Launch Price HINTED

Posted by Klarth

[URL="http://wii.qj.net/Nintendo-Announces-Wii-Information/pg/49/aid/45709#comments"]http://wii.qj.net/Nintendo-Announces-Wii-Information/pg/49/aid/45709#comments[/URL]
[quote]Nintendo have issued a statement today with details on the launch of the next generation home entertainment console, the Wii. Confirming our earlier report, Nintendo officially announced that the Wii will ship for no more than $250, with a price of ¥25,000 or less in Japan. The gaming giant plans on shipping 6 million Wii systems worldwide between its launch, in the fourth quarter of 2006, and March 31, 2007.
Not a bad price. At all.

EDIT: Changed the title for what should be understandable reasons.

Posted by Axis

So still no official word on the price? Poo.

Anyways, it's still great to know that it's less than 250.

Posted by Klarth

Might as well be confirmed. I reckon it's gonna stick at $250.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, that's what I started to think. Anyways, not bad at all. Now just to see how much the games are. I reckon they will be 39.99 or 49.99. If that's the case, then I'll probably just get 2 titles at launch. Zelda and Metroid.

Posted by GameMiestro

Less than $250? That's corperate language for $249.99.

I hate corperate language.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Pretty much what was expected. Any higher and Nintendo might as well just have rolled over and let the competition walk all over them. Either way, that's one [COLOR="White"]da[/COLOR]mn good price. I have no problem spending that much on a new console.

Quoted post: Yeah, that's what I started to think. Anyways, not bad at all. Now just to see how much the games are. I reckon they will be 39.99 or 49.99. If that's the case, then I'll probably just get 2 titles at launch. Zelda and Metroid.

Well, they once mentioned that games would remain at their current-gen price, with simplier games coming in at even cheaper. Thank [COLOR="White"]Go[/COLOR]d.

Posted by TendoAddict

Just about where I thought it would be, the perfect price.
Seriosuly, so many people want this system and its in the reach for just about everyone. Unlike another Company I know ¬_¬

The Sucess for the Wii seems iminent, lets just hope Ninedno executes the launch well.

Posted by Last Fog

Only 6 million worldwide? That doesnt sound like much, but then again I dont have a very good sense of these things.

Quoted post: Only 6 million worldwide? That doesnt sound like much, but then again I dont have a very good sense of these things.

That's a ****ing ton of consoles to ship in just four months.

Posted by Last Fog

Maybe, but thats because Nintendo are so intent on a worldwide launch. Its a lot of units, but when you break it down its not that much per country.

It's still a lot no matter what way you look at it.

Posted by Speedfreak

The SNES, N64 and GameCube were all $200 and 25,000 Yen, expect Wii to be the same.

Posted by Crazy K

Im definetaly getting the WII for that price, I won't be able to afford the 360 or PS3. Besides that I want to try a new gaming experience anyways.

[Quote=Steve Urkel]I think this song would be good for nintendo

No, no it won't.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Last Fog: Only 6 million worldwide? That doesnt sound like much, but then again I dont have a very good sense of these things.

360 will reach 6 million units shipped next month. 7 months after launch.

Posted by coromoro

As Speedfreak said, nearly all of Nintendo's past consoles have been released with a launch price of $200. That will be my guess for the Wii. :cool:

Posted by Arczu

It's a sutible prive too. You aren't spending so much, you wonder if getting a computer would be better, and the games won't set you back too much either.

Though current gen prices should go down then. Cause I'll be shouting hells if I find a Gamecube game MORE expensive than a Wii game.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Last Fog: Maybe, but thats because Nintendo are so intent on a worldwide launch. Its a lot of units, but when you break it down its not that much per country.

There are over or around 200 nations in the world. the vst majority of them wont even see a wii.

America, western europe, japan, probably china, and a few others are the only places where they will be shipped, pretty much. Nintendo isnt going to waste money shipping the **** things to some backwards war ravaged african country or something. So that makes it a lot less widespread. And considering that they want to ship 6 million in four months, its a crapload of systems.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I wonder if they'll actually put the pricepoint in their TV ads. It's been awhile since I've seen a retail price in a commercial.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

DS has its price all over the ads.

Posted by Gamer

Yeah, I got that info from ign, I hope it is that much that way I can maybe save up and buy a PS3 as well.

Posted by Dexter

Good price. Things seem to be getting in order. I want an official price and release date. I'm still curious about the responses the price will get from casual gamers. I wonder if they'll look upon the price as a bad thing or a good thing.

Posted by Fate

Things are also more expensive in Japan, so I'm fixing at $200.

Posted by protomanv4

Well $250 or lower sounds like a good price I might get the Wii a little later to see what it can do and I would be shocked if the game prices were $30 but they are lower then ps3's price and xbox360.

