Let me set things straight...

Posted by specopssv44

Hey, im f-ing tired of people rambling on about the military when they dont know **** about how we operate. Ive heard it all in my time in the Corps, ive been called brainwashed, ive been called a murderer, Ive been called mindless, all that stupid ****. So lets get it all out on the table. If you got questions about what we are taught, or how we are trained, then ask them. If you think were brainwashed then tell me why and let me straighten things out. I am serving my country proudly and I would be happy to help you guys straighten out any misconceptions of the Military and our ethos. I am an Ifantry Marine, my job is to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy. Let me tell you what its really like on my side of the wire.

Posted by Raptor

You must get out in the world a lot and meet quite a few fascinating people, so why do the opinions of a few kids on a message board matter so much to you?

Actually, I'd say the most annoying thing about you is how much you obsess over the fact that you're a marine.

Posted by Speedfreak

I guess I'm just wondering if the removal of your humanity is a requirement or if it's something you volunteer for.

Posted by Dreadnought

Hmm, it would be nice to know how you rationalize away the moral imperative against taking human life.

Posted by higbvuyb

Okay, serious posting, please.

Consider:
He has not killed anyone yet.
He is most likely to kill in self-defence, or in the process of self defence.
If he does not, it is usually to attack an 'enemy' of America, who may have a remote chance of becoming a terrorist and blowing you up at kindergarten, pre-school, or where-ever you go often.
He is risking his life for his country. Admit it, the salary is average, and the training is hard, however, you risk your life in the armed forces.
If someone wants to be patriotic, they may see joining the military as a way to do this.

Though I may not agree with his position, his opinion should be respected, and you should consider it for once from his point of view, rather than jumping on the 'wtf ur a murderer' bandwagon. Just because he swears often and does not bother with grammar and spelling on a forum does not mean he is stupid. Many people in the military are actually very intelligent (However, not all). (To Specopss: Yes, to look more intelligent, you should use proper spelling and grammar, and I don't think you're unintelligent.)

Posted by Dreadnought

I realize and accept everything in that post, but I'd still find it interesting to know what the necessity of war actually is.

Posted by Ant

A world without war is not possible at this point in time. And won't be for a very very long time.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting higbvuyb:
If he does not, it is usually to attack an 'enemy' of America, who may have a remote chance of becoming a terrorist and blowing you up at kindergarten, pre-school, or where-ever you go often.

higbvuyb, I strongly suspect there is a remote chance of you becoming a terrorist. I wish I was in the Marines so I could riddle you with bullets and call it a "kill" instead of a "murder."

The majority of American people seem more frightened of their own shadow, and I see no reason to live in such fear. "Terrorists" are nowhere near as much of a threat to us as we make them out to be. A few stooges with box cutters hijack some planes one day, and we want to go to war with half the Middle East.

Posted by The Judge

Common misconception: We are at war with the Middle East due to September 11th.

Also, it's not a soldier's job to question those who give him orders. A soldier is just that: someone who has resigned their lives to following out the orders given to them by their superiors under the guise of patriotism. If he does anything wrong, it's the fault of those who issued the orders, not him.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: You must get out in the world a lot and meet quite a few fascinating people, so why do the opinions of a few kids on a message board matter so much to you?

Why shouldnt they?

Quoted post: Actually, I'd say the most annoying thing about you is how much you obsess over the fact that you're a marine.

The Marine Corps is my life, its not just a job, its who I am. You cannot possibly understand what the Corps is to me because you are not a Marine. Actually id say the most annoying thing about you is that you really never know what the **** youre talking about.

Quoted post: I guess I'm just wondering if the removal of your humanity is a requirement or if it's something you volunteer for.

Hummanity is not removed, but its kill or be killed. As long as the enemy maintains the will, or the means to kill me, I will attempt to return the favor. However if that enemy is wounded or surrenders then I will render him aid and not do further harm to him. I have no compassion for someone trying to kill me or my brothers.

