Do you think religion is important?

Posted by Xenos

I am asking this question for a class ... so help me out here and respond. Important for humans/society in general for those of you who are confused what I mean. Not necessarily on a personal level.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Yes, religion is important. We all need to belive in something. What you happen to believe in is no importance to me. We all need hope, we all need something to rely on. And I think religion gives us all that.

Posted by mis0

I'm saying yes more to spirituality than religion, per se. I'm obviously very biased, holding beliefs and having my own experiences here, but without religion, I think that people would often care much less about their improvement, etc.

Posted by Crazy K

I believe in religion, but I never go by it every day of my life. But other then that, I think religion is what you wan't it to be.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Yes! It keeps the inferiors in line!

But seriously, yes. It's what gives people their driving force, no matter their belief.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Killer Jordo: Yes, religion is important. We all need to belive in something. What you happen to believe in is no importance to me. We all need hope, we all need something to rely on. And I think religion gives us all that.

Spirituality gives us hope. Religion gives us wars.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Raptor: Spirituality gives us hope. Religion gives us wars.

Most major religions (Christianity (New Testament), Islam, etc) do not actually encu=ourage such violence. Often, it is a political leader (or terrorist) exploiting a religion/believers of a religion that are gullible and using the religion as an excuse to do violence. Take the New Testament. It basically says, forgive people, don't take revenge, be a good person, etc, nowhere does it say, "Kill all Muslims/Buddhists/Hindus/noobs, etc". However, several wars have been fought in the name of' Christianity.

If everyone actually upheld the values in the New Testament, for example, such things would not happen. There are actually many people who have done good things due to their religion.

Posted by Xqars

That's a good question. What class was this for? Anyways, religion can be bad. It's caused wars and has gotten many people killed. So many innocent people were killed just because they didn't believe in a certain religion. And they died painfully.

But religion can be good. Because of religion, America was formed. Pilgrims came over to America searching for freedom of religion. Also, a lot of people need something to believe in. It gives them hope and something to live for. I thought of it one time like this. What if there was no heaven? Then that means people would live through their lives, trying to help others, and when they died, instead of going to heaven for their good deeds (i don't always sound like this) they just blacked out and their exsistance was meaningless.

(Stop reading if you don't want to hear my personal opinion)
As for me, I value religion. But I've thought about that heaven not exsisting thing and thought it is way better to live on after death. A lot more encouraging. But I've questioned the exsistance of *** and decided I would still probably live doing good things for people and helping without an afterlife. But for most people, heaven gives them hope.
Religion also makes these people who try to shove their beliefs down your throat. In my old Sunday school class, I hated that ***** teacher because whenever I questioned one of her opinions with my own belief, she wouldn't stop trying to make me believe her beliefs until class was over. I was awarded the class leader because I debated with that ***** the most and usually got my peers to go on my side.

Whoa, sorry that was so long. I love these questions. I'm doing Advance Speech and Debate in fall. Hope I helped Xenos.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Xqars: I thought of it one time like this. What if there was no heaven? Then that means people would live through their lives, trying to help others, and when they died, instead of going to heaven for their good deeds (i don't always sound like this) they just blacked out and their exsistance was meaningless.

existence

Wait, how was their existence meaningless if they helped so many others along the way and performed so many good deeds? I believe the entire concept of heaven is a crock of ****. Even if I knew my soul was to die with my body, as long as I helped my loved ones live a long, enjoyable, and prosperous life while living one myself, I would consider my existence to have been a very meaningful one regardless whether there was an "afterlife" for me or not.

Posted by Xqars

Quoting Raptor: Wait, how was their existence meaningless if they helped so many others along the way and performed so many good deeds? I believe the entire concept of heaven is a crock of ****. Even if I knew my soul was to die with my body, as long as I helped my loved ones live a long, enjoyable, and prosperous life while living one myself, I would consider my existence to have been a very meaningful one regardless whether there was an "afterlife" for me or not.

Well, that's what I think. As long as I help out my friends, family, and others, it's worth is because I make them happy and I feel good. But I can understand how some people would think their lives would be meaningless if they would suddenly black out. If they believe in ***, they believe he would reward their good deeds with a peaceful afterlife. As I've said, my beliefs in *** have been questioned.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Religion is for people too weak to deal with life by themselves, who feel they need some sort of universal big brother watching over them.

Posted by Bebop

No. Why do we need something that doesnt exist amirite?

Any morals religion teaches can be taught elsewhere. I think its completely useless.

[quote=Xqars]But religion can be good. Because of religion, America was formed.

LOL OXYMORON AMIRITE?

Posted by nich

Yes. People can easily find acceptance in religion and it offers structure at the most troubling times. The reasons I personally don't agree with it have already been said.

Posted by keyartist

Quoting Lord of Spam: Religion is for people too weak to deal with life by themselves, who feel they need some sort of universal big brother watching over them.

Not true its for those who know the truth. You proably don't like it because you yourself know some of the things you do is wrong so if you don't belive in it then your not doing anything wrong.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting keyartist: Not true its for those who know the truth. You proably don't like it because you yourself know some of the things you do is wrong so if you don't belive in it then your not doing anything wrong.

For your own benefit, I offer you this advice:

DO NOT TRY TO ARGUE RELIGION/PHILOSOPHY WITH ME. I WILL OWN YOU. I WILL RAPE YOUR CORPSE LIKE PYRAMID HEAD. I WILL OWN YOU LIKE A 1800's SLAVE OWNER. I WILL... well, you get the drift. Just dont, k? There are a few people on this board that would beat me. You are not one of them.

Posted by keyartist

ok what ever

Posted by Bebop

Quoting keyartist: Not true its for those who know the truth. You proably don't like it because you yourself know some of the things you do is wrong so if you don't belive in it then your not doing anything wrong.

Disagree. I know theres thing I do which I consider wrong. But thats not why I dont beleive in religion. Just becuase someone doesnt beleive in religioin doesnt mean they cant accept guilt.

Some people say people beleive in religion to help them cope with their mortality.
Some people make fun of religion to help them cope with their mortallity.

Posted by keyartist

I didn't mean it like that.

Posted by Speedfreak

Spirituality, pah. Just restrained insanity. I'm capable of hope and I don't even know the meaning of the word "spirituality".

Religion is useful for keeping idiots in check, but it's far too useful an excuse for intelligent people to rape, pillage and murder.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting keyartist: I didn't mean it like that.

