Pushing it.

Posted by Killer Jordo

My hard-drive that is! YEah. I'm pushing it right to the edge. Is their anyway that I can sort of 'lighten' my hard drives usage? By still going on the computer?

Posted by Trigger

Defragmentation, defragmentation, defragmentation.

Posted by Killer Jordo

I defrag my computer every thursday night. Should I do it more often now?

Posted by Trigger

Once a week is most likely fine. Indexing your harddrive may also be better, but that depends entirely on how often you actually use the search function. In all honesty, your harddrive will always use itself a fair amount and always spin regardless of whether you're using it or noth (unless you set power management to turn it of after a certain amount of inactivity time). If you can keep your system clean of rubbish and ensure that files don't become defragmented, you'll find your hard drives heads won't have to go back and forth all over the hard drive to collect small pieces of one large file. Instead, it can read the large file in one contiguous sweep from start to finish, which is better for the drive and increases speed response and performance.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Thanks alot Tigger.

Posted by JonMB

What do you mean you're pushing it? Like, your amount of storage?

Hmm, either way, Trigger answered you well.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting JonMB: What do you mean you're pushing it? Like, your amount of storage?

Hmm, either way, Trigger answered you well.

I'm pushing it right to the edge of it's life. It's going to go soon, I just don't have the money for a new one right now. So I'm trying to get all the life out of it as I can.

Posted by Klarth

How can you tell that it's near the egde of its life? Is it spinning irregularly, making a gnashing noise or spitting flames?

Or are you just experiencing software symptoms?

Posted by Trigger

I'm sure he is aware of just how old the hard drive is. It wouldn't surprise me if his drive is near ten years old - I had a ten year old Maxtor hard drive that served me well and sounded fine and then it just died. Hard drives usually have a life expectancy of around three to five years.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Mines about 8 years old. I've had this computer from before I was born. And Klarth, it is making gnashing noises.

Edit: Brother sent me a new hard-drive he got from work. Ya for me =D