Quoted post: The majority of American people seem more frightened of their own shadow, and I see no reason to live in such fear. "Terrorists" are nowhere near as much of a threat to us as we make them out to be. A few stooges with box cutters hijack some planes one day, and we want to go to war with half the Middle East.

How little you know about the world around you raptor. Ignorance is bliss child.

Posted by Bebop

Do you think you'll enjoy killing an enemy? And if so, do you personally think it is right or wrong?

You mention about only killing in self-defence and what not. But in a heated combat do you actually think you'll be able to choose morals and being rational over adreniline? Trehe have been lots of mistakes made when people are under pressure, and marines are no exception. How confident/worried are you about being able to follow your 'rules', so to speak, in a situation like this?

Posted by Random

Maybe I just have a sick mind but I think I'd enjoy killing my enemy. I'd be torn if I killed a civilian but if I saw someone who was definately an Enemy I think I'd kill them with a smile on my face.. O_o

I don't believe your brain washed and I support you and our Troops! Whether it's the Marine Corp, Army, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard I support them all.

We got Al Zarqawi :-D

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: Do you think you'll enjoy killing an enemy?

This is hard to explain. Its not that you enjoy it. Its more of a right of passage. Its something that the grunt needs to do to feel complete. Taking human life is sad and it sucks. But you cant think of them as humans. I dont think of them as humans because that is not my job. My job is to locate, close with, and destroy them. As for it being right or being wrong, I think that terrorisim is wrong and I think they are worthless animals and should be treated accordingly. In war, people must be killed.

Quoted post: You mention about only killing in self-defence and what not. But in a heated combat do you actually think you'll be able to choose morals and being rational over adreniline? Trehe have been lots of mistakes made when people are under pressure, and marines are no exception. How confident/worried are you about being able to follow your 'rules', so to speak, in a situation like this?

In combat there will always be collateral damage. Innocents will always be in danger if they are near a combat zone. I have no desire to kill women or children or other innocents. Thats simply not what professional warriors want to do. I am 100% confident that I would not kill an innocent simply out of rage or in the heat of the moment. We are there to win the hearts and minds of the innocents, we are there to help them build a stable country and to create an ally. Why would I wanna kill someone I want on my side?

Posted by Arwon

Oh, the threat of being blown up by a psychopath is real. Sure, it's not as big a threat as, say, falling in the shower and cracking your head open... but Raptor, let's not forget that the threat of terrorism is real.

Terrorist attacks are not difficult, and they're not easy to stop. The thing stopping terrorism in America is not security, nor the "war on terrorism", but rather, the lack of people willing to perpetrate terrorist acts in America. If there were lots of terrorists you'd be seeing, like, 1 attack a day in America. You know, like they have in Baghdad? Or for that matter, Israel which cops several a year even in the quiet times.

Humans are terrible at assessing relative statistical risk.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: Terrorist attacks are not difficult, and they're not easy to stop. The thing stopping terrorism in America is not security, nor the "war on terrorism", but rather, the lack of people willing to perpetrate terrorist acts in America. If there were lots of terrorists you'd be seeing, like, 1 attack a day in America. You know, like they have in Baghdad? Or for that matter, Israel which cops several a year even in the quiet times.

The idea is we tie up the harcore terrorists in Iraq and keep them from coming here. Also keep in mind civilians are horrible at knowing WTF is actually happening in the world around them.

Posted by Arwon

Uh dude, they weren't THERE until you attacked them, and they're certainly not going to come attack America if you leave.

They'll be far too buy fighting for political control in Iraq in their various political/ethnic/religious/tribal groups to bother going to America, and even if they wanted to it's not feasible. Bear in mind, a major part of them are constituted of former military and Ba'athists. You're confusing a resistance fighting insurgency (or rather, insurgencies) with the pan-national death-cult known as Al Qaeda,that attacked you on September 11. They're not the same thing at all.

