blamed. As a more respected and intelligent member on these boards you should be able to understand the differnce between "blame" and "parital blame", especially whens it made such an appearnance on this thread

Dude, this is RAPE. It ain't subtle, nuanced or theoretical. There's a time for respect and intelligence to be considerate, polite, analytical and restrained, and there's a time for it to say "that's not on". Nowhere do these "respect" and "intelligent" words imply that one must be balanced in the face of dumb arguments. I've already stated that "blame and partial blame" have no distinction as far as the victim is concerned and you've presented no counterargument as to why what you're saying is any different to full-on blaming a victim for being raped.

Stop drawing stupid analogies. I've, so far, counted nearly half a dozen of the... but really, rape is particularly harrowing and praticularly severe and you need to address it on its own merits instead of drawing these dumb analogies. Mugging? Suicide? F*ck the f*ck off. A mugging victim has no relationship to a rape victim. Different orders of magnitude of suffering. And the suicide point was just silly flailing.

You've utterly ignored my point that your argument can and will be extended to other controllable factors of rape and so I repeat: "You CANNOT isolate this "girls can be blamed for rape" argument to circumstances that you see fit to pick and choose at will, without your arguments being naturally extended more broadly to other controllable risk factors, and this is why people are finding your arguments so repellant. Unless you're willing to straightout say "girls can be blamed for getting raped if they've been dressing slutty or drinking or going out alone" and whathaveyou, your position is utterly untenable"

You've yet to provide one valid reason why your argument about controllable risks must be limited to the factors you choose, or an argument why all these factors are blamable. No-one's saying you're saying every rape victim is blamable, that's just retarded on your part and frankly a sign of desperation. What we're saying is that your arguments are hurtful to rape victims and range far wider than the circumstances you choose, based on arbitrary criteria, rooted in nothing as far as I can see save your vestigal sense of "political correctness" in not extending these to their logical conlusion.

Sh*t or get off the pot, Bebop. Either dressing slutty, drinking, and going out alone is blamable, or your extreme circumstances are not. It's all controllable risk, after all.

Posted by Bebop

The reason my argument is limited to the factors I have chosen is becuase these are the few ones I'd allow to be used for sharing blame. As stated in my earliest posts only in extreme circumstances should rape blame possibly be allowed to be shared and those extreme circumstances are going to need extreme factors. Thats why. I thought I had made that clear. There going to have to be specific enough otherwise it wont work.

As for analogies I have to use them and compare them to otehr crimes becuase my first woods example wich was a real case sitn really convincing people (*** knows why when thats the purest example I could ever think of rape blame being blame). I've had to come at it from and other angle.

[quote]No-one's saying you're saying every rape victim is blamable,
Spam's post of this thread is an example.

I see everything as a result from something and the bigger the event the more things to look at. With events betwwen 2 people I have to look at each side of it. As rape is a 2 side thing I cant just assume its the complete result of one indivdual without looking at the other side too. that would be unfair adn a bias approach, even if it turns out the victim has nothing to do with it. The process leads to the outcome and solely focusing on one is wrong.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Actually, what I was getting ay was that if you follow your logic, every one is blameable.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lenin of Spam: Actually, what I was getting ay was that if you follow your logic, every one is blameable.

Even though its not my logic and I had explained this in many earlier posts? Hence why are asked oyu if you even knew what my argument was about.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Maybe you missed the part where Arwon pointed out that EVEN IF YOU WERE RIGHT it wouldnt mean anything, since it would be used to stretch things too far. So maybe you should reread his arguments, since you dont get it.

Posted by muffla

what if a woman tied a man to a chair and sat on his lap a man cant force himself not got get a boner and if he was ties up if could not b his fault

Posted by mis0

Women can rape men, tard. And assuming that happened, then, yes, it would be the womans fault.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0viet: Women can rape men, tard. And assuming that happened, then, yes, it would be the womans fault.

How? When the guy got a boner wouldnt it be because of sexual arosal and then become consented.

Quoted post: How? When the guy got a boner wouldnt it be because of sexual arosal and then become consented.

You can't control your body. There's no conset if you scream "NO, PLEASE DON'T!"

Posted by Kanashuri

Quoting Emperor Vampiro: "NO, PLEASE DON'T!"

I hear that alot, does it mean they actually dont want it?

Quoted post: I hear that alot, does it mean they actually dont want it?

Usually when rape victims yell, scream, and struggle to get away from their attacker, that generally means they don't want it.

