New Wii info!

Posted by Speedfreak

[QUOTE]
Nintendo

Posted by Burrito

Well, there goes my plan of downloading all the games on the virtual console. $4-8 can add up.

Also, that new Pokemon game actually looks pretty awesome. I hope it doesn't suck like XD or Coliseum.

Posted by Speedfreak

Uh, you were expecting to pay less than $4 for a game?

Posted by TendoAddict

I wonder how much ninty looses per system.

Posted by nich

I was. With the NES specifically, you can get a game for 4 bucks easy at a used games store, and on the Wii there's no cartrige, just the data. 8 bucks for an N64 is reasonable though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I hope that's not four bucks for a NES/SNES game. If so, **** that.

Posted by Klarth

This isn't talking about classic games, apparently it's talking about new games created by indy developers.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]I hope that's not four bucks for a NES/SNES game. If so, **** that.

Heh, well I've got a few great ported classics on my GBA, and I had no problem paying

I, however, do not. Because that's pretty much a waste of money.

Posted by Speedfreak

No more a waste of money than any other GBA game.

... what? Yes it is. We're talking about a twenty year-old game compared to one that was, let's say, released just last month... selling for the exact same price.

lol wtf.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Klarth: This isn't talking about classic games, apparently it's talking about new games created by indy developers.

Then why did it say from "Nintendo's immense Back catalogue"?

[Quote]Uh, you were expecting to pay less than $4 for a game? Well, I didn't necessarily expect it to be less than $4, but I certainly hoped so. A lot of the games I planned on downloading I already own. I just want to play them on the Wii.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: ... what? Yes it is. We're talking about a twenty year-old game compared to one that was, let's say, released just last month... selling for the exact same price.

Still, it takes the hastle of going out and buying the game itself. Plus the most will most likely find the good ones for over $10's.

But games are like collectables now, and you can play them, so its all good.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]... what? Yes it is. We're talking about a twenty year-old game compared to one that was, let's say, released just last month... selling for the exact same price.

lol wtf.

Super Mario World is one of the best games ever created, a game like that does not age. The fact that it still stands up to and betters most other GBA games today proves that it is worth just as much.

Worth of a game comes from it's quality, not from it's age. Nintendo could sell these games at a dollar apiece if they wanted to and make a modest profit, but that doesn't make any business sense whatsoever. And Nintendo are a business, not a charity. The demand for these games will be high because they are brilliant games.
The only reason stores sell retro games for so little is because they're trying to clear their inventory, not because that is what the game is worth. Carts take up space, space that could be used for games that would sell for $50.
Nintendo won't have an inventory, they'll all be stored electronically, so they're free to sell them at any price they see fit.

Honestly, though. I really can't see why you think $4 for Super Mario Bros is an unfair price. That's pocket change for one of the greatest games of all time. A game that can last you absolutely hours. And remember, you may have played a lot of these games but most people haven't. The oppertunity to try something like Chrono Trigger for the first time for $6 is a golden one.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: The fact that it's sold at a loss basically ensures that this is more than a beefed up Gamecube.

Quoting TendoAddict: I wonder how much ninty looses per system.

Why talk like though? Nintendo is the company that actually MADE money on GCN. We don't necessarily know that Wii going to sell at a loss.

Posted by NightmareBassX

I just hope in Pokemon Revolution, the gameplay is what I always hoped for.. And thats controlling the pokemon, using specific moves. I suppose that defeats the purpose of a "trainer" then, eh?

Quoted post: Then why did it say from "Nintendo's immense Back catalogue"?

Read the IGN article: http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711629p1.html

Speedfreak: tl;dr. It's a twenty year-old game that I most likely own or have played before. I'm not going to pay four bucks for it, let alone forty. And if the above article is correct, I might not have to.

Quoted post:
I just hope in Pokemon Revolution, the gameplay is what I always hoped for.. And thats controlling the pokemon, using specific moves. I suppose that defeats the purpose of a "trainer" then, eh?

Watch the videos. Same menu system. Expect, you actually get to see the pokemon attack eachother, not just the air.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Vampiro: Read the IGN article: http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711629p1.html
So, there's still hope, hooray!

[QUOTE]Watch the videos.

Videos! Where? Link plz. Edit: Oh nevermind. i found it.

I just had a thought. Wouldn't it be awesome if this new Pokemon game was actually a MMORPG? I doubt it, but that would be cool.

