I can't access my computer. help lol

Posted by maian

...In the setu process, it always goes to a blue screen that says this:

"*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x81879700, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for any viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

..So, uh, yeah. I can't do anything past that. It just kind freezes on that screen. I'm on a laptop right now, and it won't get past setup.

...Help? =/

EDIT: I use Windows 2000 Professional, by the way.

Posted by juliebriggs

sounds like your hard drive is corrupt, or has a faulty connection

Posted by Klarth

Make sure the HD's IDE (or SATA if you're using a SATA hard drive, or whatever lol) cable is dust-free and firmly jammed into the motherboard. Other than that i dunno rofl

Posted by maian

I think most of that is fine. Problem is, I don't know how it even happened. Dad was on, playing Gunbound, he shut it off, and now it's doing this.

How can I even change any of this stuff. I can't access an ything in my computer. =/ I know how to get into Setup, but I don't even know what 90% of the things mean. And what does "Inaccessable Boot device" mean? It looks like that's the main problem. The rest of te screen is just a normal script.

Posted by Klarth

"Inaccessible Boot Device" = can't access the hard drive for some reason.

Posted by maian

...Bah. Well, I'll take a look inside the computer then. I hate doing that. :)

In he meantime, any more help is appeciated. :cookie:

Posted by Apathetic

What would Harrison Ford do? Oh and make sure those cables that the hard drive is connected to go somewhere as well. Ones usually a power cord and the other is connection to the mobo. Its really easy to tell just follow the lines!

Posted by Proto Man

Yikes... man I saw that happen myself on a laptop. I was trying to fix the Printer setup stuff, and had to turn it off to take it over to the printer so I could install it. When I opened it up again, it would get to the Win XP loading screen, but then gave me a blue screen afterwards. We couldn't get into it at all, and had to re-format the hard drive. I know that doesn't help much, and I am sorry, but I don't know why it does this myself.

EDIT: Check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103/en-us

Posted by maian

Hey uh, stupid question.

..Which one is the hard drive? :( Like, in the computer? :(

EDIT: On the W2000 version of the article, I found this.

[quote]A "Stop 0x0000007B" error message occurs when you upgrade your computer to Windows 2000 if DPT Storage Manager Version 2.26 or earlier is installed on your computer
When you try to upgrade your computer from Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000, you may receive the following Stop error message on a blue screen, and your computer may not start:
STOP:0x0000007B, 0xF4063848, 0xC000034, 00000000, 00000000
Cause
This problem may occur if DPT Storage Manager version 2.26 or earlier is installed on the computer. DPT Storage Manager Setup creates an incorrect Plug and Play registry key that prevents the upgrade operation to Windows 2000 but has no adverse effect on Windows NT 4.0-based computers.
Resolution
To resolve this problem, either upgrade the version of DPT Storage Manager to Storage Manager version 2.27 or later, or obtain and install the W2kprep.exe file from DPT. The W2kprep.exe file is included with DPT Storage Manager version 3.03 and later.

For more information about Storage Manager, visit the following Adaptec Web site:
http://www.adaptec.com (http://www.adaptec.com)

That sounds strikingly similar to my problem. However, I have no idea what any of that means. =/ How do I download or upgrade something when I can't get onto the computer? There's no way to bypass the blue screen.

EDIT AGAIN: Gawd, nevermind, the numbers are different. Move on.

Posted by Philsdad

Okay, a few things. First off, here's what a laptop HD looks like, so look for one of these: http://www.bigkey.com/pic/ibm/hard%20drives/7775_ibm_4.0gig_laptop_hard_drive.jpg
Check the cords like the others said. You should also look to see what brand your HD is because HD companies usually release diagnostic tools you can use to try to analyze/fix HD problems.

Before you do that though, do one other thing. In your BIOS settings, see if there is an option anywhere for S.M.A.R.T. for hard drives. If you have it, enable it and restart your computer. if your HD is corrupt, the S.M.A.R.T. analyzer should detect this and come up with a message. Regardless, after this, go to the HD manufacturer's website and look for those diagnostic tools. Copy the tools to a floppy, then boot off that floppy and follow the instructions from there. It may or may not do anything, but it's always worth a shot.

Posted by maian

Alright, the S.M.A.R.T didn't do anything.

Another thing: The last person to use it before this was my dad. He said he was playing Gunbound, tried to put in headphones, put them in the wrong slot or something, then the computer froze, and now we're getting that.

...If that helps.

Posted by Philsdad

That's probably a good sign then. Your drive probably is fine, but I have NO idea how plugging headphones into the wrong slot could screw things up that badly. If you have a Windows XP CD try to boot that and go into Recovery mode. Here is a little tutorial on that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/ See if you can repair your MBR, but be careful when working in the recovery console. If there's absolutely no way to fix it, you should get a external enclosure for that drive, and hook it up to another computer (probably the one you're reading this from) and see if you can at least access the drive to back up all your stuff.

Posted by maian

Well first off, I use Windows 2000 Professional.

My dad can't figure it out, which is unfortunate, because he knows a lot about these things. I've been looking around, but still don't know what's wrong. Nothing looks wrong inside the computer. The wires and stuff are normal, as far as I know. Changing settings on the setup screen hasn't done anything, and I don't know what half of them mean anyway. =/

I'm not changing much around in the BIOS and such, since my dad never looked at them, and it was working fine on those settings. I also tried Last Good Configuration, and that didn't work. =/

I don't know exactly what screwed it up. I don't think screwing up sound slots would screw things up this much. All I know is that it froze during Gunbound, and now it's screwing up. =/

It might really suck when my cousin leaves with this laptop. Hopefully we won't have to be calling the Geek Squad or something. >_>

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting maian: It might really suck when my cousin leaves with this laptop. Hopefully we won't have to be calling the Geek Squad or something. >_>

Phil, would a case enclosure work with a laptop HD? Cause if it would, that would be a good way to go.

Now does this laptop have a floppy drive? If so, you may be able to use a repair diskette.

Posted by Trigger

You could just format. It would be much faster than sitting here for days on end trying to get a solution to a blue-screen bypass and fix. If you have tried what Phil has already suggested and found no help with the diagnostic tools provided by the hard drive manufacturer, you best get started on formatting. As for data loss, well, this is why they recommend you backup your important data. Lesson learned.

Posted by maian

Well uh, problem solved. Trigger: Lesson learned.

So, we had our uncle come here (He's visiting, we didn't call him over because of a broken computer. >_>) He's pretty much a genius, so we got it all fixed. But not really. We used an OS disk to boot from and to load, but in the process, we had to lose all of our data.

It's kind of relieving, not having so much crap on it. Anyway, it's XP, since we couldn't find the Windows 2K disk. So now we pretty much have a new computer, and operating system. Luckily, most of the stuff I had on the old system is saved somewhere on the internets. :)