What would be really helpful is if you explained yourself the first time, rather than getting other people to make sarcastic comments following your meaningless 1 liners.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting keyartist: Not true its for those who know the truth.

And the truth is...?

Posted by nich

Quoting Speedfreak: Religion is useful for keeping idiots in check, but it's far too useful an excuse for intelligent people to rape, pillage and murder.

That's true, religion is excellent crowd control.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'm not saying that religion doesnt do a lot of good. What I'm saying is that it isnt NEEDED to do good.

Posted by Halo Lover

Quoting Xqars: That's a good question. What class was this for? Anyways, religion can be bad. It's caused wars and has gotten many people killed. So many innocent people were killed just because they didn't believe in a certain religion. And they died painfully.

But religion can be good. Because of religion, America was formed. Pilgrims came over to America searching for freedom of religion. Also, a lot of people need something to believe in. It gives them hope and something to live for. I thought of it one time like this. What if there was no heaven? Then that means people would live through their lives, trying to help others, and when they died, instead of going to heaven for their good deeds (i don't always sound like this) they just blacked out and their exsistance was meaningless.

(Stop reading if you don't want to hear my personal opinion)
As for me, I value religion. But I've thought about that heaven not exsisting thing and thought it is way better to live on after death. A lot more encouraging. But I've questioned the exsistance of *** and decided I would still probably live doing good things for people and helping without an afterlife. But for most people, heaven gives them hope.
Religion also makes these people who try to shove their beliefs down your throat. In my old Sunday school class, I hated that ***** teacher because whenever I questioned one of her opinions with my own belief, she wouldn't stop trying to make me believe her beliefs until class was over. I was awarded the class leader because I debated with that ***** the most and usually got my peers to go on my side.

Whoa, sorry that was so long. I love these questions. I'm doing Advance Speech and Debate in fall. Hope I helped Xenos.

That was the gayest response you noob. Go **** yourself.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Halo Lover: That was the gayest response you noob. Go **** yourself.

Since I can't derep you (too much in past 24 hours. :( ), I have to say that you are the most ****ing stupid person in this topic.

What are your views on religion/sprituality? What? You did not bring any? Then shut the **** up.

And talk about noob. He is at least taking the time to look like he has at least 14 brain cells. And you just proved you had maybe one by being hypocritical, seeing as how you just joined and this is your first post.

So please, go elsewhere and never show yourself again.

Posted by Xenos

Quoted post: That's a good question. What class was this for?

Religion14B. Even though you are banned and probably won't read this.

Posted by Red

indeed religion is important, but sometimes I tend to find myself questioning my own faith. in my life religion isn't important but religion in general IS important

Posted by Kanashuri

I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure—that is all that agnosticism means.
-Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial, 1925

To have a positive religion is not necessary. To be in harmony with yourself and the universe is what counts, and this is possible without positive and specific formulation in words.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
-Thomas Paine

Our ***s are dead. Ancient Klingon warriors slew them a millennia ago. They were...more trouble than they were worth.
-Worf, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, “Homefront”

Jesus hates you
-Kanashuri

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Kanashuri: I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure—that is all that agnosticism means.
-Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial, 1925

To have a positive religion is not necessary. To be in harmony with yourself and the universe is what counts, and this is possible without positive and specific formulation in words.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
-Thomas Paine

Jesus hates you
-Kanashuri

In the words of Porcupine Tree, "they took my money and I lost my faith..."

So much associated with actual religions is bull****, but beyond all the ridiculous little morals and superficial claptrap, they also profess a certain amount of wisdom one can truly use to improve himself, and some of the stories can be quite fascinating. When it comes to religions in general, I don't deny everything associated with them completely, but take what good I can and completely disregard the bad, no matter how often it is shoved in my face.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Halo Lover: That was the gayest response you noob. Go **** yourself.

This is a serious thread. Take it seriously, or GTFO, XBitch.

Posted by Kanashuri

Quoting Misoxeny: This is a serious thread. Take it seriously, or GTFO, XBitch.

PWNT!!

I agree with you raptor and about what you said...kinda. I only scimmed through it.

Posted by Trigger

No, if that were so, I would have a religion. As it stands, I do not.

Posted by Linko_16

I'd like to say I place importance on my religion, but I don't. I haven't been to church since Christmas and I can't remember the last time I've ever prayed to G[color=indigo]od or included Him in my life. Really, I don't think religion is important at all. Far more important than religion is your life and how you live it. Ideally, religion should be just that: a guideline to living your life harmoniously, as a higher power would have you do. Let's face it, though; plenty of people say and do horrible things in God's name. Now, doing what you can everyday to help your fellow man and make the world a better place in whatever big or smalls ways on the road ahead of you... if that's not the path God would have us follow, then He can kiss my ass.[/color]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Lord of Spam: Religion is for people too weak to deal with life by themselves, who feel they need some sort of universal big brother watching over them.

atheism is for people too narrow-minded, stubborn and headstrong-arrogant to admit that there is a possibility that there is a being higher than they are, because the idea that they aren't the apex of existence is just too big a peice of humble pie for some of these arrogant pricks to swallow.

see, I can play that stupid generalization-insult game too

I like religion. I like adding flavor to the stew that is the humdrum human nature. Some of the greatest and worst things in this world have been done on the coat-tails of religious zeal, or from outright fanaticism, but by the same token I think a mix of common-sense is the necessary ingredient to splash in alongside spirituality to make a big ol Utopian Gumbo. Me, personally, yes, religion is very important. It's always in the back of my mind at any given time, and keeps me from being a TOTAL dick to the weaker minded people with whom my influence could be used for evil. That's a way of looking at it, really. Religion keeps people in line. Before anyone interjects and says "WELL I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS RELIGIOUS AND IS A (whatever)" keep in mind, there are people whose virtue relies solely on the concept of salvation, and therefore it can be argued that it is a success. By the same token, yes, there are fanatics who do evil in the name of religion. But that's always been. Stalin was raised to be a priest, yet rebelled against religion, vehemently hated it, and orchestrated the largest mass-tryannical genocide to date, all in the name of agnostic support for the state. Why no backlash against atheists? I could arguably use that as a springboard for an anti-agnostic front (lol, liek the band!) and say "hai u jerks, stalin killd all thez people in teh name of Atheism!!" but I don't. Why? Because to label an entire following of people as being "brainwashed" or an entire religion as being "hateful" is simply idiotic. Sadly, I'm one of the few (including people here) WHO REALIZES the OBVIOUS. . .OBVIOUSNESSNESS of this. The Roman Empire, pre-christianity, conquered and enslaved Greeks, Gauls, Germans, Britons, and Africans (not all were conquered, but a bunch were slaughtered!) in the name of Paganism, but why aren't you all lashing out at wiccans and Pagans? Hindus and Muslims and Buddhists have been waging wars in the East for centuries, but somehow that misses the scope. Where are your anti-Buddha signatures and quips? Be consistent, people. In closing... religion is a beautiful thing, much like government, marriage, "love", procreation, and cheesecake, but like all of these facets of humanity, it can be abused, exhalted too highly (omg cheesecake) or bent around a tyrant's finger. Important? Um, yes. Only an uneducated dip**** would say religion isn't important (omg generalization, but I am confident this one is right). A complete ignorance on religions makes one a blind man in a world powered by religious zeal. You can be naive and pretend it isn't a major gear in the motor that runs the globe, but like I said, you're just being naive.

