UK court rules against Sony

Posted by Klarth

...On the subject of whether the PS2 is a computer. Their scheme was to get the PS2 classified as a PC so they wouldn't have to pay import duty - Had they won, they'd rake in a massive $63 MILLION.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13013&rp=49

Discuss.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Every little bit helps. $63 Mil is pocket change to the likes of sony, but hopefully ken kutaragi's continued failures will encite the parent corporation to demand his resignation and seppuku in the near future. "Most influencial person in the industry." Feh.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

All I have to say is...

good.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting VirtualRealityZone: All I have to say is...

good.

What he said.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]Most influencial person in the industry.

Who the **** called him that!?

Posted by Fate

Quoting VirtualRealityZone: All I have to say is...

good.

Why? It's a business, and businesses would find any way to keep their money.

It sucks that Sony's plan failed and they have to pay import duties. Oh, well.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Every little bit helps. $63 Mil is pocket change to the likes of sony, but hopefully ken kutaragi's continued failures will encite the parent corporation to demand his resignation and seppuku in the near future. "Most influencial person in the industry." Feh.

YOU ARE ADVOCATING A MAN TO COMMIT SUICIDE MERELY BECAUSE HE IS THE HEAD OF A CORPORATION. I SWEAR TO *** AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THAT THIS MAN IS A FANBOY AS RABID AS ANY HALO FAN?

On topic, its got a cpu, its got a harddrive, its got ram, its got a dvd drive, and its (i think) got some sort of video processor. Sounds a hell of a lot like a cmputer to me.

Zeta, I believe it was gae informer magazine that proclaimed ken kutaragi as the most influencial person in the industry. Have I mentioned how much I hate them in the last 5 minutes? No? There. I just did.

spam, you really don't appreciate exaggerative comedy, do you?

Posted by higbvuyb

It's 'technically' a 'computer'. But, a remote control also 'technically' contains a computer too.

It's not really a 'Personal Computer' computer though.
The Xbox, however, is. Just with a custom OS.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Lord of Spam]On topic, its got a cpu, its got a harddrive, its got ram, its got a dvd drive, and its (i think) got some sort of video processor. Sounds a hell of a lot like a cmputer to me.
Unlike a PC, you're unable to change certain aspects of it (simply opening it voids your warranty), you are not able to alter the firmware at your discretion (there is, in fact, an "official" Linux distro for PS2, but it's amazingly locked-down) and, finally, it's non-upgradable.

Doesn't sound like a very proficient PC to me. As Hig said, though, the Xbox is a different story; I believe the dash is based on a bastardised version of Windows CE, and the thing uses an IDE hard drive - Consumers were originally going to be able to purchase official upgrade solutions.

Posted by Bebop

Gutted. But that change can be made up in Sony's other sectors. But can its video department make it up?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Klarth: Unlike a PC, you're unable to change certain aspects of it (simply opening it voids your warranty), you are not able to alter the firmware at your discretion (there is, in fact, an "official" Linux distro for PS2, but it's amazingly locked-down) and, finally, it's non-upgradable.

Doesn't sound like a very proficient PC to me. As Hig said, though, the Xbox is a different story; I believe the dash is based on a bastardised version of Windows CE, and the thing uses an IDE hard drive - Consumers were originally going to be able to purchase official upgrade solutions.

Your argument essentially boils down to "yeah, its a computer, but its a crappy one." That still admits that its a computer, though.

Posted by Klarth

It's a computer, but it -isn't- a PC. The PS2 and Gamecube are crappy computers, but the Xbrick's a crappy PC.

Should've said PC in my first post.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I guess, but thats a pretty petty distinction.

Posted by Klarth

It's the same kind of distinction between a calculator and a laptop.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The distinction doesnt seem to be anywhere NEAR that divergent.

Posted by Hyper

Yet it still is.

Suprise! Sneaky Sony strikes again!

Posted by GameMiestro

Minesweeper is not preloaded on it, therefore, it is not a PC.

Posted by TendoAddict

Ofcourse the English ruled it wasnt a computer.

Becuase they are not F'ing stupid. (well most of them )

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Hyper: Yet it still is.

Suprise! Sneaky Sony strikes again!

disagree, but whatever.

And holy hell people, TRYING TO SAVE MONEY IS WHAT BUSINESSES DO. DONT ****ING ACT LIKE IT SSOME BIG SHOCK THAT THEY TRIED TO SAVE A FEW MILL. It isnt new, and it isnt ****ing limited to sony. Its standard business practices. So if you're going to whine about sony doing it, then either ****ing accept teh fanboy status or whine about EVERY company that does it.

morons.

Posted by Klarth

Saving money by conventional means is fine. Changing laws and classifications is a whole different fish.

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't really blame them, what with the faggotry that is the EU. Videogames are now import-duty free just like PCs anyway now, but that sure as heck won't stop Sony trying to pass off the PS3 as a PC.

Wait, so sony spent good money on a legal battle to reclassify their console as a PC in order to avoid import duties, they fail with legendary prowess, and then import duties are repealed for video games anyway? sony seems born to lose recently. I laugh.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Lord of Spam: disagree, but whatever.

And holy hell people, TRYING TO SAVE MONEY IS WHAT BUSINESSES DO. DONT ****ING ACT LIKE IT SSOME BIG SHOCK THAT THEY TRIED TO SAVE A FEW MILL. It isnt new, and it isnt ****ing limited to sony. Its standard business practices. So if you're going to whine about sony doing it, then either ****ing accept teh fanboy status or whine about EVERY company that does it.

morons.

I wonder if MS/Nintendo tried to do the same thing Sony did.

Perhaps, but they probably didn't press the issue when UK courts glared at them meaningfully and said simply "No." sony appears to have gone that extra mile to nowhere.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Hyper: I wonder if MS/Nintendo tried to do the same thing Sony did.

I wonder if ms and nintendo are losing cash at the rate that sony is. OH WAIT CANT USE LOGIC IT MUST BE THAT SONY IS EVIL LOL

Hey, it's sony's own damn fault that they're losing so much money on the ps3. I'm reminded of when Homer Simpson's brother let him design a car.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You realize that by admitting that they are losing money, you validate the logic behind saving the money on the ps3, right? I mean, come on man, you arent even trying now. I mean, dude, srsly like, come on, bro, like, not even joking man, like, come on dude.

I think you're confusing "logic" with the natural order of things. Insects will always swarm over a melting piece of chocolate instead of a shelled nut, but that doesn't mean they're thinking logically in any sense of the word. Such is the nature of sony.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You realize that what you are saying isnt true, right?

First of all, sony is made of humans. Which use logic. Maybe not perfect logic (hey, nobody's vulcan, man), but still logic. I'm tired as hell and about to pass out and I STILL recognize the bs you're spewing. Try harder, man. Like, srsly, etc.