Converting music to MP3

Posted by Crazy K

Ok I have a few songs that I cannot install on a CD so I was wondering how to convert these music to MP3's. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by Philsdad

What format are the files in now that you're trying to convert?

Posted by Crazy K

I have no idea for one. It says its an Audio Media type.

Its a song I downloaded and it won't let me put it on cd. But It might be a corrupted file or something, but it still plays.

Also I want to convert from WAV files to MP3, because I liked to make stupid music so I would like to convert from WAV to MP3.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Crazy K: I have no idea for one. It says its an Audio Media type.

Its a song I downloaded and it won't let me put it on cd. But It might be a corrupted file or something, but it still plays.

Also I want to convert from WAV files to MP3, because I liked to make stupid music so I would like to convert from WAV to MP3.

iTunes will convert your WAV to MP3 nicely.

As far as this other media type... can you email it to me? [email]protoman@wireforums.com[/email]

I want to look at it.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Protoman]As far as this other media type... can you email it to me? [email]protoman@wireforums.com[/email]

I want to look at it.

Its just a song called "Silent Hill 2 Sadness (Piano) and its only 58 seconds long. But if you would like, I can send it. Besides that I just want to convert every song that does not work to MP3. Anyways ill try Itunes.

Good thing I had Itunes yet on my computer. :)

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Crazy K: But if you would like, I can send it. Besides that I just want to convert every song that does not work to MP3. Anyways ill try Itunes.

Yes, please send it. As far as your other "songs that don't work", are they the same kind of format as well?

Posted by Crazy K

The other ones work fine, I just want to know how to convert just in case it happens again.

Anyways I got Itunes up but I don't know how to use it to convert the song.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Crazy K: The other ones work fine, I just want to know how to convert just in case it happens again.

Anyways I got Itunes up but I don't know how to use it to convert the song.

Put your song into iTunes, and then right click it. It should say in the menu "Convert to MP3". You should be able to adjust the compression in the options.

[COLOR="lightblue"]*is still waiting for that file*[/COLOR]

Posted by Fate

It's a trial version, but [url=http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/]WavePad[/url] can turn even music videos into Mp3s.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Protoman]*is still waiting for that file*

Just got it sent out.

[Quote=Protoman]Put your song into iTunes, and then right click it. It should say in the menu "Convert to MP3". You should be able to adjust the compression in the options.

The only things it says is: "Convert ID3 Tags" and "Convert selection to ACC"

There is no MP3 option. Oh well its no big deal.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Crazy K:
Convert selection to ACC

There is no MP3 option. Oh well its no big deal.

Oh yeah, I remember now, you have to change that in the options.

EDIT: Hold on, I will get more specific once I get iTunes on this computer.

ANOTHER EDIT:

I just got it... and I don't understand, as it IS mp3. I will try burning it myself.

NEW STUFF:

Ok Crazy K... like I said, that file WAS an MP3 file, and I was able to burn it to an audio CD myself. So the only thing I can think of now is maybe there are other problems involved.

Posted by Philsdad

Also, if you ever have any sound files that you can listen to, but can't convert through any possible means, you can always take care of them the "poor man's way." The way you do this would be to play the entire sound file on your computer and record it. I'd recommend [URL="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/"]Audacity[/URL] for this. After you get it installed, double click on the little sound icon in your system tray, and bring up your volume controls. Then bring up your recording properties, and make sure "Wave" or "Wave Out" is checked. Fire up Audacity or Sound Recorder or your program of choice and load up your song, press record in audacity, and then play the song, the entire way through. Now, you can save it as a new file (WAV or mp3.) This can also be useful for recording music from games that don't have any other sort of soundtrack. I used to make quite a few SNES soundtracks this way, awhile back.

Posted by Proto Man

Hey thanks for the program Phil, if it's what I think it is, than it's the kind of program I have been looking for, for a long while.

Posted by Philsdad

Yeah, it has a lot of uses. It's a great program in general for any kind of sound editing. You can load up WAVs or mp3s and cut and paste crap. I've made some pretty weird stuff in the past with that program. I once made a fake black metal band and called it Black Barn. It was supposed to be a cross of black metal and bluegrass..but of course I just pasted random songs together to create one giant mess. Most of it just sounded really strange and bad, but a few songs kind of worked. I gave the songs ridiculous titles like "Apocalypse of the Farm" and "Harvesting at Midnight" and then shared them at a few different places. Anyway yeah..it's a fun program.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Protoman]Ok Crazy K... like I said, that file WAS an MP3 file, and I was able to burn it to an audio CD myself. So the only thing I can think of now is maybe there are other problems involved.

Oh well, its a short song so I can deal with not having it.

But yeah im gonna download that Audacity things.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Crazy K: Oh well, its a short song so I can deal with not having it.

But yeah im gonna download that Audacity things.

Lol, you missed my point. What I am saying is, I don't think it's your files that have the problem. I think there is something else wrong. What program do you usually use to burn your CD's?

Posted by Crazy K

I use Sonic to make my cd's.

Also I just downloaded Audacity and now my speakers are not working right. What do I do?

Posted by Toon

If you just simply want to convert the file from .WAV or another file type , try enabling file extensions so it will say. (Song.WAV) or somthing like that then just change the .WAV to .mp3 and it may work if not you can change it back without any harm done.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Toon: If you just simply want to convert the file from .WAV or another file type , try enabling file extensions so it will say. (Song.WAV) or somthing like that then just change the .WAV to .mp3 and it may work if not you can change it back without any harm done.

No, don't do that.. Those file extensions exist for a reason, simply renaming them isn't going to change anything.

Quoting Crazy K: Also I just downloaded Audacity and now my speakers are not working right. What do I do?

Huh, that's strange. Can you try to remember the exact steps you took when you installed and ran the program? It might be easier to help you that way. I've never heard of anything like that happening with Audacity. Check all your volume and sound card settings and make sure everything is okay, and if not..well try to remember what happened and we'll go from there.

Posted by Klarth

[url=http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/]Mediacoder[/url] is an up-and-coming transcoder that can convert anything to anything else.

[quote=Philsdad]
No, don't do that.. Those file extensions exist for a reason, simply renaming them isn't going to change anything. Yeah, what Toon said is ****ing moronic. Changing the filename extension does NOT change the codec the media file is encoded in.

Crazy K: Try right-clicking on the speaker icon in the system tray, and turning Wave volume up. I've had problems with it randomly turning itself off in the past.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Crazy K: I use Sonic to make my cd's.

Hmm... try using something else and see what happens. Something like iTunes, or Windows Media Player.

Quoting Klarth:
Yeah, what Toon said is ****ing moronic. Changing the filename extension does NOT change the codec the media file is encoded in.

Heh, for once I agree with one of Klarth's statements. Oh and thanks for the link, good stuff.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Do you got any songs that still need converted? I can convert them just by playing and recording them.

On iTunes....Advanced --> Convert Selection to MP3

(Disclaimer: I'm on an iMac!!)