Arcade games you beat with a single quarter?

Posted by Destructoid

I got into talking with my friends about this some weeks ago and about how nowadays it's absolutely impossible - you gotta be there with $30 on average if you wanna finish an arcade game these days!

I remember getting really good at Double Dragon 1 in the arcade and finishing it with a single token a few times, and of course Street Fighter II after hundreds of dollars spent learning Blanka to T :)

Got some cabinets you knocked out in one slot shot? Post it!

Posted by ZEN

Double Dragon - The only one could beat on 25 cents.

I came close to be able to do 'The Simsons', but I would end up using 3-4 credits near the end.
Same for 'Altered Beast'.

I think the main reason why today's arcade games are nearly impossible to beat on a single quarter is because most of them cost at least 50 cents to play in the first place. I haven't seen any of those large cabinet/ fully interactive machines take a single quarter in nearly a decade.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Jurassic Park 3. All though it costs 75 cents to play to start with, I figured you're logic could be applied to mean 'beat a game on the first start' or something.

Posted by MarioStar

mrs pac man :)

Posted by veritas

Ive beaten double dragon as well

Posted by bazariah

it was allways dependeant on how the dip switches on the games pcb's were set to how much it would cost me to beat

in one arcade i smashed ninja turtles on one credit, it was set to hardest mode but 3 lives if memory serves, but then there were other arcades which set it on hardest but with 1 life

so with the settings idea in mind, games i beat on one credit are

ninjat turtles, simpsons, aliens vs predator, street fighter 2, street fighter 2 champion edition, street fighter 2 hyper fighting, super street fighter 2, super street fighter 2 turbo, street fighter the movie, double dragon, shinobi, golden axe, altered beast, operation wolf, knights of the round, darkstalkers strikers 1945 and shed loads of other titles

Posted by darkwhispers

i once beat blue's adventure with one quarter

Posted by coolness432

Got to the final boss on Metal Slug 2 once on 1 life but couldn't one quarter it, actually I didn't even beat it cause i spent 10 seconds looking for a second quarter

Posted by PhlyntheKT

PhlyntheKT
I beat Soul Caliber 2 in one shot.

Posted by Electrical Hazard

I beat Soul Caliber 2 in one play as well

Posted by S

I can beat a few of the Metal Slugs on 1 coin. But besides that, I don't really like the arcade save fighting games.

Posted by NeXidala

I beat one of the Jurrassic Park arcade games on one try with my cousin. It was dissapointingly short and easy. =/

Posted by Creedence

The crane game where you always win. Oh yea, mad skill.

Posted by Volgin

All of the gun games that are at least two years of age I complete everytime I go to an arcade with just one credit.

Everytime I go into an arcade (not that often anymore), I play them, since I know I can beat them with one credit. Time Crisis II is especially a breeze nowadays, and have completed it too many times to count, it bores me now to be honest, since I have completed it so effortlessly, not meaning to sound cocky or anything, but you know.

Posted by TEAMBAJA

I have Robocop out in the garage I have beaten several times.

Posted by David M. Awesome

[COLOR=Navy]Anyone can beat Soul Caliber 2 in one play through. Try doing that with SVC Chaos and we'll see how you do.

[/COLOR][COLOR=Navy]I beat Area 51 on one quarter, but the coin box had been left open so I could reuse the same one over and over and over. Infinite lives.[/COLOR]

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Silent Scope, when I used to have an arcade.

Posted by Degeneration

Yeah, Soul Calibur 2 was pretty easy to beat in one run. Tekken 4 wasn't too tough, either.

Posted by TheSorrow

Soul Calibur 1 & 2
Revolution X(techinically beat it with one quater if you count that it had 20 credits already on it, and also kind of regret wasting that one quater)
Silent Scope 1 and EX

Posted by Borealis

House of the Dead
Time Crisis

and Galaga, for as long as I have the patience to stay there.

