Lower the rep standards?

Posted by Proto Man

I find it a bit annoying that I have to wait and rep a lot of people before I can rep the same person again. Maybe the standards could be lowered?

Posted by Linkman

no.

The rep system is, for the most part, abused. That would only cause people to abuse it more.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Linkman: no.

The rep system is, for the most part, abused. That would only cause people to abuse it more.

As in abuse, I'm trying to figure out what you mean. Since for the most part, reputation doesn't really matter. It only makes noobs intimidated when they see a member with high rep (Yes, Im talking to you Vamp and Judge). Do they spam, or just give unnecessary reputation?

Posted by Last Fog

Theres no way to "abuse" the rep system when it doesnt matter in the first place. But it's annoying when you want to comment on someone's post and you can't because "oh no you have to spread teh reputation around!!"

Maybe if there was an option to just comment on a post without giving or taking rep?

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

It's fine. No changes should be made.

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Last Fog: Theres no way to "abuse" the rep system when it doesnt matter in the first place. But it's annoying when you want to comment on someone's post and you can't because "oh no you have to spread teh reputation around!!"

Maybe if there was an option to just comment on a post without giving or taking rep?

then you could just private message them.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Roinkz: then you could just private message them.

No. Clearly, you are not comfort-minded. When I want to make a comment, I want to make it at that moment. The rep button is easy and fast, whilst "simply PMing someone" is slow and lame and that way other people can't realize how awesome and funny your comment was.

Example:
[quote=Well respected member]my penis is HUEG ollz
Now, I can either
A. Rep-comment them with something like "ur moms HUEG :(" and everyone who reads that thread nods and says to themselves, "He speaks the truth. :("
or
B. PM them with "mine is biggar" and they'll be like "wtf" because you went to all the trouble of PMing them just to say something as dumb as that.

Rep comments are awesome for little things like that, which I believe is what Protoman wants to be able to do freely. Right now there are basically limitations on the freedom to make snide comments, as you can only make such comments to a person after every few times you comment others.

Protoman is right, this is thoroughly lame and should be changed.

At least in the blogs. :P

Posted by Xero

Quoting Slade: I want to make it at that moment. The rep button is easy and fast, whilst "simply PMing someone" is slow and lame and that way other people can't realize how awesome and funny your comment was.

Exactly. Rep is more usefull than the Pm system for comments like that.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

...and I deserved negative rep...why Protoman?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting VirtualRealityZone: ...and I deserved negative rep...why Protoman?

Just what it says... I disagreed with that post. Nothing personal. :)

Posted by Xero

Protoman, how many times d'you get that kind of message: "You have spread too much rep in the past 24 hours." Often?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Flame ghost: Protoman, how many times d'you get that kind of message: "You have spread too much rep in the past 24 hours." Often?

That message? Actually no.

Posted by Jesse Smith

OK Roinkz, where did you find that signature picture!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by Xero

Probably typed "Giant dick" on google image search.

Posted by Iris

I don't agree with Proto's idea, since raising and lowering rep would just be more abused than it already is.

However, it would be nice if we were still able to leave messages on people's posts, but not affecting reputation. In fact, I'd be willing to get rid of reputation as long as we can leave comments under a user's post. PMing is too troublesome and aren't public, and it'll cut down on unwanted spam such as "LOL U FAIL" and such. There's no need for limiting how often you can do it or who you can do it to.

It's just for those things you have to say that don't quite need an entire post.

Posted by keyartist

Quoting Linkman: no.

We already really abuse the system anyways, we give out lots of pointless rep. so we can finally give it to those who earned it. But yeah it will be more abused.

Posted by Boner

For something that is so intangible and holds no true value other than to fuel one's own ability to gloat, people sure do complain about it a lot. People should post on boards because they want to interact with people of similar interests. Not to build up a number (beit your own or that of another member) that is quite literally pointless in the real world. I have posted here long enough that I don't need to look at a number to know a person's reputation. Especially their reputation in my eyes.

I am not flaming you for your suggestion. Nor to I condone it. I am merely trying to point out that you are making a big deal out of something that really doesn't matter. So, rep me, derep me, flame me, or agree with me. I don't care either way. I post here becase it's fun. Not because of munbers.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Opeth: For something that is so intangible and holds no true value other than to fuel one's own ability to gloat, people sure do complain about it a lot. People should post on boards because they want to interact with people of similar interests. Not to build up a number (beit your own or that of another member) that is quite literally pointless in the real world. I have posted here long enough that I don't need to look at a number to know a person's reputation. Especially their reputation in my eyes.

I am not flaming you for your suggestion. Nor to I condone it. I am merely trying to point out that you are making a big deal out of something that really doesn't matter. So, rep me, derep me, flame me, or agree with me. I don't care either way. I post here becase it's fun. Not because of munbers.

Heck, I don't care about numbers... I could care less if my rep was negative. I actually use the rep system THE CORRECT WAY. What this is about though is the ability to be able to rep more often than how the system is now. Who care if there is more "abuse"? That is the silliest thing. There is abuse that goes on in these forums all the time.

NOW SEE? I wanted to rep you Opeth, but because of the way the system is now, I COULDN'T GIVE YOU POSITIVE REP!

Posted by Roxas23857

I just don't like that you have to spread rep. because I've spread rep. alot and it still doesn't let me give it to people again. But maybe we could change it to like after you give 3 other people rep you can give rep to the person from before. But I liked Iris's idea alot maybe we should put that into action or something.