Is there any way to get a resolution higher than the set maximum?

Posted by I feel Yellow?

the max resolution on my laptop ( win 2000 ) is very small ( 800 x 600 ) and i want to know if there is a way to get it a bit bigger without changing the hardware

Posted by Klarth

Use the magic resolution stick of nonexistence.

"hey, is there any way to increase the capacity of my hard drive?"

Posted by Osic

Yes there is, compress the drive.

Seriously thogh you could try a Video card driver update but being a LCD monitor (havent seen to many CRT laptops) it only designed to run a 800x600. You have 800x600 pixels (or multiple of 800x600) on your monitor and that cant be changed, anything else wont look any good

Posted by Trigger

You may be able to, if you're willing to find out (and so long as it won't void your laptop warrenty, if any), is if it is able to have an updated video card installed onto the motherboard. That might be more money than the result is actually worth, though. Anyway, Yellow, the typical rule about resolutions is the smaller the screen, the lower your resolution should be. You might strain your eyes with 1024x768 or higher on a laptop screen, unless you opt for a CRT monitor to be connected whenever you're not travelling (and have reasonable access to one, of course).

My laptop never encountered this problem, so I'm sorry that I cannot be of much use to you. I would take Osic's advice first and check the manufacturers website for driver updates that are based on your video card. It'll be the easiest possible solution, not to mention the cheapest.

Posted by loony636

Okay, there is a many ways you can increase your resolution. The first is by updating your drivers. Sometimes, old or generic drivers for a graphics cards cause the graphics card to lose the capacity it would normally have. I had this problem once...
The second is to trick your computer. Attach the computer to a CRT monitor, but say that it is in fact connected to a projector or TV. Usually, the graphics card will increase its resolution because of the size of the TV/projector compared to the size of the laptop screen.
Thirdly is to

Quoted post: ...have an updated video card installed onto the motherboard. That might be more money than the result is actually worth, though.
This may also void the warrenty.
The fourth is the most expensive, but also the most obvious, buy a new laptop. Very easy, but make sure it has a better graphics card!

Posted by Trigger

[quote=loon636]Okay, there is a many ways you can increase your resolution. The first is by updating your drivers. Sometimes, old or generic drivers for a graphics cards cause the graphics card to lose the capacity it would normally have.
This has already been said.

[quote]This may also void the warrenty.
I already pointed that out when I said...

[quote=Trigger]You may be able to, if you're willing to find out (and so long as it won't void your laptop warrenty, if any)...
Once again, this has already been said. You are about as helpful as a bit of lint.

Posted by loony636

Okay, sorry about that. I beg for forgiveness.

I was just summing up everything and adding that bit:

Quoted post: The second is to trick your computer. Attach the computer to a CRT monitor, but say that it is in fact connected to a projector or TV. Usually, the graphics card will increase its resolution because of the size of the TV/projector compared to the size of the laptop screen.

So I did add something. But sorry to trigger for just repeating what he said.

Posted by Osic

Even so when you unplug the CRT it will still go back to the old max.

Posted by loony636

Not necissarily, if you leave the setting at CRT, rather than at the normal laptop screen, then it will keep the new max.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Looney636]sorry to trigger for just repeating what he said.
I'm a 'she', not a 'he'.

Posted by loony636

How the hell was I supposed to know. Trigger is a pretty mutual name.

Posted by Trigger

Calm down, I was merely informing you of my gender so you don't get it wrong in the future. Perhaps next time if you don't know, use a word that doesn't restrict to a certain gender. "Sorry to Trigger for just repeating what they said", for example.

Posted by Osic

Quoting loony636: Not necissarily, if you leave the setting at CRT, rather than at the normal laptop screen, then it will keep the new max.

The computer can tell what monitor its connected to. The monitor provides the supported resolutions and refresh rates to the video card and the video card wont stray from these instructions. When you have the LCD (built in) and CRT (external) the video card can see both monitors and knows they are different. changing the resolution on the CRT will not change the resolution on the LCD. Therefore the CRT will effectivly do nothing at all. And as i said you LCD is designed for the 800x600 resolution, anything else except 1600x1200 will look bad anyway.

Posted by Trigger

Quoting Osic: And as i said you LCD is designed for the 800x600 resolution, anything else except 1600x1200 will look bad anyway.

That really depends on the actual size of the monitor. Sometimes 1024x768 can be decent. Not to mention that font readability can be improved if the user ran Windows XP and chose ClearType for their screen font smoothing. You're right for the most part though and as I said to the user before, "the smaller the screen, the lower the resolution should be". It all really comes down to what the native resolution is for the screen in use.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Trigger: Sometimes 1024x768 can be decent. Not to mention that font readability can be improved if the user ran Windows XP and chose ClearType for their screen font smoothing.

I have Windows XP and I use 1024x768 all the time. Its great! I used all the way back in Windows 95. It was great then too.

Quoting Osic: The computer can tell what monitor its connected to.

That's not always the case. I can trick my computer (and a lot of other computers) into thinking its connected to a bigger screen. Its easy, just tell the computer that it should listen to what you say its connected to, not what it thinks its connected to.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=looney636]I have Windows XP and I use 1024x768 all the time. Its great! I used all the way back in Windows 95. It was great then too.
Good for you, go hug a rainbow.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Trigger: Good for you, go hug a rainbow.

He's just backing up your post, there's no reason to be cynical.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Install or update your video driver. That should allow for more resolution.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Trigger: Good for you, go hug a rainbow.

But I already hug rainbows, I hug them so much it hurts. I don't think I should hug another one, just in case I do some permanent damage.

Posted by higbvuyb

If it's useless, and if it's not funny, don't post it.

Posted by loony636

Why thank you higbvuyb for making that point. That means we should delete all of your posts.

Posted by Trigger

Both of you should take this little squabble to PM instead of making one, giant irony.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Yeah the constant bickering is lame and is making you both look like trolls.

Posted by higbvuyb

Agreed.