Call of Duty 2 or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Posted by Hero'sCrest

The name pretty much says it all, I am wondering which of the two to buy. I would prefer you have played one of the two before you post ^_^. Thank you.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Oblivion. No constest. You get more than your money's worth. not only is it quite a long game (I'm just finishing up after 200 hours), it's also pretty deep and very addicting. I'd definitely recommend Oblivion over any other 360 game at this point.

Though that's not to say CoD2 is bad, it's in fact a really great FPS... it just doesn't compare.

Posted by Last Fog

It depends whether you want a fun fast-paced non stop action game that you can beat in a few days, and then afterward have some fun playing online, or a nearly never ending, deep and involving quest that will devour you and turn you into a hermit who rarely sees the light of day.

Posted by Axis

Oblivion by far. Call of Duty 2 is a rent.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Axis: Call of Duty 2 is a rent.
It depends. I own it and I've had a lot of fun playing it on Live. But if you're just looking for single player then definitely just rent it.

Posted by Hero'sCrest

cool, I was thinking oblivion because of the 16 miles of land area it claimed to have. But just a few questions.

1. Does the game have puzzles. (hard ones I mean)
2. I've seen other post about certain classes and guilds, so does that mean it kinda feels like a online game?
3. Is the combat any good?

Thanks for the helps by the way.

Posted by juliebriggs

i own both games, and ive played COD2 more. either game is a a good choice though

Posted by Dexter

I suggest Oblivion. I enjoy it far more. However, if you have friends and need some multiplayer action, you better go with Call of Duty 2. Single player in Call of Duty 2 won't please like Oblivion will.

Posted by Hero'sCrest

Yes I do have friends :P....Lol.

Posted by Dexter

Oblivion is a wonderful game, but it is only single player. With friends around, I'd say you might be better off getting a multiplayer game, as long as they'll play enough. Call of Duty 2 is a fairly decent multiplayer game. I believe I've played multiplayer with it more than multiplayer with any other 360 game. But even still, I've spent more time with Oblivion. Oblivion's the best the 360 has to offer. It will certainly last a long time. I'm still fulfilling quest.

Posted by Dog

OBLIVVVVVIOOONNN by a inch.

Posted by juliebriggs

buy both. they are both great games worthy of purchase

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting juliebriggs: buy both. they are both great games worthy of purchase
If that was an option he probably wouldnt have asked. He must have a tight budget, since 360 games are pretty **** expensive.

It really comes down to what you're looking for, the two are entirely different games.

Posted by Dexter

Well, Call of Duty 2 comes off to me as a game that will be incredibly out-dated very soon. Isn't Call of Duty 3 almost here? I'd kinda suggest waiting for that.

Posted by Last Fog

You're not gonna find many poeple here who play sports games. Mostly RPG fans who deny the fact that they are the real gays.

I mean really, who gives a **** about plot and character development in a video game. How queer.

Posted by Dexter

What are you talking about, Last Fog? :confused:

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Dexter: What are you talking about, Last Fog? :confused:
I'm talking about how people need to stop being pricks because someone has a different taste in entertainment.

Posted by Hero'sCrest

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Yea, I am on a budget but I still am not sure about which one I want to get...arg. Well I like Oblivion since it has a good story line, nice landscape, and sweet graphics...But, I like Call of Duty because it is a highly detailed FPS. Decisions, decisions...:) [/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Dexter

It seemed really random and off-topic, Last Fog, as if it belonged in that newbie thread where the guy was asking about sports games.

Oblivion is more epic and will be known more in the years to come.

Posted by Hero'sCrest

Good point Fog. Not saying that anyone in this thread is being a prick, but I have talked to people before who can be total aszholes just because I like different games then them. For instance, about ten minutes ago my friend was telling me to save up for the PS3 because he thought Oblivion would suck, I simply said, "**** you." Lol. [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Hero'sCrest

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR][/FONT]That is true, I mean I don't own the game but it sure does look the part. I watched a review or something one of the designers made and he said it has 16 miles of landscape...16 MILES OF LANDSCAPE...16 MOTHER ****ING MILES OF LANDSCAPE!!

Quoted post: cool, I was thinking oblivion because of the 16 miles of land area it claimed to have. But just a few questions.

1. Does the game have puzzles. (hard ones I mean)
2. I've seen other post about certain classes and guilds, so does that mean it kinda feels like a online game?
3. Is the combat any good?

Thanks for the helps by the way.

1) Yeah, there's some puzzles. Nothing brain-busting, but that's not really what the focus is anyways.

2) There's nothing multiplayer about it. There are other classes and races, yeah, but that doesn't make it feel like an online game. it just makes it feel like its own world.

3) The combat is what you're going to be doing a lot of the time... and surprisingly, it's lacking. The majority of your hits don't feel like they land, your moves are limited, and destruction magic looks the same no matter what spell you use (all fire attacks look the same, all frost attacks look the same, et cetera). So that's pretty disappointing. But to tell you the truth, I don't even notice it anymore, and it really doesn't detract from the experience at all.

