Sony calls PS3 innovative, laughs at Wii

Posted by Klarth

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pc-gaming/sony-pc-dead-nintendo-for-kids-we-innovate-k-179882.php

Oh, and apparently PC is dead as a gaming platform.

I wonder when Harrison's going to remove his head from his *** and his fingers from his ears?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Pretty sure Speedfreak posted this all ready.

Posted by Klarth

Looked for a thread, didn't see one.

yeah, it's titled something like "hey, look at what that dickhead said this week".

er, similar anyways.

Posted by Speedfreak

I didn't, and to be honest the PC pretty much is dead as a gaming platform.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, we know he's a dip****. There's been like 100 threads over this the past couple years.

Quoted post: I didn't

Hmm, someone did. I remember discussing it... I guess I just assumed it was you who made it.

Edit: I can't find it, so maybe it was just a post. But it was a quote taken from an article... the person underlined the oddities in it and everything...

idk :(

Posted by Last Fog

Vampiro, I think you mean this http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=14128

It's funny how bold this douchebag is, basically saying that the PS3 will render PC's obselete. LOL!

No that's not it. Oh well, doesn't matter.

Posted by Arczu

Some people need to get their heads out of their pompous A*S... seriously...

Posted by Bebop

So what is it about the PS3 that is so innovative? Does he actually say?

Posted by Klarth

According to Phil Harrison, the controller of all things. Check his interview in the new EDGE.

HEY SONY, KNOW WHY THE PC'S DEAD? One word: ROOTKIT.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Klarth: According to Phil Harrison, the controller of all things.

How is the controller innovative at all?

How can he call the wii not innovative?

How can he call the ps3 special?

Why do they let this *** speak?

Why hasnt some one beat him down to put him out of his misery?
---------------------

As for the Computer thing.

I feel that computers are dieing. Now adays its just doesnt seem to be worth the hastle. What gave computers its edge the systems are starting to do. The graphics are not as far appart from the two platforms as they once were and the accuracy with the mouse is in competition for the wiimote.

But if he thinks this was due to sony then the reason why the computers are dieing is because they're laughing to death.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting TendoAddict: As for the Computer thing.

I feel that computers are dieing. Now adays its just doesnt seem to be worth the hastle. What gave computers its edge the systems are starting to do. The graphics are not as far appart from the two platforms as they once were and the accuracy with the mouse is in competition for the wiimote.

But if he thinks this was due to sony then the reason why the computers are dieing is because they're laughing to death.
Not really, the people who always chose PC will continue to choose the PC over whatever home console comes out. Sure some people may start console gaming now for the first time, but PC is far from dying.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Last Fog: Not really, the people who always chose PC will continue to choose the PC over whatever home console comes out. Sure some people may start console gaming now for the first time, but PC is far from dying.

All that told me is that hard core Pc's fans will keep buying PC's and games. That does not hold much water in telling me the well being of Gameing PC's.

In fact what you said is basically fill in the bank, you could of just said anything else in place of PC and console and it could mean the same thing.

For example:

" Not really, the people who always chose hot dogs will continue to choose the hot dogs over whatever hamburgers comes out. Sure some people may start ear burgers now for the first time, but hot dog's are far from dying."

Now If you find information like a of year to year comparsions of sales or a quote from an insider I would submit.

But as it stands I cannot accept you're answer.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting TendoAddict:

In fact what you said is basically fill in the bank, you could of just said anything else in place of PC and console and it could mean the same thing.

For example:

" Not really, the people who always chose hot dogs will continue to choose the hot dogs over whatever hamburgers comes out. Sure some people may start ear burgers now for the first time, but hot dog's are far from dying."

I could replace any word in any of your posts with a different word, doesn't mean a **** thing.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Klarth: ROOTKIT.

Explain

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting s0ul: ...

I could replace any word in any of your posts with a different word, doesn't mean a **** thing.

I posted an belief of the waining of the PC and cited examples. One of Graphical difference wich is shrinking and one of the Accuracy of the Mouse Vs. the Wiimote.

He made a counter arguement that said PC's were just fine. But fog IMO didnt support such claims and his counter post was very mild.

My point was that his counter agruement held little water.

Its like you saying some thing and me saying that you're wrong. Then my arguement didnt prove anything and was a very plain answer. You would want better reasoning , no?

You're right in the aspect that most of my post's can be fill in the blank as could most others.

But when its a debate on beliefs I want better answers.

Posted by Burrito

Where exactly did they say that the PS3 was innovative in that article?