paragraphs are for pansies, by the way.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: atheism is for people too narrow-minded, stubborn and headstrong-arrogant to admit that there is a possibility that there is a being higher than they are, because the idea that they aren't the apex of existence is just too big a peice of humble pie for some of these arrogant pricks to swallow.

Just curious(honestly), have you yourself considered that there may in fact not be a ***?

Oh, and I agree with what Linko said lol.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Raptor: In the words of Porcupine Tree, "they took my money and I lost my faith..."
Porcupine looooooove..!

It's not important to me personally, and though lots of bad has come out of religion, lots of good has come out of it too. I don't think the world would be as nice a place if it weren't for religion, and in some ways it would be nicer too. It's an important part of the world we live in, and things would be very different if it didn't exist. But it's not important to me nor the way I live my life. So it depends on how you define important.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]atheism is for people too narrow-minded, stubborn and headstrong-arrogant to admit that there is a possibility that there is a being higher than they are,

oll, you're already wrong. An athiest is one who accepts that there is no proof of a higher existence. Which there isn't. No substantial proof whatsoever. And there's no reason to believe in something, according to athiests, if there is no proof for it. It has absolutely nothing to do with thinking you're king of the universe.

Regardless, you're mostly an athiest yourself when you take into account all the deities you don't believe in.

Posted by GameMiestro

Of course religion is important. The majority of people in the world are religious, and if that isn't enough evidence, look at some of the other events that were at least partially driven by religion:

-The pyramids
-Homeric works
-The Crusades (of course this was driven by religion)
-Einstein's discoveries
-The founding of America
-The creation of laws

Quoting Bebop: No. Why do we need something that doesnt exist amirite?

Yes, religion does exist... visit a neighborhood church if you don't believe me.

[quote=Speedfreak]And there's no reason to believe in something, according to athiests, if there is no proof for it.

Erm, detect any hypocrisy there? Like, since there's no proof in there not being a ***.

[quote]Even if I knew my soul was to die with my body, as long as I helped my loved ones live a long, enjoyable, and prosperous life while living one myself, I would consider my existence to have been a very meaningful one regardless whether there was an "afterlife" for me or not.

Your accomplishments will be forgotten, your loved ones will eventually die, the human race will become extinct within the next 10 million years, and the universe will eventually collapse into itself sending every human accomplishment into oblivion. Even if you were to become immortal, you still could not avoid the destruction of everything that ever mattered to you- the outcome would be the same (by the way, when you're dead, you probably won't care what your loved ones think of you). If you think that your delay of the inevitable is meaninful, then that's the sort of response one would come to expect from any cruel, selfish species living in the cosmos.

Religion is different. It suggests that humanity is more than a bunch of organic compounds trying to drive their cohorts ahead on the evolutionary scale. It suggests that something unusual, something unplanned, something special happened on the planet we live on. It sugggests that we are self-conscious, self-acting biengs- seperate entities, if you will- and explains this with ***s and divine intervention. If this isn't important, I don't know what is.

You can say that religion is right, you can say that it's wrong. But if you say that it's not important, you just sound stupid.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=GameMiestro]Erm, detect any hypocrisy there? Like, since there's no proof in there not being a ***.

No, it's not hypocritical in the slightest. If you say something exists then you carry the burdon of proof, not the other way around. Even so, a lot of religion has been proven false. For example, Adam and Eve is b[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]llshit.

Otherwise I set you the challenge of proving I'm not one of Saturn's moons.

Posted by s0ul

It's influential, yes, but it's hardly crucial/important. And discovering America was not religious. It drove some Brits over here, but finding it was an entirely different story, and settlement would have happened just the same without religion (referring specifically to this event, obviously history would be much different without religion).

Anything that encourages less independent thinking is not a good thing. Having beliefs is good, taking somebody else's beliefs and living your life like a chore is not.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: No, it's not hypocritical in the slightest. If you say something exists then you carry the burdon of proof, not the other way around. Even so, a lot of religion has been proven false. For example, Adam and Eve is b[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]llshit.

Actually, anyone knowledgeable about Catholic church doctrine knows that the 2 creation stories were written, or collected, during the Hebrew exile into Assyria (i think), which was called the "Deaspra". These stories were gathered to raise moral all around, after the nation of israel had been wiped off the face of the planet!

They're also myths! (Read: Story used to reveal a sacred truth!)

:cookie: The more you know!

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting s0ul: It's influential, yes, but it's hardly crucial/important. And discovering America was not religious.

[quote]at least partially influenced by religion

I would think so, unless all those textbooks were wrong.

[quote]No, it's not hypocritical in the slightest. If you say something exists then you carry the burdon of proof, not the other way around. Even so, a lot of religion has been proven false. For example, Adam and Eve is bull****.

There are quite a few religions that don't believe in the Adam and Eve story... even strictly with religious evidence, there's a lot in the Adam and Eve story that couldn't be true. I don't agree that you don't need evidence in order to prove something false... in order to disprove something, you need proof that the given idea must be false. For example, if you assumed that if there was a ***, everything would be blue, and then you found something that was green, than that's very compelling evidence that there isn't a ***, even more so than just saying "*** doesn't exist".

[quote]Otherwise I set you the challenge of proving I'm not one of Saturn's moons.

Reminds me of geometry proofs... Do I get extra credit?

