Wireless Router Issues

Posted by Shin-Ra

First of all, let it be known that I don't know very much about computers. At all. So I'm pretty ignorant to this stuff, and I'm sure it'll show.

Alright, here's the deal. I'm not sure if I need to invest in getting a new wireless router or if my dad's computer is at fault. I'm using a 2.4 GHz Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router for my dad's computer and a 2.4 GHz Linksys Wireless-B USB Network adapter for my computer. The thing is, after a certain amount of time the internet stops working, as shown by the cable modem hooked up to the router and consequently to my dad's computer (or whichever way it goes, you get the idea). There's also been times I've gotten a "limited connectivity" error on my computer. I mean, the signal from the router is still received on my computer and all, but the modem doesn't show internet activity and there's not internet connection on my computer. However, when the router is taken out of the picture, my dad's computer receives internet connection when hooked directly to the modem.

The wireless network is usually functional once the Linksys program is reinstalled into my dad's computer. Oh, and I'm using RoadRunner if that helps any.

Anyway, this is the reason I haven't been able to log on for quite some time and I'm getting pretty sick of it. Should I get a new wireless router, could the signal just be really crappy, is my dad's computer to blame, or does it have to do with a certain amount of content I download (music) from the internet? Basically, I'm at a loss here and I haven't had any success with the help feature or instruction manual that came with all this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Proto Man

So let me get this straight... you computer is connected wirelessly, while your dad's is hard wired to the router... correct?

Also, are they both desktops? I have an idea of what is wrong here, but I am just trying to get some more info before I make final judgement.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Yes, my computer is connected wirelessly and his has a direct cable connection to the router. And yes, we're both on desktops.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Shin-Ra: Yes, my computer is connected wirelessly and his has a direct cable connection to the router. And yes, we're both on desktops.

Ahh.... I see.

Well it's probably just your USB adapter. My suggestion is that you get a PCI card.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470730

Posted by Shin-Ra

I'm not sure it's that though. When the router hooked up to my dad's computer stops recognizing an internet connection, he can't access the computer from his computer. So are you sure it'd be the USB adapter on my computer that's not directly linked to the cable?

Posted by Lord of Spam

I swear to *** I read this as wireless raptor jesus.

Honestly, have you tried calling Linksys tech support? They may be able to help you out/annoy the hell out of you.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Lord of Spam]Honestly, have you tried calling Linksys tech support?
...bol

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Can't help you. BUT, I can sympathise. I have a similar problem, though definitely not as severe. :(

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Shin-Ra: I'm not sure it's that though. When the router hooked up to my dad's computer stops recognizing an internet connection, he can't access the computer from his computer. So are you sure it'd be the USB adapter on my computer that's not directly linked to the cable?

What? I thought your dad was actually getting a connection?

Posted by Toon

I have the same problem, but mine is opposite, I am directly connected to our wireless router and my brother gets random disconnections.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Toon: I have the same problem, but mine is opposite, I am directly connected to our wireless router and my brother gets random disconnections.

If you could give us more info, it would help. :)

Posted by Toon

Well every so often i get the error "Network cable has been unplugged" im using a netgear wireless router that has 2 computers connecting to our 1.5 mb connection. I am not sure why but it has been having disconnection problems on both the wiresless and my (direct connection) computer, It hasnt dropped out in a little while now but it does happen randomly.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Toon: Well every so often i get the error "Network cable has been unplugged" im using a netgear wireless router that has 2 computers connecting to our 1.5 mb connection. I am not sure why but it has been having disconnection problems on both the wiresless and my (direct connection) computer, It hasnt dropped out in a little while now but it does happen randomly.

Well... make sure your network is secure. I know we were having droping problems all the time, and it was becasue of free-loaders leaching off our internet! :mad:

But yeah it could be that, it could be the router itself.