Posted by The Wanderer

Sony totally ripped off nintendo. The public is probably going to goe with the ps3 as the "innovator". But on the other hand, since the darn thing is so expensive, many people, like myself, may go with nintendo instead of the ps3.
Oh and just while were on that subject, in this months egm, Ken Kutagari of sony said the price for the ps3 is TOO cheap. Not many people are going to pony up 600 dollars for the thing.

Posted by El Cascade

Quoting TendoAddict: How is the controller innovative at all?

Because it has warp drive! ZOOOOM!

Quoting TendoAddict: How can he call the wii not innovative?

Maybe he just doesn't dig the name.

Quoting TendoAddict: How can he call the ps3 special?

Might be cuz he gets paid to do that.

Quoting TendoAddict: Why do they let this *** speak?

I wonder the same thing about 3/4 of the Earth's population.

Quoting TendoAddict: Why hasnt some one beat him down to put him out of his misery?

Cuz it's not worth getting all worked up over. Unless you like being slapped across the face with lawsuits.

Anyways...I'll be getting the PS3 almost for sure. Basically for the backward compatability (same reason I initially got the PS2). However, I expect that enough worthwhile games will appear eventually that will make it worth the buy. Though, I may not buy it right away, since I am honestly content with what I have now (PS2, GC, GBA). I have a PSP, but I haven't actually taken it out yet...so it doesn't count. I'll probably mess around with it at some point though. Ultimately, it all depends on the games. Just so happened that PS2 (as well as PS1) were home to RPG's, and since that's my favorite genre, it's only natural that I own the console(s). I bought my GC soley for two games. Skies of Arcadia: Legends and Tales of Symphonia. Well worth it. Well worth it indeed.

So yeah...who gives a **** what some random idiot you've never even met has to say. If you care that much, then you should either get a life/job/girl/hobby, or...put yer money where your mouth is, buy a gun, and go shoot the MOTHER EFFING BASTARD before he holds another press conference or whatever it is that he does that irks you so. What the **** is juice!?

PS: Swear filter = weak sauce.

Posted by Zeta

Yeah, the censoring fucking sucks, doesn't it? :D

Y'know, I've always wondered, do people like Phil Harrison see anything that people say about them online?

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Zeta: Y'know, I've always wondered, do people like Phil Harrison see anything that people say about them online?
For all we know, El Cascade could be Phil Harrison.

Posted by Killer Jordo

As if the PS3 will make the PC obsolete. I have always used my PC, and always will! Can I hook my palm pilot up to a PS3? NO! Can I hook my printer up to my PS3? NO! NO! NO! NO! I have never been a big fan of Sony. I have always liked Nintendo, and I always will. And how the [COLOR="White"]fuc[/COLOR]k can they say the Wii isn't innovative?!?!?! Their controller alone beats anything Sony is giving us!

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Ah, but the gratuitous ports guarantee that you will be able to hook up your palm pilot, printer, and microwave oven up to the ps3, Killer Jordo. You won't be able to do anything, but the connection speed will be amazing and the screen that pops up to let you know your device is working properly will be rendered in rich 3D that looks at least as good as last-gen X-box graphics.

Posted by Moogs

Quoting Zeta: Yeah, the censoring fucking sucks, doesn't it? :D

Y'know, I've always wondered, do people like Phil Harrison see anything that people say about them online?

F*** Him. I hope that a**hole reads all this. And I hope he dies, too.

Posted by Klarth

LEAVE THE POOR MAN, HE DID A GREAT JOB OF DEMONSTRATING THE WONDERFUL USES OF A PSP AS A... REAR-VIEW MIRROR.

YEAH! HANDHELD-TO-CONSOLE COMPATABILITY! INNOVATIVE, YEAAAAAH!

Posted by Speedfreak

I find it absolutely hilarious that they screwed up copying Nintendo's best innovation but managed to copy one of their worst perfectly.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]LEAVE THE POOR MAN, HE DID A GREAT JOB OF DEMONSTRATING THE WONDERFUL USES OF A PSP AS A... REAR-VIEW MIRROR.

Good thing Sony's not about gimmicks. Oh wait..

Posted by El Cascade

I really don't see what the big deal is. Then again, being a true gamer...ultimately, all I really care about are the games. I'd still be happy playing on a 32-bit console. The PS1 was a haven for RPGs. A golden age, even. In fact, with all the ultra high detailed graphics that some of the games are sporting nowadays, I've been noticing a rather disturbing trend... *looks right at Squenix* ...favoring "style" over "substance". Not a good thing, especially in RPGs. A perfect example of this phenomenon would be Grandia III. Looks great, and of course, has the spectacularly awesome Grandia battle system...however, the story and characters (most important aspects of any RPG) are far far faaaaar below par. Put simply...they effing suck. Fortunately, this is still a reasonably infrequent occurance, however...with the advent of the next generation of consoles, I worry that we'll end up with more RPGs like Grandia III...