Posted by keyartist

Religion is based on beliefs, you don't need facts to prove your self. As the old saying goes if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound. Yes because if somebody where around to hear it it would. Or if you see something with your own eyes and we you tell people about it and they belive you its because you trust them, and they maybe never gave a reason to not trust you. So religon is important, what reasons have the bible gave you to not trust it?

Posted by Shin-Ra

This is kind of a "god is dead" stance, so if you already know that argument, ignore this.

In the beginning, yes I believe religion was important. Creating it helped people form basic doctrines on how to reach the ideal self and society and preached consequence. Many of those same common laws obtained from various religions are still present today in our own constitutions, and since society and knowledge have grown since the early times, I don't think religion is important or even relevant in today's society since we have our own laws that aide in us functioning as a working society. Simply put, we can live with the idea of death, we can scientifically explain how things work, and we can enforce stability in our culture without attributing things to some all-powerful, higher being with no real explanation or reason other than answers and punishment.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting keyartist: Religion is based on beliefs, you don't need facts to prove your self. As the old saying goes if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound. Yes because if somebody where around to hear it it would. Or if you see something with your own eyes and we you tell people about it and they belive you its because you trust them, and they maybe never gave a reason to not trust you. So religon is important, what reasons have the bible gave you to not trust it?

How are you completely sure that the tree makes a sound? Where you there to hear it? Nope. :)

And if I were to go up to my best friend, who trusts me with everything, and said I had a third arm sprout from my face for a few minutes, she'd laugh in my face.

And religion is important to some, absolutely retarded to others. The bible is one of the most well concieved fantasy books I've ever read. Good stories attached with a moral. It's up there with Lord of the Rings and R.A. Salvatores' books. The reason it seems so believable is because there are bits of historical truth mixed in with magic, miracles, and a gnome named Jesus. And what made me not trust the bible was not the book itself, but the "followers" of "christianity" (so many different braches and sects to accurately define it). The hypocrites, heretics, and outright retards gave me a general bad taste on that religion alone.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting SapphireRose: How are you completely sure that the tree makes a sound? Where you there to hear it? Nope.

Please don't let this turn into a "if no one showed up for Jesus' crucifixion, would anyone care?" or "if no one showed up for Jesus' crucifixion, would they have had to reschedule it". I haven't read Chuck Palahniuk in ages, but those lines got stuck in my head for some reason. /off-topic.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=GameMiestro]I would think so, unless all those textbooks were wrong.

There are quite a few religions that don't believe in the Adam and Eve story... even strictly with religious evidence, there's a lot in the Adam and Eve story that couldn't be true. I don't agree that you don't need evidence in order to prove something false... in order to disprove something, you need proof that the given idea must be false. For example, if you assumed that if there was a ***, everything would be blue, and then you found something that was green, than that's very compelling evidence that there isn't a ***, even more so than just saying "*** doesn't exist".

Reminds me of geometry proofs... Do I get extra credit?

For something to be disproven, it must first be proven. Disproving is the removal of something's proven status.

To use your example, there would have to be strong evidence to suggest that everything is, in fact, blue. It would have evidence for it, and it's possible to test it.

In the case of religion, there is zero evidence for it and no possible way to test it. It is, therefore, unproven. Saying religion must be proven false is exactly like saying the existence of fairies must be proven false, fairies being creatures that disappear when anyone gets near.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

you people are flipping stupid. I don't believe that first paragraph I typed in my response, I merely summed up a bunch of generalizations and knee-jerk reactions into one asnine rant in order to illustrate to LoS the stupidity of what he said. Pardon my ATHEISM, but Christ you people are daft for thinking so highly of yourselves. I used it, AS A VISUAL AIDE. VISUAL AIDE, PEOPLE.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Speedfreak: No, it's not hypocritical in the slightest. If you say something exists then you carry the burdon of proof, not the other way around. Even so, a lot of religion has been proven false. For example, Adam and Eve is b[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]llshit.

Otherwise I set you the challenge of proving I'm not one of Saturn's moons.

that's silly. If you're going to outright deny something that's been around for 2000 years, that being *** and Jesus' divinity, teabagging the beliefs of billions upon billions of people, I think you should carry the burden of proof as well. You're giving us **** for not proving ***'s existence, but we could say that the beliefs of billions of people throughout history, many of which were great philosophers and scientists, state that there is at least a reasonable doubt. Miracles, testimonies, etc, all say that there is a reasonable doubt. What we come to is a middle ground. I, personally, can't prove He does exist, butyou cannot prove that he doesn't. I'd say that in using backup of thousands of years of tradition and testimony, I have a very good defense for ***'s existence, and I demand that you disprove it. You're no better off than I am, you're just too proud to admit that you're in the same boat as I am and that boat isn't going anywhere.

I can respect agnosticism, but atheism is, in my view, childish ignorance.

in other news I'm reading a book on existentialism and it's delightful

Posted by keyartist

Quoting SapphireRose: How are you completely sure that the tree makes a sound? Where you there to hear it? Nope. :)

And if I were to go up to my best friend, who trusts me with everything, and said I had a third arm sprout from my face for a few minutes, she'd laugh in my face.

And religion is important to some, absolutely retarded to others. The bible is one of the most well concieved fantasy books I've ever read. Good stories attached with a moral. It's up there with Lord of the Rings and R.A. Salvatores' books. The reason it seems so believable is because there are bits of historical truth mixed in with magic, miracles, and a gnome named Jesus. And what made me not trust the bible was not the book itself, but the "followers" of "christianity" (so many different braches and sects to accurately define it). The hypocrites, heretics, and outright retards gave me a general bad taste on that religion alone.

And if it really happened then they should trust you, but if it didn't that would mean you where lying so it has nothing to do with what I said.

And for your second thought the many branches are how they interprete it, ie some are cults.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Speedfreak, I don't believe in Alexander the Great. I demand that you prove his existence. Keep in mind, ancient texts are on the same level as scriptures, and oral traditions/notoriety don't count, as they're about as worthless as a brainwashing church. Artifacts don't count either, as they're on the same level of believability as rusty pikes and sticks and other crap that they associate with saints and relics and all that. You basically can't trust anything anyone else tells you, as it may be lies made up to brainwash you. I dont' care how many people believe it, I'm telling you I'm better and smarter than them, no matter what their profession, and they're all naive and I'm the smartest em effer to ever live because I KNOW without a DOUBT because I have no PROOF (in my mind) that proves that Alexander the Great existed. I want you to prove his existence to me.

and go

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Speedfreak, I don't believe in Alexander the Great. I demand that you prove his existence. Keep in mind, ancient texts are on the same level as scriptures, and oral traditions/notoriety don't count, as they're about as worthless as a brainwashing church. Artifacts don't count either, as they're on the same level of believability as rusty pikes and sticks and other crap that they associate with saints and relics and all that. You basically can't trust anything anyone else tells you, as it may be lies made up to brainwash you. I dont' care how many people believe it, I'm telling you I'm better and smarter than them, no matter what their profession, and they're all naive and I'm the smartest em effer to ever live because I KNOW without a DOUBT because I have no PROOF (in my mind) that proves that Alexander the Great existed. I want you to prove his existence to me.

and go

OMG HOW DO I KNOW YOU EXISIT?