Quoted post:
Yea, I am on a budget but I still am not sure about which one I want to get...arg. Well I like Oblivion since it has a good story line, nice landscape, and sweet graphics...But, I like Call of Duty because it is a highly detailed FPS. Decisions, decisions...

If you're on a budget, then there's no decision to make. CoD2 is no more than a rental, really. While Oblivion will last you upwards of 100 hours.

Posted by Hero'sCrest

Sweeeetage, thanks for the help peeps. It really helped me out with this stuff.

Posted by Saruin

I like them both. On the other hand, Most 360 owner's own both but candidly talk about oblivion. Still Oblivion is great for rainy day's, call of duty is great for the parties. After all you can't play oblivion with other people, and call of duty 2 get's old fast if you play it alone. I own both so it really doesnt matter

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Oblivion DESTROYS CoD2!

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Emperor Vampiro: CoD2 is no more than a rental, really. While Oblivion will last you upwards of 100 hours.
Not true. The single player may only last a few days, unless you play on veteran mode, but the multiplayer will keep you entertained for awhile. It has some amazing multiplayer maps and your typical game modes, deathmatch, capture the flag, king of the hill type thing, etc. The 360 is lacking great multiplayer so far, and COD is the best going for it.

On the other hand, COD3 comes out soon, along with gears of war, and Brothers in Arms, so I'd say wait for those if you can.

Quoted post: Not true. The single player may only last a few days, unless you play on veteran mode, but the multiplayer will keep you entertained for awhile. It has some amazing multiplayer maps and your typical game modes, deathmatch, capture the flag, king of the hill type thing, etc. The 360 is lacking great multiplayer so far, and COD is the best going for it.

I'm talking about single-player only. I was assuming he didn't have Live.

Posted by GameMiestro

I'm going to go with Oblivion here... Call of Duty 2 was good, yes, but there already have been game's like it, and there will be games that surpass it (like COD 3), but Oblivion is one of a kind.

Quoted post: but Oblivion is one of a kind.

far from it

Posted by Last Fog

[quote]I'm talking about single-player only. I was assuming he didn't have Live.Well he should. That's the best part about Xbox 360!

[quote=GameMiestro]I'm going to go with Oblivion here... Call of Duty 2 was good, yes, but there already have been game's like it, and there will be games that surpass it (like COD 3), but Oblivion is one of a kind.Not really... Maybe so far on 360, but there will be games like it, namely Elder Scrolls V.

Quoted post: Not really... Maybe so far on 360, but there will be games like it, namely Elder Scrolls V.

And there's about three games coming out on the 360 that will play "similar".

Posted by Cruxis

I actually don't have a cory of Oblivion yet, I bought the $35 strategy Guide though. I reall need to get a copy of THAT and Ninja Gaidan, both of those games are so amazing. I do have COD 2, and I can say that it is a really great game, So in terms of actual greatness I would say that it really determines on the gamer. Someone how hate FPS will obviously choice ESIV:O, and people who hate RPG's or ACTION ADVENTURE titles will probably dislike Oblivion. I love them both though. I wonder when they are going to make a 360 sequel to ninja gaidan, I Borrowed it from a friend and just after playing for about two hour's I seriously have to say that it is by far the best xbox game.

Posted by Sebhot

Good news

Posted by Fate

Oblivion has so many things to do, it's well worth the price. You kind of have to have a taste for those types of games, so it all depends on if you would prefer it to Call of Duty. If you're going to get a war game, I'd suggest Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.

If you're going to buy CoD2, wait until November or whenever and get CoD3.

Posted by Axis

Except that Call of Duty 3 won't be nearly as good as Call of Duty 2.

How do you figure? So far it looks equal, if not a bit better.

Posted by Axis

This time around Treyarch is developing it. Everytime they've released footage for past Call of Duty versions it looks like it's always going to be good. Then when it releases they under deliver. I'll wait for some reviews before I make a decision.

Oh yeah, I forgot someone other than Infinity Ward was developing it. Still though, I don't think it will be hard to do what they did, and add more, like CoD3 is currently showing.

Posted by HappyCamper

There two total different games.

But OBLIVION WAS AND STILL IS THE BEST GAME FOR THE 360, till DEAD RISING and GEARS OF WAR and SAINTS ROW, maybe not Saints Row; and maybe Oblivion will be better then Gears of War and Dead Rising. BUT THEN THERE IS WORLD OF WARCRAFT. Oblivion ****ing owns Call of Duty 2!

Posted by SaintNerevar

i would have to say oblivion because even after you complete the main story there are at least a hundred (if not more) quests that you can choose to complete. i have put 209 hours into the game and i am still fiinding new places and quests.

Quoted post: But OBLIVION WAS AND STILL IS THE BEST GAME FOR THE 360, till DEAD RISING and GEARS OF WAR and SAINTS ROW

Stop using the caps lock. And Dead Rising is out.

Posted by HappyCamper

**** you, I posted it a day before it came out! and I won't use caps anymore if it ****es you off that much to waste your time to posted about it.