Sooooo...yeah. I really don't give a rat's *** how much more powerful one system is when compared to the next. All I care about are the *** **** games. Cuz really, that's all that matters in the end.

=/

Posted by Speedfreak

Get the hell out, the SNES was the golden age of RPGs.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Speedfreak: I find it absolutely hilarious that they screwed up copying Nintendo's best innovation but managed to copy one of their worst perfectly.

Which one was the worst?

[quote]the SNES was the golden age of RPGs.

Amen.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Zeta]
Which one was the worst?
Console-handheld connectivity.

Posted by Bebop

Why does everyone hate the GBA link up! I thought it was well and when used well was great! :(:(:(

Posted by Klarth

Only games in which it actually added DECENT functionality to the game were Rayman and Wind Waker. It just wasn't used well enough. I think we can expect DS-Wii connectivity to be a lot better, what with the touch screen being a LOT more intuitive.

Posted by TendoAddict

Yea the DS to Wii sounds like it will be much better.

The GBA didnt really help you do anything better. It just was really used to help unlock things. The reward wasnt worth the **** cable.

But now that the DS and Wii will hook wirelessly more people will be able to use it. The touch screen could actually be useful in a ton of ways. Its alot stronger now then back then.

[quote]I find it absolutely hilarious that they screwed up copying Nintendo's best innovation but managed to copy one of their worst perfectly.
I would think that nintendos worse innovation was the E-reader card shi!t they made. You know, where you had to swipe a ton of cards to get bonuses for stuff. It didnt take off.

Atleast the Handheld to System has more opertunity with the DS and wii, those cards are worthless.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=TendoAddict]I would think that nintendos worse innovation was the E-reader card shi!t they made. You know, where you had to swipe a ton of cards to get bonuses for stuff. It didnt take off.
DON'T WORRY, BECAUSE THIS "EYE OF JUDGEMENT" GAME ON PS3 IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Klarth]Console-handheld connectivity.

...you're dumb. I said they copied "one of their worst" perfectly, and the only thing Sony have copied perfectly is handheld linkup. Nintendo have done far worse things, like Virtual Boy.

I'm actually a fan of GBA link-up when it's done right, but I by no means thinnk it's one of their greatest ideas.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Speedfreak:
I'm actually a fan of GBA link-up when it's done right, but I by no means thinnk it's one of their greatest ideas.

So this would rise the question,

Was it bad idea or just one that was poorly executed?

We can all agree that hook up between the two could of been better. But was it one of nintendo's worse? Maybe its not as bad as it seems just too young in the making. Oviously the wireless will make a huge percentage of people who can use it rather then having to buy a cord.

But I guess time will tell if it was bad or just poorly done.

Posted by Speedfreak

Considering their only 2 really bad ideas are Virtual Boy and GBA Link-up, yes, it's one of the worst.

It wasn't poorly executed in my opinion, at least not by Nintendo. The only problem with it was that the games that used it really well needed 4 GBAs with 4 people playing often.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting El Cascade: The PS1 was a haven for RPGs. A golden age, even.

I share the feeling. I enjoyed more RPGs for the PS1 than I did for any other console. I'm still trying to find more I've missed. Sweet memories, indeed.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote]Prince Shondronai agrees: And probably the only one they will ever have.

No, there's still GBA and DS. RPGs have always felt better on handhelds anyway.

Posted by El Cascade

You can't seriously sit there and claim that the PS1 wasn't a true haven for RPG's. You just can't. And here's why:

Suikoden
Suikoden II
Grandia
Wild ARMs
Wild ARMs 2
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Arc the Lad Collection
Lunar: SSSC
Lunar II: Eternal Blue
Legend of Legaia
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Valkyrie Profile
Xenogears
Vanguard Bandits
Parasite Eve
Thousand Arms
Brave Fencer Musashi
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia (a.k.a. Tales of Destiny II)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

That's what I see when I turn around and take a mere glimpse at my personal collection. Now, I realize that not all people would agree that the games listed here are "classics"...however, the fact remains that many of them indeed are. Also, several of the series listed (such as the truly awesome Suikoden series) made their debut on the PS1. Therefore...I rest my case, for I have definitively proven that the PS1 was, in fact, a haven for RPGs.

