America is officially insane

Posted by Speedfreak

[URL="http://news.spong.com/article/10141"]http://news.spong.com/article/10141[/URL]

[QUOTE]
What with all the recent hoo-hah about overrated biblical thriller [URL="http://news.spong.com/article/10141#"]The Da Vinci Code[/URL], SPOnG has almost had it up to here with novels and spin-off games based on hyped up, fictionalised whodunnit

Posted by Ant

How is this scary? A spiritual awaking is the best thing to ever happen to this country. THINK OF ALL THE GREAT THINGS RELIGION HAS DONE FOR US!

Posted by Fate

I've heard about this. The graphics are terrible.

Posted by GameMiestro

This does prove that SPOnG is a terrible news source, America as a country has nothing to do with your article, and people love using quotes completely out of context to drive people away from the church. Plus, this seems suspiciously similar to Billy Graham's Bible Blaster, which is actually somewhat funny.

[IMG]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b177cd5713.jpg[/IMG]

Convert the heathens!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Does this have a screenshot where you see a map of the US and various states are being blown up like California and Texas?

Either way, this might actually be a Christian game worth playing.

Posted by Shin-Ra

This game is going to rule. Even if the controls and graphics are horrible, the prospect of converting or destroying "heathens" which I'm sure are very stereotyped and just plain ridiculous, is just too much for me too pass up. Comic gold.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'm so ****ing tired of you lumping my country into **** like this. It's a ****ing private company, you bigot peice of ****. That tears it. I'm going to go digging for goofy **** that Englanders do, just so I can pin it on your country. HAH WHAT BRILLIANCE (moron)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]I'm so ****ing tired of you lumping my country into **** like this. It's a ****ing private company, you bigot peice of ****. That tears it. I'm going to go digging for goofy **** that Englanders do, just so I can pin it on your country. HAH WHAT BRILLIANCE (moron)

This isn't the single reason America scares me, and I'm in no way implying that the entire country is involved in the games development. Don't you think I of all people would know how games are developed?

Make fun of England all you want, Brits will join in. It's kind of what we do. This isn't an attack on the American people, most of my friends and my girlfriend are American. Most if not all of them recognise that there's something crazy a-brewin' over there, if they can why can't you?

Anyway, it's this whole trend towards America becoming a mental theocracy that scares the crap out of me. First Creationism being taught in schools as a science, next nutters like these guys making videogames. Coupled with the fact that most Americans are Catholic (said it yourself) and highly impressionable (true for most countries), it makes for a pretty terrifying state of affairs. And thats without the corrupt government.

I actually wanted this to turn into a debate about this trend, but leave it to some uptight git who can't admit he lives among nutters to f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck it up. Thanks.

Hah, I lol'd at BJ's insane response to a thread about how insane America is.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Speedfreak]Coupled with the fact that most Americans are Catholic (said it yourself) and highly impressionable (true for most countries), it makes for a pretty terrifying state of affairs.

Only a quarter of Americans are Catholic. The day Protestants become the minority is the day the US explodes due to global warming.

EDIT: I just noticed that Vampiro used the word "America" instead of "US", which includes himself, I figure.

Quoted post: EDIT: I just noticed that Vampiro used the word "America" instead of "US", which includes himself, I figure.

America being used as another term for US?! NO WAY!

Posted by GameMiestro

I always thought other countries in N.A. and S.A. got annoyed when someone did that...

No, I don't see why anyone would. It's used to often that America pretty much means USA, while North America refers the whole continent.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]No, I don't see why anyone would. It's used to often that America pretty much means USA, while North America refers the whole continent.

Yeah, I know that, but it's sort of like referring to Mexicans as Spanish. The real meaning is obvious, but some people would be irritated...

I wouldn't say it's anything like "Mexicans are spanish", that's more due to ignorance. America as US, however, it more of a case of a word changing over time. Much like "gay/queer". Just not of the same magnitude.

And the only people who get irritated by that **** are uptight, patriotic *******s.

Posted by Arwon

You just winged him and made him a Unitarian!

The concept is kinda entertaining, I mean think about it... but I bet they pulled it off horribly. Probably aren't too many top notch strategy designers among the Premilenial Dispensationalist (look it up) crowd. They should have farmed it out to Sid Meier or Paradox... bet they could do something interesting with it.

Bet you can't play as the antichrist.

That all said, the crazy heretical end-of-the-world cult centred around the Left Behind series is pretty ****ing disturbing. And the books themselves are boring, terribly written tripe

And THAT all said, calm the hell down Speedfreak... getting worked up over this is like the anti-videogame crowd getting upset about the content of other games. Change a few nouns and the topic of the game and this article is identical in tone to the strill editorialising about Grand Theft Auto or whathaveyou. Imagine a similar outcry over Civilization... AND YOU TAKE THE ROLE OF A BRUTAL TYRANT, AND DESTROY ENTIRE CITIES, AND WAGE RELIGIOUS WARS AND STARVE AND NUKE PEOPLE.

