So I bought that Creative Zen

Posted by Fate

First, Addy suggested I check it out as an alternative to the iPod. I checked it out and it was a neat little player that I thought I would like. I went to the Radio Shack and asked someone to compare the two products. The guy suggested I get the Zen. When I asked why, he said that it was cheaper even with shipping, the sound quality was better, and it held more memory (Zen Micro has 8GB, iPod Nano has 2GB). He also said that in order to use the iPod, every song had to be in iTune format or the songs wouldn't play.

The results of my purchase? I love this Zen. It's so neat and everything is synched and organized and so clear-sounding! Easy to replace if broken, too. Anybody else have this thing?

Posted by Klarth

Zen Micro, eh? I've heard from a few people that it's nifty - The colours are certainly more attractive, and it doesn't have any of those gimmicks the iPod have. I actually used one briefly, but I couldn't really get to grips with the vertical touch-strip control system - I'm not an Apple fanboy, but the iPod's clickwheel is so much easier to use, so I'll probably pick up one of those 30GB video ones after the next generation arrives.

I was considering getting a Zen Micro for the longest time, but then someone gave me a first-gen iPod and I decided I'd use it instead. It died, so now I just occasionally use my PSP.

In short? That was a ramble and you made a nice choice, I guess.

Posted by Dog

I've seen 'em before, though everyone that i know that had one sold it for an Ipod nano.

Posted by Fate

I do like the colors. It took me a while to get used to the thing in the middle because I really do like the wheel thing of the iPod, but after a while I realized that all I do is use the Search button anyways.

iPods are popular, so I wouldn't be surprised if anyone sold a Zen for one, or sold anything for one. I like mine.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

I used to have a Creative Muvo, but it quit working a month after I bought it. Piece of crap. I went upscale and bought an iPod video after returning the Muvo, and the Video kicks @ss.

Posted by Fate

Is that like a bigger Zen or something?

Posted by Dog

all the creative zens are fat.

no wonder not many people like them.

Posted by Fate

Mine's a Zen Micro. It's pretty small. :/

Posted by Dog

lol no i mean it's very thick. ipod nano is really thin.

Posted by Corrupt

Ah, so the Zen really is worth it? I've been seriously considering purchasing one lately, what with all the positive things I've heard about it from friends of mine. Still, though; I'm going to take the time to look at both the Zen and the iPod, even though I have a feeling I'll wind up getting a Zen. And out of curiousity, Fate, how much did yours cost?

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]Is that like a bigger Zen or something?[/COLOR]Nope, it's their entry level MP3 player. It only held 512 MB, as opposed to my 30 gig iPod.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Shdig: all the creative zens are fat.

no wonder not many people like them.

A lot of people are dumb. I have a 40 gig Nomad Zen Xtra and it's and it works great. It's bigger than an iPod but still small enough to fit in my coat or pants pocket. People sure get spoiled fast. Just a few years ago, we had to use portable CD players to listen to music and nobody really complained about the size. And they're a lot bigger than any Nomad. Anyway, I bought mine to play music, not because I wanted a fashion accessory.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Before I go rush out and get one....

Just how much of a price difference is there between the Zen and Ipods?

Posted by Dog

Quoting Philsdad: A lot of people are dumb. I have a 40 gig Nomad Zen Xtra and it's and it works great. It's bigger than an iPod but still small enough to fit in my coat or pants pocket. People sure get spoiled fast. Just a few years ago, we had to use portable CD players to listen to music and nobody really complained about the size. And they're a lot bigger than any Nomad. Anyway, I bought mine to play music, not because I wanted a fashion accessory.

I'm not complaining. I'm making a point.

Posted by Philsdad

No kidding, I wasn't talking about you in that post. I was talking about the kind of people who don't like Nomads/Zens because they're "so big" that you referred to..

Posted by Dog

i dont think their big. their big compared to ipods, but what i really meant was that they're thick. not big.

and yeah, i hate people that complain about that too..

Posted by higbvuyb

2gb flash > 8gb hard disk, because hard discs break easily. They're not really meant to be used when moving (or it may damage the disc), less so than CD players and those need lots of skip protection.Anyway,
iRiver >>>>>>>> Creative , because creative sucks, and all of their players have a 'omg curvy brick' kind of feel.

[quote=Shdig]i dont think there big. there big compared to ipods, but what i really meant was that there thick. not big.

and yeah, i hate people that complain about that too..Would you PLEASE learn to to tell the difference between a phrase that indicates a place, and a contraction for YOU ARE? You screwed it up three times in one post.

[quote=SapphireRose]Before I go rush out and get one....

Just how much of a price difference is there between the Zen and Ipods?

The 30 gig iPod video and the 30 gig Creative Zen Vision:M are the same price (300 dollars). It all comes down to personal preference, really - although the Zen does feature an FM radio and the ability to record off of FM stations. I would never use that anyways, and I like the iPod better, so I got that.

Posted by Fate

I do like that radio recording thing.

I paid $192 with shipping for my Zen. I would've paid $200+ from the Radio Shack for an iPod. I guess if you want to save a little money, that's how it goes.

Personally, I don't like the idea of converting every song in my library to iTunes, but I guess that's how it has to be for iPod users.

