Would Xbox be alive if Halo wasen't there?

Posted by Arcadios

I think that if Halo wasen't only for Xbox then we would be seeing Xbox in the 70% off bin in our local Gamestop.....but there are some note worthy games like Star Wars: Knights of the old republic, Unreal Tournament, Fable, Project gotham racing........any others?

Posted by Zeta

There's always Dead or Alive. >_>

Posted by Dog

i took one look at the thread title, and said no.

Posted by Hero'sCrest

So you are asking that if Halo wasn't around if Xbox would be popular? Yes it would, there are multiple titles that were not release for ps2.

Posted by Dope Dealer

I personally think that Xbox is a great system since they have alot of new titles.

Posted by Echo

No.

Now listen, I agree that there are many, many very good titles for the X-Box. I don't personally own an X-Box, but I know people who do, and I have plenty of fun playing them. However, all of these games came out well after the launch of the X-Box. Most consoles have at least one killer title (or at the very least a promised one) when released. For the X-Box, if there was no Halo, the next-best exclusive was Project Gotham Racing. A good title, but not a console-seller. So, without Halo, the X-Box probably would not have sold near what it did, and so there would probably be less developers making games for it. I mean, who wants to make a game for a console no one has?

So, without Halo, far less X-Boxes would be sold, which means far less games would be X-Box exclusive, which means we'd be playing KotOR, UC, Fable, etc. on our PS2s and GCNs.

Posted by Klarth

There is no single title on either other console that ships systems on its own as much as Halo. As for the big titles that DO sell consoles, most of them are already on Xbox.

The answer is yes.

Posted by Arcadios

I made up my mined on getting a 360; reason are:
1-Halo 3
2-99 nights is being made by Square-Enix and it looks awsome with the trailers I've seen.

Halo is the main reason I bought my first Xbox.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yes.

It's Microsoft we're talking about. If they didn't have Halo, they would find some other way to shove their product down our throats until we bought it. It might not have been as successful without Halo, but it would have been alive. If only because of MS's determination.

Posted by Random

It's really hard to say. For a long while Halo: Combat Evolved was the only "Great" title. There were good and likeable titles but nothing that really Wowed anyone over. Now I can name more "great" titles I like for the XBox then any other system. But for a while Halo was really the only game that was "Great" in many peoples standards. It really took off and sold Microsoft Xbox's which got them more attention. Had it not been for Halo then perhaps the Xbox would have flopped. Who knows? Now there are more titles and more developers making games for the XBox/XBox 360 so it really doesn't matter now. So...................

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Halo is available on the PC >_>

Posted by Random

Quoting PWND_U_IN_MK: Halo is available on the PC >_>

Though this is true, it wasn't out for PC for about 2 years after it was out for the Xbox. Thus the only way to play Halo was to play through the Xbox.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Though this is true, it wasn't out for PC for about 2 years after it was out for the Xbox. Thus the only way to play Halo was to play through the Xbox.

True, but when got my xbox, I already had it for my PC, so it wasn't a decideing factor for me.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Yeah, I would have lived.

Many great games, and Ninja Gaiden came out before too long. That game is worth an X-Box in itself.

Quoted post: Many great games, and Ninja Gaiden came out before too long. That game is worth an X-Box in itself.

True enough. It's one of my favourite games. But, it has no where near the selling power of Halo.

Posted by Echo

Quoting SapphireRose:
Many great games, and Ninja Gaiden came out before too long. That game is worth an X-Box in itself.

But the question is that would those great games, including Ninja Gaiden, been X-Box exclusives if Halo wasn't around. The question isn't "If you take Halo away now, is an X-Box still worth it", because that's easy. There are plenty of games to warrent owning an X-Box now. But at the beginning, Halo was really the only push to make the investment in the 'Box. And if fewer X-Boxes were sold, fewer games would be exclusive. Granted, the chance of the X-Box being a complete flop are very slim because after all, it is Microsoft, but it wouldn't be nearly as succesful. Far less would have been sold, so far less games would be made for it (or at least exclusive for it).

Quoted post: But the question is that would those great games, including Ninja Gaiden, been X-Box exclusives if Halo wasn't around.

In terms of Ninja Gaiden, most likely. Team Ninja are known to be graphic-whores, and Xbox delivered the best.

Posted by Forbidden Toast

This is like when people used to say the only reason to buy a PS2 is to play Grand Theft Auto.

Halo is an awesome game, but there are other great games for Xbox as well, just like how there are games for PS2 other than Grand Theft Auto and Kingdom Hearts.

I know for a fact I usually don't buy a system until there are at least 5 games for it I really like, otherwise it's a waste of my money and I could just go over to a friends house and take over THEIR game console. xD

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Vampiro: Yes.

It's Microsoft we're talking about. If they didn't have Halo, they would find some other way to shove their product down our throats until we bought it. It might not have been as successful without Halo, but it would have been alive. If only because of MS's determination.

Truth.

Halo and Halo 2 were what got me to get an Xbox last July, but I've played plenty of other games that I would've bought one for if I'd had the chance before then.

Posted by Exalbaru

:rolleyes: Everyone I know bought the Xbox for 'Halo: Combat Evolved.' It is a game me and my friends still have tournaments of as well as its sequil: Halo 2. The only reason I thought of getting an Xbox is for the awsome stories of Halo. Now the only reasons I want a PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360 are for certain games out or promised--I know my collection will well up past those games just like for Xbox and GBA.

