F***ING MEMORY CARDS

Posted by Speedfreak

I F[COLOR=lightgreen]U[/COLOR]CKING HATE THE BLASTED THINGS. IF YOU'RE ABOUT TO DELETE A SAVE FILE WITHOUT REALISING, F[COLOR=lightgreen]U[/COLOR]CKING SIRENS SHOULD GO OFF AND IT SHOULD TAKE 3 HOURS TO DO, WITH MESSAGES LIKE "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? THAT'S A BLOODY SAVE FILE" "STOP, YOU FOOL!".

I deleted my save file for Dragon Quest VIII with 25 hours played, and I got it like 4 days ago. I pressed up before selecting load without realising, then selected my file as normal without realising i was about to delete the f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cker. I'm not happy :)

This is about the 3rd time I've done this to a memory card, at least the entire smegging thing isn't wiped this time. Christ, might aswell BREAK THE DISC AND NEVER PLAY AGAIN.

Just so this thread has legitimacy, ever wipe your save file without paying attention like a Godd[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn moron?

Posted by Arcadios

Just to make sure I don't do that since I alwas do it, I keep a back up memory card with all the saved things as the other.

Posted by Klarth

Never! I have a Gamecube, which has that helpful "CONFIRM?" message in most games.

Posted by Speedfreak

I ONLY HAVE ONE.

Posted by Arcadios

I deleted my GTS:SA file more then once....never had the energy to go back and beat it.

Posted by Bebop

Speedfreak erased our Super Smah Bros Melee files.

Twice :)

Posted by Forbidden Toast

I've had mistakes with my memory cards, but I still wouldn't want to be without them. Since I have siblings, it is nice to have MY games on my own file. When we all played our N64, my games were CONSTANTLY getting erased, and they still would be if I didn't have memorycards, at a much larger rate than if I kept deleating them by accident.

Posted by mis0

I've never accidently deleted anything. I always get one of those 3rd party "4x" or whatever memory cards and back up everything onto it once a significant change has been made to any of my files (ex: unlocking something, new levels, etc).

Posted by Axis

360 and the hardrive for the win!

Posted by Speedfreak

Hard drives don't solve jack, you can still delete files.

Posted by Axis

I've had plenty more screw ups with a memory card. I went through about 2 or 3 memory cards on the PS2 that just flat out failed on me. I haven't had any problems with the hardrive at all. I remember I erased one of my Gamecube save files when I was managing my memory. You don't have to worry about it that much at all when you're on the 360 or Xbox, or even PC for that matter.

Posted by Speedfreak

Flash memory cards are typically more reliable then hard drives. PS2 cards don't use flash memory at all as far as I know, they're old battery-backup.

Posted by Fate

Oy, Addy! RPGs take a lot of energy to get into again if you delete the file and go through it. Luckily enough for your current location in the game, you barely scratched the surface. It shouldn't take you too long to reach it again the second time because you've become kind of a veteran.

As for the deletion of files, isn't DQVIII a PS2 game? You'd really have to go out of your way to delete it from the memory card. Unless there's a deletion option at the menu of the game that I don't remember, in which case I ask you to read carefully next time because it really is a good game and you should finish it.
:(

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: Flash memory cards are typically more reliable then hard drives. PS2 cards don't use flash memory at all as far as I know, they're old battery-backup.

Hmm, that's probably why I had a hard time with the PS2 ones. The Gamecube doesn't use flash, does it?

Posted by Speedfreak

Yup, GC cards use flash memory. That's why they were initially much smaller capacity than PS2 memory cards, flash memory was more expensive at the time than ordinary battery backup. But it's a heck of a lot more reliable, and seems to be a lot faster too.

Fate: It's on the main menu, at the top you can load your quest and at the bottom you can delete it. I pressed up without realising, and then select to select my adventure. Because the interface is EXACTLY THE SAME for deleting and loading, I had absolutely no idea. I then ignored the confirmation message as I had done several times when loading my game, and then it all went away.

I started again anyway, found a bunch of armour that I didn't even know existed which makes the beginning a heck of a lot easier.

Posted by Fate

Then don't be such a twitchy spaz and jerk your fingers around like that. :mad:

Posted by Echo

You seem to have lots of problems with memory cards, Adam. The only thing I've done is accidently save a save state on my FF III/VI ROM instead of load the save state, so my game data now just loaded to the title screen. Since than I've stopped using the default save state for ROMs. Luckily I was only like 5 hours into the game.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Every once in a while. It annoys the hell out of me.

Memory cards are teh gay. :(

Posted by poisonblood

I am always losing my ****ing memory cards in the mess that is my room.

Posted by ad_man63

One time I left a Playstation card at a friend's house. Mistaking it for her's she deleted EVERYTHING on it. This included my 99 hour games of FFVII, VIII, and IX, along with a bunch of awesome THPS 2 custom parks. I was ****ed :(

Posted by Last Fog

I've never had a problem with memory cards. I didn't know they were such a hassle, guess I'm lucky.

But really if you accidently delete something you can only blame your own carelessness.

Posted by The Wanderer

I have bad luck with memory cards. Alot of the time I freakin lose em or alot of my data gets corrupt.

Posted by Arczu

Yeah... I've done that twice, once on each game. Saved OVER my masterful FFVIII file, and baleeted our Soul Calibur II data (which had a hell of a lot of hours put into it mind you)... Let's say my brother was NOT impressed. We only got back to half the status now, but still.

Posted by Slade

I got my memory card erased by this faulty demo disc put out by Playstation Magazine. I didn't have any spectacular stats on any one game, but all together over a hundred hours.

I snapped the demo disc in two and vowed to never play or buy the game that erased everything.

Posted by poisonblood

That sucks.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]Then don't be such a twitchy spaz and jerk your fingers around like that.[/COLOR] :mad:

Heh, if they removed all the animation, talking and cutscenes from the game I'd finish it in about an hour. I get through menus pretty fast, more often than not I make my moves in a battle in under a second.

Posted by Fate

You really have no idea how long the game is. You spaz. :mad:

Posted by Zeta

My friends and I used to play PSO, offline mode. We just had fun running around, killing monsters, leveling up and stuff. My younger cousin started playing it while I wasn't around. As soon as I get home, I see that all my character data was erased. I had a Lv50 character, and now I had to start over. What's worse, when I managed to make some decent progress regaining what I lost, the little ****er goes and erases it again. I wanted to wring his neck.

He's done that with countless other games of mine as well.