Look what sony's doing now

Posted by TendoAddict

(from http://www.mobilemag.com)

[quote]We’ve seen companies try to sell electronics through vending machines before, and some, including Apple with the iPod, have had success. Sony is jumping into the vending machine business in an aggressive way, though. Their new machines are called Sony Access, and they have been launched in partnership with Zoom Systems. So far they have been set up in malls in Atlanta, Boulder, Colorado and Santa Rosa, California, and more kiosks are on the way soon.

The kiosks, which aim to boost both sales and brand buzz, sell both devices and accessories. You can buy Walkmans, digital cameras and PSPs, along with the accessories you need for them, such as headphones, cables, and batteries. You can also buy recordable media, DVDs, CDs and PlayStation games. Each vending machine can handle 50 SKUs and has a 15 inch touch panel, along with sensors and internet connectivity to allow Sony to closely monitor sales.

Full artical : http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/344/C8289

Another source:http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/psp-vending-machines-take-credit-cards-180905.php

Wow, Vending?

This is new, but will people really want to buy things as costly as a psp from a vending machine?

(sorry, didnt add it before)

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

It's just like a little toy stand that you see at malls and stuff.

Instead of walking into a game store, just go to the machine, and pay the amount in which the device you want costs.

Posted by Klarth

PHOTOSHOPPED.

Posted by Axis

Nu-Uh!!! I have one of 'em babies in store!1!

Posted by TendoAddict

I thought it was shopped too, but its not.

Here's another pic I found, this ones more real looking.

Posted by Fate

That actually sounds pretty convenient. Hopefully it's set up so if there's a problem, it can be fixed by a local store.

I can imagine me doing something stupid. "**** I PUSHED THE WRONG BUTTON :mad:"

Posted by Klarth

That first one is a horrifyingly bad 'shop, but now that it turns out to be real, I'm not sure what to think. :/ Didn't Apple do this first?

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Klarth: That first one is a horrifyingly bad 'shop, but now that it turns out to be real, I'm not sure what to think. :/ Didn't Apple do this first?

"We

Posted by Prince Shondronai

*Sigh* I just know my mall is going to get one, and kids are going to come into my arcade asking for $300 in single dollar bills to put into it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I assume it only takes credit cards, but it would be interesting to feed $50s into a vending machine.

Posted by Boner

I can just see some really big nerd-type-guy spending an hour pumping his entire change collection into one of those things to buy a PSP, only to have it get stuck like a stubborn bag of chips, then fiercely trying to rock the machine to unlodge it.

Maybe they should add a security system to the thing like they had in the movie Total Recall. You know...with the big red circles that you are commanded to place your hands on by the talking computer controlled machine guns?

Yeah, that's what that thing needs.

Quoting TendoAddict:

I'd be more interested in making a deposit into that loli than that ****ed machine.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting Opeth: I can just see some really big nerd-type-guy spending an hour pumping his entire change collection into one of those things to buy a PSP, only to have it get stuck like a stubborn bag of chips, then fiercely trying to rock the machine to unlodge it.

I <3 MS Paint :D

Like Bill? It illustrates your...beautifully detailed story :D

Posted by Hyper

There were all ready iPod machines that I lol'd at, now this.

Posted by Boner

Quoting VirtualRealityZone:

I <3 MS Paint :D

Like Bill? It illustrates your...beautifully detailed story :D

I would rather you had illustrated the end of my story.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]

How did you find a pic of me infront of one of those?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting TendoAddict: How did you find a pic of me infront of one of those?

It can't be you. You're the right body shape, but you're also prepubescent, which causes problems with the beard.

Posted by mis0

This is an interesting idea. It'd also be interesting to see if anyone can hack it, because someone getting free stuff from it is potentially causing $1000's of dollars in profit loss. Sw33t.

I'll so get a PSP if I can just hack it out of there.

Posted by Bebop

THATS NOT A VENDING MACHINE ITS A REAL LIFE PLAYSTATION 3 LOLOLOLOLOL

No seriously, they are stealing from Nintendo. A touch panel! OMG STEAL LOLOLOLOL

No seriously guys, it could be convenient. I would always prefer buying one from a shop though. However 2 of my headpones broke yesterday and was desperate for some. Not many shops where I love sell them so this would be a great example of appealing to a consumer.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Bebop]
No seriously, they are stealing from Nintendo.
Funny you should bring that up, because Nintendo did vending machine functionality with the Famicom Disk System and the iQue :)

Posted by Boner

Quoting Bebop: No seriously, they are stealing from Nintendo. A touch panel! OMG STEAL LOLOLOLOL

Then, who did Nintendo steal the touch panel from? LOLOLOL

[URL="http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bltouch.htm"]HISTORY[/URL]

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting TendoAddict: I thought it was shopped too, but its not.

