Strange Sleeping Phenomenon?

Posted by NightmareBassX

Hm, Now like some people, I go to sleep listening to music. Over time I fall asleep (Suprised, Right?), and sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night like some people do. I'll notice that the music on my CD player stopped, because I had woken up say 5 hours after I actually fell asleep. I'll turn it on... And for some reason, it seems like the music plays at a faster pace. Like it goes 150% faster. It has always bugged me, and I've experienced this for many years. I've never actually known someone who's had this happen to them. I was wondering if any of you have had this same... Uh, Well, Im not even gonna call it a problem for myself, since I enjoy it when it goes faster. I've been meaning to make this thread for along time.

Posted by Crazy K

Interesting.

Anyways, I think that because you woke up from a long time sleep your less unaware of what is going on. The main reason as to why is because you just woke up and you still have not had time to fully wake yourself up.

Also I had somewhat of a same problem. I would wake up one morning for school and go start to make breakfast, to realize it was only 2:00 in the morning and I still had a few hours or so to sleep, its weird.

But that's what I think, I may have to try this out one of these times.

Posted by Slade

What kind of music do you normally listen to, Bass?

Posted by Dexter

I used to have this happen to me all the time. Sometimes, back in my Sega days, when I would get a new game, I'd wake up super early and start playing it. The game music and play would somehow feel incredibly fast or in a way slow. It was difficult to tell, but it was really odd and I always felt I was the only one who this happened to. I used to try to explain it to people, but I got blank gazes. It didn't seem to happen towards nighttime, no matter how tired I was, only in the mornings.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I've had this happen to me a few times. I've never been able to describe it to people, and I never thought it happened to anyone else. But yes, I've been through it before as well.

No way I'd ever be able to tell you the cause, though.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Crazy K: Interesting.

Anyways, I think that because you woke up from a long time sleep your less unaware of what is going on. The main reason as to why is because you just woke up and you still have not had time to fully wake yourself up.

Also I had somewhat of a same problem. I would wake up one morning for school and go start to make breakfast, to realize it was only 2:00 in the morning and I still had a few hours or so to sleep, its weird.

But that's what I think, I may have to try this out one of these times.

I know what you mean by not being unaware, But I am. I feel fully aware, just pretty tired and drowsy from waking up. I remember what I did... Also, if it was like that, wouldn't it have happened to some other people aswell? This has always confused me. I used to think it was just that when you are very tried and drowsy, your concept of how much time passes is changed. But if that were it, it'd happen to other people...

It happened to me a couple nights ago also, and its probably what finally made me make this thread. I was listening to Advent : One winged angel. I actually like when it happens though, and sometimes I WANT to wake up in the middle of the night, because it always happens when I wake up, because I love how the music sounds sped up.

This is so... Confusing.

Posted by Last Fog

Thats really strange. Never heard of this before.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Could of sworn I just saw someone here where Sapphires post was... They had 1 post and it said something like "Cool. I sleep sometimes too." Pressed the back key, persons name was Ell... What happened!? I can screencap it.

Posted by Last Fog

Perhaps http://vgchat.com/member.php?u=3163

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Last Fog: Perhaps http://vgchat.com/member.php?u=3163

Yes... But what happened? The post is gone, its not even deleted.

Photobucket keeps resizing my **** image. You can't see anything.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting NightmareBassX:
It happened to me a couple nights ago also, and its probably what finally made me make this thread. I was listening to Advent : One winged angel. I actually like when it happens though, and sometimes I WANT to wake up in the middle of the night, because it always happens when I wake up, because I love how the music sounds sped up.

This is so... Confusing.

You're not alone. The effect is almost.... intoxicating. There have been times where I've tried to force myself to wake up prematurly for it to happen too.

At the risk of sounding stupid, I feel overjoyed that this happens to others as well. :D

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting SapphireRose: You're not alone. The effect is almost.... intoxicating. There have been times where I've tried to force myself to wake up prematurly for it to happen too.

At the risk of sounding stupid, I feel overjoyed that this happens to others as well. :D

It is... Er, this has just become so **** interesting. I don't think I'll drop this.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Likewise, when I say force myself awake, I mean with my own will power. I've only been able to do this a couple times, though. ;_;

Posted by Slade

Heh, I'd like to know who made that account. IP check, anyone?

