What type of anime do you like/hate?

Posted by Xenos

To be honest, I don't really know what type of anime that I like anymore, however, I can easily name what I hate.

In that case, I absolutely hate the typical highschool setting with love triangle, etc. Perhaps the only anime I could ever stand that did something like that was Evangelion - but the usual stuff that I see nowadays just turns me off. I also find alot of anime attempt to be emotion and moving, yet most of them overdue it and it turns out to be flat out lame.

Now that I think about, I like a good mysterious anime that doesn't add plot twisters for the sake of it and can give just enough clues to make it hard for the viewer to figure out what is going on without making it too obvious or making it seem as if someone just randomly took your ankle and twisted it 360 degrees - it hurts and its not cool. :(

Posted by nich

I like my anime semi-realistic but not real life, I'll try to explain by example. My favourite anime is Samurai Champloo, the characters in the show have exceptional skills and abilities but nothing capable of destroying worlds. Cowboy Bebop is set into the future and alot of the things they do is beyond what we can achieve but that doesn't mean we won't be able to someday. I do like the occassional non-sense, as long as a show stays away from the anime cliche I'm generally ok with it.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Romance anime is pretty...stupid, IMO. Mangas that are basically romance novellas should be kept in manga form (IE: Kare Kano, Hana-Kimi, even Nana though the live action movie was awesome), they just have no real point being visually animated. I mean, sure, you could get into the romantic mood easier by watching them and sure, if you're lazy too, but romantic manga uses the art to convey all that (where as anime gets lazy on the drawing and such).

My two cents anyway.

Quoting Xenos: In that case, I absolutely hate the typical highschool setting with love triangle, etc. Perhaps the only anime I could ever stand that did something like that was Evangelion - but the usual stuff that I see nowadays just turns me off. I also find alot of anime attempt to be emotion and moving, yet most of them overdue it and it turns out to be flat out lame.

...Evangelion? Sure there was a love triangle, but that wasn't blaringly obvious until late in the series, maybe just before Kaworu's appearance. And they didn't even go into detail with it, it was just kinda there and helped **** the characters over more.

Quoting Xenos: Now that I think about, I like a good mysterious anime that doesn't add plot twisters for the sake of it and can give just enough clues to make it hard for the viewer to figure out what is going on without making it too obvious or making it seem as if someone just randomly took your ankle and twisted it 360 degrees - it hurts and its not cool. :(

Detective Conan, as cutsey as it seemed, had some pretty good stories in it. I mean, sure, a teen getting turned into a little child while still trying to confess his love to a girl is kinda cliche, but the cases they did were pretty cool (some of them at least).

Posted by Xenos

Quoted post: ..Evangelion? Sure there was a love triangle, but that wasn't blaringly obvious until late in the series, maybe just before Kaworu's appearance. And they didn't even go into detail with it, it was just kinda there and helped **** the characters over more.

Referring to the high school ordeal!

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I like romance animes well enough, but I prefer the ones where characters actually have relationships instead of having the process of boy-meets-girl last throughout the entire series. D.N.Angel is a good example of this. Main Character Boy gets with his girlfriend long before the series is over, and that's nice.

I love giant robot animes to death. From the classic style of Voltron/Mazinkaizer to the modern Gundams and Full Metal Panic. Awesome.

There's much to be said for the Babes in Battle Armor genre, too. Iczer is one of my favorites, and I really wish Toshihiro Hirano would get off his duff and finish it one of these days.

Maho-shojo is great sometimes. Sailormoon is still one of my all-time favorite animes, and occaisionally a new series gets the formula right. Mai-Hime, and UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie, for example.

I love outrageous comedies, too. Excel Saga being my favorite in this genre. Nurse Witch Komugi and Azumanga Daioh are also brilliant.

Sadly there hasn't been enough fantasy anime made lately. Record of Lodoss War was awesome, and I thought the Ys anime was tastefully done in the spirit of the video games (though I wish they had finished/continued that series, as well).

I'm a huge fan of Leiji Matsumoto, too. The tales of Space Pirate Captain Harlock are always exciting, and even if a few of them aren't particularly well-written, they're always stylish beyond compare. Gun Frontier was a good idea, but fell way down in execution, unfortunately. I'm really enjoying Galaxy Railways.

I suppose you could say that I don't dislike any particular genre of anime, but only individual animes themselves. I dislike EVA, Akira, Lain, G-Gundam, and a number of lesser animes that I'm pretty sure just about everyone in the world would agree are terrible like Earthian and Nazca.

Posted by Last Fog

bukkake

Posted by Etna

I pretty much like all types of anime

Posted by mis0

I really enjoy storylines like those in Death Note; creative, different, and above all interesting. I guess Death Note is kind of a thriller-type manga, right? And, actually, I'm not actively reading anything else. I loved Cowboy Bebop's storyline and overall message, and I'm finding the same level of enjoyment in Genshiken.

Basically, it needs to be unique. I'm not very genre specific at all, I just want to be entertained.

Posted by Alastor

Like: Random, really. As long as it's entertaining, I don't care.

Dislike: Filler episodes in any anime. Even if it's my favorite anime, I can't stand fillers. That's actually what turned me off of Inuyasha entirely. Hardly any of the episodes had anything to do with what storyline there was.

Posted by keyartist

The stories have to be good.

Posted by Malevolence

I suppose what kind of anime I like would be a mix of comedy, seriousness, and action. Not ridiculously dragged out action (DBZ), but some pretty good fight scenes. I know I do hate fillers, and I tend to steer clear of them due to the fact that they dampen my opinion of the anime itself.

Posted by animegameM

ANIME IS THE BEST

Posted by Forbidden Toast

Quoting animegameM: ANIME IS THE BEST

obsessed much? -_-

Anyways, I have to agree with some previous posters here. I like anime where NO characters can blow up planets. That's a little too ridiculous to me. There are a couple acceptions, but they have to be really good. When I say blowing up, I mean someone shouts some words and a blast comes out destroying the planet. (AKA no DBZ and the likes)

I hate anime that gets repetitive or long. I used to love Naruto before they slowed it down 100 notches and put in 50 filler episodes.

Posted by jas11

I like many kinds, but some are pretty stupid. I like challenging books that actually make me think.

Posted by Roxas Lover

Basically what Jas11 said.

Posted by jas11

Well, obviously, Roxas Lover, we practically read the same anime. Except you sometimes you read the stupid ones that uses no brain power.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Referrence: "anime" is animated, whereas "manga" is the comic form that you read.

Posted by Filarrh

I like anime that's funny, no matter how overly GRIM the plot actually is. Like Death Note. And Elfen Lied. I mean, they're killing people off for no reason, but I still laugh at the stupid romance.

And then there're the overly happy ones like Cardcaptors.
3y3'm just strange liek dat

Typically, I hate the really common, high-school love sort of anime/manga. It's just the main character sleeping around, I mean...

Posted by Colonel

The type that doesn't suck anus.

Posted by Cruxis

Well simple yet sweet.

Vampire hunter X, DB/z/gt, rurhoni kenshin, gundam wing+, that kind of stuff.

Posted by Demotion

I like Hentai. :cookie2:

Posted by Fate

There are a lot of different series that I like of various genres, so I'll just say that I don't like harem, overbearing ecchi, or battle babe animes. They're just so annoying.

Posted by NeXidala

I like funny anime's that constantly keep me laughing. :D

Posted by Klarth

Anything that doesn't run for longer than 26 episodes and doesn't rely on pointless romance.

Posted by Apathetic

I like fighting ones, lol.