Here's another pic I found, this ones more real looking.

At first, I thought this was fake, since on the womans upper chest and head, it looks like there is light shining off of her, but I see no place that could come from. I may be looking at it wrong, but if it's real, I suppose I cannot argue. Unless it's coming from the actualy machine light inside, it'd make sense then.

Posted by ccrocker58

anyone got a source for that pic?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting NightmareBassX: At first, I thought this was fake, since on the womans upper chest and head, it looks like there is light shining off of her, but I see no place that could come from. I may be look at it wrong, but if it's real, I suppose I cannot argue. Unless it's coming from the actualy machine light inside, it'd make sense then.

There is light shining from above onto the machine. It's possibly reflecting her.

In any case the first is photoshopped but most probably used for protype reasons by Sony, than a l337 fan.

Posted by Crazy K

It looks and sounds interesting, but It would suck if you clicked a wrong button or something and then you end up buying something else. That would suck. But I guess it could work out.

Posted by sunsetjenn

wow. that is amazing. i never heard of such a thing. who knows what will be next!

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Crazy K: It looks and sounds interesting, but It would suck if you clicked a wrong button or something and then you end up buying something else. That would suck. But I guess it could work out.

Otherwise, they could have like quadruple confirmations, like "Are you sure?", "are you really sure?", and "are you really really sure?" and etc.

Posted by Linko_16

The idea of a vending machine is that it sells $1-$3 (or so) stuff you usually want to buy on a regular basis. Electronics? I'm not seeing it.

But if it works for Sony, more power to them.

Posted by Bebop

Surely they will be in places whre there are lots of people. Like malls. But wouldnt there be shops for these things in these locations?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Bebop: Surely they will be in places whre there are lots of people. Like malls. But wouldnt there be shops for these things in these locations?

I was thinking that too. Seems stupid because their in populated malls and have stores for that already. Plus if they put it in non-populated areas the sales would be lower and higher chance of theft.

I dunno sony, just seems like a oxymoron.

Posted by gamerz

sony is definitely going to go out of business if they keep making stupid decisions like these. I mean who needs a vending machine that vends electronics at a mall when there's already tons of electronic shops already in malls? The ps3 will definitely be a flop and thanks to high blu-ray prices, it's a guaranteed flop.

Posted by Fate

Sony isn't going out of business because of this decision, you idiot. If anything, this will only boost sales, not hinder them. I fail to see how this would harm them in any way.

And, Sony like aside, I really don't think the PS3 will be a flop.
:/

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]Sony isn't going out of business because of this decision, you idiot.
He never said that these machines were going to kill sony . He said that stupid moves like this will. Please read before insulting.

[quote]If anything, this will only boost sales, not hinder them.
How will this boost sales? Some new Vending fetish? Is some one going to buy electronics now that it comes in a vending machine?

Electronics are on a different level then beverages and trading cards. The easyness of a machine may persuade people to buy smaller objects.

BUT things like PsP's and other costly things are investments. What if something breaks before you use it? How can you return it to a machine.

People rather buy more costly thing with a human, not a machine. So why would they use a vending machine when the same thing can be bought from a GameStop at the same mall? Its not like the line is going to be murder and when spending cash people like human interface.

[quote]I fail to see how this would harm them in any way.

How Can't you?

[quote]And, Sony like aside, I really don't think the PS3 will be a flop. :/

It wont be a flop just like the N64 wasnt.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Dialog time.

Random Person 1:"Yes I finally have enough money for a new PSP game!"
*walks up to vending machine*
Vending Machine:"Please Insert your money"
*Inserts money*
Random Person 1:"Hmmm, I'm going to pick this one. Ok B3"
*presses B3*
*Game pops out*
Random Person 1:"WTF THIS ISNT THE GAME I WANTED YOU PIECE OF **** CRAP VENDING MACHINE GO TO ****ING HELL YOU ****ING **** OF THE ****INGNESS **** GIMME MY ****ING GAME YOU PIECE OF ****ING ****! ****************************************!"
Cop:"Please sir stop swearing! We will have to remove you from this malls premises."
Random Person 1:"WHAT THE ****! YOUR GOING TO ****ING REMOVE ME! YOU PIECE OF **** CRAP TASTICAL **** TARDED DUCKER! GO TO ****ING HELL!"
*punches cop*
*Random Person 1 gets arrested*
Random Person 2:"The Moral of this story is. That if you use these vending machines, you will be arrested. Let this be a lesson to you, and Sony."