It's not just civilians. If you think your fighting in Iraq is what's keeping America safe from terrorism, you're just as clueless as any bloody dullard on the street who's massively afraid of teh Arabs and doesn't understand how statistically unlikely it is that he'll be blown up.

Again, it's not all those window dressing security measures or the "war on terrorism" (much less the war in Iraq) keeping people safe. It's the small number of people in the world (outside of a couple of combat zones) who are actually willing to build a bomb and set it off in a crowded place.

Posted by NES Queen

I find the fact that you openly deempathize the value of a human life to be quite frightening. Making it out be almost a game or who can get thier first kill in this "right of passage." Trying to justify it by proclaiming these people are not human.... Yes, they are humans. They are husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, brothers, friends, just like you and the rest of your soldier companions. War isn't about who can run around and "find, close with, and destroy" the most people first.

And again, your defense for the impact on innocent victims is frightening. "We want to have a war here so you better pick up and leave your home or else we can't be held responsible if we accidentally blow you and it up while trying to get the 'bad guys'."

[quote]Thats simply not what professional warriors want to do.
Professional warrior? Why not spend all that time, energy, and money on being professional peace activists and trying to get countries to unify together, rather than constantly running around killing each other. That sounds much more productive and "better", not to mention civilized.

[quote]We are there to win the hearts and minds of the innocents, we are there to help them build a stable country and to create an ally. Why would I wanna kill someone I want on my side?
Then why do you do it? Why are you there killing people in their country if you want them to be your ally? Why are we always trying to take over so the country is run by America's ideals and standards? Why must America try to force everyone else to follow our guidelines, rules, policies, and views? Why do they not want us there in their country if we truely are helping them? Why don't we just mind our own business and deal with our own issues back at home instead of having thousands of soldiers overseas worrying about someone elses?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I love how people are so humane and moral about soldiers killing people that they don't care about, yet will jump on the "who cares?" bandwagon when someone else states that they are sad about so-and-so dying or so-and-so being killed in Iraq or by their relative dying. **** you *******s and your bull**** hypocracies. If you're going to play the ethics card, then at least be ****ing consistent. I swear you dip****s surprise me more and more every day. For once, hig surprised me in a positive way. I'll reply in a more senseful way tomorrow, but at this time I'll just point out that 90% of you bemoaning the loss of human life in warfare can suck my balls for giving people **** about that one girls' suicide, that guy who knew a girl whose father was killed in Iraq, or me mentioning the pope dying. Eat ****.
much love,

Bj

Posted by Dreadnought

specops, sorry I was an asshat about stuff I have no frame of reference for, and I just hope you can get back home with as little missing as possible.
[COLOR=DimGray]
[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray]But war is still something to be avoided, and America has no business being a 'Global Policeman'.[/COLOR]

As for BJ, my only answer is that I think most people suffer from a soft-focus misanthropy; the more defined the person becomes through personal knowledge and experience, the more likely they are to be affected by that person's death. Mortality is something that happens to other people, and thus is irrelevant to most folks.

Posted by Raptor

So, basically, considering that in reality they are just as human as any American, you have to completely delude yourself into believing they are a lower life form in order to justify and live with killing your enemy.

The mere fact that humans possess and exercise the primal competitive instinct necessary to fight for political terrorities and kill thousands of their own in the process shows that they are nothing higher than monkeys with guns, hats, and bibles. The savagery of their ways will ultimately always prevail. Undoubtedly, the entire race will annihilate itself long before it comes anywhere close to true enlightenment, and the Earth will save itself.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting specopssv44: In combat there will always be collateral damage. Innocents will always be in danger if they are near a combat zone. I have no desire to kill women or children or other innocents. Thats simply not what professional warriors want to do. I am 100% confident that I would not kill an innocent simply out of rage or in the heat of the moment. We are there to win the hearts and minds of the innocents, we are there to help them build a stable country and to create an ally. Why would I wanna kill someone I want on my side?