Posted by Klarth

Unless they use the iPod plugin for Winamp. Or install Podzilla on their iPod.

Note that having an adequate social life negates both of the above.

Posted by Fate

I have no idea what the both of those are. I will just be quiet. :)

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Fate: Personally, I don't like the idea of converting every song in my library to iTunes, but I guess that's how it has to be for iPod users.

You don't have to 'convert' anything to iTunes. iTunes isn't a music format, neither is it a religion. You only have to convert music to *.mp3 format if you have *.wma music and stuff. If all your music is in *.mp3 format, you don't have to do anything. iTunes then will just keep a record of where all your music is. It's easier than having to drag them in one by one, organising them in album, artist, etc folders.

Quoting Klarth: Unless they use the iPod plugin for Winamp. Or install Podzilla on their iPod.

Note that having an adequate social life negates both of the above.

Yeah, jsut like Firefox.
Anyway, you forgot Rockbox and mpd.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Fate: I have no idea what the both of those are. I will just be quiet. :)

lol k

Winamp's the most moddable dedicated music player on PC (although it plays videos and such, too, and has internet radio capabilities), and you can get a huuuuuge variety of plugins for it, such as this nifty one that allows me to show what I'm listening to just by hitting a keystroke:

np: Blind Guardian - "Fly" [05:45m/320Kbps/44KHz]

There are also a huge number of plugins for portable players, including iPods, iRiver and probably your Zen, too.

Podzilla's a simple Linux distro for iPod. It's not the most roundabout thing to install, but it allows a whole host of new functions, such as a pocket Wikipedia, NES and MAME emulation, fully customisable colours and the like... Rockbox, which Hig mentioned, is another alternative iPod firmware which is aimed at audiophiles. Huge amount of equaliser settings, and everything you can think of is customisable. The great thing about these two is that the need for iTunes or any other special software is negated - Just plug and play, and drag and drop. Also means that the songs won't need to be MP3 or anything faggish - You can have Musepack, OGG and even FLAC audio on an iPod. (I'm not sure if it supports FLAC by default, correct me if I'm wrong)

No idea what MPD is.

Posted by Fate

Quoting higbvuyb: You don't have to 'convert' anything to iTunes. iTunes isn't a music format, neither is it a religion. You only have to convert music to *.mp3 format if you have *.wma music and stuff. If all your music is in *.mp3 format, you don't have to do anything. iTunes then will just keep a record of where all your music is. It's easier than having to drag them in one by one, organising them in album, artist, etc folders.

When I said "convert to iTunes", I didn't think I'd be taken so literally. You have to convert them to Mp4s is what I heard.

Posted by Klarth

Not exactly. You can listen to Mp3 and the like in iTunes, but I think when you're shunting your music onto the iPod, it converts the copies on-the-fly.

Posted by Fate

Yeah, 'cause I think an Mp3 would take up too much memory or something.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Fate]When I said "convert to iTunes", I didn't think I'd be taken so literally. You have to convert them to Mp4s is what I heard.
was it tl: If all your music is in *.mp3 format, you don't have to do anything.

The iPod plays *.mp3 files.

Quoting Klarth: No idea what MPD is.

Its a module for podzilla 2 (However you can run it on podzilla as well). Its different to the normal podzilla built in music playing software.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

The Tosh Gigabeat seems to me, still, to be far superior than any other player. However, I've only ever seen them for sale on the interweb. Support for any type of audio file, which is then automatically converts to WMAs for you, and it's fully DRM compatible. The only thing I don't like about it is it encrypts them, so you can't get them back off the thing.

Posted by JonMB

My dad recently won a Zen Nano, it's pretty cool, but since I already have an iPod Shuffle I'm going to sell it on eBay probably. Or I might keep it to give away as a future gift...

Posted by warrozo

I love my Zen =]

Posted by Hyper

I had a 5GB Zen Micro and I loved the thing. Excellent player. Better than any iPod I ever tried.

But the Cowon iAudio X5 20GB is what I have now, and I like it a lot more. Video playback, more storage, bigger, colorful screen, more options, and sexier. :D

Posted by Fate

I use my music player for music. :mad:

You must use it for more unconventional things. Random Play All is the only thing I ever use. lol

Posted by Killer Jordo

Since this thread is revived. I was thinking about buying a Zen but I decided to just go buy another memory card for my Treo600. Which I use to play my music.

Posted by Hyper

I've found that phone mp3 players are inferior to the dedicated gadgets. The battery life is subpar and it usually disables most phone features in music mode.

Posted by higbvuyb

The Treo is a PDAphone, however, which isn't too bad when playing music.

Posted by Hyper

Yeah, I still consider it a phone, though.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

My P900 wasn't bad for music at all - the only problem was the storage space topped out at 512MB as it didn't accept Pro DUO. It sutomatically paused the music for calls, as well.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Quoting Hyper: Yeah, I still consider it a phone, though.

Yes, but you can turn the "phone" part off. And a friend of mine made a program that turns off the music when you have an incoming call. And turns it back on when you hang up. A little convienence since I had so many programs.

Posted by Hyper

Ah, sounds good then. Still, couldn't possibly have the same audio quality as an mp3 player.