Bundle of cells can play Quake 3

Posted by Klarth

http://home.actlab.utexas.edu/~dbailey/pressrelease.html

Scientists have grown a cluster of cells in a petri dish, and they're capable of playing Quake 3 - And playing it well.

This is amazing.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, I remember reading that a while back at Team Xbox. Pretty crazy stuff.

Posted by The Judge

That's actually pretty scary. I always figured planning for robots would be the first sign of the end of humanity.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting The Judge: That's actually pretty scary.

He speaks the truth.

That's fukken insane....

Posted by Bebop

If a handful of dog cells can eliminate a computer enemy in a matter or 9 days I can see it being used in the much furhter future for real combat. Scary indeed.

Posted by Ant

Pretty cool. What I thought was interesting though was how it was the cells from a dog. But I'm not too keen on the idea of it being in control of robots or other computer systems. Considering it's a brain that learns on it's own...IT COULD RISE UP AGAINST MAN!

Posted by Zeta

I wonder how good they'd do at other games?

Posted by Killer Jordo

Woah. Just woah.

That is amazing. How scientists have created a living brain. Like The Judge said it is kind of scary to think about this.

Posted by lameboyadvance

Quoting http://home.actlab.utexas.edu/~dbailey/project1.html: I read a story about a University of Florida scientist who used rat neurons in a Petri dish to control a flight simulator... ...So, I set out to fake something similar

It seemed highly unlikely, and considering a thing I saw a while back about how the best they could achieve with the human brain was a very basic (5x5?) grid of light information as a replacement for the human eye, I highly doubted a small portion of a canine cranium could frag a bot. :rolleyes:

Posted by sniper

[quote]Notice in the third video the dog neurons show signs of their instinctual behavior rooted in their DNA.
lol fake

Posted by Klarth

Yeah, I was snooping around and cropping the URL last night. Oh man :(

Posted by Ant

Oh, so this is fake? Lame.

Posted by The Judge

Thank G[COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"]o[/COLOR][/COLOR]d. It would have been unnerving if it wasn't.

Posted by Bebop

Wait, how do we know this is fake? HOW DO WE KNOW DOGS CANT KILL?!?!

Posted by The Judge

Oh, they can. Just not with guns. They prefer to bark out killer bees.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting lameboyadvance: It seemed highly unlikely, and considering a thing I saw a while back about how the best they could achieve with the human brain was a very basic (5x5?) grid of light information as a replacement for the human eye, I highly doubted a small portion of a canine cranium could frag a bot. :rolleyes:

noob? what you just said means that that's the best that 'a replacement for the human eye' can do, that had nothing to do with the brain.

Though a dog brain would be able to move the 'character' properly after some experience, I doubt there would be any way to teach the dog brain how to play an FPS. Fake, obviously.

Posted by 007 ninja

obviously they are going to utilize this discovery and put little brains inside furbies

Posted by Klarth

Quoting 007 ninja: obviously they are going to utilize this discovery and put little brains inside furbies

Read it as "furries". Hell, they need them just as much.