Posted by s0ul

Quoting GameMiestro: I would think so, unless all those textbooks were wrong.

kthx columbus was looking for india, why do you think native americans are called indians? klol

Pilgrims were escaping the king's church, they didn't find it, its discovery was not religious. They wanted ****ing spices, for Christ's sake. [spoiler]pun very intended[/spoiler]

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]Speedfreak, I don't believe in Alexander the Great. I demand that you prove his existence. Keep in mind, ancient texts are on the same level as scriptures, and oral traditions/notoriety don't count, as they're about as worthless as a brainwashing church. Artifacts don't count either, as they're on the same level of believability as rusty pikes and sticks and other crap that they associate with saints and relics and all that. You basically can't trust anything anyone else tells you, as it may be lies made up to brainwash you. I dont' care how many people believe it, I'm telling you I'm better and smarter than them, no matter what their profession, and they're all naive and I'm the smartest em effer to ever live because I KNOW without a DOUBT because I have no PROOF (in my mind) that proves that Alexander the Great existed. I want you to prove his existence to me.

and go

I don't deny the existence of a man called Jesus that lived roughly 2000 years ago. I just don't accept that he died for a symbolic sin committed by a fictional person for every single person on the planet, or that he had super powers comparable to that of Dende from DragonBall Z. As for all his other tricks, a year or two ago a couple of magicians made a TV show where they replicated all of Jesus's "miracles". I don't expect it'll be shown over there, though ;)

And funnily enough, as I type this I don't actually know who Alexander the great is. I was never into history. However, it is true that the further back in time we try to go the less we can be sure of a single person's lifestyle. Science doesn't have it in for religion, believe it or not (and history is a sort of science), it's just interested in what is correct. It's not reality's fault if religion doesn't reflect it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

If arguing on the internet is the equivalent of participating in the special olympics, then arguing about religion on the internet is like losing the special olympics: not only are you retarded, but you suck too.

That aside, I wasnt trying to single out any one religion. I think they're all silly. Yes, its true that there isnt any proof against them, but if I told you that I could sell you a magic rock that kept tigers at bay, then used the evidence that there were no tigers near you, it wouldnt exactly be convincing, would it? Religion has a lot of answers that work like that. Why are ***s actions weird and nonlogical? lol higher power you wouldnt understand. It has so many of the same traits as any of the other prehistoric creation myths that EVERY culture has that it would be, to me, silly to think of it as anything but that. Could I be wrong? Yeah, and if I am, I've a few questions for the big dude to ask rigt before he sends me to hell.

As for whether religion was important, I assumed the question was a "is it important if you want to be a good person" type thing. Otherwise, in a "has it influenced history" view, you'd have to be retarded to think it didnt.

Posted by Xenos

Religion is a strange thing, but to sum it up nicely it is like a branch of an old and ancient tree - it may be used as a spear or a crutch, perhaps a paintbrush. Each man to his own, I persume.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Raptor-I stand corrected.

Sniper- how about you post you dissent as a message so I can rip it a new one.

Speedy- I'm arguing more towards ***'s existence, not Jesus's. If you can accept that Alexander lived, or Jesus, or any for that matter, my question to you is "who are you listening to?" What basis do you have for accepting that Jesus or Alexander even LIVED? None. But you listen to the advice of betters, be they teachers or professors or what have you. You listen to educated men and their collected ideals from the past umpteen thousand years to formulate a belief that those men existed. It's arguable that Alexander the Great shaped the world. The spread of Greek politics, customs, and military strategies spread throughout the world, and many historicans attribute that to Alexander the Great (same for the Romans, ironically). Now, if it's so reasonable to believe these old wives' tales, why is it so unreasonable for intelligent people to put the same practice into following a religion? If you think we're brainwashed and simple-minded (this is primarily targeting you, LoS) then I think it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Your science is just as flawed and madeup of just as much guesswork as my religion. Additionally, I'll look into that magician thing. It'd be neat to see a guy heal a blind person and cure leprosy/raise the dead etc, as well as maybe do some really cool non-jesus stuff like parting seas and causing plagues. Is it at blockbuster you think?

okay, now the fun part

That aside, I wasnt trying to single out any one religion. so? it was still an ignorant generalization I think they're all silly. Yes, its true that there isnt any proof against them, but if I told you that I could sell you a magic rock that kept tigers at bay, then used the evidence that there were no tigers near you, it wouldnt exactly be convincing, would it? Religion has a lot of answers that work like that. Why are ***s actions weird and nonlogical? lol higher power you wouldnt understand. It has so many of the same traits as any of the other prehistoric creation myths that EVERY culture has that it would be, to me, silly to think of it as anything but that. Could I be wrong? Yeah, and if I am, I've a few questions for the big dude to ask rigt before he sends me to hell. So? Just because it's not candy-coated and easy to understand doesn't mean it's "silly" to believe it. Just because you can't wrap your mind around omniscience doesn't mean I can't try. I love how atheists are so haughty, so high and mighty, so "I'm intelligent and think you are silly for believing such a thing." Do you honestly think you are better than the likes of Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas, Albert Einstein, C.S. Lewis, Demosthenes, Blaise Pascal, James Joule, John Dalton, Gregor Mendel, Johannes Kepler, etc etc that they were all silly and throw that "I don't believe in ***, therefore I am better than you" spiel at them? I think ****ing not. See, the difference is, I think Atheism is stupid. I think that to completely deny ***'s existence is absolute absurdity, as it can't be proven. But I am NOT required to give you the burden of proof, as I'm only asking you to disprove Him because you're all taking such a haughty stance on the whole thing in regards to my beliefs. The question, originally, was

DO YOU THINK RELIGION IS IMPORTANT?

