Blu Ray:Smart Move?

Posted by Bebop

Is having a blu ray disc drive in the PS3 a good thing?

Not sure.
One of the reasons PS2 took off so quickly and became such a popular platform is because it offered a cheap DVD player for people trying to get one. If Ble Ray will take of like DVD, and is indeed the way forward then it is more than likely the people who bought a PS2 just for the DVD player will do the same with the PS3.

However Blue Ray is dependant on HD Tv right? And from the looks of things it hasnt taken off to well.

Discuss!

Posted by Hyper

I saw a commercial for something that was to be available on blu-ray. They're gonna push it obviously.

Posted by TendoAddict

Ive heard commercails saying "Comming soon to Blue Ray".

Honestly I dont think it will catch on well. Its not nearly the jump from VCR to DVD. Sure its better But not needed better. Its not a radical change, just the next step.

Its like buying a bike and then seeing a bike that can go slightly faster. Sure the speed buff's will get it buy the average joe will say "I already have a bike and I dont really need to go faster"

Posted by Crazy K

I don't think it will do well. I really don't think people are going to dish out $800.00 or so for an HD TVs and such. The only movie im aware of being in Blu Ray format is Underworld Evolution.

Posted by Bebop

I kind of doubt Blu Ray will even take off. I mean Sony is leading it right? Almost forgot about Betamax, MiniDisk and UMD.

Posted by InsaneGamer066

Blue Ray format for games will be great. I means bigger and better games. So it is a smart move. I think Sony will once again take the lead once more.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting InsaneGamer066: Blue Ray format for games will be great. I means bigger and better games. So it is a smart move. I think Sony will once again take the lead once more.

AKA, bigger and longer waiting times, with an imperceptible increase in graphics quality? Yeah, that's really going to hand Sony the lead, with a console on par with the Xbox360, but twice as expensive. Sure.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=InsaneGamer066]Blue Ray format for games will be great. I means bigger and better games. So it is a smart move. I think Sony will once again take the lead once more.

Right, because specs are what won the last generation.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=InsaneGamer066]Blue Ray format for games will be great. I means bigger and better games. So it is a smart move. I think Sony will once again take the lead once more.
Judging from some of your posts, you've made yourself out to be a devoted GTA fanboy. I'd like to point out some facts to you.

- The vanilla, on-disc versions of GTA4 on both PS3 and 360 will be utterly identical. I can guarantee now that no extra content will be available on the PS3 version.
- The 360 version will have extra content in the form of downloadable updates. The PS3 version won't.

Blu-ray doesn't mean bigger games for multiplatform titles. Most developers are going to be HUGELY unwilling to take advantage of all the available space - except, of course, for we-value-full-motion-video-over-gameplay-or-anything-else-corp (aka Square-Enix).

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Rockstar backpedalled on the 'downloadable content exclusive to 360' remark very quickly.

As to Blu-Ray, it's much, much too soon to be pushing a new media format so soon after VHS-DVD. If consumers are forced, they'll go with HD-DVD, simply because of the DVD brand. And of course the fact that HD-DVD is about twenty dollars cheaper per disc.

As to a gaming format, again - Wii, DVD, $50 a game. 360, DVD, $60 a game. PS3, Blu-Ray, upwards of $70. It just doesn't work.

Posted by Speedfreak

Blu-Ray is a smart move if you consider Sony's overall plan, it fits in perfectly with it.

But their overall plan is incredibly shortsighted and anti-consumer.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: Blu-Ray is a smart move if you consider Sony's overall plan, it fits in perfectly with it.

But their overall plan is incredibly shortsighted and anti-consumer.

how can you night know the plan?

They are pulling an ol' "What the hell do you guys think WE'RE doing?"

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Poco]how can you night know the plan?

They are pulling an ol' "What the hell do you guys think WE'RE doing?"

Interesting, what does that mean in human?

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: Interesting, what does that mean in human?

The ol' Sony plan! I mean they use it for all products!

The ol' "What the hell do you (gamers) think WE'RE(Sony) doing?"

Posted by Apathetic

I doubt it will do that great, dvd's are still prawning. But then again, who knows how many people by consoles for the soul purpose of playing movies.

Posted by Random

I foresee them pushing Blu Ray but horribly failing when people decide to not switch over from their DVD Format.

I for one will not support Blu-Ray.

Posted by GameMiestro

If they stop offering normal DVD's, I'll buy a blu ray. If they don't, I won't. Heck, if they still made Betamax tapes I'd probably be watching them now... :D. But something tells me the hundreds of current DVD manufacturers won't die out from Sony, so no, I don't think it's a smart move in the current market.

Posted by I feel Yellow?

i think Blu-ray is pointless. If one bit of the disk gets corrupted, the whole thing is lost unlike having many CD's/DVD's, (which i suppose would take up alot of space) i think at the end of the day it depends on the price the games are sold at.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting I feel Yellow?: i think Blu-ray is pointless. If one bit of the disk gets corrupted, the whole thing is lost unlike having many CD's/DVD's, (which i suppose would take up alot of space) i think at the end of the day it depends on the price the games are sold at.

Source? I've not heard this.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I think he means that if you have a 4-disc game and one of the discs gets damaged, you only need to find a copy of that one disc, as opposed to having all of that information on a single disc which would make the entire game unplayable at once if it were damaged.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Speedfreak: Right, because specs are what won the last generation.

Name brand won :-D