BUT IDK MAYBE UR RITE LOL

***, shut up. We're talking about flat-out rape, not bondage.

Posted by Kanashuri

When its bondage i know its consentual or else shed say the safe word "lemon"

Posted by s0ul

How anyone can disagree with Bebop's original post at least is truly beyond me. I can't be bothered to see how you're doing it, but his initial post's scenario is pretty much a no-brainer.

Posted by Fate

His scenario makes perfect sense, seeing as how the girl was an idiot. But idiocy does not excuse the act of rape upon her!

Posted by s0ul

Well, when her rape could've been easily avoided and she has full knowledge of this, she bears significant responsibility. Of course, the rapist could've not raped her as well, but that's why it's clearly being stated as partial blame.

Posted by Fate

Just 'cause it could've been avoided doesn't excuse the fact that the rape actually occurred. Just sayin'.

Posted by s0ul

It's not meant to excuse it, that's not the argument.

Posted by mis0

The problem with that argument, soul, is that it allows essentially anyone to be blamed for the rape from a legal standpoint. Grandma can be to blame because she couldn't fight off the perp, a little kid could be blamed for not dialing to police fast enough, etc. Even though that's not what you're specifically saying, allowing blame to fall on the victims opens up the possibility of allowing anyone else to be held partially responsible for a crime.

And besides, they're called victims for a reason - a crime was commited against them; regardless of how preventable it may have been, the perpitrator is at complete fault, no blame should fall on the victim.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting mis0viet: The problem with that argument, soul, is that it allows essentially anyone to be blamed for the rape from a legal standpoint. Grandma can be to blame because she couldn't fight off the perp, a little kid could be blamed for not dialing to police fast enough, etc. Even though that's not what you're specifically saying, allowing blame to fall on the victims opens up the possibility of allowing anyone else to be held partially responsible for a crime.

Now it doesnt and this is why you people fail. They only have partial blame by being idiots, and you think that if theres a possibility a victim could possibly be at fault its reason to stretch it as far as possible. Thats being dumb. As far as legal stand point the rapist is to blame but this isnt about who goes to prison or not. Its about the actual scenario, not the court outcome.

[quote]And besides, they're called victims for a reason - a crime was commited against them; regardless of how preventable it may have been, the perpitrator is at complete fault, no blame should fall on the victim.

Well I'm arguing that just because someone is an idiot does not remove them from their faults. Its not about sharing the prison sentence. It's about reality. The jewel own in Kodachis example (I think) wouldnt get jail time and I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing he too was at fault and your confusing error with criminal record.

Posted by mis0

YO MORON, BLAME IS WHAT DETERMINES WHO GOES TO JAIL. THAT'S WHY YOU FAIL.

Posted by Bebop

Its not about legal blame. If it was this thread wouldnt exist. Im sure that was demonstrated in the first post.

Posted by Kodachi

I think "blame" is more of a poor choice of words, then.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bebop: Its not about legal blame. If it was this thread wouldnt exist. Im sure that was demonstrated in the first post.

You realize that legal blame is based off of the normal consideration of blame, right? For you to try to seperate them is idiotic in an extreme.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Kodachi: I think "blame" is more of a poor choice of words, then.

It would appear so, even after stating its not about legal blame

[quote=Spam]You realize that legal blame is based off of the normal consideration of blame, right? For you to try to seperate them is idiotic in an extreme

Yes, and for that reason the rapist will be the one punisher will all, or in some rare cases, most blame. And I'm not trying to seperate them you freak, I'm stating that just because a court rules in favour of the victim it isnt reason to overlook fault, error or blame (whatever you want to call it) of the victim. This is not done by a legal point. I could be a judge and send a rapist off to prison for the rest of his life but that doesnt stop me thinking that the victim was a ****ing idiot.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bebop: And I'm not trying to seperate them you freak.

[quote]Its not about legal blame.

Bam, seperation.

Posted by Bebop

I meant seperation as in removing legal fault from the rapist and sharing the legal fault with the victim. I dont mean seperating legal blame. Thats what I thougt you meant.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bebop: Its not about legal blame. If it was this thread wouldnt exist. Im sure that was demonstrated in the first post.

Blame is essentially what determines who is guilty, both in the public eye and the eyes of the law. There really is no distinction in the states.

Posted by Bebop

Yes of course it does. But people seem to be freaking out that if someone has say 1% of blame people are going to be locking them up, hanging them or throwing tomatoes at them. For that reason people stop looking at reality and become selective when it comes to responsibilties among parties, such as rape.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Misoxeny: Blame is essentially what determines who is guilty, both in the public eye and the eyes of the law. There really is no distinction in the states.