Posted by dr don

halo was the reason i bought and xbox but played kotr and progect gotham more than did halo

Posted by Arcadios

I actually bought Halo before I bought the actual Xbox system so I knew I was going to buy it cause I always wanted to play Halo.

Quoted post: Everyone I know bought the Xbox for 'Halo: Combat Evolved.'

I bought it for Ninja Gaiden, originally. I didn't give a **** about Halo. I still pretty much hold the same attitude.

Posted by Celestial Flame

About Halo will it end on 3 or will there be more?
And if it does end on 3 then what will Microsoft do to attrct consumers since Dead or Alice reviews have gotten worse and I've never played Ninja Gaidian so what else is there?

Posted by s0ul

I don't know, if you hadn't played it, there's no chance in hell it could sell consoles!!

Quoted post: About Halo will it end on 3 or will there be more?
And if it does end on 3 then what will Microsoft do to attrct consumers since Dead or Alice reviews have gotten worse and I've never played Ninja Gaidian so what else is there?

It's the end of the Halo series, yes. But since when has that ever stopped businesses from cashing in on a dead brand?

oh, and maybe you should buy Ninja Gaiden? Problem solved.

Posted by SmileInYourSleep

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Without Halo Xbox probally wouldn't of had as good sales. As you said, Halo was its big release title, of course it had good titles later on. But Halo was the reason some people bought Xbox. So yes, because people bought it because it was something new, plus there were good titles released later on. But without Halo, the sales would of greatly decreased. Of course, this is just my opinion.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Exalbaru]Everyone I know bought the Xbox for 'Halo: Combat Evolved.'
I bought mine for XBMC and PCSXB. Not that you'd know what either of those are, but what the hell. I don't give a sod about Halo.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting -Inuyasha-: About Halo will it end on 3 or will there be more?

Bungie claims it to be the "end of this story arc."

I'm sure there'll be more books to come out after Halo 3, and also the movie, but it's safe to say it's the last game.

Posted by Arcadios

Will the movie live up to the hype?......if there is any hype.

Posted by Celestial Flame

Quoting IGN: The Master Chief might be gearing up to make his first appearance on the Xbox 360, but it seems his big screen debut has been delayed, until 2008 at least.

Team Xbox is reporting that IMDb has officially updated the movie’s entry from a 2007 release to 2008.

The news isn’t a shocker considering a director hasn’t been named. Peter Jackson remaining in the mix is a good sign for the movie’s eventual quality, so the news isn’t all that bad. Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as executive producers.

On the upside, the delay might result in a decent picture based on Alex Garland’s script instead of a rush job that would cheapen the franchise. Halo has a great back storyline, so it would be nice to see this one well done. So far, I’ve been pretty disappointed with video game based movies, like Doom.

Halo 3 for the Xbox 360 is moving along in development and with any luck fans might get to play this title before the movie comes to the theaters.

Well looks like it's delayed but I haven't heard much of it.

Posted by Saruin

The xbox, no it would not survive without "Halo". The 360 on the other hand would, it has "Gears of War". Then again I really don't give a **** about what other people would do. I bought my Xbox for Ninja Giadian, BLACK, Elder scrolls III. I bought My 360 for Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, so that it may be able to run my copy of Doom III faster, so Who really gives a ****. Microsoft built a system that will surivive, even if Halo isn't around to take the credit.

....Not that I don't like halo...yah!..halo....

Posted by higbvuyb

The XBox would definitely be alive if Halo wasn't there. Given that Bill Gates is a better businessman than you, he would have somehow found a different game that would be very popular to make into an Xbox exclusive.

Posted by Ayu

I doubt that X-Box would be a huge hit without Halo . Most of the people I know only got an X-Box, so that they could play Halo. If the Halo series ends the creators will need a good idea to keep the X-Box going.
----------
[Quote=Vampiro]It is ending. Right after Halo 3. Doubt it'll be too big of a problem.
I don't think it will either since there are some other great games, but some people may loose interest.

It is ending. Right after Halo 3. Doubt it'll be too big of a problem.

Posted by Arcadios

Most of the titles for the 360 don't catch my eye.
That's the reason I'm waiting till Halo 3 or a new kotor is released.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

It's ending after 3, but there's still the novels, the graphic novels, things like that female Spartan in DOA, et cetera. I can see spin-off games being developed in an episodic kind of way, but from the viewpoint of the Covenant in the first game, or something. There's always more Bungie can do to milk their most popular franchise.

I don't know about the Xbox console, but I know that Live probably wouldn't have succeeded without the success of Halo - Halo 2 is still the msot palyed, even on 360 - and Live is such an integral part of 360 now I find it hard to say that Halo had no impact on the console's existence. Without Halo, Xbox 360 wouldn't be what it is, that's for sure, but I don't know whether I can say it wouldn't exist at all.

Posted by Axis

I wouldn't be suprised if Gears of War took Halo's place, honestly. Besides, there's too many good games coming out so losing Halo wont hurt the Xbox franchise much.

Posted by Moogs

I didn't buy my Xbox for Halo. Heck, I never even heard of Halo til a month after I got my Xbox my friend was saying " You have an xbox and you don't know what Halo is" So I bought Halo for 40 bucks and loved. However, on my beliefs Xbox would still be alive. i mean, Ninja Gaiden HELLO! people