Unfortunately, and I say so because it sounds like a nice experience, I never wake up in the middle of the night and listen to music. I don't listen to music as I sleep, either, unless I'm riding in a car or plane. I once spent the night at a friends house and he played jazz every night, but it kept me awake. I remember the music sounding strange as I dropped into dreamland but that was because I was paying so much attention to it because it was new and different.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Dexter]I used to have this happen to me all the time. Sometimes, back in my Sega days, when I would get a new game, I'd wake up super early and start playing it. The game music and play would somehow feel incredibly fast or in a way slow. It was difficult to tell, but it was really odd and I always felt I was the only one who this happened to. I used to try to explain it to people, but I got blank gazes. It didn't seem to happen towards nighttime, no matter how tired I was, only in the mornings.

I did the same thing, I would wake up at an early time (Around 8:00-9:00am and start playing a new game I just got. Except I can't recall ever experiencing what you did.

Posted by Xenos

Uhh the post by Ell was deleted - but not by mean.

Posted by The Judge

I go to sleep listening to music quite a lot, and I've never tried to replay it and had it go faster. Perhaps the problem is your actual CD Player.

Posted by mis0

I listen to music when I sleep every night, usually classical or new age (like Enya) because they are very unlikely to wake me up. The only thing that ever happens to me, is that often times the music enters my dreams and becomes say, what someone is singing, music on the car stereo, etc. This happens in the early morning hours, and I've always assumed it is because a slow waking-up process or because the brain is trying to connect the subconscious with data being processed in REM sleep.

I can't say anything about what you've experienced though. It's certainly strange. You might want to look it up, because it probably has something to do with the fact your brain is working hard to synthesize what you experienced in the day, and learn from it.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting The Judge: I go to sleep listening to music quite a lot, and I've never tried to replay it and had it go faster. Perhaps the problem is your actual CD Player.

Nah, Its not my CD player. I've had other CD players over the years, plus a stereo playing. Have you woke up in the middle of the night, and tried going back to sleep with it on?

Posted by Dexter

It has nothing to do with his CD player or his choice of music. I'm sure the same thing happens to him sometimes when he's simply walking around the house or conversing to someone, right? It's just that having the music on during the night has helped him notice it more. That's probably more of a rarity, though it is possible. It's a natural human tendency that happens to numerous people.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting NightmareBassX: Nah, Its not my CD player. I've had other CD players over the years, plus a stereo playing. Have you woke up in the middle of the night, and tried going back to sleep with it on?

Actually, funny story. I was listening to Blind Guardian once on my walkman (with no intent on going to sleep) and I blinked. When I blinked, the CD had skipped 6 tracks and I was very confused until I was informed I had fallen asleep while sitting up. I guess I didn't even notice it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting NightmareBassX: Hm, Now like some people, I go to sleep listening to music. Over time I fall asleep (Suprised, Right?), and sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night like some people do. I'll notice that the music on my CD player stopped, because I had woken up say 5 hours after I actually fell asleep. I'll turn it on... And for some reason, it seems like the music plays at a faster pace. Like it goes 150% faster. It has always bugged me, and I've experienced this for many years. I've never actually known someone who's had this happen to them. I was wondering if any of you have had this same... Uh, Well, Im not even gonna call it a problem for myself, since I enjoy it when it goes faster. I've been meaning to make this thread for along time.

lol wut?

But no, its never happaned to me. Maybe you have some sort of brain cancer:cookie:

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Lord of Spam: lol wut?

But no, its never happaned to me. Maybe you have some sort of brain cancer:cookie:

I meant bugged as in I've always wanted to know what it was. I may like when it happens, but it still bothered me that it even did happen. People like to have a reason for why things happen...

... Zephyr?

(Look at my post count... :()

Posted by Crazy K

I don't know I still think its the fact that you just wake up and feel sleepy yet. Sometimes I would wake up because of someone entering my room, then I just fall back to sleep. The next morning I sometimes won't remember it or it just seems like it never even happened.

So I just think your still out of it when you play your CD.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Crazy K: I don't know I still think its the fact that you just wake up and feel sleepy yet. Sometimes I would wake up because of someone entering my room, then I just fall back to sleep. The next morning I sometimes won't remember it or it just seems like it never even happened.

Then how do you know you ever woke up in the first play? ;)

Posted by s0ul

They mention it. A lot of times my mom will wake me up and tell me she's going somewhere and actually have a conversation with me, and I'll wake up again later with no memory of it at all.

