Digital Cameras

Posted by Xenos

I haven't been using this trinket for very long ... so I am still trying to learn the tricks and trades for it. If some of you have noticed, in the Yosemite thread, some of the pictures came out really blurred [as far as the background goes]. Is this a result of Flash?

Posted by juliebriggs

were you using a tripod?

the farther away something is the more the shaking in your hands is magnified

Posted by Xenos

Nope - no way I'm carrying one up there.

Posted by juliebriggs

my tripod is about the size of a soda bottle when its all folded up. works great for what i need

Posted by Xenos

Hmm... how much was it?

Posted by Raptor

I found a tripod which actually fits nicely in my pocket. Though it only telescopes to half my height, it can be very convenient for taking quality shots in awkward or low lighting.

On a digital camera's automatic mode, shutter speeds are automatically adjusted to suit particular lighting conditions. On fast shutter speeds, which are fine for scenes where lighting is good, any shaking of the camera isn't likely to have much effect at all, but on slower shutter speeds, any slight movement of the camera (due to trembling hands or whatnot) is likely to cause the image to appear blurry because the camera takes significantly longer to 'expose' the image.

Many recent digital cameras include a popular new feature commonly marketed as "anti-shake." These cameras contain a mechanism which helps to stabilise the unit while shooting to minimize the blur effect. I've never tried such a camera, personally, but I imagine it helps.

When I shoot in low light conditions, or in situations where the camera has difficulty focusing on a particular subject, I use a tripod and the camera's manual setting, where I can adjust the shutter speed and aperture value to suit the conditions. When photographing such subjects as waterfalls, you'll definitely want to use a faster shutter speed- otherwise, it won't capture the details very well at all.

Quoting juliebriggs: were you using a tripod?

the farther away something is the more the shaking in your hands is magnified

The shaking effect worsens the farther the camera is zoomed in on a subject, as well.

Posted by juliebriggs

yeah, i agree. not sure on the price of my tripod new though, its pretty old. remember though, tripods for digi cams are usually tiny and lightweight. dont go buying something designed for video cameras. im pretty sure the anti-shake mechanism helps too. it helps on video cameras. if your dont have a tripod or anti shake, u could always set it on something sturdy and set the timer. keeps any distortion to a minimum

Posted by Xenos

Ah - I only recently cared to take more "quality" photos - it's such a waste, waste, waste to go to such great lengths for a view and not be able to keep it.

Posted by juliebriggs

i wish my camera was of higher megapixel. 1.5 isnt enough anymore. proly the best advice i can give you without using a tripod is to take a deep breath before u snap a photo, then exhale slowly while you line up your shot, and when your completely out of breath, take the shot. snipers do that to steady their shots. works good with cameras too

Posted by Xenos

Thanks for the tips. :) I'll keep that in mind next time I head off.

Posted by juliebriggs

no problem :)