Nowhere did it ask you to chime in with your own beliefs, and scanning the first page, nobody followed the question anyways. IS. . . RELIGION. . . IMPORTANT? That is the question. The answer is yes. religion makes the world go 'round. If you don't pay attention to religion, it'll sneak up on you and bite you in the ***. I frankly don't care if you are an atheist/agnostic/pastafarian. I might chuckle at you under my breath, but I'll keep it to myself until provoked. Don't mock something you can't understand. And don't somehow think that just because you think my belief in *** is silly that you are somehow smarter or better than me (I keep getting this impression from you in particular, LoS) because I will prove you wrong.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I think that the belief can eb defended very well and eloquently, and that there have been numerous people who do so with intelligence and style.

That being said, I still dont buy it. Theres no evidence for it, and no reason to think its true. There a hundreds, if not thousands of societies that all had creation myths; theres no reason to think those were true, and the only think that sets the religion this thread seems to focus on (christianity) apart is that its still here. And dont give me that "If a lot of people think it, it must be true" bs, since there was a time when everyone thought that the earth was flat. Its not like it just popped into 3d once colubmus proved it wrong. Being a popularly held belief means nothing.

And I already said it was important in that it affects society, so :P. ALso, I dont think I'm smarter than you. Honestly. Remember back on the first page where I said there were only a few people here who could beat me? Guess what, you're one of them.

Personally, I try not to say that there is no ***, sice you're right; I cant prove it. But then again, to center my life around something that I cant prove seems just as... well, silly.:(

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'm not saying that you have to believe it simply because others do, I'm just saying that you can't completely write it off as idiocy when such a huge number of people over the past thousands years have believed it. It's like saying they're all morons and you're not or something. You don't have to believe, but I think if you expect me to respect others' beliefs, then they should respect mine as well (a standard many of the left-leaning alignment tend to forget these days). Plus your title rules. Down with vaginers

Posted by Speedfreak

On the whole, athiests and religious people are pretty much the same. Saying a typical athiest is someone that thinks they're above everyone else is precisely like saying a typical Christian thinks all non-Christians are "lost sheep" that need to be "saved".

As for the original question "Is Religion important?", I figured it meant "is religion important to you?". It's an insanely vague question. In one sense it is important because most people are religious, so when talking about religion you are talking about the beliefs of most people. Religion is important culturally.
In another sense it's quite insignificant, it's perfectly possible to live as a respectable, responsible and valuable human being without any religion whatsoever. Religion is unimportant as a guide to life, in my opinion.

Posted by Xenos

Quoted post: I am asking this question for a class ... so help me out here and respond. Important for humans/society in general for those of you who are confused what I mean. Not necessarily on a personal level.

;)

Posted by The Judge

While Government aptly replaces religion in terms of keeping a community together and working, religion instills moral values. Also, many people need faith in something that tells them where they're going after they die and tells them a way to live, or they'd be either dead already or menaces to society.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I'm not saying that you have to believe it simply because others do, I'm just saying that you can't completely write it off as idiocy when such a huge number of people over the past thousands years have believed it. It's like saying they're all morons and you're not or something. You don't have to believe, but I think if you expect me to respect others' beliefs, then they should respect mine as well (a standard many of the left-leaning alignment tend to forget these days). Plus your title rules. Down with vaginers

I thought that you were trying to use the fact that a lot fo people think it as evidence for it being real... in which case I brought up the earth is flat thing (hell, some people still believe that). I wasnt saying anything other than you cant use the fact that people believe it as evidence. That assumes that its true, then uses that assumption as evidence.:(

also up with penises lol innuendo

Also, xeno owned with selfquoting.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz]Your science is just as flawed and madeup of just as much guesswork as my religion.
What the hell no its not? Science states the sky is blue oh snap its guesswork. BITTER LIES!

[quote]Additionally, I'll look into that magician thing. It'd be neat to see a guy heal a blind person and cure leprosy/raise the dead etc, as well as maybe do some really cool non-jesus stuff like parting seas and causing plagues. Is it at blockbuster you think?

The magicians copIed some of Jesus supposed super mutant powers, not all. And they defiently didnt waste their time on a bum like Moses. I can only remember two tricks, turning water into wine and walking on water. And besides, Jesus never cured leoprosy. : That aside, I wasnt trying to single out any one religion. so? it was still an ignorant generalization I think they're all silly. Yes, its true that there isnt any proof against them, but if I told you that I could sell you a magic rock that kept tigers at bay, then used the evidence that there were no tigers near you, it wouldnt exactly be convincing, would it?

It would depend if there were tigers around before hand. But if this magical rock of yours did deflect tigers THAN I WILL BUY IT GOOD SIR.

[quote]That is the question. The answer is yes. religion makes the world go 'round. If you don't pay attention to religion, it'll sneak up on you and bite you in the ***. I frankly don't care if you are an atheist/agnostic/pastafarian. I might chuckle at you under my breath, but I'll keep it to myself until provoked. Don't mock something you can't understand. And don't somehow think that just because you think my belief in *** is silly that you are somehow smarter or better than me (I keep getting this impression from you in particular, LoS) because I will prove you wrong.

I disagree. And from the sound of this paragraph your basically saying 'Im right your wrong' which is what every religious person and/or terrorist would say. I dont need religion to tell me that adultury is wrong. I dont need an all powefrul *** to tell me I shouldnt kill. I dont need ancient text books to tell me to fly planes into buildings. In my opinion the only thing religion really teaches is what the after life will be like, but considering there are over 300 differnt relgions, with a million more interpretations how would anyone know which is telling the true story? BOO RELIGION HISS BOO BOO HISS!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Bebop: What the hell no its not? Science states the sky is blue oh snap its guesswork. BITTER LIES!

The magicians copIed some of Jesus supposed super mutant powers, not all. And they defiently didnt waste their time on a bum like Moses. I can only remember two tricks, turning water into wine and walking on water. And besides, Jesus never cured leoprosy. ;)

It would depend if there were tigers around before hand. But if this magical rock of yours did deflect tigers THAN I WILL BUY IT GOOD SIR.

I disagree. And from the sound of this paragraph your basically saying 'Im right your wrong' which is what every religious person and/or terrorist would say. I dont need religion to tell me that adultury is wrong. I dont need an all powefrul *** to tell me I shouldnt kill. I dont need ancient text books to tell me to fly planes into buildings. In my opinion the only thing religion really teaches is what the after life will be like, but considering there are over 300 differnt relgions, with a million more interpretations how would anyone know which is telling the true story? BOO RELIGION HISS BOO BOO HISS!