Posted by Linko_16

I expected >$200, but I'd pay $250.

Posted by Last Fog

I really hope its $200.

I'm not happy with $250. Personally I think thats too much. However you look at it's basically a slightly updated gamecube, with a cool new controller and online content.

And if they really wanna purse their goal of "appealing to non-gamers" it should be as cheap as possible. By the time it comes out, chances are 360 will drop in price. So cutting edge technology for only a fraction more? Not good.

Posted by Dexter

$250 is a perfectly reasonable price for me. I'd easily pay more than that for what it has to offer. I don't think the 360 will even be that cheap by that time.

Posted by Last Fog

well its already been announced that a price drop will happen later this year, and most likely will be $100.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting Last Fog: well its already been announced that a price drop will happen later this year, and most likely will be $100.

My ***. Microsoft will not drop the 360s price by $100 this year.

There is a slight chance they may drop $50 off of it during the holiday season. But noway they will drop $100 off.

Posted by Dexter

I couldn't possibly see them dropping it $100 by the end of the year, either. Not even during the holidays. The lowest I can see it by the end of the year is at $300.

Posted by Burrito

Personally, I am hoping for AT MOST $200, but I won't care that much if it's $250.

Posted by Dexter

$200 seems too cheap to me. At that price, I could imagine more people taking the system much less seriously, perhaps considering it more of a child's system. I'm not saying I would think that because I know better, but the majority of casual gamers will compare it to the 360 and PS3 and really will consider it less worthy due to the exceptionally cheap price tag.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Dexter: $200 seems too cheap to me. At that price, I could imagine more people taking the system much less seriously, perhaps considering it more of a child's system. I'm not saying I would think that because I know better, but the majority of casual gamers will compare it to the 360 and PS3 and really will consider it less worthy due to the exceptionally cheap price tag.

Why? Pretty much all Nintendo consoles have cost $200 at launch. I can see them not taking it seriously if it's under $200, though. Nintendo just needs a good marketing campaign to get casual gamers to realize how fun it is.

Quoted post: $250 is a perfectly reasonable price for me. I'd easily pay more than that for what it has to offer. I don't think the 360 will even be that cheap by that time.

The Core 360 is all ready only fifty more than the Wii. If it only dropped by fifty more, it would be the exact same price as the Wii. Which is a pretty big problem.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Burrito: Why? Pretty much all Nintendo consoles have cost $200 at launch. I can see them not taking it seriously if it's under $200, though. Nintendo just needs a good marketing campaign to get casual gamers to realize how fun it is.

Because many people are programmed to think that the higher the price something is, the better it will be. There will be a huge difference between the price of the PS2 and 360 and Wii, which will certainly alter the outlook buyers will have. Serious gamers will want the best and they may feel safest going with the more expensive system. I know people like this. It's sad, but true.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]The Core 360 is all ready only fifty more than the Wii. If it only dropped by fifty more, it would be the exact same price as the Wii. Which is a pretty big problem.

Anyone buying the Core 360 is the kind of person that doesn't know very much about anything, and would buy a Wii after trying it anyway.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Last Fog: However you look at it's basically a slightly updated gamecube, with a cool new controller and online content.

What the hell? The PS3 is just a slightly updated PS2 with a cool new(ish) controller and online content. The 360 isn't even that. And yet the cheapest one of all is too expensive for you?

Okay...

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Dexter: Because many people are programmed to think that the higher the price something is, the better it will be. There will be a huge difference between the price of the PS2 and 360 and Wii, which will certainly alter the outlook buyers will have. Serious gamers will want the best and they may feel safest going with the more expensive system. I know people like this. It's sad, but true.

I also know a lot of people that just bought the gamcube or nintendo DS because it was the cheapest. Some casual gamers don't have enough money to spend on expensive systems.

Posted by Last Fog

[quote=Dexter]$200 seems too cheap to me. At that price, I could imagine more people taking the system much less seriously, perhaps considering it more of a child's system. I'm not saying I would think that because I know better, but the majority of casual gamers will compare it to the 360 and PS3 and really will consider it less worthy due to the exceptionally cheap price tag.I reiterate what I said about their idea of appealing to non-gamers and their goal to make this as affordable as possible for everyone. If it's possible to sell it for $200, by all means, thats what they should do.

Quoting Wings: What the hell? The PS3 is just a slightly updated PS2 with a cool new(ish) controller and online content. The 360 isn't even that. And yet the cheapest one of all is too expensive for you?

Okay...
Um, in terms of technology the Wii is significantly weaker than the two, therefore it should be significantly cheaper. Nintendo specifically said that they don't see themselves having competetitors, and that they put their system in its own category. And price is about the best way to do this.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Last Fog:

Um, in terms of technology the Wii is significantly weaker than the two, therefore it should be significantly cheaper. Nintendo specifically said that they don't see themselves having competetitors, and that they put their system in its own category. And price is about the best way to do this.