What are you talking about? Of course there's a **** disctinction. Take for instance, suing McDonald's for making you fat. It's clearly the fatty's fault for eating all the burgers, but these morons win the cases all the time (not referring to that case specifically, nobody try to correct me there :)). Everyone knows the plaintiff's a **** idiot. Rodney King? It's ridiculous to say there's no difference in legal blame and a realistic worldview blame. Law requires you to be pretty straight out of the books, they're obviously not going to punish a rape victim, which is also quite apparently not what Bebop is saying they should do.

Again, how you guys can argue it is absurd to me. Saying there's no difference between legal blame and the kind of blame Bebop is obviously talking about is a fallacy and there's no way you don't know it.

Posted by mis0

In cases like frivilous lawsuits, there may be a distinction in blame, but there isn't in cases of rape, ****wit. THE RAPIST TOOK HER AGAINST HER WILL AND PENETRATED HER. He's entirely to blame.

How you can argue otherwise, I wish I could understand. What, do you want to go around a rape people or something? Is that it?

Quoted post: Take for instance, suing McDonald's for making you fat.

Isn't impossible to do that now, though? So the law's pretty much fixed that.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Misoxeny]In cases like frivilous lawsuits, there may be a distinction in blame, but there isn't in cases of rape, ****wit. THE RAPIST TOOK HER AGAINST HER WILL AND PENETRATED HER. He's entirely to blame.

How you can argue otherwise, I wish I could understand. What, do you want to go around a rape people or something? Is that it?
Ugh. They're trying to say, in extreme cases when certain rape risks can be totally avoided, such as getting drunk on a blind date, going somewhere dark and far from public view, or just leading some one on, the victim is partially to blame. Not so much to blame that they should get any punishment. Maybe just strongly advised and kept from letting those risks be taken again.

It's like if you aggravate someone enough until they punch you in the face. Yes, they punched you in the face, but they punched you in the face because you purposely ****ed them off. They should have restraint, but you took the risk putting part of the blame on yourself.

Posted by mis0

You're comparing apples and oranges, though. It shouldn't really matter what the victim does to arouse the rapist, unless she basically says it was rape after the fact out of shame or something. You rape someone, you're to blame entirely.

Posted by Iris

So, you're saying a victim has the right to remain ignorant on what risk he or she had taken and not be kept from taking them again? The whole purpose of giving them a bit of fault is to keep them from having it happen to them again. If some stupid broad allows herself to get raped because she's drunk and asks and wants a ride home, you're not going to tell her she's a fool and she shouldn't have put herself in that scenario? Of couse you're still going to punish the rapist, but the victim needs to learn where she was wrong as well, rather than just being a medium for imprisoning rapists.

And don't go and say she wasn't stupid for getting drunk and hitching a ride with a stranger. I'm perfectly aware it's the aggressor's choice to rape some one, but placing yourself in that situation is irresponsible.

Posted by Kit

Quoting Xenos: Either way, the rape laws were always flawed. Recently, a friend of mines had sex with a girl in the library. Somehow, her mother found out and the little whore lied and said my friend had raped her. Despite of the lack of evidence, my chum was expelled from the school and because his father couldn't face him anymore, he ran away from home and no one has heard of him since. If the girl goes as far as the press charges, his life is ruined. Life sucks.

That sucks, there's a girl who got pregnant at age 12 in the UK (In Manchester or somewhere, I think. I'm not too sure.) because she had unprotected sex with somebody 2-3 years older than her, who'd had a few drinks. (No rape or anything like that, just sex apparently.) He didn't even remember that he'd had sex, and didn't know about the baby until he saw it on the news. And now the boy was getting done for rape, even though he didn't rape. So if two underage people have unprotected sex, the older person gets done for it. Sucks, doesn't it?

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

[quote=Misoxeny]You're comparing apples and oranges, though. It shouldn't really matter what the victim does to arouse the rapist, unless she basically says it was rape after the fact out of shame or something. You rape someone, you're to blame entirely.That is legal blame vs real blame. In the case you refer to (post ex facto), the guy CAN STILL be charged. If a girl drinks a bit too much by her own free will and the guy bangs her, and then she feels bad, the guy can be convicted even if the girl said yes. Legally, the guy raped her, even though we all know he didn't.

Victim/attacker is not a black and white thing. In your example with the BMW, if you left the key inside with the windows down and the car running in the middle of Compton, you WOULD be at fault for it getting stolen. They would be at fault for stealing it, but while you weren't at legal fault, you were at realistic fault in a sense that you could have prevented it happening. If I wear a Rolex and a massive gold chain and an Armani suit into the ghetto, I'd expect to be robbed, and it would be my fault if I did get robbed. I would have brought it upon myself.

