Pee Es Three "Wii Killer"

Posted by Hyper

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/ps3secrethardwarerevealed.shtml

[quote] A story suggesting that an Eye-Toy like innovation may be Sony's secret weapon for the PS3 has landed on our news desk and since the origin is a reliable source which we call a MegaGames friend, we have to mention it.

In a time when everyone is heaping praise, and rightly so, on Nintendo for innovating and daring to be alternative, many have forgotten that Sony has a proven record of fresh ideas including the introduction of Eye Toy which all of its rivals will be using in some shape or form in their new consoles. This news seems to tie-in well with the Sony's innovative side and with the idea that the Japanese giant had to have an ace somewhere up its sleeve.

The message we received started with a rather ambitious claim, ...what is the unrevealed connection between PS3 and Minority Report? We scratched our heads, called a meeting and remembering Kaz Hirai's enthusiasm at E3 the answer was obvious; stiff acting by both casts, right? It seems there is more to it than that as the correct answer comes from Sony's involvement with Prime Sense, a new Israeli company that claims to be operating in stealth mode. The new company claims to have patent-pending technology that can ...reconstruct 3D topography without assuming anything about the user or environmental conditions.

If you are still unclear as to how that ties in with Sony, maybe the full description of the technology by Prime Sense will light that bulb over your head.
Prime Sense

Posted by Ant

Sounds like virtual reality basically.
If this is true, wouldn't they had come out with this during E3?

Posted by Boner

Interesting article. But, it still leaves much to the imagination. I'll wait to get excited until I see an actual final product.

Posted by nich

So Eye Toy version 2.0? Sounds cool I guess, but as far as I can tell all the problems of the Eye Toy will still be present. I'm interested to know if this is actually true or not and how it applies to games.

Posted by Red

interesting. now that I think of it eyetoy did have alot of bugs that needed to be worked out, this should help improve them.

[quote=nich]So Eye Toy version 2.0? Sounds cool I guess, but as far as I can tell all the problems of the Eye Toy will still be present
this could be true, eyetoy will never be 100% and if this is true for all we know it may not even be that great of an improvement

[quote=Ant]Sounds like virtual reality basically.
If this is true, wouldn't they had come out with this during E3? this article gave me the impression that PS3 was trying to keep this secret, so it may be a surprise for people. purhaps this is why we've heard nothing about it until now... ... ...or it could be a false article :(

Posted by s0ul

Eh... seems like they'd get all the hype they could out of E3 while everybody's watching them. Smells fishy to me. [spoiler]lolfishysmells[/spoiler]

Posted by Red

you got a good point, I'm just hoping it's a true a new improved eyetoy would be great.

Posted by Fate

If it is virtual reality, it's more than I could've ever hoped for.

Posted by Bebop

Sounds interesting if its true. But the article is misleadng bu using Minortiy Report, where in the film the user interacted with holograms of somekind. Unless this device does the sound, which it sounds it doesnt, it would be like using the exisitng Eye Toy to select menus. Its not vitrual reality.

But Sony [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58hfb9ZxzK8&search=eye%20toy%20ps3]already showed off their new Eye Toy[/url]

Posted by Roxas23857

I just hope that you don't have to use the eye toy. I( this is my thing)just didn't really like the eye toy I hope you don't have to use it for a lot of games. Mainly because it was to hard to understand somethings about it. Maybe I'll like it if they upgrade it a lot so that it's better.

Posted by sniper

I am almost positive this is fake, or greatly exaggerated. They wouldn't be focusing so much on the controller if they had something like this to reveal.

Posted by TendoAddict

I would say this is hype over why sony could possibly fail so badly at E3.

If Ps3 had anything that close to what we think Virtual reality is they would of showed it. If they do then they made another bad move. E3 is a big event and now it will take tons of money to get such an Idea main stream.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting TendoAddict: If Ps3 had anything that close to what we think Virtual reality is they would of showed it. If they do then they made another bad move. E3 is a big event and now it will take tons of money to get such an Idea main stream.

Or they could just wait until the next E3, or the one after that, when they'll probably have something that actually shows the technology. If you recall, the Wii remote wasn't unveiled at E3, but at the Tokyo Game Show. Assuming the whole thing is something Sony is pursuing seriously, then there's no guarantee they have anything done other than research on what Prime Sense is up to, if anything. The article didn't state Sony has actually created a device using the technology, but that it apparently has plans to do so based on Prime Sense's concept of how such a device would work.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]Or they could just wait until the next E3, or the one after that, when they'll probably have something that actually shows the technology.

That would be a good point if the articals trusted source didnt say it would be at launch.

"Our source became even more specific claiming that the add-on will be available for the PS3 on the console's global release in mid November while Logitech will come up with a PC version a few months later."

[quote]If you recall, the Wii remote wasn't unveiled at E3, but at the Tokyo Game Show.
True but it was then fully introduced at E3. Theirs nothing like E3 where the EyE Toy can get neerly introduced to the wrold as the Wiimote did. Assuming of course the source is correct and November is release.

[quote]Assuming the whole thing is something Sony is pursuing seriously, then there's no guarantee they have anything done other than research on what Prime Sense is up to, if anything.

Well if its going out on launch in NovemberI would hope their a some what far into the project. :cookie:

Ok, seriosuly. The "Source" said it was going out at launch. Now if it doesnt this would weaken creadibility. If it does and eye toy is like what the artical is like then sony has some Splaining to do.

Posted by Klarth

This sounds:

- Complicated
- Clumsy
- Like some kind of hoax.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting TendoAddict: Ok, seriosuly. The "Source" said it was going out at launch. Now if it doesnt this would weaken creadibility. If it does and eye toy is like what the artical is like then sony has some Splaining to do.

I'm taking the article with a grain of salt, pondering on the possibilities. It is true that if Sony had something terribly innovative cooking for the PS3, they would've mentioned it at this year's E3. Since they didn't, and if it isn't a hoax, then the next likely possibility is that it's too soon for them to be giving out any information because they just haven't done much with it. That means this device would not be available at launch, contrary to what Megagames "source" found out. One thing to keep in mind is that release dates in the game industry are the most fragile of things, with a strong likelihood to be changed from one day to the next. I'm betting, assuming the info is real, that the source found out Sony originally planned the device to be released at launch, but likely changed its mind as a result of new development challenges, like it usually happens in this business.

Either way, there's little info on this to make an accurate assessment, and unless a more well known, respectable source says anything about this, I won't think much of it.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Big Boss]
Either way, there's little info on this to make an accurate assessment, and unless a more well known, respectable source says anything about this, I won't think much of it.[/color]

Good point, best not take anything to fact with out bigger names behind it.

Yet the more I read this source the more I think its BS or that they shouldnt be talking about this.

They said the military is interested in it. IMO you dont just talk about that stuff if its a lie or shaky.

But still , grain of salt : /

Posted by MottaTheHutt

It seems like a hoax. Especially since there seems to be absolutely no footage of even beta-versions of the hardware.

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting Ant: Sounds like virtual reality basically.

PS9, of course.

Posted by Speedfreak

PS3 online will be an Xbox Live killer. No, really!

Posted by Klarth

Why is it that in this day and age there isn't a single time that a rival, new-to-the-scene "product X" isn't a "Y killer"?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Klarth: Why is it that in this day and age there isn't a single time that a rival, new-to-the-scene "product X" isn't a "Y killer"?

Because saying " It will do good competiton with the Current competitor available" doesnt draw much attention?

If you want to sell you'r item better then you'r competitor you have to play hard ball.