Posted by O.T.L

In mexico the older arcade machines run at 1 peso ( $.10) the have a large library of games in 1 machine, i played metal slug and i can get to the last stage , but then i die alot , so i spend about a dollar .

the newer machines there play xbox games . You insert a peso and the machine lets you play for 6 minutes , when time is up it makes a annoying beeping sound , sounds like a fire alarm was set off .

Posted by Xero

Arcade games I won without adding credits? Well obviously, there's the DDR. I completed all 3 stages without losing once. But that's fairly easy.

The other games I usually play in an arcade are fighting or shooting games and those are usually impossible to complete without using more credits if you really want to go through the whole game.

[quote=oswaldothelegend;818887]In mexico the older arcade machines run at 1 peso ( $.10) the have a large library of games in 1 machine, i played metal slug and i can get to the last stage , but then i die alot , so i spend about a dollar .

the newer machines there play xbox games . You insert a peso and the machine lets you play for 6 minutes , when time is up it makes a annoying beeping sound , sounds like a fire alarm was set off .

I need to go to Mexico and find an arcade. The arcades around where I live make you pay 50 cents a credit most of the time; some games are a dollar a credit.

Posted by Linko_16

They have, like, one-yen arcades in Japan.

Getting to Japan costs exponentially more than getting to Mexico. In the end, your expenses are much greater.

Also, I speak Spanish, not Japanese. Cory can go to Japan if he wants.

Posted by O.T.L

Quoting Chris: Arcade games I won without adding credits? Well obviously, there's the DDR. I completed all 3 stages without losing once. But that's fairly easy.

The other games I usually play in an arcade are fighting or shooting games and those are usually impossible to complete without using more credits if you really want to go through the whole game.

they have a diffrent dance game in mexico also , i forget what its called , it has 5 platform things to step on , instead of 4 ,and they piont in a diffrent direction , DDR pionts north, south east, and west ,other one pionts in between those 2 , and then it has one in the middle

that runs at about ($.30) 3 pesos ....

Posted by ZEN

Confirmed! I can beat 'Altered Beast' in a single credit.
I can "no death run" the Genesis version (it's not exactly a tough game though).

Posted by Xero

Quoting oswaldothelegend: they have a diffrent dance game in mexico also , i forget what its called , it has 5 platform things to step on , instead of 4 ,and they piont in a diffrent direction , DDR pionts north, south east, and west ,other one pionts in between those 2 , and then it has one in the middle

that runs at about ($.30) 3 pesos ....

Hey that sounds like fun! :)

Too bad I'm planning on going to Mexico anytime soon...

Posted by Ziggy R

I'm not good at DDR, but yea, that sounds like hella fun!

The first Arcade game I beat with 1 credit (50 cents = 1 credit for the stupid machine) was a donkey kong machine. The game's old as dirt, but I still beat it. Woot.

Posted by O.T.L

i cant beat **** with a quarter/credit .. except for ddr

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

this one megaman game at pizza hut at my 10th birthday party' in fact that game introduced me to megaman.

other ones i remember are double dragon and robocop

Posted by Xero

I also completed 3 Expert 9 songs on In the Groove with the required credits without failing.

And I'm currently trying to beat all the levels of Capcom Vs. SNK 2 without failing. Hard.

Posted by G-Sides

me and a friend beat house of the dead 2 on one credit each. as for on my own, i honestly don't think i've beaten any on one credit.

but maybe i have 8-)

Posted by Ambellina

Soul Calibur 2. Our movie theatre has one, and every time we go there, I demonstrate Im still capable of beating it on hardest mode with one quarter xD

Another game I used to run through was Virtual On, a really cool robot fighting game that was also on the Sega Saturn.

Let's see... I used to be able to do those shooting games with my boyfriend as well, you know the ones where you use the giant plastic gun to point at the screen? There was one I always really liked, and cant remember the name anymore. We perfected that game for a while though xD

Posted by WEEGEEZ BAKK

SVC Chaos was pretty easy to beat. Even though it was set in hardest difficulty. And some of the KOF series too.