Posted by S

[quote="Vampiro"]It's like if you aggravate someone enough until they punch you in the face. Yes, they punched you in the face, but they punched you in the face because you purposely ****ed them off. They should have restraint, but you took the risk putting part of the blame on yourself.

The only reason this analogy doesn't work is because you forget to factor in the concept of social norms. Aggravating someone intentionally is your fault, you basically asked for it because you made the decision to do it. Now by saying that a woman dresses provokatively means she's asking for it cannot be held to the same standard because the women are not intentionally doing anything caustic nor are they doing anything abnormal. Women in all of the first world socieites are taught to be sexy and provokative, this has become a part of who they are. For this reason, it is slightly different than intentionally aggravating someone because you have the conscious choice to do it or not. Women on the other hand are not all conscious of their choices(The same can be said for men in different situations.).

Posted by Kanashuri

Quoting Lunairetic:

The only reason this analogy doesn't work is because you forget to factor in the concept of social norms. Aggravating someone intentionally is your fault, you basically asked for it because you made the decision to do it. Now by saying that a woman dresses provokatively means she's asking for it cannot be held to the same standard because the women are not intentionally doing anything caustic nor are they doing anything abnormal. Women in all of the first world socieites are taught to be sexy and provokative, this has become a part of who they are. For this reason, it is slightly different than intentionally aggravating someone because you have the conscious choice to do it or not. Women on the other hand are not all conscious of their choices(The same can be said for men in different situations.).

Yeah when a girl tells me to get the **** away and go die they arent aware that they are really saying they want me to rape them. Stupid girls

Posted by S

And that has relevance how? Idiots are idiots, no matter where you go. Rape is not about sexuality, it's about power. So in essense, yes by them dominating you in a conversation, you may act out of frustration and excersize your power over her. In essense, an ironic situation for the person who was turned down at first. However that is a very specific example.

I was speaking on a social level, women are taught to do that - it is not something that they have full awareness of unless they make a point to have full control over that portion of their mind. And because of this, it is not the same as consciously aggravating someone in order to goad them into striking you.

Lunairetic: It was a loose analogy. Basically, get all up in someone's grill and walking around drunk, dressed slutty, and being flirty is not much different. You know you shouldn't aggravate someone to the point of snapping and the girl knows not to get drunk as hell, dress like a slut, and flirt with strange men.

Posted by Speedfreak

What Vampiro is getting at is rape can be the price you pay for ignorance and naivety, as ruthlessly unfair as it is. From a moral standpoints women should get absolutely no blame whatsoever, but as I've said before, the real world is far from ideal.

This is totally off-topic (well, maybe not totally), but women who dress like sluts, in my opinion, deserve to be thought of as them. You don't have to pay attention to magazines and TV, you don't have to conform. This is why I have much more respect for women than the average male, because I am capable of disagreeing with the way women are objectified.

Posted by Delilah

Any rape victim is NOT TO BLAME FOR WHAT HAPPENED!! No matter what CIRCUMSTANCES, IT IS NOT THE GIRL'S FAULT! Idiots like you don't even need to breed, Bebop, get the **** out of here! If the person says no, then THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Fate

Quoting s0ul: Again, how you guys can argue it is absurd to me. Saying there's no difference between legal blame and the kind of blame Bebop is obviously talking about is a fallacy and there's no way you don't know it.

I understand perfectly fine that Bebop is talking about out-of-court situations. It doesn't change the fact that someone was raped. The preventative measures don't matter, seeing as how I still don't think stupidity can really factor into the blame of the victim. I am guilty of saying "that girl probably deserved it, being drunk and dressing all slutty like that", but I realize the seriousness of it all and it just seems coldhearted to blame a victim for what the perp did.

There's nothing cold-hearted about it. Of course, you're not going to blame all victims, since there are those times where there's just nothing they could have done to prevent it. But we're talking about instances where the girl did so much wrong that you almost can't help but blame her. Things she knows she shouldn't do. The blame however, is very small. So there's nothing cold-hearted at all. it's just more of a fact.

Posted by Fate

I can totally see myself placing blame on some really, really stupid people. Their stupidity seems to blind people from remembering that in the end, they're still victims of a crime that shouldn't have happened regardless of the circumstances.

I completely concur. It should have never happened and there's no doubt that they're victims. But that doesn't make them completely innocent.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Misoxeny: In cases like frivilous lawsuits, there may be a distinction in blame, but there isn't in cases of rape, ****wit.

Easy, killer! No need to call me a ****wit, I THOUGHT WE WERE COOL. Regardless you said there was no distinction between blame and legal blame in the states. That's all you said. Was it that ridiculous that I assumed you meant just that?

