Ortho, Unortho, Traditional...blah blah

Posted by Forgotten Soul

I know so many people are used to different types of writing. Like orthodox, unorthodox...the one i am used to, Traditional....

Well, just an idea, but perhaps several of us should get together and come up with a simple, new way to sim around here that everyone agrees with.

If not, thats cool, I have no beef, but I thought it might be a good idea.

OR...perhaps appoint a council of some sort to settle disputes that might be going on in a thread. Like if someone doesnt agree with the way another person writes, someone step in to settle it.

I'm just throwin all kinds of ideas out here, because I have seem some stuff get heated in the past because of the way some people write. Mainly the n00bs who shot a Kamehameha wave and kills their opponent on the 3rd post.

Posted by S

Well, technically that's Crono and mine's job. We worked to get mods in here so we could work around spam without getting someone in here who doesn't understand. Also, I don't think either of us minds settling disputes objectively. But if you guys want to go even deeper into it, I wouldn't mind honestly. You guys really didn't get to decide, so why not give you the oppurtunity?

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Well if something like that is already into effect to take care of things like that, then I guess we are good to go.

You and Crono seem to be around enough to handle it, so rock on.

Posted by Strike

Not to bag on your idea, but from my experience, coming up with official 'styles' of sim battling puts up walls and draws barriers, and divides the sim battle community. What does that mean? No, not that we're not unified, but that you have less people to fight if you prefer a type!

We have a list of rules. I think, within the bounds of reason we have set in the rules, most characters are as powerful as you can imagine.

Give your opponent the benefit of the doubt when you register damage,

be respectful of the damage you take,

don't be unbeatable,

and don't control your opponent's character into doing stupid or unlikely things. If you do control your opponent's character, it should only be for the sake of roleplay, to allow a little intelligent conversation, or give them the opportunity to swipe aside a few blows or defend themselves during your post. It adds to the flavor of the battle, and your opponent doesn't feel dissed.

And people who break the rules - who needs 'em? They'll develop their own rep soon enough, you needn't feel beaten if they were cheap. Just consider the whole fight non-existant, and move on. Other people will come to the same conclusion that this person is a fool... or that person will wise up and improve.

That's the way it's always worked, and it seems to work fine.

Posted by S

Sounds good to me.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Strike, old friend, I couldnt of said it better myself. Thats how its always been in my mind. I have only just showed back up here, but from the looks of it, we dont have that much to worry about. I dont see a flood of new simmers comming in with their unbeatable, all-powerful characters.

Its all about the story..

Posted by Crono

Quoting Lunairetic: Well, technically that's Crono and mine's job.

Well actually Luna....I don't know if you were here that long ago, but I do believe our good friend Necro here was the Sim Battle forum mod before I got put up as one, and he left soon after. They modded you soon after, and I believe Echo had a shot at it as well if I remember correctly.

That was a long while ago though.

Posted by S

Oh, believe me. I know he was. I'm just saying that that's the role we've taken on here. That's all.

And I think it was Echo that recommended me. But it's been forever... Echo would know better than me.

By the way Echo, my AIM is messed up so I tried to respond but it won't let me back on it anymore. Sorry bud :/

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Ah, the days of runnin this place.....so so long ago.

Its actually kind of nice bein back...Ive enjoyed some of the stuff Ive come across here.

Posted by Chiaroscuro

Quoting Forgotten Soul: Ah, the days of runnin this place.....so so long ago.

Yeah...I did it for quite some time back in some of the busier times, around 2001, I think. Maybe even earlier. I'd work for a spot now if the board were busier or required my assistance.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Well if I have it my way...these boards will pick up a little more

Posted by Echo

Quoting Lunairetic: And I think it was Echo that recommended me. But it's been forever... Echo would know better than me.

Yeah, I don't think I ever actually modded this board. When they started looking for a new mod, I had the chance (since I was already mod for General Gaming), but that was when I began to be extremely inactive, so I figured it would be better in the hands of you two. So yeah, I recommended you. You're welcome.:p:

[quote]By the way Echo, my AIM is messed up so I tried to respond but it won't let me back on it anymore. Sorry bud :/

Heh, no worries. I just figured you weren't at the computer.

Posted by Delve

For the most part, when it comes down to using a specific roleplaying style that leads to a 'heated' discussion over--is usually by the inexperienced roleplayers. Only the experienced have a found respect for all the types of roleplaying including T1 and T2...(@_@ crazy people with their fast typing) If they seriously wanted to spar/fight someone they wouldn't let their ooc discussion take over, althought there are some people who enjoy drama--as sad as that may sound. I say, let them stranggle each other because they won't get nothing done and they won't make themselves seem worthy to the other roleplayers. I know it sounds bad, but think about it--does anyone really want roleplayers who preffer to do all 'talk' and no 'action'? They're just a waste of time--I say this as an experienced rp section moderator.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

I think each style has it's own purpose. If you want to have an all or nothing, blow **** the **** up type of battle, or basically a fast paced battle, you'd want to use Unorthodox...and if you wanted to implement some sort of super strategy or have a cool sword fight, you'd go with Orthodox...

I like them all now, actually, except for those stupid typing battles.

Posted by Delve

Speed fighting...it's just too much for me..even if it's just 2-3 sentences. Your attack doesn't go through if you mispell something too--it's cheap and lame..XD But hey, I don't mind watching it sometimes.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

The only speed fighting I ever liked that I tried was very simple, it was something like *Attack* *Defend* *Parry* etc., but you could make stuff up if you could type faster than the opponent like *Slash at arm* and disable them or something. It was kind of cool.