YEAH $250 ISN'T SIGNIFICALLY CHEAPER THAN $600 PSTREE LOL

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Pit: YEAH $250 ISN'T SIGNIFICALLY CHEAPER THAN $600 PSTREE LOL
HEY I WAS REFERRING TO 360 WHICH IS ONLY $400 AND WILL DROP IN PRICE WHEN WII COMES OUT. YES WE ALL KNOW PS3 IS REDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE LOL

Posted by Speedfreak

What are you paying for? Chips and wiring or a fun experience? Considerinf how much fun you'll get from this, it's an absolute bargain.

Quoted post: Anyone buying the Core 360 is the kind of person that doesn't know very much about anything, and would buy a Wii after trying it anyway.

I agree, but the point is still valid. Assuming you don't have broadband, or just don't plan on getting Live, the Core system is perfectly fine. From what we've seen, it's also a strong rival to the PS3's graphics. Yet, it's only fifty bucks more than the Wii. Which, no matter what way you look at it, isn't such a good thing. If Nintendo distanced themselves by another fifty, then people will really notice the difference in price.

Posted by Last Fog

Thanks for repeating everything I said, now maybe poeple will agree...

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]I agree, but the point is still valid. Assuming you don't have broadband, or just don't plan on getting Live, the Core system is perfectly fine. From what we've seen, it's also a strong rival to the PS3's graphics. Yet, it's only fifty bucks more than the Wii. Which, no matter what way you look at it, isn't such a good thing. If Nintendo distanced themselves by another fifty, then people will really notice the difference in price.

Wii already looks more fun than 360 will ever be. If it costs less it's better value than 360 however close the prices are.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: Wii already looks more fun than 360 will ever be. If it costs less it's better value than 360 however close the prices are.
Yeah, since console prices should be based on how much fun its going to be. :rolleyes:

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Last Fog: Yeah, since console prices should be based on how much fun its going to be. :rolleyes:

I think thats how sony fooled itself into thinking $600 was smart.

Quoted post: Wii already looks more fun than 360 will ever be. If it costs less it's better value than 360 however close the prices are.

It's not a better value. Yes, it cost less, but you get what you pay for in both cases. I don't actually know how fun the Wii will be, neither do you. And so far, the 360 has been a really great console that's given me quite a bit of enjoyment out of it. But will it be less fun than the Wii? No, I doubt it. Both consoles offer two completely different experiences - one I will only get on the Wii, and one I'll never get on the Wii.

So what you just said pretty much comes down to preference and nothing more.

Posted by Destructoid

It's crazy. I played some silly games at E3 and I left twitching (that's good). I came to the show as a PS3 fanboy and left a Wii Fanboy, totally not minding deferring my ps3 purchase until I see some better games. I put together some Wii gameplay vids from the show if you're interested, we stood in the eternal line for hours and did the 2 hour wait inside to play Mario Galaxy - which was NUTS. Very gamecube, yet very satisfying. I really struggled with that till I played it. I had (gulp) FUN!

Anyone know when we can preorder these suckers? I also wanna buy one for my dad, who loves video games but doesn't have the motor ability to decipher controls for xbox 360 sports titles. Those games are so complex now, he prefers to play Bases Loaded on an NES emulator! My computer illiterate dad uses Nesticle!!! I think my nephew is also gonna love this thing, and my girlfriend, and my neighbors, and my coworkers, etc etc. They're gonna make a killing.

Posted by

AS EXPECTED NINTENDO IS ONCE AGAIN THE SYSTEM TO BEAT!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by Colonel

This must be the day of reviving threads.

Posted by bigmonkey930

Sony can suck corporate c*ck 600$ Screw off!!! Nintendo actually thinks about pricing $250 thats something gamers can afford

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog]Yeah, since console prices should be based on how much fun its going to be. :rolleyes:

I didn't say that you gibbon. I said Wii looks more fun and it's cheaper, therefore better value. Pay attention.

Posted by xTheDistancex

im not a big fan of nintendo i like the xbox better but its so such a goood price its making me like the system,
i really looking forward on buying this system and its cheap price.
AWSOME!!!

Posted by xTheDistancex

Quoting bigmonkey930: Sony can suck corporate c*ck 600$ Screw off!!! Nintendo actually thinks about pricing $250 thats something gamers can afford

I AGREEE!!!! SONY IS GAY!!!! The only thing they made that was good was the psp!

Posted by xTheDistancex

.hack// how did u do that im a total newbie at this lol u posted somehting on my post ?
how u do that lol
thanks!