[quote]THE RAPIST TOOK HER AGAINST HER WILL AND PENETRATED HER. He's entirely to blame.

The victim threw her vagina in the middle of publicly-known rapist territory. She bears a fair amount of blame. lol restating viewpoints

[quote]How you can argue otherwise, I wish I could understand. What, do you want to go around a rape people or something? Is that it?

No, it's just ridiculous for people to be able to get away without taking any responsibility for their mistakes and actions.

For any actual arguments refer to Iris and Vampiro's post. I don't feel like restating it all more, more like trying to figure out why you went ape**** on me.

Posted by Bebop

Can I just ask what people hink of the woods example in the first post?This example is completely true. A girl did really do that.

[quote=Ladydragonrider]Any rape victim is NOT TO BLAME FOR WHAT HAPPENED!! No matter what CIRCUMSTANCES, IT IS NOT THE GIRL'S FAULT! Idiots like you don't even need to breed, Bebop, get the **** out of here! If the person says no, then THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!

1)Capitals are shouting and it hurts my tiny internet ears
2)Lots of exclamation marks means lots of shouting, so combined with your capitals it is a deadly combination. I have contacted the authorities.*
3)Swearing is bad. Swearing is also a crime in the UK, and punishable by forced sex.
4)You are a sexist pig. One day you'll realize men do more for you than you could possibly imagine.
5)The mixture of shouting (upper case) and talking (lower case) suggest you may have terretes. However seeing as this is a message board it is more likely you are retarded.

Posted by Kit

Quoting Ladydragonrider: Any rape victim is NOT TO BLAME FOR WHAT HAPPENED!! No matter what CIRCUMSTANCES, IT IS NOT THE GIRL'S FAULT! Idiots like you don't even need to breed, Bebop, get the **** out of here! If the person says no, then THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!

So if the girl raped the boy, it'd be the boy's fault?

k, remind me not to get raped.

Posted by Bebop

As far as this "you're comparing apples and oranges thing goes", acknowledge there are more similarites than differences between these two small, brightly colourd, spherical, delicious, healty, juicy fruits. ;)

Posted by Bebop

Can I just ask what people hink of the woods example in the first post?This example is completely true. A girl did really do that.

Posted by poisonblood

The girl did make the decision to go into an area were rapists are. But it is still not her fault for being raped she is just an idiot and it is people like her that are supposed to made examples of . bad things happen to stupid people for a reason. It is because they are STUPID ,and dont listen to warnings,
but it is not her fault she was raped. None of the blame should be placed on her. She simply had it coming for not listening to warrnings.

Posted by Arwon

There's a lack of precise information about why she braved these woods. I mean, for example, most people get attacked close to their home, because their guard is down because they "know the area".There's an assumption that she did in fact know and remember all the stories. There's too many examples of totally false and paranoid beliefs about certain areas being "dangerous" for anyone to put stock in every last one of them.

There's too many examples of people with no common sense, especially teenagers with their underdeveloped brains and skewed risk assessment abilities, to go so far as to blame a rape victim for being raped in such circumstances. It smacks too much of lessening the severity of the crime, and especially of residual cultural mysogyny.

Beyond the issues of lack of detail and "playground story" type ring of the example, the upshot is that it's still blaming a girl for rape. Still sounds like a variation on the old-as-civilisation-itself "she bought it on herself" argument that people are rightly trying to stamp out. The key issue, for mine, is the seeming obsession with proving that girls can be blamed for rape strikes me as just plain odd. I can't see for what ends that argument is made, except for reading it as jumping at an excuse to go "hah, serves you right, dumb slut". It's really not far removed at all from blaming girls for dressing slutty or getting drunk.

You probably don't mean it like that, hell maybe you're not even aware of the extent to which such "she had it coming" perceptions still exist and mess up the justice system and rape victims... but that's the cultural background and why people are so sensitive to anything that smacks of girls being blamed for being raped. They've been being unjustly blamed for rape thousands of years... is it any wonder people are a little leery of it now that we've begun to know better?

Jumping on the example of one teenager who is raped after a very teenage absence of common sense and going "see girls can be blamed for being raped" is not a good position to take.

Posted by loathing

i see that you have your mantra in your sig there.

Posted by loathing

yeah guys, the real way to keep rape rates down in this country is to force women to cover all visible skin at all times! they should also stay indoors unless they can be accompanied by their husband or other male family member. because you know, rape happens because women are TOTALLY ASKING FOR IT when they go WANDERING NEAR MY YARD (a dedicated RAPE ZONE) in their BLUE JEANS and TEE SHIRTS.