A lot of times when I'm about to fall asleep, I start thinking nonsense things, but in my exhausted stupor, it seems as though I understand things on levels that I can't understand them when I'm fully awake. Then I usually snap out of it and don't know what the **** I was thinking, then proceed to go "Alright, nonsense!" because I know then that I am about to fall asleep.

Posted by mis0

Well, that's part of the sleep process. Your mind tries to create new ways of looking at a situation, event, etc, to see if more can be learned and applied from said situation. This is why there's the saying "sleep on it" - because it really can give one insight or new, usuable knowledge.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=NightmareBassX]Then how do you know you ever woke up in the first play?

I really don't know, its just weird. I do remember when it happens but later on when I wake up it seems like I can't remember it that much. Like if my dad were to walk in my room just when I were about to fall asleep, then I wake up an hour or so later and forget it entirely or remember it but don't recall what really happened.

I just don't know, its weird. But it has happened to me a few times.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Misoxeny: Well, that's part of the sleep process. Your mind tries to create new ways of looking at a situation, event, etc, to see if more can be learned and applied from said situation. This is why there's the saying "sleep on it" - because it really can give one insight or new, usuable knowledge.

Hm, that is quite insightful, but I could swear what I think in those times is nonsense. I could never confirm this though because I never can remember what it was that I was thinking about.

Posted by JonMB

Very interesting. I've studied dreams and some sleep things for years but I haven't heard about this.

Posted by mis0

I'm no expert, but this is part of what the modern belief on sleep is, and why so much importance is placed on it. I actually consider sleep to be one of the more important parts of the learning process when it comes to problem-solving, because it allows me to seamlessly synthesize all of the things I know, and things from memories, and to combine them effectively to create a solution. I think some of the more complex solutions I've derived have often come about after a good nights sleep, and this has been especially true in regards to the conceptual Hydrogen car project I'm involved in.

Sleep is a wonderful tool, not just rest.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I've noticed something interesting when I got to sleep - possibly not similar, but interesting - and it's to do with my imagination.

Next time you're dog tired and just have to go to bed and collapse, try and imagine a human body standing up. For some reason when I do this when I'm tired, I can't imagine them normally-proportioned. Either they're literally as thin as a pencil, or they're fat to an enormous degree. But I can't see them, in my mind's eye, as being normal-sized.

Posted by sabre

Quoting s0ul: They mention it. A lot of times my mom will wake me up and tell me she's going somewhere and actually have a conversation with me, and I'll wake up again later with no memory of it at all.
Yeah, I've had that. A lot. It just doesn't stick in unless you stay awake. From what I gather lots of people wake up multiple times during an average night, don't have any recollection of it in the morning. They can even go to the toilet and not remember it at all.

I think I might have been doing that lately, I don't really know why. It's a feeling more than anything.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting s0ul: They mention it. A lot of times my mom will wake me up and tell me she's going somewhere and actually have a conversation with me, and I'll wake up again later with no memory of it at all.

A lot of times when I'm about to fall asleep, I start thinking nonsense things, but in my exhausted stupor, it seems as though I understand things on levels that I can't understand them when I'm fully awake. Then I usually snap out of it and don't know what the **** I was thinking, then proceed to go "Alright, nonsense!" because I know then that I am about to fall asleep.

I know what you mean... I've had times where I woke up so tired to go to middle school, I'd head into the shower, and I wouldn't think correctly. It was wierd, I'd be under this wierd delusion that im killing things or something, or Im supposed to be doing something of huge importance. Its basically a dream, with half-consciousness.

Miso - I've never actually know this, its very informative. When they say "sleep on it", I figured they meant thing of benefits and such... In a way, it is that, and Im sure thats what they mean since they don't know what you know, but im sure the term was derived from what you are saying.

Wings - I've actually experienced what you are talking about. I try to think of what a human shape looks like, and how a person looks... But they don't come out how they should, they come out differently, as if I cannot imagine how they would look in a situation I have no experienced. Its wierd...

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Quoting Dexter: I used to have this happen to me all the time. Sometimes, back in my Sega days, when I would get a new game, I'd wake up super early and start playing it. The game music and play would somehow feel incredibly fast or in a way slow. It was difficult to tell, but it was really odd and I always felt I was the only one who this happened to. I used to try to explain it to people, but I got blank gazes. It didn't seem to happen towards nighttime, no matter how tired I was, only in the mornings.

This happens for me alot also. I think it is the sleepiness.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting s0ul: I start thinking nonsense things, but in my exhausted stupor, it seems as though I understand things on levels that I can't understand them when I'm fully awake.

Welcome to being high.