I'm right, you're wrong.

Posted by Speedfreak

I must say, I am curious as to how you came to the conclusion that Christianity is right and every other religion is wrong without resorting to some kind of science. Unless you just decided it feels right, which I would quite frankly have to call bollocks on.

Every religious person I know picked that religion because it's what they were brought up with, they didn't really look at all of them and decide for themselves which made the most sense. I'd imagine if most people actually did that then Buddhism would probably end up as the most common religion, there's nothing really in it to disagree with.

So my question is this: if you're positive that it's silly to not believe in Christianity because of it's lack of proof, what made you decide not to believe in every other religion along with it?

Posted by Arwon

In the right circumstances everyone's favourite pet Tibetan buddhist could be Hitler.

Posted by Arwon

Also... religion makes the world go round? What about China? It's officially atheist and before that the majority was just into folk religions or Confuscianism which isn't really much of a religion....

Posted by Speedfreak

That can be said for every single religion on the planet, with examples to boot.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I'm right, you're wrong.

You sound just like a Jew.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

so is it muslim or jewish?

And my reply was to point out crappy grammar in a cheeky way, get over yourselves.

Posted by Bebop

Do I honeslty have to explain it?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

yeah, you do. Humor me.

Posted by Delilah

It is important. Like, when you are young and afraid of the dark, you have a nightlight in your bedroom. Even though there is nothing there to fear, that small light still makes you feel worlds better.

Take any Christian-based religion, for example. The promise of eternal happiness and life is too enticing to ignore, and so, the human psyche begins to “believe” that a man named Jesus died for their sins. Everyone wants someone to take away their problems, and what is a better way of doing that than dying so you do not have to? As far as Christians and Catholics, and any other similar religions goes, I do not think that people “believe” in them. Truly, I think that “belief” is a person subconsciously covering-up for the fact that they want to be happy for all time, religion or not. If you gave a dog the choice of a bath or a cookie, what do you think that it would choose? The cookie. Just make people scared enough (of, in this case, Hell), and hey will take the easiest route out.
I am humanist. I do not believe in any heaven nor hell, but I do think that religion is important. A sort of Security Blanket, when the road gets tough.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]so is it muslim or jewish?

And my reply was to point out crappy grammar in a cheeky way, get over yourselves.

Unless Bebop is multiple people, I think you just owned yourself.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

he left neg feedback saying I sounded like a muslim, then said I was Jewish. WTF are you on right now?

Posted by Speedfreak

Perhaps that's his sense of humour? Haven't you ever watched South Park?

Posted by S

There is no definate answer to this because there is no definitive research done on human beings as far as self-reliance goes. Also, the samples change in large degrees depending on the society they are in. That said, in a perfect world where everyone can think for themselves: Religion is not necessary. For the real world though, where there are people that lead and people that follow: It is needed for those unable to justify their own existence to themselves or to others.

P.S: If you're picking at someone's grammar and spelling when it is completely legible, during an argument, you've obviously lost.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: yeah, you do. Humor me.

You said "I'm right, you're are wrong".

Thats exaclty what Christian people say when it comes to religion.
Thats exaclty what Jewish people say when it comes to religion.
Thats exaclty what Muslim people say when it comes to religion.
Thats exaclty what *religious group* people say when it comes to religion.

I was merely pointed out how that comment is the catchphrase for every religion and its members. I said you sounded like a Muslim and a Jew to make it as clear as I could without having to explain it fully in a post.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

even after I stated that I posted simply to point out your second grade grammatical flaw? Even if that was the sole purpose, as stated in quote- And my reply was to point out crappy grammar in a cheeky way, get over yourselves.

huh?

even if I were to engage in this part of the argument (having given my reason for saying it in the first place) I would say that people of science, politicians, sports coaches, yanni, steve perry, etc etc etc all say "I'm right, you're wrong" so don't pretend like you've stumbled upon something profound there, kiddo

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: even after I stated that I posted simply to point out your second grade grammatical flaw? Even if that was the sole purpose, as stated in quote- And my reply was to point out crappy grammar in a cheeky way, get over yourselves.

You posted that after I repped you and posted the Jew comment.

[quote]even if I were to engage in this part of the argument (having given my reason for saying it in the first place) I would say that people of science, politicians, sports coaches, yanni, steve perry, etc etc etc all say "I'm right, you're wrong" so don't pretend like you've stumbled upon something profound there, kiddo

I'm not, tit, nor am I starting an argument. I merely commented on how Jewish/Muslim you sounded. Get over youself and stop pretending I tried to post something profound and deep when it couldnt be cleared in my rep comment, the Jew post AND the explaining post that it was anything but.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

dudde. . . I posted that AFTER your rep comment because obviously you all missed the point of my "you're wrong, I'm right." Comment. It was SINCERELY TO MAKE FUN OF POOR GRAMMAR. THAT WAS IT. How is it you brits invented cheeky quips yet can't understand mine? What fun is that?

Posted by Bebop

You posted the grammar joke.

I post Jew comment and Muslim rep

You ask why I called you those and explain the grammar joke

I explain why I called you Jew and Muslim

You accuse me of claiming I made some profound statement.

I say no because it clearly wasnt.

You post above comment.

Wtf? What am I not getting?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I explained to you how I wasn't trying to sound serious with "I'm right, you're wrong" and how it was done to poke fun at your grammar mistake. Then you keep beating that drum about how I'm using a line that other religions use, I re-instate, over and over, that no, I wasn't saying that to say that i was right and you were wrong, I said it simply to correct your grammar in a funny way. You KEEP beating the dead horse about how I'm acting like jews/muslims/rastafarians/whatever and I keep stating over and over NO I AM NOT I SAID IT TO MAKE FUN OF YOU. I made the point that your statement wasn't profound because you simply keep re-saying it over and over and over ad nauseum like you just found the ****ing philospher's stone or something. This is my last reply, I'm tired of discussing this with your stupid ***. Jesus Christ.

Posted by Bebop

How did I keep beating the drum? By saying once you sounded like a Jew and explainging it later? After you wanted me to?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I explained to you how I wasn't trying to sound serious with "I'm right, you're wrong" and how it was done to poke fun at your grammar mistake.

I know you did this. In the same post where you asked me to explain the Muslim and Jew comments. Is this beating the dead horse?

