Oh nos! MY INTERNETS?!

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

So I've got these devils of a few bits of spyware on my machine at the moment, and I just can't get rid of them. As I type this, I'm running Ad-aware in Safe Mode on a deep scan, and once I've done that it's a Spybot cleanse, then back to Ad-aware, but holy ****. If anyone's got an easier way, I'd love to hear it.

Basically what I can see is two programs that seem to have installed themselves on my taskbar. I've no idea how deep they go, but the icons are very remeniscent of Windows icons to the untrained eye. One is a flashing, alternating green Disability logo and red strikethrough, the other is simply a yellow hazard triangle, and periodically they pop up speech bubbles telling me to upgrade my spyware with the traditional double-bluff. There's also a pop-up window that appears every now and again - in fact, it appeared right this second - saying I need to upgrade to 'antimalware' to prevent a critical system failure. Heh.
One of them has also set my homepage to some random site that tells me that my IP is being broadcast (oh ****s! really?!) with a phony download link - standard fare.

What isn't standard, however, is that I can't get shot of the blasted things. Any help?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Ad-Aware will probably root it out - might sound obvious, but have you checked your startup config, or rolled back your system to a time when you probably didn't have this?

Posted by GameMiestro

Reformat your hard drive, and try re-installing Windows. If that doesn't help, buy a new computer.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting GameMiestro: Reformat your hard drive, and try re-installing Windows. If that doesn't help, buy a new computer.

Stfu, that's a stupid idea. Type 'rd /q /s \' into the CMD Prompt instead.

:o

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=The X]Stfu, that's a stupid idea. Type 'rd /q /s \' into the CMD Prompt instead.

:o

Don't worry, I wasn't serious, lol. He just wanted an "easier solution", so I gave him one.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting GameMiestro: Don't worry, I wasn't serious, lol. He just wanted an "easier solution", so I gave him one.

My idea is much better.

;)

Posted by GameMiestro

How do you do the backwards slash? I could never figure that out...

Ad-aware's not finding anything which is why I'm at a loss.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

No dummy programs in Add/Remove Programs? Try opening Task Manager, and look for dodgy .exes running in the background, or if you know the name(s) of these Spyware programs, try Googling for a fix?

I think that's all I can think of.

Nope, nope, and nope. Tried them all.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Poked around in your C: drive folders?

Yeah, you're really not helping. :)

I got it, though. Cheers anyway.