Muahahahahahahahahahahaha...! *evil Bender-esque laugh*

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=El Cascade]You can't seriously sit there and claim that the PS1 wasn't a true haven for RPG's. You just can't. And here's why:

Suikoden
Suikoden II
Grandia
Wild ARMs
Wild ARMs 2
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Arc the Lad Collection
Lunar: SSSC
Lunar II: Eternal Blue
Legend of Legaia
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Valkyrie Profile
Xenogears
Vanguard Bandits
Parasite Eve
Thousand Arms
Brave Fencer Musashi
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia (a.k.a. Tales of Destiny II)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

That's what I see when I turn around and take a mere glimpse at my personal collection. Now, I realize that not all people would agree that the games listed here are "classics"...however, the fact remains that many of them indeed are. Also, several of the series listed (such as the truly awesome Suikoden series) made their debut on the PS1. Therefore...I rest my case, for I have definitively proven that the PS1 was, in fact, a haven for RPGs.

Muahahahahahahahahahahaha...! *evil Bender-esque laugh*

Boy, you have just opened up a can of worms. SNES RPG lovers, unite!

Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Secret of Mana
Secret of Mana 2 (SD3)
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 1
Lufia 2
Earthbound
Ogre Battle
Super Mario RPG
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Fire Emblem 1/3
Fire Emblem 4
Fire Emblem 5
Breath of Fire 1
Breath of Fire 2
Dragon Quest 1
Dragon Quest 2
Dragon Quest 3
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia

Pretty much all of those are classics, I win.

Posted by Klarth

The Seventh Saga
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Brain Lord
EVO: Search For Eden
Paladin's Quest
Front Mission
Treasure Hunter G
Secret of Evermore

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Klarth:
EVO: Search For Eden

***, EVO was so much fun on my emulator... I hated how the Bee could like 1-2 shot kill, but I ended up beating her anyway... Man, Memories...

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Speedfreak: Pretty much all of those are classics, I win.

[COLOR="Yellow"]And the ones El Cascade listed aren't? Bull****.[/COLOR]

I'd say that Star Ocean and Final Fantasy Tactics are about the only real classics in his list that aren't available for other platforms.

Quoted post: And the ones El Cascade listed aren't? Bull****.

Based on popularlity alone, the SNES would win in this case.

Posted by El Cascade

Yeah, and a lot of the games you listed have been remade for the PS1, including the "classics" known as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. Even Tales of Phantasia (which is easily better than both Chrono Trigger and FFVI) was remade for the PS1. And as for the Zelda series. Well, fuck Zelda. Never liked it.

Also...while Final Fantasy Tactics and Star Ocean 2 were damn good games...I find it laughable that someone could seriously think they were the most notable RPGs to grace the PS1. Personally, I would say that the best series' that came out of the PS1 would be Suikoden, Wild ARMs, and Xenogears...which, as ya'll oughta know, became Xenosaga, which is hit-or-miss, I'll admit...but at least it delivers a damn interesting story.

*shrugs* Well...whatever. Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference. And my personal preference prefers the PS1...overall...however, recent titles, such as Wild ARMs 4, Tales of Legendia, and Suikoden V (EFFING AWESOME) are finally making the PS2 a worthy RPG haven as well. Muahahahahahaha...

I find it laughable that someone could insult the Zelda series like you did. Regardless, you still did it. As you so eloquently put it, fuck your favorite ps1 RPGs. I didn't like any of them.

Posted by Klarth

Out of the SNES games listed, these are the only ones that were remade for PS.

Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Phantasia (Japan only)

[quote=El Cascade]Xenogears...which, as ya'll oughta know, became Xenosaga
I'm sorry, but are you retarded? Xenogears was Square, Xenosaga was Namco. Their stories might as well be completely and utterly independent - There are stylistic and terminological connections and nothing more. Also, whilst Xenogears is the finest game ever made, Xenosaga is pretty crap.

[quote]*shrugs* Well...whatever. Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference. And my personal preference prefers the PS1...overall...however, recent titles, such as Wild ARMs 4, Tales of Legendia, and Suikoden V (EFFING AWESOME) are finally making the PS2 a worthy RPG haven as well. Muahahahahahaha...
We're not talking about PS2 here, we're drawing comparisons between SNES and PSone. I could easily draw parallels between the Xbox and the C64 and denounce the latter as being a crappy platform for first-person shooters.

Oh, and let's not forget another three SNES RPGs I forgot about!

Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Shin Megami Tensei If...

Don't get me wrong; the PSone had some GREAT RPGs - Namely, Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile. However, apart from Ogre Battle, the first Breath of Fire and Dragon Quest/Warrior (simply because I haven't played the latter), I enjoyed every single SNES game listed.

Final Fantasy? Lunar? Grandia? Suikoden? Fuck them, as you so aptly put it.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Klarth:
Don't get me wrong; the PSone had some GREAT RPGs - Namely, Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile. However, apart from Ogre Battle, the first Breath of Fire and Dragon Quest/Warrior (simply because I haven't played the latter), I enjoyed every single SNES game listed.