You like?

Posted by Fate

Quoting TendoAddict: He never said that these machines were going to kill sony . He said that stupid moves like this will. Please read before insulting.

He said "decisions like these". I chose to single out the decision to further my argument. This is not a stupid decision, in which I will kindly explain to you.

[quote]How will this boost sales? Some new Vending fetish? Is some one going to buy electronics now that it comes in a vending machine?

Electronics are on a different level then beverages and trading cards. The easyness of a machine may persuade people to buy smaller objects.

The mere convenience of them will boost sales. Not having to deal with anything, not having to be bothered by clerks, etc. Ever see those self-checkout stands in a grocery store? Yeah, I use those all the time. It's better if you do things yourself, sometimes.

Aaaaaand this can't hurt their sales, for sure, so how in the blue holy **** will it hinder them? How is this a stupid decision? How is the display of everything Sony in one convenient little machine going to hurt them? Duh.

[quote]BUT things like PsP's and other costly things are investments. What if something breaks before you use it? How can you return it to a machine.

People rather buy more costly thing with a human, not a machine. So why would they use a vending machine when the same thing can be bought from a GameStop at the same mall? Its not like the line is going to be murder and when spending cash people like human interface.

Chances are there will be somebody or someplace nearby that deals with the machine. It doesn't necessarily have to be placed in a mall.

[quote]It wont be a flop just like the N64 wasnt.

I'll take it just like it was typed and turn it into a positive (which is what I'm sure you meant to do). You mean not a total failure? Yeah, that's expected. But this isn't even a console. :/

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]The mere convenience of them will boost sales. But will it be more convenient? Even you said they would be neer stores that sell the same thing. Sure speed is convenient, but the store offers convenience that the machine doesnt. It would be easyer to return items, you are not rushed by other people, and a myraid of little things.

So while the machine has the conveniece of speed it lacks some conveince in a store.

[quote]Not having to deal with anything, not having to be bothered by clerks, etc. Ever see those self-checkout stands in a grocery store? Yeah, I use those all the time. It's better if you do things yourself, sometimes.

This point is poor for a good reason.

Those self-checkout will always have a person watching over you or have help a short distance away. They come and help when some thing is wrong, so inherently you are never doing it you self just doing it under a watchful eye.

Vending is a solo though. In the Middle of a mall what do you do if their is a problem? Who do you ask?
This is a reason why I (and many people) would rather go to the electronic store two click's away.

[quote]Chances are there will be somebody or someplace nearby that deals with the machine. It doesn't necessarily have to be placed in a mall.

Exactly, so no matter where sony puts a machine it will be in direct competiton. Not a good point for Sony IMO.

[quote]Aaaaaand this can't hurt their sales, for sure, so how in the blue holy **** will it hinder them? How is this a stupid decision? How is the display of everything Sony in one convenient little machine going to hurt them? Duh.

Wow. Ok Ill take this appart little by little.

Aaaaaand this can't hurt their sales, for sure, so how in the blue holy **** will it hinder them?

Because while it could boost sales theres more then just plopping a machine in the middle of a mall and waiting.
First they must build the Vending unit first, and from what we can see in the pictures is that it will be exspensive as hell to make. Then they have to pay the area to have that machine there. So inorder for it to be a wise investment it would have to sell enough merchandise to make up for its builing cost and to make up for the "rent" sony pays to have it their. Which is quite a feat, and if they dont pull it off it will hinder them

How is this a stupid decision?

Because they put these things it locations were electronic stores are neer. This hurts them in the goal of achiving profit for the cost of the machine.

How is the display of everything Sony in one convenient little machine going to hurt them?

Because the store with the same sh!t will most likely be only a short walk away and in that store you wont have to bend over to see all its products.

[quote]This is not a stupid decision, in which I will kindly explain to you.

Im still waiting for why.

Posted by Hyper

Tendoaddict, you are wrong. Fate is right. It really can't hurt. =/ It'll just be another eyesore :D

Posted by s0ul

This seems dumb. I guess it doesn't expressly **** me off, but it's in no way advantageous to just buying the **** thing in a store. Maybe it's just me, but actually looking at what I'm buying often plays a large role in my decision to buy a game.

Posted by JonMB