Posted by MooJ

Quoting Protoman: Why talk like though? Nintendo is the company that actually MADE money on GCN. We don't necessarily know that Wii going to sell at a loss.

Check out the first post in the thread...

[quote=speedfreak]In terms of Wii hardware sales, the plan is to shift a cool six million consoles globally before April 1, 2007, which will be sold at a marginal loss.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting MooJ: Check out the first post in the thread...

Oh, didn't see that. Yeah well I imagine that eventaully Nintendo will make money on them.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Read the IGN article: [URL="http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711629p1.html"]http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711629p1.html[/URL]

Speedfreak: tl;dr. It's a twenty year-old game that I most likely own or have played before. I'm not going to pay four bucks for it, let alone forty. And if the above article is correct, I might not have to.

Watch the videos. Same menu system. Expect, you actually get to see the pokemon attack eachother, not just the air.

You are an imbecile. First off, stop being a lazy cunt, the post isn't long in any sense.
Secondly, no one ever said they'd be charging full price.
Thirdly, Super Mario Bros, one of the greatest games ever created, is worth 4 measly dollars. Ocarina of Time, the highest rated game of all time, is worth 8. I don't care if you're from the ghetto, ethiopia or the moon, EIGHT DOLLARS IS AN EXTREMELY SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR SEVERAL DOZENS OF HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT.

Posted by Proto Man

More on Nintendo's Wii loss.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5822/

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Vampiro: Watch the videos. Same menu system. Expect, you actually get to see the pokemon attack eachother, not just the air.

Ahh, I assumed that since they had just announced it, there really wouldn't be any videos out yet. Guess I was foolish.

Quoted post: You are an imbecile. First off, stop being a lazy ****, the post isn't long in any sense.
Secondly, no one ever said they'd be charging full price.
Thirdly, Super Mario Bros, one of the greatest games ever created, is worth 4 measly dollars. Ocarina of Time, the highest rated game of all time, is worth 8. I don't care if you're from the ghetto, ethiopia or the moon, EIGHT DOLLARS IS AN EXTREMELY SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR SEVERAL DOZENS OF HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT.

Yes, I am dumb because I don't feel like arguing about what you do with your own money. Please, forgive me.

As for that second bit there, go back and read what you were previously talking about. I assume "full price" means £25, or around forty Canadian. My comment was directed towards that, obviously. I really don't feel a twenty year-old game, no matter how great, is worth that much right now. Yes, I repeated myself, and yes, the original comment was directed towards "Heh, well I've got a few great ported classics on my GBA, and I had no problem paying £25 for them." Classics being straight ports with next to nothing added. Classics which I most likely own.

Third part: I all ready own Super Mario Bros. Therefore, I would never spend four dollars to buy it again... without a box, without a booklet, without a cartridge. Oh, and I never mentioned anything about the eight dollar price-point, so don't put words in my mouth, thanks.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Yes, I am dumb because I don't feel like arguing about what you do with your own money. Please, forgive me.

As for that second bit there, go back and read what you were previously talking about. I assume "full price" means

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Burrito]Then why did it say from "Nintendo's immense Back catalogue"?
The guy who writes the article doesn't make things fact by getting them wrong.

fact, look it up

Quoted post: The thread is about a 4-8 dollar pricepoint, that's where it came from. Read.

Holy ****, Speedfreak... and you're calling me an idiot? Hahaha, Jesus Christ.

Quoted post: If you're not going to buy Super Mario Bros again anyway then stop *****ing, you've lost nothing. It's not like Nintendo can lower the price for games you already own but keep them a bit higher for people who haven't played them.

Why do you keep going on about this? Old S/NES games aren't even going to cost this much. It's for games made specifically for the Virtual Console. There's no doubt NES games are going to cost much less than 4 dollars...

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

$4 is less than £2.50, which is less than a half-hour's work at minimum wage. Stop whining.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Holy ****, Speedfreak... and you're calling me an idiot? Hahaha, Jesus Christ.

Why do you keep going on about this? Old S/NES games aren't even going to cost this much. It's for games made specifically for the Virtual Console. There's no doubt NES games are going to cost much less than 4 dollars...

Whatever it is, you're bitching that 4-8 dollars is too much for something.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: Whatever it is, you're bi[color]tching that 4-8 dollars is too much for something.