FF on the Playstation was pretty fun, I'll admit, I liked VIII alot more then VII, heck, I played through the first disc of seven and never touched again. Put calling Lunar crap, well, have you ever played it? It's is really fun if you could get into it. Grandia sucked, and Suikoden is still pretty awesome.

Now, I really didn't like Valkyrie Profile. I played the iso, and gave the game about 10 hours. It really just wasn't that fun. I kinda liked the story, but i really didn't like the battle system. Overall, the game just seemed really bland. I don't know, maybe the new one will be better.

Never played Xenogears, downloaded the ISO but it wouldn't work right after the first gears attack.

Also, please tell me your kidding by calling Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest a classic. Also, the original 7th Saga was broken as hell.

Quoted post: And as for the Zelda series. Well, **** Zelda. Never liked it.

If we're going by subjectivity hear, then I'll just nominate the Xbox as best console ever for having Ninja Gaiden.

Posted by El Cascade

Quoting Klarth]Out of the SNES games listed, these are the only ones that were remade for PS.

Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Phantasia (Japan only)

Yeah. Which is why I didn't say "ALL THE GAMEZ U SIAD WHERE REEMAD LOL". =/ I only said "some", genius.

[quote=Klarth]I'm sorry, but are you retarded? Xenogears was Square, Xenosaga was Namco. Their stories might as well be completely and utterly independent - There are stylistic and terminological connections and nothing more. Also, whilst Xenogears is the finest game ever made, Xenosaga is pretty crap.

I'm sorry, but did I insult you for no damn reason? Of fucking course I know that Xenogears was Square and Xenosaga was Namco. I merely didn't feel it was necessary to explicitly state that fact, since I figured that most of ya would already know that. Xenogears happens to be my favorite game. Ever. And while the connections between Gears and Saga are loose at best, the mere fact that there are connections, if only technical ones, makes it more than good enough for me.

Basically, all you're doin' is reaching as far as you possibly can in order to find a seemingly legitimate reason to call me a fool. Nice try, but that ain't gonna fly. 'Least not with me. I didn't go outta my way to insult you or anything, though I reckon something I said upset you pretty bad. Sorry for that, chief.

[quote=Klarth]We're not talking about PS2 here, we're drawing comparisons between SNES and PSone. I could easily draw parallels between the Xbox and the C64 and denounce the latter as being a crappy platform for first-person shooters.

That was more of a tangent, which is what this ENTIRE conversation is at this point. This thread is, supposedly, intended for a discussion about the PS3, not drawing comparisons between the PS1 and SNES. So...that point ya made? Moot. Ha.

[quote=Klarth]Oh, and let's not forget another three SNES RPGs I forgot about!

Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Shin Megami Tensei If...

Yeah. Pretty sure the PS1 had a buncha those too. And the PS2. Personally, don't really like that series much. Won't say anything more than that.

[quote=Klarth]Don't get me wrong: c[/color]k them, as you so aptly put it.

Like I said, Claus...personal preference. That's all it boils down to. And ya really don't needa to insult people while trying to prove your point of view. In fact, logically, it makes little sense, since ad hominem is a fallacy and all. Which basically makes you the loser by default. Of course, in an argument such as this, one can hardly expect any actual winners, since it's all just perspective and personal opinion. I'm not gonna change my mind, and you're not gonna change yours, no matter what is said. That's just how it is.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=El Cascade]Yeah. Which is why I didn't say "ALL THE GAMEZ U SIAD WHERE REEMAD LOL". =/ I only said "some", genius.
That would probably account for why I only listed SOME of the games. :)

[quote]I'm sorry, but did I insult you for no **** reason? Of ****ing course I know that Xenogears was Square and Xenosaga was Namco. I merely didn't feel it was necessary to explicitly state that fact, since I figured that most of ya would already know that. Xenogears happens to be my favorite game. Ever. And while the connections between Gears and Saga are loose at best, the mere fact that there are connections, if only technical ones, makes it more than good enough for me.
So now you're saying that the connections are loose despite having previously stating that Xenogears "became" Xenosaga? Eh, whatever, at least you have good taste.

[quote]Basically, all you're doin' is reaching as far as you possibly can in order to find a seemingly legitimate reason to call me a fool.
From now on I'm going to start tagging all my posts with "TAKE EVERYTHING I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SALT", because making a jovial inquiry as to someone's mental capacity seems to suddenly turning me into Hitler. I'm noticing a relative abundance in new members giving me ten-paragraph retorts these days. :(

[quote]That was more of a tangent, which is what this ENTIRE conversation is at this point. This thread is, supposedly, intended for a discussion about the PS3, not drawing comparisons between the PS1 and SNES. So...that point ya made? Moot. Ha.
If my point was moot, then so is the entire argument about the RPGs - including your posts - considering the colossal tangent this whole thread has taken.