That's not exactly what I meant. I was also referring to when you said you would not shot an injured enemy or whatever. Sometimes it can be hard to know if someone is injured and incapable of fighting back. We both have seen films where even if a guy has his legs blown off he will stil fight back. Realistically what if you had to surround a building and clear it. There could be a solider there with damaged hands and thus incapable of firing his gun. Injurury and an enemy soldiers determination can be a hard thing to judge on split second reactions.

Posted by Dreadnought

[quote=Raptor]
The mere fact that humans possess and exercise the primal competitive instinct necessary to fight for political terrorities and kill thousands of their own in the process shows that they are nothing higher than monkeys with guns, hats, and bibles. The savagery of their ways will ultimately always prevail. Undoubtedly, the entire race will annihilate itself long before it comes anywhere close to true enlightenment, and the Earth will save itself.

If you are going to take that line of thought than you are obligated to admit that all life on Earth is doomed, not just humanity. Two scenarios exist: either we will unleash some horrific and irreparable imbalance on the world, permanently crippling all living creatures, or they will outlive us anyway and perish when the world becomes a smouldering rock less than a light-minute away from the sun. Savage though we are, our progress is the best chance life on this planet has for preservation.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Dreadnought: I realize and accept everything in that post, but I'd still find it interesting to know what the necessity of war actually is.

The war on Afghanistan destroyed up to two thirds of al-Qaeda, lowering their ability to perform terrorist attacks. The Iraq war served to protect the oil supply in the Middle East from Saddam Hussein's control, ensuring the stability of the US economy. If the US economy collapsed due to an oil shortage, many people would suffer/die. However, this may not be an acceptabe tradeoff for the deaths of many tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of civilians.

Quoting Raptor: higbvuyb, I strongly suspect there is a remote chance of you becoming a terrorist. I wish I was in the Marines so I could riddle you with bullets and call it a "kill" instead of a "murder."

The fact that I'm implying that the people concerned are insurgents is obvious, because insurgents are basically the only people targetted by US soldiers in Iraq right now.

Quoting specopssv44: I have no compassion for someone trying to kill me or my brothers.

Consider this: The 'enemy' may be trying to protect their own friends/brothers/family, and in doing so, shoot you or your fellow Marines.

Posted by Dreadnought

[quote=higbvuyb]
Consider this: The 'enemy' may be trying to protect their own friends/brothers/family, and in doing so, shoot you or your fellow Marines.

Consider this:

[quote=Abu Musab al-Zarqawi] By Allah, the only thing they shall receive from us shall be a slashing sword. We will have more battles with them, the horror of which will turn even their children's hair white.

Posted by NES Queen

[QUOTE=higbvuyb]If the US economy collapsed due to an oil shortage, many people would suffer/die. However, this may not be an acceptabe tradeoff for the deaths of many tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of civilians.
US citizens are not going to die simply because they can't drive their hummer to the corner grocery store anymore. :rolleyes:

And if the US is so heavily dependant upon preserving oil in the middle east, to the point where we would need to enter into a war and kill thousands of people (both innocent and "bad"), don't you think it makes more sense to research alternative sources for fuel? If we were able to get the majority of our resources from countries outside of the terrorist-filled Middle East, then who cares what they do over there. Let them destroy the oil, just means they won't be getting any money. We could just sit back and laugh, instead of running over there trying to babysit them.

Posted by Random

Quoting NES Queen: Then why do you do it? Why are you there killing people in their country if you want them to be your ally? Why are we always trying to take over so the country is run by America's ideals and standards? Why must America try to force everyone else to follow our guidelines, rules, policies, and views? Why do they not want us there in their country if we truely are helping them? Why don't we just mind our own business and deal with our own issues back at home instead of having thousands of soldiers overseas worrying about someone elses?

