Sony planning to release more versions of PS3

Posted by Klarth

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ken-kutaragi/kutaragi-announces-plans-to-confuse-ps3-gamers-even-more-179042.php

Enhanced processors, ram upgrades... Probably going to release a version that supports the new HDMI standard (1.3), too.

Downside: SEVEN-HUNDRED-AND-NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS or something

Posted by Zeta

Just keep shooting yourselves, Sony.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Sony is ghey. :D

Posted by Burrito

Wow. How low can Sony go?

Posted by Speedfreak

Nice one, now you want to compete with Microsoft. Are you totally nuts?

Posted by TendoAddict

G0D D@MN YOU SONY, G0D D@MN YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!1

But I won a bet with a friend , he said sony could screw up anymore and I said they could.

Guess who has $5 now?

Posted by Random

When will Sony die off...? :-\ ok I don't want them to die off. Just stop being so retarded. I felt the PSone was an awesome system. To this day I do. I thought the PS2 was a no where near the PSone game wise. I wonder how the PS3 will fair.

Posted by Axis

Man this isn't looking good at all.

Posted by Fate

Agreed. This pricing sucks.

But if Sony wants the fans to move to higher ground and start a new era of gaming, I'm going for it. I'm moving up with the company.

Posted by Speedfreak

What, move up to PCs?

Posted by Arcadios

Of course they have to have a high price since they put so mush stuff on it. If they put it lower then they wouldn't make a profit.
I go here to see whats up with the PS3 and the games coming out for it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3

Posted by Pit

I just spoke to Kutaragi on the phone. Every month a new PS3 will come out, like, upgraded. Pretty cool.

Like, PS3 - I, PS3 - II 800, so forth, awesome I can't wait.

Posted by Random

PSone>PS2>PS3...??? Is this a trend?

PSone in my mind was wayy better than the PS2, and the PS3 already sucks b*lls and its not even out.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Speedfreak: What, move up to PCs?

BUT THE PC IS DEAD, SONY SAID SO

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

CORRECTION: The PS3 IS the new PC.

Anywho, didn't a lot of people think the idea of two different 360s was a terrible idea? Now Sony wasn't to outdo MS by introducing three PS3s? Er, right.

Posted by SmileInYourSleep

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Wow, this is ridiculous, I don't know what else to say.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Fate: Agreed. This pricing sucks.

But if Sony wants the fans to move to higher ground and start a new era of gaming, I'm going for it.

But is it really a new era?

Their using the same controller for cry out loud.

IMO their not doing anything to step up except steping up graphics and the price. Its like saying the game boy color to the game boy pocket is a new era.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting TendoAddict:
But I won a bet with a friend , he said sony could screw up anymore and I said they could.

Guess who has $5 now?

Both of you?

Anywho, Sony, if you can hear me, you're being ****in' stupid.

Quoting TendoAddict:
IMO their not doing anything to step up except steping up graphics and the price. Its like saying the game boy color to the game boy pocket is a new era.

That's pretty much what the big deal is with every new generation of systems is. Graphics and what the price will be.

Posted by Random

Do you know what Sony spelled backwards is? It's Ynos and that just doesn't make sense. Sort of like what Sonys doing. It just doesn't make sense...

Posted by Echo

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Do you know what Sony spelled backwards is? It's Ynos and that just doesn't make sense. Sort of like what Sonys doing. It just doesn't make sense...

....That was dumb.

[quote=SapphireRose]That's pretty much what the big deal is with every new generation of systems is. Graphics and what the price will be.

Except with the Wii, which is what makes it great.

And Sony is going to have to lower the price a LOT and be able to get some real amazing games out if the plan on selling me a PS3.

Posted by TendoAddict

[QUOTE]Both of you?

That joke flew right over you're head.

[quote]That's pretty much what the big deal is with every new generation of systems is. Graphics and what the price will be.

Oviously you missed the whole point of the wii.

There trying to break away from that.

Its kind of like a revolution :cookie:

Posted by muffla

ill bet 5$ that before the end of next gen microsoft will buy sony

Posted by Speedfreak

I raise you $995.

Posted by Axis

...And I'll raise a Ham and Cheese sandwich. :cookie:

Quoted post: IMO their not doing anything to step up except steping up graphics and the price. Its like saying the game boy color to the game boy pocket is a new era.