"It's just a game" is good for the goose as well as the gander.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting GameMiestro: I always thought other countries in N.A. and S.A. got annoyed when someone did that...

For the most part it's assumed that when referring to America, it is implied that you are referring to the United States of. When I was in Ireland though I was told to say I was from either The United States, or simply New York if asked, but not to say "America" since they use that to describe the continent (which doesn't make much sense since there's two of them, unless they just meant "somewhere out west").

Regardless.... South Park already made fun of this whole christian video game thing of good vs. evil last year I believe.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting GameMiestro: This does prove that SPOnG is a terrible news source, America as a country has nothing to do with your article, and people love using quotes completely out of context to drive people away from the church. Plus, this seems suspiciously similar to Billy Graham's Bible Blaster, which is actually somewhat funny.

Its an article about an AMERICAN game that is being based off of AMERICAN book series, that has to do with the AMERICAN morons who think the woprld is ending soon. I'd say America is tied in a bit. Also, how does an rts seem similar to a crappy fps? Failget.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

way to backpeddal, Speedy. You constantly implied that the entire country was insane, and then you start using double-talk to back out of it, calling me an "uptight git" (you Brits have such silly insults). I'm just tired of your US bashing. At least others typically do it by using examples from the military or policy, but you tend to just post some moronic article about a singular event and then smear the pastey layer of stereotype across the entire country. At least be intelligent about it, if that's possible. I mean, it's got to be hard to be smart in a country that spawned the Spice Girls. England created the spice girls, and the spice girls are stupid, erego, England is full of stupid people. I win!

Posted by Speedfreak

*criticism of America*

*generic, irrelevent comment about how the whole of America isn't like that followed by criticism of England*

*agreement with criticism of England and denial of generalisation*

*see step 2*

If there was a language for it, I could program your arguements.

Meanwhile, in sanity-land...

[quote=Arwon]And THAT all said, calm the hell down Speedfreak... getting worked up over this is like the anti-videogame crowd getting upset about the content of other games. Change a few nouns and the topic of the game and this article is identical in tone to the strill editorialising about Grand Theft Auto or whathaveyou. Imagine a similar outcry over Civilization... AND YOU TAKE THE ROLE OF A BRUTAL TYRANT, AND DESTROY ENTIRE CITIES, AND WAGE RELIGIOUS WARS AND STARVE AND NUKE PEOPLE.

"It's just a game" is good for the goose as well as the gander.

That's what I find interesting about this. The fact that a game about killing people for no reason somehow isn't as bad as a game about killing people for very specific, stupid reason. Also consider the fact that if this was a game about Islam people would go even more crazy, but because it's based off of another religious text it's much more likely to be accepted. The game itself isn't pushing me into any kind of panic mode, though. It's the latest small event in a long line of events of parts of the US going completely cuckoo. I truly fear for what the US might become in 40 or 50 years if this keeps up.

Posted by s0ul

Bj, the guy clearly has no prejudice against America as a whole; just the fact that the country harbors such insane people should be some degree of scary, which is clearly what he's talking about. When did you go crazy anyway?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=s0ul]Bj, the guy clearly has no prejudice against America as a whole; just the fact that the country harbors such insane people should be some degree of scary, which is clearly what he's talking about. When did you go crazy anyway?

I honestly don't know where he gets it from. American TV shows point out more crap than I do, and the fact that I'm considering living there is proof enough that I don't think every single American is crazy.

Posted by s0ul

Never mind logic, he's got a country to defend from an onslaught of petty, light-hearted social criticism!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

It gets old. "America scares me", "Americans are stupid" etc etc, go looking through his threads if you want. We live in a society where I can't say "******" because it's politcally incorrect, so I think Speedfreak needs to chill out and learn how to write properly, as his writings can be interpreted differently than he CLAIMS to have meant.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

nee gerrs was the word

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Oh **** off, soul. He generalizes based off of extreme examples of morons he finds online. The tact gloves come off when you pull stupid **** like that, so quit licking his balls.

Posted by s0ul

Wow, right when it looked like your were about to see the light with you realizing that writing can (wait for it) be interpreted differently (i.e. incorrectly), you come up with the cunning theory that I am in fact licking his balls. Yeah, that or I'm not a dumb**** patriot who can't tell when someone is just making a thread about some interesting bit of news and cracking a joke while he's at it. You know **** well he'd make fun of England or any other country in the world if they made it.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]That tears it.Do you listen to Phil Hendrie?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

nope

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Vampiro:
And the only people who get irritated by that **** are uptight, patriotic *******s.

Germany is calling my name.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, cuz theres no American presence in Germany. Oh, hello Ramstein AFB, major staging point of things being sent to/from iraq.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]It gets old. "America scares me", "Americans are stupid" etc etc, go looking through his threads if you want. We live in a society where I can't say "******" because it's politcally incorrect, so I think Speedfreak needs to chill out and learn how to write properly, as his writings can be interpreted differently than he CLAIMS to have meant.

You're the one going absolutely insane over an obvious exaggeration and you're the one bitching about political correctness?