Because they were under a dictators rule. A dictator who killed a couple Million people at least. We're not trying to force them to follow our religion and we're letting them choose their own politics but had we not done something then who knows what would have happend? What if Saddam got a hold of Nuclear Arms? We both know what he would have wanted to do. He would have at least attempted to Nuke Israel if not other Western Powers and probably even other Middle Eastern countries.

Sure lets mind our own business. Lets not worry about other countries. Lets have terrorists come in and F*** us up. Lets watch poor innocent defensless countries like Kuwait get takin over by Iraq while we sit here and do nothing.

Do we have to do anything? No.. but it's the right thing to do. If the UN is going to be retarded then someone has to step up to the plate and do something.

I say we disban the worthless UN.

Also note I don't agree with Vietnam. We were there for the wrong reasons. Iraq however I do agree that we should be there. And I have numerous friends in Iraq/Afganistan who are there right now or came back who agree with both Wars.

Posted by Dreadnought

Those who try do dispense absolute justice set themselves up to deliver the worst injustices.

Posted by The Judge

So you're one of the believers that [COLOR="black"]G[/COLOR]od is the only one who can truly determine who deserves to live and die?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Raptor]higbvuyb, I strongly suspect there is a remote chance of you becoming a terrorist. I wish I was in the Marines so I could riddle you with bullets and call it a "kill" instead of a "murder."

The majority of American people seem more frightened of their own shadow, and I see no reason to live in such fear. "Terrorists" are nowhere near as much of a threat to us as we make them out to be. A few stooges with box cutters hijack some planes one day, and we want to go to war with half the Middle East.

For a carnivorous predator you sure are a fucking pussy.

Posted by Arwon

It's funny how the people who AREN'T afraid of the terrorists get called pussy.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Dreadnought: Consider this:
blah

Consider this:

Quoting Me:
The last time I checked, not all insurgents in Iraq are clones of al-Zarqawi, nor do all of them think the same way.

Quoting NES Queen: US citizens are not going to die simply because they can't drive their hummer to the corner grocery store anymore.

Large parts of the US' industries are directly reliant on oil (e.g. plastics manufacture, power stations). The rest are all indirectly reliant on it (transport, etc). If the price of oil rose significantly, the US economy would be damaged.

Quoted post: And if the US is so heavily dependant upon preserving oil in the middle east, to the point where we would need to enter into a war and kill thousands of people (both innocent and "bad"), don't you think it makes more sense to research alternative sources for fuel? If we were able to get the majority of our resources from countries outside of the terrorist-filled Middle East, then who cares what they do over there. Let them destroy the oil, just means they won't be getting any money. We could just sit back and laugh, instead of running over there trying to babysit them.

Even if one researched alternative energy supplies, it would take many years to convert industry to using these sources of power, and implementing this is nome places may be hard (cars) or impossible (plastics, you can't make plastic out of solar energy, etc.)

Posted by Dreadnought

[COLOR=#e0e0e0][FONT=Arial][quote=HigbvuyibiujdfquvjsnETC.]Even if one researched alternative energy supplies, it would take many years to convert industry to using these sources of power, and implementing this is nome places may be hard (cars) or impossible (plastics, you can't make plastic out of solar energy, etc.)
[COLOR=Black] So... we shouldn't even bother? It is easily within our power to market hydrogen fuel in modern automotive systems in the next four years; it would not be difficult to sustain such a reaction, and once we had applied it for use in an internal combustion engine it would be a short leap to run power stations on hydrogen fuel. The only byproduct of such a reaction would be water, which could easily be cycled back into the equation to be broken down into even more hydrogen; this is not rocket science. The only real obstacle to a full hydrogen fuel conversion is the energy industry's reluctance to let go of such a huge cash cow as Arab oil.[/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Arwon]It's funny how the people who AREN'T afraid of the terrorists get called pussy.

Oh, my comment wasn't really specific to this thread, it's just an observation I've made and decided to post here.

[quote=higbvuyb]Even if one researched alternative energy supplies, it would take many years to convert industry to using these sources of power, and implementing this is nome places may be hard (cars) or impossible (plastics, you can't make plastic out of solar energy, etc.)