Yeah, it's definitely not a new era. From the PSX to probably the PS3 will be regarded as the same era. But this generation isn't just about graphics... or at least it won't be very soon. If all games can look amazing, developers will have to start to realise that that can't be their main selling point anymore. Gameplay will probably play a huge role, as will online communities and things like the marketplace on the 360. That's at least how it should, hopefully, play out...

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: Yeah, it's definitely not a new era. From the PSX to probably the PS3 will be regarded as the same era. But this generation isn't just about graphics... or at least it won't be very soon. If all games can look amazing, developers will have to start to realise that that can't be their main selling point anymore. Gameplay will probably play a huge role, as will online communities and things like the marketplace on the 360. That's at least how it should, hopefully, play out...

True.

The raising of the graphics bar will hopefully urge developers to wow gamers in other ways.

Another think to consider is the price to make these new games. The higher price should discourage the amout of sheer cr@p. Hopefully...

Yet,

Is this intended or is it a by-product of sony's actions?

I would hope if they wanted better game play they wouldnt use a neerly similar controller for over a decade.

But hey, maybe the ps3.5 will show more hope.

Quoted post: I would hope if they wanted better game play they wouldnt use a neerly similar controller for over a decade.

You don't have to radically change the controller to get better gameplay. The developers just have to be more creative instead of thinking "lol purrty grafix". Plus, the Dual Shock is a huge success. People wanted it, and Sony gave it to them.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: You don't have to radically change the controller to get better gameplay. The developers just have to be more creative instead of thinking "lol purrty grafix".
But after so long a bit of change would be nice. Its been almost a decade of almost the same controller. While I do agree its not fully the controller, but after so long its going to get old. Its getting to the point where its like using a Snes controller for Snes, N64, and GC.

How long before they exhust a controller out?

How many new and fresh ways can you make a hack'n slash or a racing game before its just genaric any way you look at it?

[quote]The Dual Shock is a huge success. People wanted it, and Sony gave it to them.

They gave them the duel shock because it was familar and it was the trump card to to save their *** from the Boomerang.

And besides, the duel shock wasnt even sony's idea in the first place ;)

Quoted post:
But after so long a bit of change would be nice. Its been almost a decade of almost the same controller. While I do agree its not fully the controller, but after so long its going to get old. Its getting to the point where its like using a Snes controller for Snes, N64, and GC.

It has changed "a bit". Various buttons have been improved and it has motion technology built in.

Quoted post: They gave them the duel shock because it was familar and it was the trump card to to save their *** from the Boomerang.

And besides, the duel shock wasnt even sony's idea in the first place

The boomerang what never final. And whether it was Sony's idea or not, they made it popular and they made people love it.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]It has changed "a bit". Various buttons have been improved and it has motion technology built in.

Hardly. If you were to give people all three versions on the controller it would take them a few seconds to relise they were different.

[quote]The boomerang what never final.

But Sony oviously put alot of stock in it. It was never final but they took a lot of time to make the controller. When it flopped they had to do something fast. The duel shock was the safest bet.

[quote] whether it was Sony's idea or not, they made it popular and they made people love it.

I dont know where you get the "Love it" from. Ive asked alot of people IRL and on the web who used all the systems controllers and they keep saying that Duel shock is not the best.

If you mean its gotten by ok then yeah. But as for love, Im not so sure.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]The boomerang what never final. And whether it was Sony's idea or not, they made it popular and they made people love it.

We know that now, but that wasn't the story we got. They told us it was almost final and only a few small changes would be made.

Regardless, Nintendo essentially made Dual Shock popular because the thing's a bloody SNES pad. Last I checked, SNES was pretty darn popular back in the day!

Posted by mis0

The usual complaining about the DS2 is pretty stupid. Yeah, it's not the best, but I greatly prefer it to HUEG BOX controlers, and I prefer GCN controllers to the DS2.

Isn't it the games that matter, anyway? I've never found anything to be any less playable on the PS2 as compared to an Xbox or Gamecube version because of the controller.

Posted by Speedfreak

I have, Extreme-G 3. It's impossible to hold accelerate, fire and boost on a DS2. Not so on a GC pad.

Every single one of them has flaws.

