VGC: Let the games begin!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

So, I noticed the [URL="http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=13849"]Summer Contest[/URL], and I've been inspired to suggest another Summer event - VGC Gaming tournaments.

There's plenty of love for online play, and it's about time we seen who the gaming champions of VGC are. It could involve quite a few games - I know there's plenty of love for DS WiFi play, quite a few posters have mentioned Starcraft and Counter Strike. SNES/NES/GB Netplay wouldn't be out of the question, either (though it's teh illegalz)

Basically, I started this thread for a number of reasons - to see how much support these tournaments would have, and what games would have the biggest player bases.

Feel free to suggest the games you think should be played. So far, the best bets I can think of are:

[LIST]
[*]Starcraft
[*]Counter Strike
[*]Halo 2
[*]Tetris DS
[*]Mario Kart
[*]Metroid Prime: Hunters
[*]SNES Netplay titles
[/LIST]

Posted by GameMiestro

Trying to organize battles online is next to impossible, so you're going to have a heck of a time making this work.

And if you're just looking for good online games, include THAS, as it's probably the best multiplayer on the DS, even though few people own it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting GameMiestro: Trying to organize battles online is next to impossible, so you're going to have a heck of a time making this work.

Most of the games would probably be one-on-ones, so there isn't that much of a problem - though I guess it would have to be team efforts for CS.

I don't see why it would be that much of a problem. Make up a tournament tree, get people to IM each other or post time details, then meet up. Disqualification would be a decent incentive for anyone who doesn't show up on time.

Posted by GameMiestro

Perhaps you could do a more open tournament. If two vgc'ers meet online, they post the results, and the people with the most wins at the end are declared "the winner".

Posted by Stalolin

gunbound. add gunbound.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Fair point - we'll see how many people are interested first. It might be quite useful for interested users to use this form so we can get a general census -

User:
Availability:
XBL Gamertag:
Would play game(s):

For me:

User: The X
Availability: Weekends / 7:30pm GMT - 11:30pm GMT.
XBL Gamertag: N/A
Would play game(s):
[LIST]
[*]Unreal Tournament 2004
[*]Age of Empires III
[*]Age of Empires II (Conquerors included)
[*]Star Wars: Jedi Academy
[*]Star Wars: Jedi Outcast
[*]Star Wars: Empire at War
[*]Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
[*]Starcraft (Brood War included)
[*]Tetris DS
[*]Mario Kart DS
[*]Metroid Prime Hunters
[*]Most SNES titles
[/LIST]

Quoting Stalolin: gunbound. add gunbound.

Strange you mention it, I was going to put that in there in the first post.

:cool:

Posted by Stalolin

****. I just uninstalled Jedi Academy a couple of days ago.

And then I deleted the Virtual CDs for them because I figured I wouldn't ever play it again.

I WILL PLAY:

ANY STEAM GAME (COUNTER-STRIKE, HALF-LIFE 2 : DEATHMATCH, ETC.)

GUNBOUND

And I'm going to have to add more later.

contact over MSN if you would like to play!!!!

Posted by GameMiestro

With Starcraft, do something like an insta-build or diplomacy map. FFA is no fun at all...

Username: G.Miestro for DS, and AmMichael for Starcraft
Availability: With the DS, virtually any time. With Starcraft... in hour long segments throughout the middle of the day.
Games:
-Starcraft
-Mario Kart DS
-Metroid Prime Hunters

If anyone else has Lost Magic, Tony Hawk: American Sk8land, or Warcraft II (though it's not as good as Starcraft), I'd like to play that too.

If anyone has Warcraft I, I'd really like to do that on multiplayer. :)

Posted by Draxamus

I'LL KICK ANYONE'S ASS HERE AT ZDAEMON

Posted by Alastor

I'd be all over this if 1. I had a half-decent gaming computer, and 2. If I F*CKING HAD DSL :(

I'll fill this out anyways. I'll have a high-speed connection eventually, but we may have to move. I'm unsure on alot of the specifics.

User: Alastor
Availability: All Summer (Subject to change if I get a job.)
XBL Gamertag: The Dan Slice (Expires July 28, unknown if I'll renew it or get a new one.)
Would play game(s):[LIST]
[*]Halo 2 (XBL)
[*]Madden NFL '06 (XBL)
[*]Age of Empires II: Age of Kings/TheConquerors (Pirated, can only play with other pirated versions. :()
[*]Star Wars: Jedi Knight Academy (Need a new PC for this, but I have the game.)
[*]Gunbound[/LIST]

Granted I get a job this summer, I'll buy a new PC, and I might go stay with my sister for a few weeks if she gets DSL/Cable before we do. I could go and buy the actual copy of AoE II for like ten bucks, though. Starcraft, too.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If your computer's specs are an issue Alastor, you might want to invest in a SNES tournament.

;)

Posted by Linkman

It'll be extremely difficult to organize something like this, but if you want to try, ok..

User tags:
  DS Online: Linkman
  Gunbound: TehStrom

Availability: mostly nights for Gunbound, and whenever I'm bored and near the internet for Mario Kart DS.

Would play game(s):[list]
[*]Mario Kart DS
[*]Gunbound[/list]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Linkman: It'll be extremely difficult to organize something like this, but if you want to try, ok..

I don't think it would be that hard - the only issue is the reliability of the contestants. Enough people, and each game can have its own tournament tree - otherwise, it's a round-robin points group tournament. If the idea gains any momentum, I might request a temporary blog with specific threads pertaining to each game in the tournament.

But we shall see.

Posted by Arczu

Would play:
Unreal Tournament 2004

I have to re-install it, but I'd probably be up for this. It's about the only game I could manage on-line.

Question though, what do you mean by SNES online?

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Arczu][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Would play:
Unreal Tournament 2004

I have to re-install it, but I'd probably be up for this. It's about the only game I could manage on-line.

Question though, what do you mean by SNES online?[/SIZE][/FONT]
Some SNES emulators have the ability to play with other people online. ZSNES just needs an IP address to connect to someone else.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Stalolin: Some SNES emulators have the ability to play with other people online. ZSNES just needs an IP address to connect to someone else.

... and an identical ROM dump to your opponent.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to go more in-depth about SNES netplay, but anyone who's curious can drop me a PM.

;)

Posted by NegativeTrend

I'm down for UT2004, SNES (or any other emulator with online play for that matter), and NBA Live 06.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Mario Kart DS, Gunbound and UT2004 seem to have the most support so far - though it's still early days.

Posted by higbvuyb

Starcraft could be split into normal gaming and UMS maps, becuase almost everyone who plays starcraft plays UMS maps often, if not always.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting higbvuyb: Starcraft could be split into normal gaming and UMS maps, becuase almost everyone who plays starcraft plays UMS maps often, if not always.

Does anyone still play FFA? I think it would probably be an exclusively UMS tournament.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting The X: Does anyone still play FFA? I think it would probably be an exclusively UMS tournament.

I don't play any non-UMS maps on Battle.net, probably because I suck :(
However, I still play with my friends at 'internet caf