And if you had not started bi[color=navy]t
ching about his bitching, his bitching would have ended long ago. If he thinks its too much, its too much to him. Actually, out of all the NES/SNES titles I would like to have, I wouldn't have nearly as much as I wanted to buy them all. It adds up, but alone its alright.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't really see how anyone can expect to be able to buy about 50 top quality games without spending more than $100.

Posted by Bebop

Whoa man much I cant beleive how cheap the virtual games will be. I heard an N64 games could land you about 20 quid, now it's just 4? Ace man!

Oh, and if anyone is whining about it, you must be the biggest tight arses ever. "OMG PAYING 4 MEARSLY DOLLARS FOR A NES GAME MORE LIKE NES LAME AMIRTIE?!?!?!"

k, apparently people still don't realise we're not paying four dollars for an NES game. Those prices are still unannounced.

So, we can all pretty much assume the prices will be lower for S/NES games, which most likely means Nintendo thinks most people will think the way I am. And really, why shouldn't they? I mean, I'd gladly buy a four dollar NES game if they gave me a cartridge and a box, but they aren't.

Quoted post: Whatever it is, you're *****ing that 4-8 dollars is too much for something.

Oh, very good. I'm glad you figured that out all for yourself. Though it isn't just something, it's a twenty year-old game that's being sent to me over the internet.

Posted by Bebop

So youd rather buy a NES game if it can with a box and manual, instead of on the Wii is what your saying?

Posted by Speedfreak

So lemme get this straight, $4 for a game isn't worth it. $4 for a game, a cardboard box and a booklet is. Of those 4 dollars, the box and booklet must be worth a fair amount to bring the game from "ripoff" to "fair price". You obviously think they're worth more than a dollar, because no one would quibble over a single dollar. So I'm gonna go ahead and guess you think a box and booklet are worth half the price of the whole package, $2. That means you think an entertainment masterpeice that had dozens extremely talented people working on it to produce a product that stands the test of time is worth just as much as the things the normal, insane person throws away in the first 3 minutes of bringing it home. Ha.

Quoted post: So youd rather buy a NES game if it can with a box and manual, instead of on the Wii is what your saying?

I'm saying I would pay four dollars if it was something more than a download.

Quoted post:
So lemme get this straight, $4 for a game isn't worth it. $4 for a game, a cardboard box and a booklet is. Of those 4 dollars, the box and booklet must be worth a fair amount to bring the game from "ripoff" to "fair price". You obviously think they're worth more than a dollar, because no one would quibble over a single dollar. So I'm gonna go ahead and guess you think a box and booklet are worth half the price of the whole package, $2. That means you think an entertainment masterpeice that had dozens extremely talented people working on it to produce a product that stands the test of time is worth just as much as the things the normal, insane person throws away in the first 3 minutes of bringing it home. Ha.

A box, a manual, and a cartridge. Yes. I never called four dollars a rip-off, just, in my eyes, it's not worth it. If those three things were included, I still might not buy it, but I would definitely consider it a worthy purchase. And yes, I'm insane for liking to collect boxes and manuals and actually own a game that I can hold on to, rather than just a small file sitting inside my Wii. How terribly crazy of me.

I really don't understand why you're arguing about this with me. It's my money and I'll not spend it on whatever I like. You're being defensive over something you're not even involved with. My opinions will not affect you in any way, yet you feel the need to stick up for a four dollar NES file.

Ha.

Posted by Speedfreak

"So here's the prices"

"That's too much"

"Wtf, no it isn't."

That's not being defensive, that's just my opinion. That's the opinion of everyone who doesn't want to spend ages looking for game they've never played before that came out 15 years ago. If you care about boxes and manuals so much then your opinion on this isn't even relevent. It's like if someone came in complaining about everything PS3 and we later found out he doesn't even like videogames.

Don't think I don't understand where you're coming from, either. I spent £60 getting a PAL copy of Terranigma with the box and manual even though I already had it downloaded. But if I can I'll also download it on virtual console, because If I'm going to play it I want to play it legitimately and I want to do it without putting the pretty old game under any undue stress. A tenner would well be worth saving my favourite game from any wear and tear, let alone half that.

Posted by Bebop

So you want something solid for a better game and nostalgia feel. This is very true and a good point but calling a download for the same game at the same price a ripoff or anything similar is pretty wrong I'd say.

Quoted post: That's not being defensive, that's just my opinion.