[quote]Yeah. Pretty sure the PS1 had a buncha those too. And the PS2. Personally, don't really like that series much. Won't say anything more than that.
They weren't great, except for If..., and I had to play that alongside a walkthrough and translated script because a patch doesn't exist for the game. Apparently Digital Devil Saga is good, though.

[quote]Like I said, Claus...
Heh, call me that again and I'll break your legs. I hatehateHATE the GBA port of ToP.

[quote]personal preference. That's all it boils down to. And ya really don't needa to insult people while trying to prove your point of view. In fact, logically, it makes little sense, since ad hominem is a fallacy and all. Which basically makes you the loser by default. Of course, in an argument such as this, one can hardly expect any actual winners, since it's all just perspective and personal opinion. I'm not gonna change my mind, and you're not gonna change yours, no matter what is said. That's just how it is.
That's a good outlook, and I'm impressed by the way you put it. As for insulting people, it's what I do. Don't take everything I say so seriously.

snes had better rpgs though

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=El Cascade]Yeah, and a lot of the games you listed have been remade for the PS1, including the "classics" known as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. Even Tales of Phantasia (which is easily better than both Chrono Trigger and FFVI) was remade for the PS1. And as for the Zelda series. Well, fuck Zelda. Never liked it.

Also...while Final Fantasy Tactics and Star Ocean 2 were damn good games...I find it laughable that someone could seriously think they were the most notable RPGs to grace the PS1. Personally, I would say that the best series' that came out of the PS1 would be Suikoden, Wild ARMs, and Xenogears...which, as ya'll oughta know, became Xenosaga, which is hit-or-miss, I'll admit...but at least it delivers a damn interesting story.

*shrugs* Well...whatever. Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference. And my personal preference prefers the PS1...overall...however, recent titles, such as Wild ARMs 4, Tales of Legendia, and Suikoden V (EFFING AWESOME) are finally making the PS2 a worthy RPG haven as well. Muahahahahahaha...

I knew you'd try to suggest "remakes" (ports with loading times) of SNES games counted as PS1 RPGs. Sir, they wouldn't be there to be played on PS1 if they weren't SNES games in the first place.

A golden age is defined as a period of great achievment, SNES era RPGs were the first RPGs to really push the envelope and do tons of new things. PS1 RPGs simply expanded on what's already been done, and current generation RPGs further still. Heck, even Dragon Quest VIII plays like a SNES RPG, only in 3D. The next golden era of RPGs will be when RPG designers decide to really innovate with their genre again, and it wouldn't at all surprise me if Wii started the next golden age.

I've never thought of PS2 as a decent RPG console, it seems to me that all the "decent" PS2 RPGs are in a relatively small amount of series. Not liking Final Fantasy's style pretty much rules out most of them, and I think the same largely applies to PS1. SNES had a much greater variety or RPGs, ranging from RPG-lite games like Zelda to a middle-ground with Terranigma and Chrono Trigger, all the way up to hardcore titles like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

GBA would be my 2nd favourite RPG system, because GBA RPGs are similar in feel to SNES RPGs, and it's my belief that RPGs just work better on handhelds anyway (or at least should be designed as if they're to be played on handhelds).

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I would say the golden age of RPGs started with the SNES, then continued on to the PS1 and later to the PS2 and Game Boy systems(obviously). Just because the RPG genre as whole jumped from being developed for Nintendo systems to now mostly being developed for Sony systems doesn't mean the golden era of RPGs suddenly had to stop. It's still going on right now, just not on the system you'd like it to. After all, it's still the same companies making these games.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Look at the definition of golden age, it's a time of great achievement. Rehashing what was done a decade ago isn't an achievement, in my opinion. The golden age ended when RPG developers stopped innoavting. Heck, from the looks of things it started to fizzle out before the SNES was even dead with only a few totally original games like Chrono Trigger and Terranigma in the last couple of years shaking things up. The title "Final Fantasy Six" just says it all.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Speedfreak]The title Final Fantasy Thirteen just says it all.
Much more accurate. And apart from the introduction of crappy sci-fi elements, Square hasn't changed the series at all.

Posted by Speedfreak

Pokémon's bound to come up at some point or another, so I'll just point out that Pokémon innovates in gameplay with every single installation. Unlike other RPGs, Pokémon has no storyline to speak of, and the characters (the Pokémon) aren't changed, merely added to. The only thing left to innovate in is the gameplay.