I'm no expert, but surely oil isn't the only source of hydrocarbons in the world? I think we could manufacture them, it'd take a lot of energy but if we all converted to things like solar energy energy would essentially be free anyway.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Dreadnought][COLOR=#e0e0e0][FONT=Arial]
[COLOR=Black] So... we shouldn't even bother? It is easily within our power to market hydrogen fuel in modern automotive systems in the next four years:
[/FONT][/COLOR]

The problem is, it requires more energy to convert water to hydrogen (and oxygen) than you get from burning hydrogen. This is basic chemistry, law of conservation of energy type thing. That's why we never try to make oil to burn, it would take too much energy. Instead, we find oil underground to use. It would be all good for your idea of we could find large amounts of hydrogen buried underground, but we don't. THat's why we don't use hydrogen as a fuel. Also, water vapour is a greenhouse gas.

Also, I'm not saying we shouldn't bother, I'm saying that it takes a long time co convert oil-using industries to renewable-energy using industries, so we need oil while we do this.

Quoted post:
I'm no expert, but surely oil isn't the only source of hydrocarbons in the world? I think we could manufacture them, it'd take a lot of energy but if we all converted to things like solar energy energy would essentially be free anyway.

Yes, natural gas, etc, but this requires far more energy, and so plastics would be very costly. Like, jewelry costly, if we had to make it from CO2, H2O, and electricity.

Quoted post: This message has been deleted by Speedfreak.

Accidental double post, or what?

Posted by Dreadnought

You use the words 'while we do this' which implies that the Industry actually has such plans to elimate oil-fuel dependence. Comment?

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting higbvuyb: Consider this: Large parts of the US' industries are directly reliant on oil (e.g. plastics manufacture, power stations). The rest are all indirectly reliant on it (transport, etc). If the price of oil rose significantly, the US economy would be damaged.
our economy hasn't suffered, as far as I can tell. Gas prices here in NY have jumped more than $1 in the last year (currently at $3.45/gallon in some parts near me) and people are still buying it. Even if it rose to $5/gallon, most people would still pay it. Having your own car is not a necessity in life, it's a convenience. Americans are too lazy to allow themselves to be inconvenienced from having to wait for a bus. If our government can't find ways to stop the massive hike in gas prices, they need to invest more time into developing better public transportation systems so people don't feel the need to pay those exuberant prices.

And as far as the industries are concerned, I don't see it affecting them directly as they pass the increases onto us, the consumer. My electric bill (which has nothing to do with oil or gas) is double what it should be due to a "Fuel Price Adjustment". "This item reflects costs incurred by LIPA in purchasing fuel used to generate electricity and for electric power purchased from other generators." So I am paying for the extra costs they are incurring to run their business, not them. For last month, my normal bill should have been $37, the "fuel price adjustment fee" was $21. Can you explain to me why it is fair for me to be paying a 57% surcharge to help them stay in business? Almost half of my bill is to pay this fuel fee. It's BS.

[quote]Even if one researched alternative energy supplies, it would take many years to convert industry to using these sources of power, and implementing this is nome places may be hard (cars) or impossible (plastics, you can't make plastic out of solar energy, etc.)

So? If we had started reseaching alternative methods 5yrs ago we would already be close to implementation. If we start now, then by 2010 we'll be on our way. Yes, it's a long time before we actually see the benefits, but it's better than doing nothing and being no better off 10yrs from now than we are today. 10 years ago it was absurd to think of a hybrid car, now they're commonplace. 10 years from now we may all be using them simply because we have no other option.

And if jewelery becomes more costly.... big whoop-dee-f'in-doo. Again, its not a nessecity, it's a luxury item. If some big shot wants to spend $20,000 for a Terumo watch, go ahead. I'm doing just fine with my Spongebob one I got from Burger King for only $2.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=higbvuyb]Yes, natural gas, etc, but this requires far more energy, and so plastics would be very costly. Like, jewelry costly, if we had to make it from CO2, H2O, and electricity.