It's not just an opinion. If it were, you would have been able to say "Yeah, ok, he thinks it's too much, I don't. Big deal" rather than "IT'S NOT TOO MUCH YOU IDIOT DO YOU REALLY EXPECT IT TO BE LOWER RAAAAGH!". There's a difference. I realise you're an agressive person online, but come on. Being agressive and defensive is just too much.

Quoted post: That's the opinion of everyone who doesn't want to spend ages looking for game they've never played before that came out 15 years ago. If you care about boxes and manuals so much then your opinion on this isn't even relevent. It's like if someone came in complaining about everything PS3 and we later found out he doesn't even like videogames.

They don't have to look for ages, just have Nintendo ship out boxes or whatever. Wouldn't be the first time a company has done that. Plus, my opinion is just as relevant to anyone else's since this whole argument is completely irrelevant.

Quoted post:
Don't think I don't understand where you're coming from, either. I spent £60 getting a PAL copy of Terranigma with the box and manual even though I already had it downloaded. But if I can I'll also download it on virtual console, because If I'm going to play it I want to play it legitimately and I want to do it without putting the pretty old game under any undue stress. A tenner would well be worth saving my favourite game from any wear and tear, let alone half that.

By cartridge/box/manual, I didn't mean the actual original game/box/manual. They could release the games in new boxes on CDs in stores for all I care. Just as long as I'm not paying for etc.

Quoted post:
This is very true and a good point but calling a download for the same game at the same price a ripoff or anything similar is pretty wrong I'd say.

Once again, I never called it a rip-off. Those were either your words or Speedfreak's.

Posted by Ant

It's a rip off.

Posted by TendoAddict

$4-8 dollars a rip off? Are you people totally nuts or just good actors.

I put alot of work into buying past games and I can tell you this is ***send if you want to play the game.

The work itself is easily over 8 dollars . You go to you're car and burn gas. Then you look for you're self for a bit only to find the games not there. Then you drive to another used place or look online. By the time you're done getting you're precious game you've burned more cash and done more work then it would take for the wii.

Of course you could argue that what makes it worth it is the game with the original parts. But comparing in the basic goal of purchasing the ability to play past favorites and buying the whole kit and kabootal for nostalgia is comparing oranges and apples. One is trying to achive playing the game and the other wants to collect it. Saying that the Wii's way is a rip off because it doesnt offer the real deal is a stupid. Wii's trying to deilver a game for a customer in the speediest and easyiest way for the gamer. A feat which it sould like the Wii can do.

So those people who think $4-8 bucks is too much can go on and not use that function on the wii. For the people who just want to play the classics easily will just it to the fullest.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting TendoAddict: $4-8 dollars a rip off? Are you people totally nuts or just good actors.

I put alot of work into buying past games and I can tell you this is ***send if you want to play the game.

The work itself is easily over 8 dollars . You go to you're car and burn gas. Then you look for you're self for a bit only to find the games not there. Then you drive to another used place or look online. By the time you're done getting you're precious game you've burned more cash and done more work then it would take for the wii.

Of course you could argue that what makes it worth it is the game with the original parts. But comparing in the basic goal of purchasing the ability to play past favorites and buying the whole kit and kabootal for nostalgia is comparing oranges and apples. One is trying to achive playing the game and the other wants to collect it. Saying that the Wii's way is a rip off because it doesnt offer the real deal is a stupid. Wii's trying to deilver a game for a customer in the speediest and easyiest way for the gamer. A feat which it sould like the Wii can do.

So those people who think $4-8 bucks is too much can go on and not use that function on the wii. For the people who just want to play the classics easily will just it to the fullest.

Since when did you burn gas typing in "Ebay.com"?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]It's not just an opinion. If it were, you would have been able to say "Yeah, ok, he thinks it's too much, I don't. Big deal" rather than "IT'S NOT TOO MUCH YOU IDIOT DO YOU REALLY EXPECT IT TO BE LOWER RAAAAGH!". There's a difference. I realise you're an agressive person online, but come on. Being agressive and defensive is just too much.

They don't have to look for ages, just have Nintendo ship out boxes or whatever. Wouldn't be the first time a company has done that. Plus, my opinion is just as relevant to anyone else's since this whole argument is completely irrelevant.

By cartridge/box/manual, I didn't mean the actual original game/box/manual. They could release the games in new boxes on CDs in stores for all I care. Just as long as I'm not paying for etc.

Once again, I never called it a rip-off. Those were either your words or Speedfreak's.