Posted by Klarth

Indeed. The one installment of the series I was unimpressed with was Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald - the added pokemon were uninteresting, the two-on-two battles felt gimmicky... Fortunately, FR/LG redeemed my interest.

Posted by Cruxis

FR/LG where really just rehashed remakes of the originals's. That's why they where so great. Why does Final Fantasy or Resident evil get a remake, but poke'mon only deserves a innovation and a new title slapped on. They knew that the originals's where SO solid that all they really had to do was, update the graphics, insert a few new innovations and elements into the story, world and combat and hundreds of thousands of Poke maniacs would be pleased. I know I was, and I really haven’t played a pokemon game since I played silver and gold back to back and ended up disappointed. I swear to goodness If they add any more pokemon to the already growing list, The pokemon vet's (like my self) are most likely going to just give up on the series. It's really just too much, who cares if a pikachu can have sex with another pikachu and have a Pika baby or whatnot. All a poke mon game needs is a 152 pokemon, a solid battle system, loads of gym leaders and a very functional multi-player system. I think that's all that really matter's anyway.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Chris Day]FR/LG where really just rehashed remakes of the originals's. That's why they where so great. Why does Final Fantasy or Resident evil get a remake, but poke'mon only deserves a innovation and a new title slapped on. They knew that the originals's where SO solid that all they really had to do was, update the graphics, insert a few new innovations and elements into the story, world and combat and hundreds of thousands of Poke maniacs would be pleased. I know I was, and I really haven

Posted by Klarth

I jumped on the bandwagon when it was popular: Right at the beginning. I only got off after RSE, and I've still not finished either FR or LG.

I still haven't got off yet :cookie:

Mainly because they're a pretty decent RPG on the GBA. Even if it is "ew pokemon," I can't deny that they're usually really solid games.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Klarth]I jumped on the bandwagon when it was popular: Right at the beginning. I only got off after RSE, and I've still not finished either FR or LG.

n00b, I liked it BEFORE it was popular.

Posted by Cruxis

[quote=Speedfreak]n00b, I liked it BEFORE it was popular.

Funny you call me and klarth a n00b, when the fact is. Pokemon came out as a Trading Card Game in japan a few years prior to the GBA titles. I even seem to recall watching Cartoon Network and seeing a ridiculously lame commercial in which two adults sat at a table battling with there cards while a 3D Charizard and Venusaur sat quietly behind there respective player's chair. I remember this well, because it was that very same commercial that caused me to go out and purchase the very first starter Deck. Two weeks later The commercials stopped and no one ever remembered what the hell my cards where. So naturally I put them in my closet and two years later the pokemon anime suddenly hit America and pokemania took over. Unfortunately n00bs like me, where around to sell you our expesive and rare decks when Toy R' us ran out of stock of the second editions.

N00b. I like the new pokemon as much as anyone else, but If you know anything, it is the fact that the first 152 poke'mon started the whole **** U.S. craze. If it wasn't for them, you would be playing Yugioh on that DS of your's now.

Take a joke.

Posted by Echo

Quoting Cruxis: Funny you call me and klarth a n00b, when the fact is. Pokemon came out as a Trading Card Game in japan a few years prior to the GBA titles. I even seem to recall watching Cartoon Network and seeing a ridiculously lame commercial in which two adults sat at a table battling with there cards while a 3D Charizard and Venusaur sat quietly behind there respective player's chair. I remember this well, because it was that very same commercial that caused me to go out and purchase the very first starter Deck. Two weeks later The commercials stopped and no one ever remembered what the hell my cards where. So naturally I put them in my closet and two years later the pokemon anime suddenly hit America and pokemania took over. Unfortunately n00bs like me, where around to sell you our expesive and rare decks when Toy R' us ran out of stock of the second editions.

N00b. I like the new pokemon as much as anyone else, but If you know anything, it is the fact that the first 152 poke'mon started the whole **** U.S. craze. If it wasn't for them, you would be playing Yugioh on that DS of your's now.

A. Listen to Vamp.

B. WTF are you talking about? I don't think you're saying that the card game came before the GB game, because that's silly. In America, the GB game was released in '98 ('95 in Japan), and thme TCG was released in '99. Pokemon has been popular since '98, when it was released.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon . Source ftw.)