Accidental double post, or what?

Right, so the problem is energy. If we get to a point where you can extremely easily harness the power of the sun, wind, tides etc then energy will be so cheap we can use tons of it to make plastic. No problem.

And yeah, it was a double post.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Aren't we overusing plastics for the most part?

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

"I would kill every man women and child in iraq if it got me home ten minutes earlier" We need more brave soldiers like this man.

Posted by Random

Quoting PWND_U_IN_MK: "I would kill every man women and child in iraq if it got me home ten minutes earlier" We need more brave soldiers like this man.

Ten Minutes.. thats pathetic. We're not there to just take over. We're there to save lives. If we were there to just take over we'd level the whole friggen country.

Posted by Iris

Huh? Alternate fuels ARE being researched. Implementing these new fuels, such as ethanol, is a very costly procedure though. The US economy can't afford to have gas prices sky-rocket AND make a new fuel source.

All of you are acting as if everything is in black and white. Nothing is as simple as you're all trying to say.

Posted by Arwon

Firstly, once again, the US actually has very cheap petrol, most of the rest of the world is paying 7 dollars a gallon or more.

More importantly though, the high prices are actually a spur to new fuel sources. Higher oil prices are good. The higher the price, the more economically viable other energy sources are and the more companies will actually explore for them.

80 dollars a barrel or more makes a whole range of alternate energy sources viable, both in terms of more-difficult-to-access types of fossil fuels (such as tar sands) and the further development of various renewables sources. The high prices are what makes these other things viable... cheap fuel meand there's no incentive for companies to implement them.

Posted by Iris

No, I mean the people. Citizens won't stand for paying the gas prices and funding a new energy source.

Posted by Lord of Spam

For the record, I like how when me and a few DAers spam a thread in OFF TOPIC it gets the banhammer, but when topics here start being about ****ing NOTHING that has to do with the original topic, its okay. So I'm going to ignore all the energy idiocy and just reply to the main idea k thnx.

First off, the "war" in iraq is unjust, shouldnt be there, blah blah blah etc. That being said, we ARE there, and we've unleashed a whole ****storm. Pulling out at this point would only let the region get even more destabilized, which is bad. So reconstruction obviously should be put number one.

second, joining with the express purpose of wanting to fight in iraq makes you a pretty big ****ing moron in my eyes. you want to serve your country, fine, rock on, i support that. you want to do it by blowing up houses that MIGHT have people inside that MIGHT wish you harm? No dice.

Posted by Arwon

LoS, don't fight thread drift. It's natural, threads want to be free!!!

Quoting Iris: No, I mean the people. Citizens won't stand for paying the gas prices and funding a new energy source.

They can't really do one without doing the other, it's a package deal. you're talking like these alternatives are an additional cost, but they're not. The increased cost of petroleum is what will DRIVE these things. It's the high price that enables these alternatives to be affordable and feasible.

By paying for petroleum products they're funding the energy companies, who are the ones who are able to do things like drilling in difficult-to-extract-from tar sands, instituting biofuels, and researching other energy sources (after all, they know they need to cover their arses for the long term).

The fact that mainstream oil products are expensive now too, means that they can actually undertake these alternative things without it costing more... they dont have that cheap easy stuff flowing to them, so it costs about the same per barrel to keep pumping the easy oil, as it does to invest in biofuel and tar sands and whathaveyou.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Lord of Spam: No dice.

Well, maybe some d4's, at least. But nothing else.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
-John Stuart Mill

Posted by Arwon

I absolutely guarantee you that Mill would not have supported either the War on Iraq or the War on Terrorism.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
-John Stuart Mill

That quote is still as dumb and untrue as the first time it was posted here.

Posted by Bebop

I think I speak for everyone when I say I just can't wait until the War on Terrorism is over and there wont be anymore terrosim left. Man I cant wait.

