Would you rather ...

Posted by Xenos

Live in a happy illusion or rather know the "truth" [the "truth" being whatever you can imagine] and become unhappy?

To me ... I think I'd rather live in light and know exactly what was going on. Even if I were to live in an illusion, I'd become suspicious afterawhile and question whether or not I am really this "fortunate."

Posted by juliebriggs

the matrix has you

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Happy lie. No question.

Posted by GameMiestro

Depends how good the lie is.

Posted by Dexter

I imagine I would be happy knowing the truth. I could accept it well and be able to incorporate it into my lifestyle. Not knowing is annoying. It makes me inquisitive and worried.

Posted by Dreadnought

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Dreadnought]The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

But not before you chant that whilst slashing your wrists?

Posted by juliebriggs

thats so post-emo

Posted by The Judge

As grand as knowledge is, I think I'd rather be stupid and happy.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Dreadnought: The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

So, where did you copy that from?:)

Posted by Dreadnought

Stfux. Lovecraft owns the skies.

Posted by ~vampire~

I voted for the truth. Better learn it now than later when I might not be ready for it.

Posted by ExoXile

Whatever it is, I'd always want to know the truth.
Things are easier to deal with knowing them.

And also, the truth is always right. :D

Posted by Raptor

Living a happy lie is the obvious choice for me. That's what childhood was, and when I reflect back on my childhood, things seemed much simpler back then. I was allowed to be so much more carefree, and because I was ignorant to all the suffering and tragedy in the world, I generally felt much more content. I would rather live out my entire life under a delusion that I am doing things that are meaningful, rather than be constantly aware that survival is ultimately meaningless and every day is a complete waste of time. Ignorance is bliss, and since what I value life most for is beauty, love, and happiness, maybe I should try to stay as 'blissful' as I possibly can. Maybe that's why I've chosen to create and become lost in my own furry world most of the time. It's what makes me happy.

Sans every illusion and fabrication conjured by our minds, "reality" must be a cold, empty, and utterly unattractive place. "The truth" is something I most likely will never want to be able to perceive. The more I knew of it, the harder life would be to deal with.

Posted by ExoXile

Reality is what you make of it.

Everything isn't as bad as you make of it, at all.
THAT is ignorance.

Posted by Linko_16

I prefer the truth. That's just the kind of person I am, even if it hurts me. I have few other pursuits in life.

Posted by Dreadnought

I'd prefer to know the truth and have a sort of cathartic resignation than live a stupid, temporarily happy one. Its often the things you don't know about which swing around out of the darkness and hit you the hardest.

Posted by Noir

It kind of depends. I absolutely hate it when people arent upfront with me. Living a happy lie that everyone else can see through makes you look like somewhat of a fool, so...
depending on how big the truth (or lie) is, I choose the truth.

Posted by Domino

I would actually live the lie if I was going to be happier.

Posted by mis0

I prefer the unhappy truth. Actually, anyone who is fairly aware of the workings of our world has reason to be unhappy about it.

Posted by CynicalBastard

What makes you think that if I knew the truth I'd be unhappy? For me, the pursuit and gaining of truth makes me happy. And if it really came down to those two choices for whatever circumstances, I'd probably take the unhappy truth, because then not only would I be enlightened but I could spread my vast wisdom around to others.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting CynicalBastard: What makes you think that if I knew the truth I'd be unhappy?

Read "The Giver" sometime. I haven't read it in ages, but it's basically about a society that lives in a sheltered, happy, perfect world. Everything they do and say is highly regulated, not in a 1984 sort of way, but more like they're brought up to be totally uniform, unquestioning, and happy to be so. Only one designated person knows anything about pain, toil, unhappiness, et cetera, and that's the person who aids them in decisions that effect the whole settlement. The story is told from the viewpoint of a boy who's chosen to be the next of these people, going on to be trained by his predecessor, and his experiences with this forbidden knowledge.

Man, now I want to read that book again. Must've been the fourth or fifth grade when I did so, for the first and last time so far.

Posted by Arczu

Nice... a new book a need to look for.

Also, truth. Ignorance may be bliss, but that's after you give up.

...or something like that...

Posted by

Know the truth And be unhappy..yes if you dont know the truth then when you know it might kill you later ...its better to know first then if you wait it will affect you more in life later..