I have a differing opinion and I think your opinion is wrong. Because I think your opinion is wrong I'm putting forth an arguement, instead of just going "I disagree with your opinion because I think it's wrong". I do, personally, think you're an idiot for expecting it to be any lower, so I say so. That's not being defensive or aggressive, that's saying it how it is. If you want, I'm being defensive of my arguement and aggressively picking holes in your reasoning. That's kind of what you do when you disagree with someone ad don't want to leave it at "I disagree". Because you're retaliating you're being just as defensive and aggressive as me.

You obviously don't understand the importance of online distribution. The reason Nintendo can offer you all these games is because they don't have to spend money building factories to produce old carts and reprinting all the old manuals. If they did they would have to charge much more, not just to cover the overhead but to cover the games that don't get sold. I'm really getting sick of people whining that they can't get everything they want without considering the fact that getting everything you want might not be possible.

I never said you said "rip-off" either, but you have said $4 isn't worth it and it's too much. That implies that it's a bad deal, and bad deals are rip-offs. I'm paraphrasing.

Posted by Klarth

Idea:

Buy one of these cheap devkits for three-person teams Nintendo are purportedly offering. Distribute your games through VC. PEOPLE PAY AND YOU GET REVENUE.

Just a thought.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting NightmareBassX: Since when did you burn gas typing in "Ebay.com"?

So I guess all forms of purchasing old vidoegames are done on ebay then.

Silly me.

Quoted post: I have a differing opinion and I think your opinion is wrong.

You truly are an idiot then. How can my opinion possibly be wrong when none of this is based on any sort of fact? It can't, because it isn't. Just like how your opinion isn't wrong or anyone else's. It's my money, just like it is yours to waste on whatever stupid **** you want to buy.

Quoted post: I do, personally, think you're an idiot for expecting it to be any lower, so I say so. That's not being defensive or aggressive, that's saying it how it is. If you want, I'm being defensive of my arguement and aggressively picking holes in your reasoning.

I'm an idiot for expecting it to be lower? Huh. Yet, it seems like it WILL be lower. If brand-new games are being placed at a 4-8 dollar price-point, do you really think SMB will be five dollars? Not a chance. Maybe an N64 game will be eight, but I've never mention how I feel about that yet, and don't plan to, since I don't care either way.

Oh, and there's no holes in my reasoning. What is worth and not worth the money I work for is completely up to me and no one else. Just like how someone rich might feel an 100,000 dollar car is completely worth the price, most people disagree. It's an opinion, nothing more. If you truly feel the need to argue this, don't even bother. It would be an insanely pathetic thing to try to fight about.

Quoted post: Because you're retaliating you're being just as defensive and aggressive as me.

No ****. I wouldn't feel the need to say anything else if you didn't constantly feel the need to argue with me.

Quoted post: I never said you said "rip-off" either, but you have said $4 isn't worth it and it's too much. That implies that it's a bad deal, and bad deals are rip-offs. I'm paraphrasing.

"Rip-off" is a completely different extreme. Rip-off means "a theft", I do not feel like they're stealing money from me, I just don't think what they're offering is worth what they're charging.

In short: Grow up and stop trying to pick fights. It's really starting to get tiresome.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting TendoAddict: So I guess all forms of purchasing old vidoegames are done on ebay then.

Silly me.

Almost, but not quite. It might as well be though since GameStop bought EB and stopped selling old games. The only place that sells old games brick and morter anymore around here is Mircroplay and some local place. Either way, Techno has a point. Even with eBay, replace gas cost with shipping cost (which is equal to, if not greater than gas cost) and bingo! I would say that this way of getting the retro games that you want is one of the best yet!

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: In short: Grow up and stop trying to pick fights. It's really starting to get tiresome.

Actually, I find it quite entertaining. Especially since all the points he brings up are really good.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]Almost, but not quite. It might as well be though since GameStop bought EB and stopped selling old games. The only place that sells old games brick and morter anymore around here is Mircroplay and some local place. Either way, Techno has a point. Even with eBay, replace gas cost with shipping cost (which is equal to, if not greater than gas cost) and bingo! I would say that this way of getting the retro games that you want is one of the best yet!

I know ebay and other sites are easyer to use. But some people like to go out and look at expo's and such. Plus some people dont want the pressure of possibly getting outbid before they know it and loosing the sale. Infact thats a reason why I personally look in expo's.

But yeah e-bay most often times is easyer.