[quote]Then you keep beating that drum about how I'm using a line that other religions use, I re-instate, over and over, that no, I wasn't saying that to say that i was right and you were wrong, I said it simply to correct your grammar in a funny way.

RYour referring to the
You said "I'm right, you're are wrong".

Thats exaclty what Christian people say when it comes to religion.
Thats exaclty what Jewish people say when it comes to religion.
Thats exaclty what Muslim people say when it comes to religion.
Thats exaclty what *religious group* people say when it comes to religion.

I was merely pointed out how that comment is the catchphrase for every religion and its members. I said you sounded like a Muslim and a Jew to make it as clear as I could without having to explain it fully in a post.
post right?

This is me explainging you what it was AFTER you wanted me do. This wasnt me droning on about some dumb point. This was me answering your question. Is answering your question beating the dead horse?

The only thing I can see where you went wrong is where you forgot the post where I "droned on" was actually an answer to your question. Idiot.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

regardless, learn to ****ing make a contraction properly, you little rocket scientist you

Posted by Destructoid

I think many stories in many religions are absolutely essential as starting points for becoming a moral, good, grounded person. But short of the big picture lessons, I don't really don't care for their facts of details, or any particular religion in particular. I was born Catholic, studied Buddism, and have friends who have explained to me the teachings of Islam. And I chose Agnosticism. I can cite three specific events in my life that lead me to this decision:

1) My mom cheated on and divorced my dad. Five years later he remarries and the Catholic church which married them does not approve of a second marriage and won't let him have a ceremony. At 13 I cried bu11sh1t. (2) In my early 20's a very conservative Christian girl I was dating one day (over a what should we have for dinner arguement) decided that when we both died I might not get to go to heaven with her because I frequently question the church (See point 1, and nevermind that we were having premarital nookie). She and her pastor basically threatened and judged me. Ahem. (3) Being in Miami, I have been approached by at least 5 religious groups that all think I need their version of salvation, and the other 4 are d4mmed to burn in their version of hell or infinate irrelevance. Yeah Ok. That was enough.

So! At 25 I decided that I'm fawking sick of humans deciding what is holy and finite. I think there's something greater than us, but I'll be d4mmed if I accept another assinine interpretation from another human being. Here's my religion: I'm happy with "I don't know who or what g0d is, but I'm happy I'm here" and try to be nice and moral to people. I have been *much* happier since I made that change. I don't recommend it to anyone because people who feel very strongly about their religions will perceive you as a threat and exclude you. But it works for ME, and have decided I'm better off with open minded people who take me as I am. In that sense, it has it's perks.

It's also notable that religion, with perhaps second to money, is the primary cause of wars for thousands of years, which is another reason I think we don't need it. If you don't think that's true, put down your fists and look it up.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I like how like three people have answered the question at hand.

Posted by Speedfreak

People have interpreted the question in different ways. Pretty much everyone in this thread has answered it.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

no they haven't. You can think religion's stupid and acknowledge its importance in our world. Why defend the ignorant, I don't get it.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

It's unfortunate that religion is as important as it is, but you can't really deny that on global level, religion is very important.

Posted by Arwon

Tell it to the Chinese...

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: You can think religion's stupid and acknowledge its importance in our world.

Or you can think religion is stupid and acknowldge that it isnt actually important, and anything good religion does provide can be taught elsewhere? I dont know I'm just guessing. I'm just throwing it out here. I'm just throwing it out here.

Plus Im hungry for ****

Posted by Kanashuri

Quoting Bebop:
Plus Im hungry for ****

Who isnt?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Bebop: Or you can think religion is stupid and acknowldge that it isnt actually important, and anything good religion does provide can be taught elsewhere? I dont know I'm just guessing. I'm just throwing it out here. I'm just throwing it out here.

Plus Im hungry for ****

I'm surprised you're hungry for it, seeing as how you're so full of it all the time.

Religion is important. You have to have a knowledge OF such things in order to understand the world. Islam and Christianity are huge deciding factors in this world right now, and no matter how much you dislike religion, you have to know SOME about each or else you're a naive moron when it comes to international relations. See also. . . the US government.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Yeah, I despise organized religion, except a few eastern "religions" which I'd hardly call "religion", given their actual defined principles and lack of dogma.

But I do recognize that it is important on a global level. To the individual, religion is lame and worthless. But on a world-wide scale, we need religion because not everyone can find strength within themselves, so they have to rely on some invisible being to make them feel like they are of value. Those of us who can handle it by means of real things, we will do so. But those who can't need G*d.

Yes, that is genuinely what I believe. There are people who live out their whole lives without ever following G*d. They're totally happy, confident and satisfied. Without G*d. If G*d is the key to happiness, then how can you explain those people? You can say "They're not truly happy", but I doubt that's the case. I've met some people like that, and they seem happy enough. They seem satisfied with the state of their lives. They found the strength and will power within themselves to accomplish and achieve, and they did it without G*d's help. Those who do it with "G*d's help" are actually doing it on their own; it's just that they need to believe that someone is helping them.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that we all have the strength. But some of us call it G*d, while others don't. But we all have it, just the same.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

keep your personal conflicts with why people believe in what to yourself. I'm a Christian, but I'm more of a deist than **** near anyone. I don't need Gawd to justify my actions, my lifestyle, or my existence. *** you people suck at this.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: keep your personal conflicts with why people believe in what to yourself. I'm a Christian, but I'm more of a deist than **** near anyone. I don't need Gawd to justify my actions, my lifestyle, or my existence. *** you people suck at this.

Proverbs 3:5,6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

What that means is that you are not supposed to try to figure things out by yourself. You are supposed to give it all up to G*d and let Him do the figuring for you.

Your post contradicts itself, BJ. If you are a Christian according to the Holy Bible's definition, then you do need G*d to justify everything you do. Otherwise, you're not a very good Christian, or so says that Bible. Keep that in mind, Beej. That's not me criticizing your faith; that's the Bible.

I'm a Christian in that I follow what I believe Christ actually taught. I don't think he ever really claimed to be G*d or anything. I think that's what people put into his mouth, over time. And I don't really care much for the Bible, anyway.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I don't read the bible, lucky me.

Anyways, my post was directed at how you said that people make up a *** to justify themselves or act as a support crutch. I, for one, don't. Quit generalizing.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Fair enough.

Posted by

Nope it aint Boo Booo Boooooo