Posted by Klarth

The ****ty analogue sticks aren't even textured. When I'm in the middle of a heated game of Generic FPS Title #12, I don't want my sweaty thumbs to be sliding all over the place.

Also, it's way too angular and small. XB Controller-S > GCN > HuegController > DS2.

Posted by mis0

Yes, inherently anything made by humans will have flaws.

edit: Too small? I think maybe I like it because I have small hands and on a hugebox I have to really stretch my hands to be able to press everything easily. On the DS2 everything is easily in reach, as with a GCN controller. As far as the analogue stick being "in the wrong place," I'd argue that it's more of an inability to adapt on the players part. Like I said - I've played lots of games on both, and I can pick up anything on the PS2 just as easily as I could on a GCN or XBox.

Posted by Speedfreak

yeah, actually, I do hate the grips on the DS2. They're the completely wrong shape, angle and size.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]Isn't it the games that matter, anyway?

The controllers affect the game alot. So much that you have to use one each time to play a game :rolleyes:

[quote]I've never found anything to be any less playable on the PS2 as compared to an Xbox or Gamecube version because of the controller.

It isnt a battle of if its useable or not but rather wich one is better. Sony is never on top it seems, GC controller is the best most of the time.

[quote] As far as the analogue stick being "in the wrong place," I'd argue that it's more of an inability to adapt on the players part.

While that might be true in most cases theirs a limit. The controller could stand some fundemental changes that would make it better.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting TendoAddict: I dont know where you get the "Love it" from. Ive asked alot of people IRL and on the web who used all the systems controllers and they keep saying that Duel shock is not the best.

Both game magazines and websites have chosen, as a majority within their respective staffs and readers ever since the PS1 days, that the Dual Shock is the best, most ergonomic controller in the market.

If you still have any doubts about its popularity, just look at how many anything-to-Dual Shock converters were made for PC, GCN and Xbox so you can use the PS2 controller in those systems, as opposed to the availability of these accessories to use other controllers on the PS2. For so many PS2 owners out there, you'd think there'd be more people displeased with the controller over non-PS2 console owners to create enough demand for GCN or Xbox controller converters, yet you'll likely find a device that can allow a PS2 controller to be used for the Xbox or PC instead of the opposite.

Then there was people hoping Sony would keep the Dual Shock for the next generation before any consoles were revealed, their anger at Sony's showing of the boomerang over the Dual Shock has been well documented, as well as the collective sigh of relief when Sony announced the Dual Shock 3.

You may disagree with the controller being as good as others think, but it's a stretch to deny its popularity over other controllers (before the Wii remote came long), regardless of how that popularity came to be.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Speedfreak: Nice one, now you want to compete with Microsoft. Are you totally nuts?

Yeah, sort of like how the PSP was wupposed to rival the ipod as well as other portable gadgets and gizmos. Ummmm.....yeah..... I have yet to see anyone on the street using a PSP as an MP3 player.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Opeth: Yeah, sort of like how the PSP was wupposed to rival the ipod as well as other portable gadgets and gizmos. Ummmm.....yeah..... I have yet to see anyone on the street using a PSP as an MP3 player.

I've seen many people use it as an MP3 player... People in my school would walk around with a PSP, using it as an MP3 player. Sure, It doesn't match up to the iPod, But it still offers the option of using it as an Mp3 player. If you do not own an iPod, but a PSP instead, Regardless if it's a piece of shit of an MP3 player, It still has the option.

Posted by Roxas23857

Sounds like the GBA all over again...what were they thinking for the GBA well now that we got the first out lets make others then right after the SP comes out we will hit them with the DS so they all get completely screwed and have no money!! WTF were they thinking!! Man and no Sony is doing this why can't they just be the same!! and nobody will get mad!

Posted by Fadedblood

Quoting muffla: ill bet 5$ that before the end of next gen microsoft will buy sony

Would they stop producing the play station or do both and reap all of the benefits?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Fadedblood: Would they stop producing the play station or do both and reap all of the benefits?

Neither, because it's very unlikely that Microsoft will buy Sony in the near future.

Posted by Fadedblood

ok, well in theory what if they did?

Posted by Speedfreak

Then PlayStation would be stopped and all the japanese devlopers would jump to Wii.