Posted by NES Queen

Just because I'm not willing to end someone else's life doesn't mean I won't stand up for myself and my beliefs. There's ways to accomplish things without the use of force.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Arwon: LoS, don't fight thread drift. It's natural, threads want to be free!!!

that was sorta my point. When me and DAers do it in off topic its spam, but here THEY do it and its allowed.

If this gets out of hand split my *****ing off, dont just delete it like I know you retards want to.

[quote]ell, maybe some d4's, at least. But nothing else.

not even d4s. I'm that serious. [spoiler]protip:not really[/spoiler]

Posted by mis0

Quoting Iris: Huh? Alternate fuels ARE being researched. Implementing these new fuels, such as ethanol, is a very costly procedure though. The US economy can't afford to have gas prices sky-rocket AND make a new fuel source.

All of you are acting as if everything is in black and white. Nothing is as simple as you're all trying to say.

The reality of it is that we basically know how to use Hydrogen to make electricity, and we can do it well enough to burn rubber on the track. Currently, though, battery and storage technologies aren't sufficient to make cars utilizing them suitable for daily use. So, in turn, there isn't much left to "research," it's now about perfecting the technology we already have. So, these are the people who currently have the infastructure and are expected to change it. Yeah, right.

As for the infastructure which needs to exist too (Hydrogen fuel stations in as many places as gas stations), nobody is willing to invest in them until a feasable Hydrogen car comes along, and these cars won't come along ifthe consumers can't drive them around due to a lack of fuel stations. And besides, the oil industry supposedly has more than $10 trillion USD in crude it wants to sell, and the advent of very inexpensive Hydrogen certainly would hamper it.

So, in short, there's nothing "new" to make or do. It's much more complex than that.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Arwon: I absolutely guarantee you that Mill would not have supported either the War on Iraq or the War on Terrorism.

irrelevent, as it wasn't quoted to defend either

[quote=raptor]That quote is still as dumb and untrue as the first time it was posted here.
meh. Your opinion doesn't equate to much from where I stand. Frankly it never has :D

[quote=nes queen]Just because I'm not willing to end someone else's life doesn't mean I won't stand up for myself and my beliefs. There's ways to accomplish things without the use of force.

Yeah, because everybody's reasonable and will listen to politicians, especially thosed backed with a verbal slap on the wrist and those without the fear of an army to put worth into their words. Fanatics and people hell-bent on killing or conquering don't listen to sheets of paper and rhetoric unless there's a RISK behind it, and that risk involves killing and fighting. I can't believe how naive you people are, especially YOU, NES Queen. I'm surprised such a naive bit of drivel was typed by you. While I am upset with my current government, I am somewhat grateful that it isn't loaded with pacisfists the likes of which I've seen here with their hollow rhetorics and naivete. I hate to break the cyber-taboo of invoking the name of Hitler, but I wonder if your bull**** Nickelodeon Diplomacies (I love that term, still) would have assuaged Dolfy's warmongering and made the world a happier, better place. To completely rule out use of force is idiotic. In most cases, the army backing politicians make up 90% of their bargaining strength.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: That quote is still as dumb and untrue as the first time it was posted here

in typical raptor fashion, nothing even remotly resembling intellegent argument found in any of his posts... Unless it has something to do with why humans are bad, and why we should all jump into a volcano or something else retarded like that.

Quoted post: Just because I'm not willing to end someone else's life doesn't mean I won't stand up for myself and my beliefs. There's ways to accomplish things without the use of force.

Id like to see you stop a suicide bomber without using force... Maybe BinLadens not such a bad guy afterall right? Maybe he just wants to talk? ... Im sure there were whakos running around saying the same thing in WWII as well...

The bottom line is, some people just need their *** kicked. Cops forcefully arrest people, Usually when someone murders someone, steals a car and goes joyriding down the 5 freeway, they usually dont give up without a fight, or after a nice talking too.