Blu Ray Technology

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah I had no idea were to post this, but oh well.

Anyways I been hearing a lot about Blu Ray DVDs, that are like paper thin, Which is less costing to make. I been wondering if the Blu Ray will play regular old DVDs and such. Besides all that, we don't know if it will succeed. I can see it doing well. But I just wish that they sell the Blu Ray players at a more reachable price rather then around $1,000 dollars.

Anyways what are your thoughts on Blu Ray, will it even Succeed, or will it fail horribly?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Crazy K: Yeah I had no idea were to post this, but oh well.

Anyways I been hearing a lot about Blu Ray DVDs, that are like paper thin, Which is less costing to make. I been wondering if the Blu Ray will play regular old DVDs and such. Besides all that, we don't know if it will succeed. I can see it doing well. But I just wish that they sell the Blu Ray players at a more reachable price rather then around $1,000 dollars.

Anyways what are your thoughts on Blu Ray, will it even Succeed, or will it fail horribly?

They are nto paper thin. THey are regualr size, and they scratch easily. They cost a lot more. THey are worse than HD-DVD. Don't get blu-ray.

Posted by Crazy K

I hope that's what happens so it fails, I just don't like the idea of moving up to another form of technology, DVDs are fine as they are.

Anyways I got some information

[Quote=Blu-ray.com]When will I be able to buy Blu-ray products?

If you live in the US, you will most likely have to wait until June 25, 2006 when Samsung will introduce their Blu-ray player (was recently pushed back from May 23, 2006). Pioneer and Sony plan to introduce their respective Blu-ray players in July. While we've heard very little about the launch plans for the European market, we expect it to follow shortly after the US (some products might launch earlier).

[Quote=Blu-Ray.com]What will Blu-ray products cost?

As with any new technology the first generation of products will likely be quite expensive due to low production volumes. However, this shouldn't be a problem for long as there is a wide range of Blu-ray related products (players, recorders, drives, writers, media, etc) planned, which should help drive up production volumes and lower overall production costs. Once mass production of components for Blu-ray products begins the prices are expected to fall quickly.

According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing Blu-ray Disc media will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs (one molding machine instead of two, no birefringence problems) offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and low cost hard-coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As production volumes increase the production costs should fall and eventually be comparable to DVDs.

[Quote=Blu-ray.com]Will Blu-ray replace DVDs?

Yes, that's the expectation. The Blu-ray format has received broad support from the major movie studios as a successor to today's DVD format. Seven of the eight major movie studios have already announced titles for Blu-ray, including Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, Sony, MGM and Lionsgate. The initial line-up is expected to consist of over 100 titles and include recent hits as well as classics such as Batman Begins, Desperado, Fantastic Four, Fifth Element, Hero, Ice Age, Kill Bill, Lethal Weapon, Mission Impossible, Ocean's Twelve, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reservoir Dogs, Robocop, and The Matrix. Many studios have also announced that they will begin releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month.

However, the two formats (Blu-ray and DVD) will most likely co-exist for quite some time until HDTVs become more widespread. For a complete list of the announced movies, please see our Blu-ray Movies section.

I highly doubt it will succeed, especially that it sounds like you need an HD TV to use the **** thing, and I highly doubt people are going to want to give up their 50 or so inch television for a 27 inch HD flat screen TV.

I truly hope it fails, because I just don't feel like dishing in another $100.00 (once it gets to a lower cost) so they can make more money.

[Quote=Blu-Ray.com]Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. In fact, most of the Blu-ray players coming out will support upscaling of DVDs to 1080p/1080i, so your existing DVD collection will look even better than before. While it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with DVDs.

Yeah that may be a selling point, but if it just stops production of DVD's altogether then It would then ruin peoples chances that already own a regular DVD player, if they bring out the Blu Ray player I think it should cost near around the same as a DVD player.

But that's just me.

Posted by Arcadios

Won't Blu-ray discs hold up to 50 GB worth of Memory?

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Mr.Nintendo74]Won't Blu-ray discs hold up to 50 GB worth of Memory?

I believe so. The site I listed also said that you can record on Blu Ray and record over what you recorded.

Posted by Klarth

HD-DVD > Beta-Ray

Posted by powerpuff

can somebody list some pros and cons between HD and Blu-rays and why one is better than the other. I dislike Blu-rays only because i dislike sony but would like some facts on why i should hate it.

Posted by Demonblade

Blue rays are not paper thin, they are the size of a regular CD. Contrary to what many people say, they no long scratch as easily as once anticipated. Granted, the earlier designs we vulnerable to fingerprints and dust, but due to the renovation of the CD lacquer...durability is no longer an issue. I cant remember the name of the company that invented the technology, but from what i understand your average BRD has a life expectancy of 8-10 years, which is about the same as your average CD.

