50 Cent's latest... "The Massacre"

Posted by Mixhael

I myself don't even like 50, but I do think it's funny that they had to push up the release date of his new album because it already went triple platinum on the Internet thanks to yousendit.com, soulseek, irc, and kazaa. As if pushing the release date wasn't enough, now there's some new beef about him and the now former member of G-Unit known as The Game. He pretty much kicked out The Game by means of getting his name in the press even longer so that people remember that his album isn't free in retail stores. Just thought I'd update vgchat on what's happening in Rap these days. It's getting a lot of hype and chances are you won't be able to avoid the singles from it on MTV/Radio.

As far as the album itself goes, if you are a fan, please use this thread that will probably see few replies to explain why. I've listened to both albums and I really don't get what all the fuss is about. I guess the beats are very car-bumping-night-club-dancing friendly, but there are instrumental versions of most of the hit songs so you can just ignore 50's lack of mic presense altogether.

Posted by Richaod

Hehehe, triple platinum on the internet. :)

Candy Shop was weird, boring and strange.

Anyway, fans probably like 50 Cent just because he's one of a handful of mainstream rappers. I'm sure they'd try to get into some more interesting material, but as you said, the exposure is all for the mainstream material.

Posted by Mixhael

NEW YORK (AFP) - New York rapper 50 Cent's new album "The Massacre" has sold 1.1 million units in just four days, the sixth highest album sales ever, according to music sales tracking company Nielsen SoundScan.

The rapper, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, 26, smashed his own sales record: his 2003 album "Get Rich or Die Tryin" sold 872,000 albums also in four days.

Three of "The Massacre"'s album's tracks -- "Candy Shop," "How We Do" (together with The Game) and "Disco Inferno" -- are among the top five in Billboard's ranking of the most popular 100 songs.

According to Geoff Mayfield, the director of Billboard charts, this feat had not been repeated since The Beatles in 1964.

---

Amazing. I would have never ever guessed I'd see those numbers in my life from a rapper. I care about the feat itself, not 50 cent, so that's why I'm replying to a dead thread to keep you all in the know for music history's sake.

Posted by Kamek

Well, with "Piggy Bank" calling out rappers left and right, it's definitely making things interesting. The song itself wasn't really all that powerful, just a few simple shots, but we can already some new rivalries brewing. The Jadakiss response track "Checkmate" was pretty alright, even though he says his real response will come on Styles P's new album. The response from Fat Joe wasn't all that great, but the beat was pretty nice. What I really want however, is a response from Nas. Nas is one of the best battle rappers out there (see: Ether) and I'd love to see him rip 50.