And shush, n00b. I bought the card game when the only place to find it was at real comic shops and I was the only one I knew with cards. I also bought the Blue version of the game at release. So it's not possible for you to have had it before me, AND I know the advantages of breeding and why more pokemon were needed.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Cruxis: Funny you call me and klarth a n00b, when the fact is. Pokemon came out as a Trading Card Game in japan a few years prior to the GBA titles. I even seem to recall watching Cartoon Network and seeing a ridiculously lame commercial in which two adults sat at a table battling with there cards while a 3D Charizard and Venusaur sat quietly behind there respective player's chair. I remember this well, because it was that very same commercial that caused me to go out and purchase the very first starter Deck. Two weeks later The commercials stopped and no one ever remembered what the hell my cards where. So naturally I put them in my closet and two years later the pokemon anime suddenly hit America and pokemania took over. Unfortunately n00bs like me, where around to sell you our expesive and rare decks when Toy R' us ran out of stock of the second editions.

If you think the Pok

Posted by Cruxis

Weow! I didn’t mean that seriously, I knew you where just saying that lightheartedly. I even understand where you are coming from (I played DX and Colosseum), I definitely noticed how much of a positive difference it made when they added the extra content (pokemon and stuff). It gave the game more strategy, you just have to realize that some of the people like me who played the game and collected the cards back in middle school back when it first came out. When we start Looking back at the original Pokemon games it kind of brings back fond memories of the old days and the friendships, expecially we had when we poke battled, traded and bragged about our cards to each other. After high school, my friends where became ether stupidly-drunk jocks, drug addicts or moved off, so I don’t see them anymore, I only have the memories. And yeah I meant GB not GBA that was a mistake. I will also try to lay off the italicizingstuff too, some other people mentioned that earlier today anyways.
And as for the card game, being older than the Red & Blue verison, I’m not really sure if that is correct or not. I’m not saying that I can remember when the games came out or not. But, my Red version instructional booklet says; 1998 Nintendo of America Inc & The box to that card game( Which I remember buying in fall 1996) say 1996....So I would think that you may be mistaken about that. The thing is they tried to market pokemon in America right after it became a hit in japan, but it never really stuck. A year or two later though it did, and that is why the japanese was always a year or two a head of our pokemon trend, they even had the extra (S/G) pokemon a year or two before us.

I'm not saying I am right or anything, but it would seem that the game did com out a little later. Corect me if I'm wrong though.

Posted by Echo

[QUOTE=Cruxis]
And as for the card game, being older than the Red & Blue verison, I

Posted by El Cascade

I dunno why you guys are bickering about effing pokemon. Pokemon blows.

Posted by Cruxis

:devil:O.K.... I'll get the Qilava, Speed freak find your Entie and you get the Charazard. Now let's roast his Futurama lovin ***.:fire:

:-D

Posted by Klarth

Quoting El Cascade: I dunno why you guys are bickering about effing pokemon. Pokemon blows.

Different people have different tastes, as we've proven to you in the past :)

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Cruxis]152 poke'mon
[quote=Speedfreak]The original 152

I could have sworn there was 151... :)

Posted by El Cascade

Who proved what to whom? As I recall, I'm the one that said that it all boils down to "personal preference". Anyways, there are a whole lot more better RPG's out there than freaking Pokemon, which may have been somewhat novel at first...but seriously, it's long past the point of novelty. Now it's just been done to death. Even I've seen some of the "new" monsters that they've created to keep things going. They're utterly ridiculous. How many do they number now? 150 (or however many there initially were) was plenty. Yeesh.

Anyways, that's my view. I'm sure that there are thousands of twelve year old boys out there that would disagree, but to them I say...isn't it past your bedtime? Muuuaaaahahahahaha...

Posted by Klarth

Difference between Pokémon and other RPGs is that it's gameplay-driven rather than story driven, and there's a LOT more thought required in playing it. It's not a simple case of defeating x enemy to reach x point and view the special secret ending in the process of doing so. It's got FAR more replay value than Squaresoft's entire library combined (well, perhaps with the exception of FFXI).

Also, Tajiri created all the Pokémon at the same time - There are still several hundred which are yet to be used. The ones judged as potentially the most popular were the ones included in Red/Blue.

Quoted post: I could have sworn there was 151...

Missinggo

Posted by Klarth

Missingno

Eh, whatever. It's been a loooong time since I've played the original games. The fact that I remembered it is more than enough... for me anyways :)

Posted by Bebop

I thought Missingno didnt count because it was a glitch, and certianly didn't appear on any offical lists.

Quoted post: I thought Missingno didnt count because it was a glitch, and certianly didn't appear on any offical lists.

It doesn't, as far as I know. But it's still there and you can still catch it. It also gets added to your pokedex, making it 152 pokemon.

Posted by Klarth

It doesn't get added to your Pokedex.

Posted by bigmonkey930

yea i read that in egm they're doin a thing now on like crazy sony quotes **** of the month or sumin like that...i hate sony more than ever im tellin evryone dont buy it the sony is not for the people its for those celebs that wanna buy it to cover it in diamonds