There is no viable reason why you should hate blue ray discs. The standard disc can hold 50gb (dual layer)...while the larger disc will eventually be able to hold up to 100gb of information (quad layer). In case you didnt know, this is achieved by BRD players using a blue laser which can be focused on a much smaller point, thus allowing information to be stored closer. It also has to do with the aperature of the lense, and im pretty sure that this is the difference between BRD and HD-DVD. Its said that 70 percent or so of the world's multimedia market is transitioning to BRD...so you are only hurting yourself in the long run for hating it.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Demonblade]There is no viable reason why you should hate blue ray discs.
The blank discs themselves cost $60 or so, and the movies will be a similar sort of price. Plus, the players are $800 or so right now, whereas HD-DVD players cost maybe $500. Blu-Ray burners are upwards of $1500.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Klarth: The blank discs themselves cost $60 or so, and the movies will be a similar sort of price. Plus, the players are $800 or so right now, whereas HD-DVD players cost maybe $500. Blu-Ray burners are upwards of $1500.

Yeah, thats what happens with any new technology. You cant expect them to be cheap right out of the gate can you? You have to keep in mind the BRD have the capability of storing, right now, 20gb more per disc than HD-DVD's, and 70gb more in the future.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Demonblade]You cant expect them to be cheap right out of the gate can you?
HD-DVD is managing; why can't Sony's format?

Posted by Fate

I've seen HD next to the new Blu-Ray stuff. There's a visible difference. I'm looking forward to the future.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Princess Fate: I've seen HD next to the new Blu-Ray stuff. There's a visible difference. I'm looking forward to the future.

Wait, so which are you leaning towards?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Yeah, thats what happens with any new technology. You cant expect them to be cheap right out of the gate can you?

Flat panels, good example. They just dropped in price by quite a bit. You can get, what, a 36' for 1000 bucks now?

Anywho, blu-ray gets a big "who ****ing cares" from me.

Posted by Demonblade

Quoting Klarth: HD-DVD is managing; why can't Sony's format?

Hmm, i dont know...maybe because of the obvious fact that standard HD-DVD's hold only 60% of the data that a blue ray does...and when you are talking in terms of Gigabytes...thats a hell of a lot of memory. BRD are obviously better technology...so you can expect to pay more. The reason HD-DVD's cost less is because of the obvious fact that...well, they hold less information. BTW, its not just sony who invented the BRD. Its a whole conglomerate of companies...many people just criticize them because its going to be implemented on their next gaming platform. These are all the companies involved in the creation of the BR technology:

Apple Computer
Dell
Hewlett Packard
Hitachi
LG Electronics
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Home Video Inc.

Either way...i agree with you Vamp. How often do we see multiple disc video games these days. Even next gen games seem to fit quite fine on your standard DVD disc.

Posted by Fate

What about games with lots of extra content, like Metal Gear? Kojima's genius had to be cut severely because there wasn't enough space. :(

Posted by Lord of Spam

RARGH ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH SONY IS EVIL WE SHOULD ALL GO OUT AND BURN BLU RAY DEVELOPERS KILL THEM ALL LETS BLOW UP THEIR HEADQUARTERS RANFLARGSNARFLAR

Quoting Princess Fate: What about games with lots of extra content, like Metal Gear? Kojima's rambling trainwreck of delusional insanity had to be cut severely because there wasn't enough space. :(

Yeah, totally sucks.:(

Posted by Fate

So you read about what they cut out? Funny extra songs by the staff on the Codec thing, some extra development footage, some more scenes, and a couple of other things. If I had the option to have MGS:S's three discs all in one convenient disc, I'd so take it.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Lord of Spam]RARGH ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH SONY IS EVIL WE SHOULD ALL GO OUT AND BURN BLU RAY DEVELOPERS KILL THEM ALL LETS BLOW UP THEIR HEADQUARTERS RANFLARGSNARFLAR
[quote=Demonblade]Hmm, i dont know...maybe because of the obvious fact that standard HD-DVD's hold only 60% of the data that a blue ray does...and when you are talking in terms of Gigabytes...thats a hell of a lot of memory.
Actually, this is based on past experience and consumer opinions. Betamax was technically superior to VHS - Higher capacity, higher resolution. However, limited release support and high costs fot the media and the players wound up killing it, and the technically inferior format prevailed.

Posted by nich

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/

There's a really good summary of the two new formats. Personally I don't want a new format yet, I just got all my favourite movies on DVD.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: What about games with lots of extra content, like Metal Gear? Kojima's genius had to be cut severely because there wasn't enough space.

If that extra content means I'm not guaranteed a price at or below $59.99, then **** it.

... actually, if it was MGS, I would pay 100 bucks for it. But ONLY that game... and possibly Ninja Gaiden. But only those games.